• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd assume they would have probably said something by now if Direct's are really no more.....

We may still get one, but probably around the end of the month. We are just halfway through this month now.....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd assume they would have probably said something by now if Direct's are really no more.....

We may still get one, but probably around the end of the month. We are just halfway through this month now.....
I think one major factor might've been the fact that at the start of the month we had Gamescom, then D-23. Nintendo may want to have a week where there's nothing else going on so the attention is on them.

D

Deleted member

Regarding the Nintendo Direct issue with Iwata.....

My thought on the matter is that Iwata's passing does affect the Company regarding Nintendo Directs, even if it is just a little......

I think we are gonna get a new Direct at the end of August. (like 27 or so).

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So I was in the Simon Belmont thread and I thought...

What are the odds of some Konami love from Nintendo like with Capcom.

Capcom had Mega Man, Ryu, and Pheonix Wright as their main Smash contenders where Konami has Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Snake. Capcom got two out of three, what if Konami got the same?

Which two would you want to get the spots? I'm going with Simon and Snake.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Capcom had Mega Man, Ryu, and Pheonix Wright as their main Smash contenders where Konami has Bomberman, Simon Belmont, and Snake. Capcom got two out of three, what if Konami got the same?

I would like Snake and Bomberman. That would make me extremely happy.

Bomberman and Snake. I like Simon too but Bomberman is my favorite of the three and Snake is a veteran.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

Simon and Snake.
Simon for the other half of MetroidVania and Snake for his veteran status.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Konami doesn't deserve any love in Smash Bros., ever.
Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, however, are a different story.

D

Deleted member

My most wanted of the three is Simon. As for the second spot, I'd be fine with either of the other two.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Update:

* Chrom:

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389184xD5b741Ff-15

* Donbe and Hikari:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389186x2ec7aAAD-15

* Lloyd Irving:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389191x1e654235-15

* Toon Zelda:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389193x20564991-15

* Yoshimitsu:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389195x103d40f9-15

Also important news, we are getting closer to October 3rd which is the end of submitting characters to the ballot. I want the polls to end by September 3rd so people are given a lot of time to finish all polls, so I want to ask you this, how many characters should I do per day? The one with the highest votes will be the number I do for each day.

Please answer here:
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll389197x5FDbc488-15

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think they would have to release a Smash Bros. pachinko machine for Konami characters to appear in the Smash Bros. series again.

D

Deleted member

Im still waiting for a response in the Simon Belmont thread...
Seriously, i went as far as making an OP idea, but nobody has given me an awnser if i can be the new owner of said thread.

Well....any other ideas to discuss?

random rendum

Smash Journeyman

I think bomberman fits in the most, and snake would be ok, but konami is in a bad situation, snake mainly was a request for kojima, and konami probably isn't interested in Nintendo, honestly, hudson soft should've taken bomberman over to the new company, I never played bomberman, but I think he would fit in the most, and konami definitely isn't getting 2 reps imo, still support the characters, im just saying... still i'd prefer bomberman, simon imo is the most unlikely, konami needs to get in check, crappy working conditions, firing kojima, any konami stuff is extremely unlikely.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but...
https://twitter.com/Stealth___/status/632953934815076352/photo/1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72333117
apparently some people on Gamefaqs are speculating that Tingle may be a playable character due to this post. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
I believe that was confirmed fake because it doesn't match up with Mario's sprite.
Not to mention that sprite is most likely from Hyrule Warriors's Adventure Mode.
On the other hand, if it is real, it's probably just an unlockable for Mario Maker, and not connected to an amiibo. In which case, they could add other Zelda characters. >.<

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Which two would I want?

Bomberman and Simon Belmont easily. But honestly, I don't really want any of them too much.

And I don't find any of the three super likely.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

BigB_ch

Smash Rookie
I'm a Nintendo fans since the 80s, therefore I really would love to see some of the classic characters made an apperance in SSB4 as DLC and also voted for them in the official Fighter Ballot.

• First of all is Foreman Spike, which had his Debut in Wrecking Crew on the NES. He later appered in Wrecking Crew 98 (SFC) and Mobile Golf (GBC), his digger made it into Mario Kart DS as Waluigis Vehicle.
  • Another character is Mike, known for his adventures in the great zelda-like adventure games StarTropics 1 and 2 on NES. I really would love to see him back in action in SSB4 with his Yo-Yo.
  • Then there is Master Joe. A 52-years old, bearded tennis master with a 240 km/h service and reigning number 1 in the wolrd ranking at Nintendos Top Rank Tennis (or Top Ranking Tennis in Europe) for Game Boy. He would make a great baddass character.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. is also one of the most popular video game characters of the 80s and had his own cartoon series in Saturday Supercade. After his apparences in Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis 64 we are still waiting for his comeback, but unfortunately it seems that Diddy has taken his spot. A great reason to bring him back and fight for the spotlight alongside Donkey Kong.
  • The Ice Hockey Players from the classic NES sports game with the different type (thin, fat and medium) and an ultra smash with the ice machine would also be a nice addition to the roster.
  • Urban Champion was like a grand father to the SSB-series. You had to beat your opponent by throwing him into a gully. During the fight there were obstacles like police cars and flower pots. It’s time for the good old Urban Champion to get back in action.
  • R.L. Stevenson was the main protagonist in the Zapper-Game Gumshoe. He needed to collect rare diamonds to save his daughter. And he is the only character from a Nintendo Zapper-game, which was not included into the Duck Hunt-character.
  • In Donkey Kong 3 Stanley the Bugman made his debut by protecting the greenhouse from Donkey Kong and other creatures. He moved on to be the charactrer in the Game & Watch Greehouse. Time for a return.

And there are some interesting 3rd party-character, which also would be great to see in Smash Bros.

• Adventure Islands main protagonist Master Higgins had at least 10 appearences on Nintendo consoles from NES to Wii. Together with his different dinosaur friends and weapons he would be a gread addition to the actual roster. Like Bomerman and Simons Belmont (would also be nice DLC-characters), he also appered in the Smash-Bros.-like beat 'em up DreamMix TV World Fighters for GameCube.
  • Since his SNES-debut Plok has became something like a cult character. He returned some time ago in weekle comics trips in which he also starded training for his smash bros. apperance. The Pickford Bros. – his creators - also would love to see him back in action.With his talents to throw arms and legs and different costumes and abilities, he really should be oncluded into SSB4.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Donkey Kong Jr. is also one of the most popular video game characters of the 80s and had his own cartoon series in Saturday Supercade. After his apparences in Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis 64 we are still waiting for his comeback, but unfortunately it seems that Diddy has taken his spot. A great reason to bring him back and fight for the spotlight alongside Donkey Kong.
Not to demean your characters or anything, just pointing out that Donkey Kong Jr. is literally Donkey Kong but younger.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Wait, I thought that Donkey Kong Jr. was considered the father of the current Donkey Kong, with Cranky being his grandfather and the DK from the original arcade.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not to demean your characters or anything, just pointing out that Donkey Kong Jr. is literally Donkey Kong but younger.
That's implied due to the events of Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart 64. Donkey Kong Jr. grows up to become Donkey Kong.

I don't think there's been an official statement, just conflicting stuff among the various Mario and Donkey Kong games. Not that it even matters otherwise, as adding DK Jr. would be for his own merits and unique ideas. Much like how Dr. Mario was added for more than just being a clone alone. That was one thing. But having notable assets like music and being from a popular spin-off of the Mario series made him an even easier choice. All the clones made sense for more than "they were simply easy".

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe that was confirmed fake because it doesn't match up with Mario's sprite.
Not to mention that sprite is most likely from Hyrule Warriors's Adventure Mode.
On the other hand, if it is real, it's probably just an unlockable for Mario Maker, and not connected to an amiibo. In which case, they could add other Zelda characters. >.<
Honestly, using Hyrule Warrior's adventure mode sprites is PERFECT. It makes things a lot easier.

Not going to lie; a Hyrule Warriors amiibo line would be great with the 3DS game coming out next year.
I think Hyrule Warriors could have the Legend of Zelda Amiibo line released alongside it (NOT a "Hyrule Warriors" line, there will never be a Hyrule Warriors Amiibo, best case would be all HW characters getting into the Zelda line, but that'd be iffy due to the game's original characters), and they add a special Amiibo mode where you can only play with Amiibo to both versions, where you level up the Amiibo and save the data and can of course take it to a friend's house. Its kinda pointless on the 3DS honestly, but would work pretty well for the Wii U version.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm a Nintendo fans since the 80s, therefore I really would love to see some of the classic characters made an apperance in SSB4 as DLC and also voted for them in the official Fighter Ballot.

• First of all is Foreman Spike, which had his Debut in Wrecking Crew on the NES. He later appered in Wrecking Crew 98 (SFC) and Mobile Golf (GBC), his digger made it into Mario Kart DS as Waluigis Vehicle.
  • Another character is Mike, known for his adventures in the great zelda-like adventure games StarTropics 1 and 2 on NES. I really would love to see him back in action in SSB4 with his Yo-Yo.
  • Then there is Master Joe. A 52-years old, bearded tennis master with a 240 km/h service and reigning number 1 in the wolrd ranking at Nintendos Top Rank Tennis (or Top Ranking Tennis in Europe) for Game Boy. He would make a great baddass character.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. is also one of the most popular video game characters of the 80s and had his own cartoon series in Saturday Supercade. After his apparences in Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis 64 we are still waiting for his comeback, but unfortunately it seems that Diddy has taken his spot. A great reason to bring him back and fight for the spotlight alongside Donkey Kong.
  • The Ice Hockey Players from the classic NES sports game with the different type (thin, fat and medium) and an ultra smash with the ice machine would also be a nice addition to the roster.
  • Urban Champion was like a grand father to the SSB-series. You had to beat your opponent by throwing him into a gully. During the fight there were obstacles like police cars and flower pots. It’s time for the good old Urban Champion to get back in action.
  • R.L. Stevenson was the main protagonist in the Zapper-Game Gumshoe. He needed to collect rare diamonds to save his daughter. And he is the only character from a Nintendo Zapper-game, which was not included into the Duck Hunt-character.
  • In Donkey Kong 3 Stanley the Bugman made his debut by protecting the greenhouse from Donkey Kong and other creatures. He moved on to be the charactrer in the Game & Watch Greehouse. Time for a return.
And there are some interesting 3rd party-character, which also would be great to see in Smash Bros.

• Adventure Islands main protagonist Master Higgins had at least 10 appearences on Nintendo consoles from NES to Wii. Together with his different dinosaur friends and weapons he would be a gread addition to the actual roster. Like Bomerman and Simons Belmont (would also be nice DLC-characters), he also appered in the Smash-Bros.-like beat 'em up DreamMix TV World Fighters for GameCube.
  • Since his SNES-debut Plok has became something like a cult character. He returned some time ago in weekle comics trips in which he also starded training for his smash bros. apperance. The Pickford Bros. – his creators - also would love to see him back in action.With his talents to throw arms and legs and different costumes and abilities, he really should be oncluded into SSB4.
Welcome to the site! You really love retros, hm? :)

:231:

jamesster445

Smash Lord

You forgot Thomas from Kung Fu.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

...Hmm...well, there's nothing WRONG with any of these retro newcomers...
...but none of them are particularly exciting.

...You know what I mean?

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord

Found it on Facebook
Well, I suppose it's a fake leak? I'm not going to believe it anyway. Plus I don't see specific Palutena's Guidance conversations being added anytime soon.

Something else that may be interesting, a new article on Source Gaming where Sakurai answers to some questions some time after Brawl's release. It may be interesting to see how the three character without Subspace Emissary role were almost going to be cut, and how Wolf got in over Krystal.

Another thing, Sakurai said that the Wii Remote was a reason why L-cancel was removed... I mean, I doubt that Wiimote only not being an option would have an impact on whether L-cancel was going to return or not, but it still sounds kinda dumb. In all honesty this control option is so terrible I wouldn't have minded it not being allowed, though at the same time I admit it was the only option for me at a time to do free-for-alls with four players.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Forever? For all characters? For future characters? Can you prove it?
All 4 current DLC characters have the "Fighter from another dimension!" thing. Even poor Lucas. Why get about 3/4 VA's back in to record a few lines? They're expensive, they have schedules and other things to work on (Especially Hynden Walch (Viridi)) plus it's just an inconvenience for them to go in and record maybe 3-4 lines tops.

Well, I suppose it's a fake leak? I'm not going to believe it anyway. Plus I don't see specific Palutena's Guidance conversations being added anytime soon.

Something else that may be interesting, a new article on Source Gaming where Sakurai answers to some questions some time after Brawl's release. It may be interesting to see how the three character without Subspace Emissary role were almost going to be cut, and how Wolf got in over Krystal.

Another thing, Sakurai said that the Wii Remote was a reason why L-cancel was removed... I mean, I doubt that Wiimote only not being an option would have an impact on whether L-cancel was going to return or not, but it still sounds kinda dumb. In all honesty this control option is so terrible I wouldn't have minded it not being allowed, though at the same time I admit it was the only option for me at a time to do free-for-alls with four players.
So the rumor that Jigglypuff was nearly cut is true... I wonder if Jigglypuff was low priority in Sm4sh as well?

D

Deleted member

Found it on Facebook
Obvious fake for numerous reasons, but it made me smile.

One big glaring reason (that has nothing to do with that it's Ridley or that it's a DLC character with a Guidance or that Hades is part of the discussion) is the obvious editing around the text, including covering up the P2 life bar incompletely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom