• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The entire thing is speculation, no more than anything anyone else says. There is zero evidence Chrom was ever planned to be playable, and zero explanation as to why Chrom would be on an outdated leak and not Robin, when Robin was on the FIRST draft of the character roster. Being outdated is one thing, but there's NO DAMN EXCUSE for missing both Robin and Rosalina when BOTH were on the earliest draft of the roster. That leak SHOULD have had both Chrom and Robin on it.

Legit leakers lie later to get attention, and I even commented on one of Source Gaming's articles discussing the Gematsu leak where they were debating in an all-or-nothing fashion; either its totally fake or its totally legit. I commented and said "Why must it be all-or-nothing? Can't the guy have had some legit info and made up the rest?"

The response I got was something on the lines of "The guy was anonymous, he had no reason to want to get attention, and legit leakers never release fake information later on." or something like that.

The problem with this is that the internet in general is anonymous and people do stuff all the time on the internet to get attention, so this is false right off the bad. Secondly, this very leaker outright LIED at the end of his term, stating that Shulk was GOING to be shown, and Robin was shown instead. He outright stated that he knew it was going to be Shulk, but obviously he didn't, he was only cashing in on the fact that everyone already believed it would be Shulk anyway.

And no, the trailer wasn't replaced at the last second, because Shulk's trailer is only two minutes long, and Robin's trailer was ALMOST (not quite) three minutes long, which was what was stated in advance about the trailer (that it'd be three minutes). That trailer was not replaced at the last second, especially since Robin and Lucina were revealed in Famitsu immediately after the trailer showed.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The entire thing is speculation, no more than anything anyone else says. There is zero evidence Chrom was ever planned to be playable, and zero explanation as to why Chrom would be on an outdated leak and not Robin, when Robin was on the FIRST draft of the character roster. Being outdated is one thing, but there's NO DAMN EXCUSE for missing both Robin and Rosalina when BOTH were on the earliest draft of the roster. That leak SHOULD have had both Chrom and Robin on it.

Legit leakers lie later to get attention, and I even commented on one of Source Gaming's articles discussing the Gematsu leak where they were debating in an all-or-nothing fashion; either its totally fake or its totally legit. I commented and said "Why must it be all-or-nothing? Can't the guy have had some legit info and made up the rest?"

The response I got was something on the lines of "The guy was anonymous, he had no reason to want to get attention, and legit leakers never release fake information later on." or something like that.

The problem with this is that the internet in general is anonymous and people do stuff all the time on the internet to get attention, so this is false right off the bad. Secondly, this very leaker outright LIED at the end of his term, stating that Shulk was GOING to be shown, and Robin was shown instead. He outright stated that he knew it was going to be Shulk, but obviously he didn't, he was only cashing in on the fact that everyone already believed it would be Shulk anyway.

And no, the trailer wasn't replaced at the last second, because Shulk's trailer is only two minutes long, and Robin's trailer was ALMOST (not quite) three minutes long, which was what was stated in advance about the trailer (that it'd be three minutes). That trailer was not replaced at the last second, especially since Robin and Lucina were revealed in Famitsu immediately after the trailer showed.
Excellent points. Duck Hunt should probably have been mentioned as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

This is main issue with Gemastu itself. It wasn't that he was wrong but he straight lied on his information for e-fame and people lapped it up like he was the Smash Prophet.

Remember Sakurai actually planned his reveals, don't believe me;
:4littlemac: was aired on February 13 of 2014. AKA the 35th anniversary of Punch Out when it launched in the arcade. Hhe doesn't go by what he hears especially internet rumors. Only legit leak that got to him was ESRB Leak and Royucas Data mining a day before the E3 Smash Direct because that showed GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, not believable post

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People still don't consider that the leaker looked at pre-planned documents?

I mean before project slides, there's writing ideas down on paper.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Maybe he found the documents from the waste paper basket, which explains why Chrom was scrapped during the planning stages. :troll:

:231:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would be cool if this guy (Vincent, right?) got in Smash. I like to imagine that Vincent would be like the eponymous boy who drew cats... where his paintings come to life. Projectiles and shields come from his paintings.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think that's faulty logic though. I would think there are people out there who would love to mess with other people regardless of whether they got recognition for it.

Think about it, if you have legit information.....even if nobody knows who you are you have the power to mess with a large fanbase. It's not just an issue of recognition but also having the ability to sway people.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Great post.

One somewhat believable theory I've seen is that the leaker was an E3 employee of some sort, which would explain the initial correct leaks before E3 2013 and the sudden switch to "Mii Fighter" right before E3 2014.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I think that's faulty logic though. I would think there are people out there who would love to mess with other people regardless of whether they got recognition for it.

Think about it, if you have legit information.....even if nobody knows who you are you have the power to mess with a large fanbase. It's not just an issue of recognition but also having the ability to sway people.
I understand why some people are willing to do that but there are a lot of people who don't want things leaked for the sake of being surprised, regardless of the intent of the leaker.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Great post.

One somewhat believable theory I've seen is that the leaker was an E3 employee of some sort, which would explain the initial correct leaks before E3 2013 and the sudden switch to "Mii Fighter" right before E3 2014.
That's my theory. Nintendo hires people to do their E3 presentations. It was probably someone hired for that who saw the E3 trailer early. Maybe he saw a few concepts of some other characters to appear later as well. Then the following E3 he got re-hired, so he knew about Mii Fighters.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Omni's "leak" was a publicity stunt.

A better example would be one of the Dr. Mario stage "leakers" who's gone on record stating he stayed up all night looking at people's tweets and reactions, calling it "such a high".
I realized that Rayman on was a poor example which is why I edited my post but you are right about the Dr. Mario one.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Why is the Gematsu leak being discussed again? What's the point? It doesn't matter who he was and how he got his information; the leak proved to be inaccurate and the leaker was caught lying. It's not a reliable source of information.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why is the Gematsu leak being discussed again? What's the point? It doesn't matter who he was and how he got his information; the leak proved to be inaccurate and the leaker was caught lying. It's not a reliable source of information.
It keeps getting brought up only because of the off chance we'll somehow see Chorus Kids. Which is basically impossible at this point. Even if they WERE considered (unlikely), they're not highly requested and aren't popular at all, really.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They might've got cut because of 3DS limitations, but I don't think they would discard the idea again just because they weren't popular or highly requested if they wanted to get them working again.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It keeps getting brought up only because of the off chance we'll somehow see Chorus Kids. Which is basically impossible at this point. Even if they WERE considered (unlikely), they're not highly requested and aren't popular at all, really.
Well, there's also the fact that even if they were considered (which, again, is questionable), they ultimately didn't make it in. In that case, that would likely be the result of either technical issues (considering they would be a trio, when a veteran duo was already too much to handle), or just being low priority. Or both. Either scenario does not make them ideal choices for DLC, especially when DLC appears to be focused on giving fans what they want, rather than adding what the developers didn't get to work for the base game.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I never liked the Chorus Kids.

I'm a Karate Joe/Wrestler guy.

But even then a RH rep doesn't entice me alot

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Rhythm Heaven is one of those series I feel would make for a killer stage, assist trophy and music selection...just not a playable character.

Seriously; Rhythm Wrestler is perfect for an AT. He could make everyone "POSE FOR THE FANS" (aka taunt).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Rhythm Heaven is one of those series I feel would make for a killer stage, assist trophy and music selection...just not a playable character.
I disagree. I see tons of potential in Karate Joe alone.
Whether he has a mechanic that strongly encourage combos and buffs him when he gets them, or just simple, bizarre design choices like a jab that reflects weak projectiles would easily make him stand out.

Although he doesn't need to have a completely crazy, never-been done before fighting style to feel unique from the other fighters. Nobody does.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Seriously; Rhythm Wrestler is perfect for an AT. He could make everyone "POSE FOR THE FANS" (aka taunt).
My problem is that I'm so unfamiliar with the series. I'm totally lost in the conversations, but from what I've seen, I'm not too interested. Who knows, maybe if I tried the series out... but it just doesn't look like my kind of game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Chorus Kids in a minigame that you tap the touch screen to either make them song or not? Yeah, I'm that clue-less lol.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
My problem is that I'm so unfamiliar with the series. I'm totally lost in the conversations, but from what I've seen, I'm not too interested. Who knows, maybe if I tried the series out... It just doesn't look like my kind of game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Chorus Kids in a minigame that you tap the touch screen to either make them song or not? Yeah, I'm that clue-less lol.
The Rhythm Heaven games are a bunch of minigames where you tap the screen in tune to the rhythm (duh its called rhythm heaven). Chorus Kids appear in 2 games.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Rhythm Heaven games are a bunch of minigames where you tap the screen in tune to the rhythm (duh its called rhythm heaven). Chorus Kids appear in every single game.
No they don't. In fact, Chorus Kids only appear in TWO games. The second of which is still Japan only.

The only character to appear in every game is Karate Joe I believe. Though there's always a vaguely similar girl who appears on the boxart of each game (she doesn't appear in the actual game itself, probably because she's just a stand-in for the player I'd guess).

:4greninja:

Last edited:

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
The DLC characters that I look forward to coming to Smash or at least one of them coming are Wolf, Shantae, Simon Belmont, Ridley, Viewtiful Joe and Krystal. Wolf because I played him a lot in Brawl and I think Fox needs his arch rival. Shantae because I think she can be one of the most unique characters with what she can do in her games. Simon Belmont because Castlevania was with Nintendo for a while and hasn't been represented. Ridley may not ever happen but it would be nice to play as Samus' arch nemesis. Viewtiful Joe fits perfectly with Smash from how he looks to even his moves, he could use his VFX powers as specials. I want Krystal to be in because honestly she could be a mix of StarFox Adventures and Assault which can give her a unique moveset and make her stand out from the other Star Fox characters.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
People always push for Karate Joe, the Wrestler, or the Chorus Kids but isn't Marshal supposed to be the Mascot of the series? Wouldn't that be like adding Charizard or Mewtwo before Pikachu?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys what are you talking abo....

*Sees Gematsu and RH Discussion*

Err nevermind.....
...If RH is getting any more content, i think it would be Mii costumes in my opinion.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
People always push for Karate Joe, the Wrestler, or the Chorus Kids but isn't Marshal supposed to be the Mascot of the series? Wouldn't that be like adding Charizard or Mewtwo before Pikachu?
Its another misnomer. There is no mascot. Marshal only introduces Fever. He might have returned in The Best+, but that's it. I thought he was in the first game, but it was only a similar looking character (and said character actually appears in the ending of Rhythm Heaven Fever alongside Marshall).

If there's any "mascot" of the games, its the specific odd race that Marshal is apart of, but there's always new characters who fill the role in every game.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
It would be cool if this guy (Vincent, right?) got in Smash. I like to imagine that Vincent would be like the eponymous boy who drew cats... where his paintings come to life. Projectiles and shields come from his paintings.
Actually his name is Vince. :4duckhunt:

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
You can't. He isn't a video game character.
To be fair, though, R.O.B isn't a game character either, he just cameos in them (yes, he's first-party but it's the same exact problem; toy before video game). Besides, I have a reasoning for why it could work, anyways; even in spite of the whole "not video-game character" issue; it has to do with Japanese toy company things and Amiibo, so I still think it's possible. It's not like a Goku situation, where there's literally no chance in hell of it happening; there's a minuscule, tiny chance it could happen to Prime.

Besides, we now have a support thread for the friggin' IdolM@sters; a series that has never been released outside of Japan and is at best rather obscure worldwide. Sakurai's the kind of person who does what he thinks would please the most people; and if that means having to enter talks with Takara about putting a character of theirs in Smash, he'd do it.

And let's be real, how fast would an Optimus Prime amiibo sell out? :p

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
To be fair, though, R.O.B isn't a game character either, he just cameos in them (yes, he's first-party but it's the same exact problem; toy before video game). Besides, I have a reasoning for why it could work, anyways; even in spite of the whole "not video-game character" issue; it has to do with Japanese toy company things and Amiibo, so I still think it's possible. It's not like a Goku situation, where there's literally no chance in hell of it happening; there's a minuscule, tiny chance it could happen to Prime.

Besides, we now have a support thread for the friggin' IdolM@sters; a series that has never been released outside of Japan and is at best rather obscure worldwide. Sakurai's the kind of person who does what he thinks would please the most people; and if that means having to enter talks with Takara about putting a character of theirs in Smash, he'd do it.

And let's be real, how fast would an Optimus Prime amiibo sell out? :p
ROB is a different situation. He's a Nintendo character. Optimus is not. IdolMasters is still a game. If Sakurai wanted to please the most people, I'm pretty sure Smash would be ****ed up. The game is about Nintendo's history. Yes, there are guests, but they have had an impact on Nintendo in some way. Snake and Ryu don't really have that big of an impact on Nintendo but the companies they come from do. Optimus Prime has done the exact same thing as he has done for any console. Sakurai is intent on a balance with his vision of Smash (Nintendo's legacy) and fan demand.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
When it comes to Rhythm Heaven, it just can't help but think...

Why has nobody talked about the Barista?

I mean, he technically appears in every game in the series, is probably rather close to a mascot, can do anything for the series due to never appearing in a game (except Airboarder), and is clearly visually associated with the series due to the headphones. So what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom