• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
When it comes to Rhythm Heaven, it just can't help but think...

Why has nobody talked about the Barista?

I mean, he technically appears in every game in the series, is probably rather close to a mascot, can do anything for the series due to never appearing in a game (except Airboarder), and is clearly visually associated with the series due to the headphones. So what gives?
lol I thought you said Batista.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
To be fair, though, R.O.B isn't a game character either, he just cameos in them (yes, he's first-party but it's the same exact problem; toy before video game). Besides, I have a reasoning for why it could work, anyways; even in spite of the whole "not video-game character" issue; it has to do with Japanese toy company things and Amiibo, so I still think it's possible. It's not like a Goku situation, where there's literally no chance in hell of it happening; there's a minuscule, tiny chance it could happen to Prime.

Besides, we now have a support thread for the friggin' IdolM@sters; a series that has never been released outside of Japan and is at best rather obscure worldwide. Sakurai's the kind of person who does what he thinks would please the most people; and if that means having to enter talks with Takara about putting a character of theirs in Smash, he'd do it.

And let's be real, how fast would an Optimus Prime amiibo sell out? :p
ROB isn't JUST a toy though, he was a piece of hardware that was compatible with video games...The same way the Zapper is a toy that is compatible with Video games such as Duck Hunt...It isn't really the same given the fact that the Transformers were originally just toys that happened to sell like hotcakes back in the day...

Transformers doesn't really have anything to do with Nintendo, and they aren't particularly known as a video game franchise, at least the Dragon Ball Z video games are widely popular, unlike Transformers video games which are just...there...
They are better known for their toys and the TV show and Michael Bay explosions....

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
ROB is a different situation. He's a Nintendo character. Optimus is not. IdolMasters is still a game. If Sakurai wanted to please the most people, I'm pretty sure Smash would be ****ed up. The game is about Nintendo's history. Yes, there are guests, but they have had an impact on Nintendo in some way. Snake and Ryu don't really have that big of an impact on Nintendo but the companies they come from do. Optimus Prime has done the exact same thing as he has done for any console. Sakurai is intent on a balance with his vision of Smash (Nintendo's legacy) and fan demand.
Technically, R.O.B's not a character, though; it has no personality, motives or really anything to make it a character. I'd also like to point out that Prime's appeared in the same game as Snake and Simon Belmont, actually; it's a Japan-only game for the Gamecube and PS2, and was a joint venture between Takara, Hudson and Konami...it was multiplatform, but still. :p

And yes, IdolMasters is a game; but it's also Japan-exclusive at the moment and highly obscure. And if we REALLY want to be technical, Takara's also made multiple games of the series only on Nintendo consoles; two for the Famicom/NES and there was going to be one made for the SNES by Argonaut Software using the Super FX chip (but that later evolved into the game Vortex), which would have probably looked similar to the original Star Fox.

Sakurai knows Smash has a big Western following, and if we try to, he may just think about doing it. Even if Smash is to celebrate Nintendo's history, you kinda lose that once you start seeing characters like Goku and Shrek skyrocket up polls. At least Prime is somewhat possible, if not very likely at all. I mean, I fully admit that the likelihood of me seeing it happen is pretty much zero. But I'd still love to put some support in regardless, and at least there's some chance of it, unlike with other characters in the same boat.
Again, we know Sakurai takes input from Western fans; we'd never have gotten Little Mac if he didn't. So if he sees people want a character, he'll look into the idea of using that character, regardless of what we try to reason. If he sees Optimus Prime on the polls, he'll consider the option, even if not for this game, or even the next. He'll still have the idea, regardless. Smash is as much a marketing ploy as it is a celebration, so considering how lax Japanese companies are with licensing, I could definitely see it happening if Sakurai decides to try it.

And without the wild speculation, where's the fun in the Smash speculation scene, anyways? These left-field ideas are straight-up Sakurai's alley, even if not for the Ballot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Technically, R.O.B's not a character, though; it has no personality, motives or really anything to make it a character
Hey screw you, ROB loves kids, hates the death of his own kind and wanted to get kids to buy gaming, ROB has the best personality of all Nintendo characters. Next you'll call Geodude a mere rock with arms

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
R.O.B. is a creation of what is primarily a video game company. Optimus Prime isn't. So he's not eligible.

Please don't taint this thread by seriously discussing whether Optimus Prime can be in Smash.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
How is it "tainting" the thread? It's not like you have to agree with me, I'm just debating the merits of a fictional character getting into a fighting game. It's not like I'd have killed your dog by mentioning the idea of Optimus Prime in Smash.

If anything'd "taint" Smash, it'd be having Goku in the game. :/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As of late I've been seeing a lot of Rhythm Heaven videos on YouTube and I would really like a stage and music from there. It's insanely catchy.

Not yet sure on a character, although I can see what they meant by a rhythm based moveset. I don't think it would properly work in a chaotic environment like Smash, to be honest and might simply be a Final Smash.

:231:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is... Is Optimus Prime seriously being discussed as a Smash candidate? :drwtf:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
And the Megaman Zero (from the Game Boy Advance games)?
He has a lot of potential to be in smash, just think about it...
He had Z-Buster, Z-Saber, Z-Knuckle (i don't want this to be a copy ability from the kirby series), Boomerang Shield, Recoil Rod, Chain Rod and Triple Rod.
And his final smash is a mix between Megaman (summoning his incarnations) and Shulk (sword attacks).
What do you think about this?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Technically, R.O.B's not a character, though; it has no personality, motives or really anything to make it a character. I'd also like to point out that Prime's appeared in the same game as Snake and Simon Belmont, actually; it's a Japan-only game for the Gamecube and PS2, and was a joint venture between Takara, Hudson and Konami...it was multiplatform, but still. :p

And yes, IdolMasters is a game; but it's also Japan-exclusive at the moment and highly obscure. And if we REALLY want to be technical, Takara's also made multiple games of the series only on Nintendo consoles; two for the Famicom/NES and there was going to be one made for the SNES by Argonaut Software using the Super FX chip (but that later evolved into the game Vortex), which would have probably looked similar to the original Star Fox.

Sakurai knows Smash has a big Western following, and if we try to, he may just think about doing it. Even if Smash is to celebrate Nintendo's history, you kinda lose that once you start seeing characters like Goku and Shrek skyrocket up polls. At least Prime is somewhat possible, if not very likely at all. I mean, I fully admit that the likelihood of me seeing it happen is pretty much zero. But I'd still love to put some support in regardless, and at least there's some chance of it, unlike with other characters in the same boat.
Again, we know Sakurai takes input from Western fans; we'd never have gotten Little Mac if he didn't. So if he sees people want a character, he'll look into the idea of using that character, regardless of what we try to reason. If he sees Optimus Prime on the polls, he'll consider the option, even if not for this game, or even the next. He'll still have the idea, regardless. Smash is as much a marketing ploy as it is a celebration, so considering how lax Japanese companies are with licensing, I could definitely see it happening if Sakurai decides to try it.

And without the wild speculation, where's the fun in the Smash speculation scene, anyways? These left-field ideas are straight-up Sakurai's alley, even if not for the Ballot.
As @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said above, ROB is a character. And he still is a character created by Nintendo, a video game franchise and what Smash is about, Optimus Prime is not. I'm pretty sure Sakurai is very strongly against putting characters in who are not video game characters (he joked about Spongebob and Goku, Optimus is no different). IdolMasters IS STILL A GAME FIRST. Its a series made by Namco Bandai and is a game, which is why there is a thread. It may be very unlikely, but its still a game first. By the way, saying that there's Transformers games exclusive on Nintendo consoles is kind of a stupid argument when there are multiple Transformer games on other systems. Goku has Nintendo exclusive games, so what.

Troykv

Smash Master
I have a weird feeling that I'm seeing that the Im@s and R.O.B. are being compared with Optimus Prime.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
As of late I've been seeing a lot of Rhythm Heaven videos on YouTube and I would really like a stage and music from there. It's insanely catchy.

Not yet sure on a character, although I can see what they meant by a rhythm based moveset. I don't think it would properly work in a chaotic environment like Smash, to be honest and might simply be a Final Smash.

:231:

Rhythm heaven has the best music why on earth does it not have a stage at the least

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Touhou in Smash would be a dream come true for yours truly.

That said, I am aware that it will never happen, due to the fact that Touhou has never made it to a Nintendo console.

It almost got there with Touhou Smash Battles, but I'm pretty sure that's PC-exclusive now too.

reimu tho

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

That said, I am aware that it will never happen, due to the fact that Touhou has never made it to a Nintendo console.

It almost got there with Touhou Smash Battles, but I'm pretty sure that's PC-exclusive now too.

reimu tho
Reimu is neat but my favourite will always be Hina

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

reimu tho
^ How I feel about a Dark Souls rep.
:urg:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Solaire of Astora moveset:
Neutral :GCB:: Lightning Spear: Throws a chargable, electrical spear.
Side :GCB:l: Firebomb: Solaire throws a bomb in an arc in front of him.
Up :GCB:: Sunlight Blade: Solaire infuses his sword with lightning and does a rising slash.
Down :GCB:: Parry / Riposte: Solaire reflects an oncoming attack with his shield, and then counter-attacks.

Final Smash: Warriors of Sunlight: Solaire summons two Gold Phantoms to fight alongside him for a limited time.

Taunts:
1. "Praise the Sun!" gesture
2. "Well! What is it!" gesture
3. Bowing gesture

Done.

This is probably a dumb question, but.... Who are Reimu and Solaire?
Solaire is only the most sun-praising-est hero in all of the land.
Educate yourself:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/solaire-of-astora

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This is probably a dumb question, but.... Who are Reimu and Solaire?
Reimu Hakurei from Touhou.

Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls.

Neither would happen, due to the fact that the former is PC-exclusive and the latter has never set foot anywhere near a Nintendo console, but it's fun to imagine~

(And now I remember that I actually made two movesets (specials, Final Smash, entrance, taunts) for Garfield, one of them was solo Garfield and other one was Garfield and Odie tag team)

Reimu Hakurei from Touhou.

Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls.

Neither would happen, due to the fact that the former is PC-exclusive and the latter has never set foot anywhere near a Nintendo console, but it's fun to imagine~
Okay... I've never played either Touhou or Dark Souls so no wonder the names didn't sound familiar....

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, Smogon's better than the anti-Smogon, I say this as a casual. Also, wouldn't Dark Souls perfectly represent dodge roll spam?
Actually, I was thinking of a unique gimmick where a Dark Souls character had a stamina bar, and they could roll constantly (impossible to punish) so long as they had stamina. XD

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

reimu tho
You know...in Japan, Band Brothers managed to get tracks from ZUN's music CDs. None of the music comes from the games (it's all Akyuu's Untouched Score and the Audio Book stuff), but still, at least Touhou has some presence in Nintendo, even if it's small...

Maybe some day, more will come?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You know...in Japan, Band Brothers managed to get tracks from ZUN's music CDs. None of the music comes from the games (it's all Akyuu's Untouched Score and the Audio Book stuff), but still, at least Touhou has some presence in Nintendo, even if it's small...

Maybe some day, more will come?
Good enough for me!

I mean, I'd rather Sakuya if I had a choice (obvs), but hey, Reimu would be the GOAT~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom