• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ; have you tried putting Donkey Kong where Jibanyan is? I feel like that would be just about perfect.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish there was a Super Smash Bros. x Konami DLC pack with the following:

Playable Fighters
  • Solid Snake
  • Simon Belmont
Stages
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Dracula's Castle
Mii Fighter hats
  • Moai
  • Takosuke
  • TwinBee
Mii Brawler costumes
  • Konami Man / Konami Lady
  • Frogger
  • Cornell (I really liked Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness)
Mii Swordfighter costumes
  • Gray Fox
  • Alucard
  • Goemon
Mii Gunner costumes
  • Revolver Ocelot
  • Kid Dracula
  • Pentarou

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
Then there's how Konami is dropping all console development after MGSV.
Do you have a source for this?
So Konami is asking fans on what they should do with most of their franchises through a survey.

http://mobilesurvey.blicx.com/

So Konami's leaving gaming, right guys? In all seriousness, I can AT LEAST be contempt with Konami asking fans with what they want. There's a lot to choose from (suprisngly, no MGS or Silent Hill option. Possible hint toward the future?).
Konami has said they will be focusing more on mobile games in the future but never said they're pulling out of AAA games entirely and even made a statement to reiterate that they will continue to develop AAA games.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/konami...ing-consoles-metal-gear-and-silent-hill-are-e

Furthermore, they've already announced months ago that they've started putting together a team for a "new Metal Gear series". So from the sounds of it they intend to continue Metal Gear but it may be an entirely new series with a new cast of characters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-plan-for-brand-new-metal-gear-solid-series
I found some statements that contradicts that belief. Has Konami confirmed that they are "dropping all console development"?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I disagree respectfully. Ah hem...if Solid Snake becomes a playable character again, I would download him, you would download him, and pretty much almost all of SmashBoards would download him. Snake is a household name.

Look at that Fake Solid Snake Amiibo. Look at it and marvel at its edgy design. You know it looks immaculate. You know you wanna buy it. $
No Thanks. I don't buy a lot of amiibo. But I can assure you that you wont be able to find it anywhere.
Alright, you have your reasons. However, just want to point out once again: The MGS series is FAR from realistic.

• Solid Snake is one of the many clones of Naked Snake/ Big Boss that were made to be the perfect solider
  • The MGS series has had characters that have the power of electricity, a human turned into a cyborg ninja, People with a skull face, A mind reader, and a girl with the ability of turning invisible. Majority of people in the franchise are freaks and stand out from your regular grunts.
  • You end up fighting many robots (metal gear) that have ranged in design. The most recent one is a giant humanoid robot that has a beam sword the length of a building.
  • The weapons have ranged from normal guns, to some ridiculous stuff. In MGS 5, you have the Fulton which is a parachute that carries people and other equipment to your base. There's even a version of the weapon that sends them through a worm hole. In MGS4, there's a gun that shoots solar beams! You have your regular stuff, but then there's stuff that just makes you laugh and think how awesome the weapon is.
  • Finally, the series has had many funny moments that break the "realism" the game tries to portray.
And honestly, reasons why some people want him back is FOR his move set. It may look simple, but it works and no other character has been able to replicate it. If people were uninterested by his move set, we wouldn't want him back in the first place.
I'm not disagreeing that its a work of fiction and still has unrealistic elements, but those aren't embedded in Snake. Yeah, you can say that Snake is a clone of Big Boss made to be the perfect soldier, but that's not really reflected in what he can do. Contrast this to Ryu, who in his world is fairly ordinary, but his abilities are fantastical. Snake uses mostly realistic weapons (Nakita isn't I think, but its not to farfetched to think something like it could be done) and they have some design in the real world. Smash tries its best to stay away from anything that could be construed as realistic. Smash 4 also redesigned items to make them more fantastical. Snake could work in Smash 4 because he worked in Brawl. But he's not the best choice thematically.

I don't think it will happen as Nintendo would have to go through licensing and what not to get a veteran. A but too much work for something that isn't new. I think Ryu could happen because Nintendo has an agreement with Capcom with Megaman aleady in the game and what not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Even though Snake is Kojima's creation, the copyright holder is ultimately Konami. Ethically, Kojima has the final say in what Snake does and doesn't do. Legally, the entity that is Konami does. Then there's how Konami is dropping all console development after MGSV.
True. I should have clarified. I meant to say that in response to those that claim Kojima would be salty if Sakurai tried to get Snake in Smash. There are people who think that, which simply isn't the case.

It's not so much that Kojima has anything to do with it. But he won't hold it against Sakurai. He'd endorse the decision.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Eh, wouldn't consider Layton an icon compared to the status of the rest of those characters.

edit - or Jibanyan.
I'd argue that it would be the case, especially for Jibanyan.
The amount of impact Yokai Watch caused in Japan is somewhat comparable to the impact Star Wars had when it's first film launched:

1. It's toys and merchandise (distributed by Bandai) sell billions of yen in Japan each year.
2. Already getting an attraction in Universal Studios Japan in the span of two years.
3. The games have already sold more than 8 million (in just two years).
4. Has an extremely popular soundtrack (straight from the anime, which is also popular), so popular that it's currently getting it's own Just Dance game based on the songs.

It certainly solidifies him as an icon to me, at least in Japan for now.

Professor Layton is a bit of the same case, whose franchise was the large reason the DS was extremely successful (especially in Europe) with it's unique puzzle gameplay.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 ; have you tried putting Donkey Kong where Jibanyan is? I feel like that would be just about perfect.
I thought about that for a while, perhaps I can do that later one day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No Thanks. I don't buy a lot of amiibo. But I can assure you that you wont be able to find it anywhere.
The third party characters' amiibos have actually had pretty good stock. It's likely a licensing thing where they have to have a certain amount made.

Or, you know, they're iconic enough where it's justified making a lot. Snake's, hypothetically, wouldn't be too hard to find. Just saying.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I mean, who honestly expected 3rd parties to even appear in Brawl? No one was going to expect 3rd party characters getting in, yet it was a dream to many to see the big ones get in with their favorite Nintendo characters. From what we know, besides Kojima asking Sakurai about Snake, there was also Sonic being requested by Yuji Naka. However, it was due to time constraints that it couldn't happen. And to think, at that point, Snake would've had three games on a Nintendo console (Surprisingly more than Sony) and Sonic would JUST be getting his first game on a Nintendo console!

If none of them approached Sakurai, I wonder if the idea of 3rd parties would have ever crossed Sakurai's mind.

Last edited:
(A little off-topic, but I just put a Wurmple to GTS in Pokemon Y and asked for a Turtwig (I intended to trade one from my Omega Ruby, I used GTS because I have only one 3DS), and someone traded me a shiny female HA Turtwig :crazy:)

I wish there was a Super Smash Bros. x Konami DLC pack with the following:

Playable Fighters
  • Solid Snake
  • Simon Belmont
Stages
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Dracula's Castle
Mii Fighter hats
  • Moai
  • Takosuke
  • TwinBee
Mii Brawler costumes
  • Konami Man / Konami Lady
  • Frogger
  • Cornell (I really liked Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness)
Mii Swordfighter costumes
  • Gray Fox
  • Alucard
  • Goemon
Mii Gunner costumes
  • Revolver Ocelot
  • Kid Dracula
  • Pentarou
0/10 No Bomberman

Also, is there anyone else who does not have any amiibos at all?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I don't think i could justify Roy or Captain Falcon if they weren't in Smash, but they are.
Or Ness. And I say this as someone who used to main Ness.

BTW I mentioned this in the Snake thread, but I'd be okay with a Metal Gear being a stage hazard or boss (ala Metal Face) in Shadow Moses Island.

Also I love how when people talk about how other 3rd parties are so associated with Nintendo, they ignore Pac-Man. Pac-Man is in Smash because of his status as a video game icon, period, not any supposed connection with Nintendo. Maybe there are some Nintendo games that are a big hit within the Pac-Man fandom, but for most people, Pac-Man = arcades. There's no getting around that. And Sonic is only recently associated with Nintendo (and some people would say his recent stuff is a sign of his decline as opposed to his peak on his own consoles). I don't think connection with Nintendo is as strong a factor as some people think.

I don't know if Snake will get in as DLC or not. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I've already given up on Ice Climbers. But I hope the Smash ballot will show the Smash team the demand that there is for these two characters and that they'll include them again on whatever the next Smash game is.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The amount of impact Yokai Watch caused in Japan is somewhat comparable to the impact Star Wars had when it's first film launched:

1. It's toys and merchandise (distributed by Bandai) sell billions of yen in Japan each year.
2. Already getting an attraction in Universal Studios Japan in the span of two years.
4. Has an extremely popular soundtrack (straight from the anime, which is also popular), so popular that it's currently getting it's own Just Dance game based on the songs.

Professor Layton is a bit of the same case, whose franchise was the large reason the DS was extremely successful (especially in Europe) with it's unique puzzle gameplay.

I get that Jibanyan is huge in Japan, but he's not got global recognition and he's very new. In time, sure, but not now. Ask anyone in the west who doesn't frequent gaming forums and they almost certainly have no clue who you're talking about. Layton isn't one I'd have chosen but I can appreciate being there as he has been around long enough and been successful enough for me to consider him a modern day gaming icon.

DK on the other hand is a massive icon as a character. Watch any of the "my parents name smash bros characters" and he is one of the very few they consistently get right. And he fights in that colour slot, too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Do you have a source for this?

I found some statements that contradicts that belief. Has Konami confirmed that they are "dropping all console development"?
Hmm. I stand corrected then. Thanks.

I'm not disagreeing that its a work of fiction and still has unrealistic elements, but those aren't embedded in Snake. Yeah, you can say that Snake is a clone of Big Boss made to be the perfect soldier, but that's not really reflected in what he can do. Contrast this to Ryu, who in his world is fairly ordinary, but his abilities are fantastical. Snake uses mostly realistic weapons (Nakita isn't I think, but its not to farfetched to think something like it could be done) and they have some design in the real world. Smash tries its best to stay away from anything that could be construed as realistic. Smash 4 also redesigned items to make them more fantastical. Snake could work in Smash 4 because he worked in Brawl. But he's not the best choice thematically.

I don't think it will happen as Nintendo would have to go through licensing and what not to get a veteran. A but too much work for something that isn't new. I think Ryu could happen because Nintendo has an agreement with Capcom with Megaman aleady in the game and what not.
Supplemental material implies that's not the case. It's said that Dan is actually a good fighter, but everyone else in the cast is much stronger. They're closer to somewhere between a super hero and an ordinary person.

If we want to argue realism, then what about Little Mac? Save for his Giga Mac alter ego, there is nothing about him that anyone couldn't learn to do.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wait wait wait wait.

Hang on.

Snake's realism is reflected in his character?

The man fights with heavy weaponry he conjures out of thin air.

Snake has on his body, at all times, an infinite hammerspace depot's worth of grenades, a bazooka, a mortar cannon, a stinger missile launcher, plastic explosives, land mines, a helicopter drone and a cardboard box.

He even materialises in the middle of battle with...some kind of electric force-field doohickey? Somebody with more Metal Gear experience help me out here.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I get that Jibanyan is huge in Japan, but he's not got global recognition and he's very new. In time, sure, but not now. Ask anyone in the west who doesn't frequent gaming forums and they almost certainly have no clue who you're talking about. Layton isn't one I'd have chosen but I can appreciate being there as he has been around long enough and been successful enough for me to consider him a modern day gaming icon.

DK on the other hand is a massive icon as a character. Watch any of the "my parents name smash bros characters" and he is one of the very few they consistently get right. And he fights in that colour slot, too.
Personally, I think the impact (and the 4 factors I mention Yokai Watch caused in Japan in two years is enough to consider him an icon even though his games haven't been released globally.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Yes, but when I think of gaming icons, I think of highly recognizable characters with a long history of games worldwide. Sure, Yokai Watch is huge in Japan, its still not at the level of Pokemon in peak popularity (worldwide) and has not endured some 10+ years and still be big. Layton is in the same situation to me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
He even materialises in the middle of battle with...some kind of electric force-field doohickey? Somebody with more Metal Gear experience help me out here.
It looks like a cloaking device.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's a CYPHER. From MGS2. Can't remember whether it's Army-grade or Navy, tho'...

Oh. I thought we were talking about his Up-B. Nope, that's stealth camo.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Personally, I think the impact (and the 4 factors I mention Yokai Watch caused in Japan in two years is enough to consider him an icon even though his games haven't been released globally.
Time is not a valid criteria for what is and isn't iconic. Splatoon is not even six months old and is easily one of the biggest games that Nintendo has released and is probably the biggest release of a new IP with the exception of the Wii Sports and Fit games.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
The CEO of Konami "Kagemaza Kozuki" would probably not even give Sakurai the time of day as far as getting permission to put Snake in Smash Bros. The guy wants Konami to focus on health/fitness clubs and cheaper mobile games.
Kozuki also loathes and detests Kojima.

I wonder what went wrong?

It's official. I don't want to admit it, but the Metal Gear franchise will be in Konami's basement/dungeon probably forever.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Time is not a valid criteria for what is and isn't iconic. Splatoon is not even six months old and is easily one of the biggest games that Nintendo has released and is probably the biggest release of a new IP with the exception of the Wii Sports and Fit games.
The two years was more of an extra detail than anything, I wouldn't call time an accomplishment of some sort. :p

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
It's a stealth suit. Seeing it reminds me of one of my Japanese animes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The two years was more of an extra detail than anything, I wouldn't call time an accomplishment of some sort. :p
Even with it being a success in one region isn't quite enough really. Though it's very difficult to make criteria as everything is a case by case basis.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm pretty sure Konami would be okay with Snake in Smash. It's essentially an investment without any physical or economic effort.

The amiibo in itself would be a big hit for Konami. Contrary to popular opinion, Konami aren't incredibly stupid, they're gonna milk that cash cow for all it's worth.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Don't forget about the Pachislots. Konami's focus on what they make may be clear, but I wouldn't say that doesn't mean that if someone like Sakurai wants to make Snake, they'd just say no because it's on a console game.

Though I can say they'd gear for mobile appearances moreso; I will say, if anything from Konami, it's Snake. I can't really see Sakurai going along with anything else.

Even with it being a success in one region isn't quite enough really. Though it's very difficult to make criteria as everything is a case by case basis.
And this is the more important part. We have seen that third parties, for the most part, have been very special cases. Not because "they're ultra popular", but because of specific instances, like Kojima's request, Sonic's massive amounts of requests and eventual delay of the game, PAC-MAN as a whole, Mega Man out of insane demand (pretty much being alongside Sonic as one of the most requested characters ever), and Ryu being a bit more of a mystery to me (perhaps just Sakurai wanting to get Mr. Fighting Game Himself into Smash to show how awesome a character like that can be?)

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ryu being a bit more of a mystery to me (perhaps just Sakurai wanting to get Mr. Fighting Game Himself into Smash to show how awesome a character like that can be?)
Pretty sure Sakurai just told his dev team, "Okay fellas, game's out, you know what that means: WE GON' STREET FIGHT NOW!"

Thus Ryu was born from Sakurai's fondness for Street Fighter and a desire to crank the hype dial up to eleven.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
0/10 No Bomberman
Would you like a Super Smash Bros. x Hudson Soft DLC pack with the following? :p

Playable Fighter
  • Bomberman
Stage
  • Planet Bomber
Mii Fighter hat
  • Star Soldier
Mii Brawler costume
  • Bonk
Mii Swordfighter costume
  • Master Higgins / Tina
Mii Gunner costume
  • Air Zonk

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but it's nowhere close to Donkey Kong. The arcade game is a milestone of gaming, and is continuously referenced in every sort of media. It was the first appearence of Mario which alone is huge. And this is without even taking the Country games in account, which also were a milestone in their own right.
It's like saying that, huh, Elsa from Frozen can be compared to Mickey Mouse in terms of iconicness.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

Eh, I think it's reflected in what he can do. He has a vast knowledge of CQC thanks to Big Boss, and it's something that he would use to take his enemies down, which is shown in game play due to enemies not knowing how to get around it (Best example is the fights that Big Boss has with The Boss). The weapons Snake uses that, I'll admit, would be something to note. In terms of the shape and design, I feel like they could fit right in next to other weapons already in the game.

Take his missiles from the Nakita and also his grenade launcher as an example. They bear a striking resemblance to the missiles shot from the sub machine gun that's already an item in Smash 4. The RPG however, is something that I guess could be seen as a problem. Yet, I view it as just that: A missile launcher. Nothing hard to look around. However, that's my opinion and Not Sakurai's. Besides that though, we have Snake's explosives. His grenade looks like a simple bomb, and we also have a character who uses grenades already (With bandages instead of the green color of Snakes). His C4 is shown to mold into any object, as it would mold into a butterfly (a reference to MGS3) and doesn't look like a regular C4. The landmines also look cartoony enough (And were even changed to fit the aestheic as well) that they fit against the other bombs. To put it into simpler terms, Snake's weapons are fine and would look just as normal as the other items and weapons in the game.

For the final point about licensing, I'll just put it into spoilers to avoid this being a longer post. And it also involves other 3rd parties.

So, it is an undeniable fact that Capcom, Sega, and Namco have an easier time of getting things within Smash Bros. However, I feel like Nintendo could consider working a contract with another company to get a 3rd party in if they do well in the ballot. Now, this is something that could be a risky decision to do, which is why I feel like Nintendo would look for comapnies they have a good relationship with, and also have GOOD ballot support. Snake could possibly fit the second note, though the first is something that is up to Nintendo. This just goes to any 3rd party really. Now why do I consider this? It mainly has to do with what the ballot has asked: What video game character do you want to see in Smash? Now I'm not saying that a 3rd party WILL get in, though with how it is, it makes it seem that Nintendo has opened up that opposition. There's not many other capcom, sega, or namco characters out there that could fit this bill, which is why I find it questionable.

Sorry that was a long post, but I didn't want to hold back and I find it better for me to go through it all and not avoid something because I want to. It's been pleasant debating with you, and I'm glad this hasn't ended up being a pointless argument.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah but it's nowhere close to Donkey Kong. The arcade game is a milestone of gaming, and is continuously referenced in every sort of media. It was the first appearence of Mario which alone is huge. And this is without even taking the Country games in account, which also were a milestone in their own right.
It's like saying that, huh, Elsa from Frozen can be compared to Mickey Mouse in terms of iconicness.
A much better example would be comparing Mickey to Duffy the Disney Bear. Made for the Parks very recently in Japan. Took off there. Like, a phenomenon. In the US? Not nearly as much. Many here view him as the Parks' Scrappy. Disney Trivia, woo.

To stay on topic, there's really no other reason for Snake not to be in beyond Konami saying no for some reason. He fit in Brawl, he'd fit now.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

I don't know about others, but characters like Link, Little Mac, Marth and Zero Suit Samus are rather realistic in their moves, with anything "extraordinary" usually being their recovery, which is kind of excused considering every character can generate shields out of thin air, somehow propel themselves mid-air for a second jump, withstand bombs being thrown at them and somehow fight a two-dimensional being who isn't even visible from their line of vision. Being realistic isn't an excuse, considering the more out of there world that Snake resides in. People control bees, use nanomachines like steroids, can break the fourth wall, talk about internet memes as "DNA of the soul", and smoke a fat one to slow down time. This isn't a world grounded in reality.

Snake's moves have yet to be replicated, there isn't any other character that could feasibly appear that replicates the playstyle and skills Snake brought to Brawl. Considering Sakurai has said that the Pokemon Company was among the most difficult partners to reach out and get content from, yet we saw Mewtwo, I don't think that going into Konami and requesting to use Snake (or any other iconic Konami franchise like Bomberman or Castlevania, for that matter) would be as far-fetched. While Capcom may have rights to both Mega Man and Street Fighter, Capcom USA was the one who made the final decision, not the same Capcom who said "yes" to Mega Man. Konami isn't exactly in any position to deny having any of their iconic characters in a game that makes huge sums of cash, and increases overall interest in the IP.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It's funny, Frozen is a bit comparable to Yokai Watch in almost every way except with the lack of worldwide exposure. :p

He's certain an icon, but not an industry icon like Mario, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know about others, but characters like Link, Little Mac, Marth and Zero Suit Samus are rather realistic in their moves, with anything "extraordinary" usually being their recovery, which is kind of excused considering every character can generate shields out of thin air, somehow propel themselves mid-air for a second jump, withstand bombs being thrown at them and somehow fight a two-dimensional being who isn't even visible from their line of vision. Being realistic isn't an excuse, considering the more out of there world that Snake resides in. People control bees, use nanomachines like steroids, can break the fourth wall, talk about internet memes as "DNA of the soul", and smoke a fat one to slow down time. This isn't a world grounded in reality.

Snake's moves have yet to be replicated, there isn't any other character that could feasibly appear that replicates the playstyle and skills Snake brought to Brawl. Considering Sakurai has said that the Pokemon Company was among the most difficult partners to reach out and get content from, yet we saw Mewtwo, I don't think that going into Konami and requesting to use Snake (or any other iconic Konami franchise like Bomberman or Castlevania, for that matter) would be as far-fetched. While Capcom may have rights to both Mega Man and Street Fighter, Capcom USA was the one who made the final decision, not the same Capcom who said "yes" to Mega Man. Konami isn't exactly in any position to deny having any of their iconic characters in a game that makes huge sums of cash, and increases overall interest in the IP.
Any Nintendo/Advance Wars character could fit into the style of Snake's moveset with some tweaks, except they're more cartoony characters.

Last edited:
Speaking of Snake, has anyone here ever played Ape Escape 3? I'm asking because it had a minigame based on Metal Gear, and ironically, that's the nearest thing to Metal Gear that I've ever played.

(I'm sorry if this is off-topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom