• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
It's been confirmed in interviews, there were I believe 10 pokemon from Gen VI not being made by Sugimori and he outright said he couldn't think of a cool Mega Flygon design
It has been like that since Gen I. He has never been the sole designer of the creatures. Even Pikachu has been originally designed by another person

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think we're all overlooking the most obvious choice for a grass Pokemon rep.

ODDISH WEEDS OUT THE COMPETITION!!!

Forgive me.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
First of all, Rude
I'm sure this person didn't mean your art was disgusting. Your picture is very well made and you are quite talented.

However the idea of everyone's favorite purple dragon being designed as a happy, handsome, friendly looking chap is somewhat off-putting.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So, would you rather future DLC be announced in the mini-directs like at E3, or in standalone trailers like with Robin/Lucina?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So, would you rather future DLC be announced in the mini-directs like at E3, or in standalone trailers like with Robin/Lucina?
Trailers like Robin/Lucina within general Nintendo Directs / Digital Event(@E3)

Also, I have this feeling the last character will be showcased at E3 and released on that day or shorter after E3 to go out with a bang. The can't and shouldn't be making DLC characters forever..

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I prefer standalone trailers like robin/lucina. However, I can see the reasoning behind waiting to showcase the trailers at mini-directs.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't see how a Splatoon Direct would happen tho.
That's a lot of DLC content right there...

Plus it's 5 months AFTER the game released.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Shuckle is the only true choice for a new pokemon rep, the first 100% defensive character in smash

smashkirby

Smash Hero
TBH, I think they are going to announce things for Smash randomly from here on out until further notice. Along the lines of Lucina/Robin/Captain Falcon's reveal from last...July(?)

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
TBH, I think they are going to announce things for Smash randomly from here on out until further notice. Along the lines of Lucina/Robin/Captain Falcon's reveal from last...July(?)
But at least that trailer was announced through Miiverse though, but hey who knows what they are going to be doing at this point? May as well just expect random trailers and news for now.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm sure this person didn't mean your art was disgusting. Your picture is very well made and you are quite talented.

However the idea of everyone's favorite purple dragon being designed as a happy, handsome, friendly looking chap is somewhat off-putting.
Even if it was not meant to be rude they could've been nicer about it.

And there's a good reason for that, That one is NOT everyone's favorite purple dragon, it's the Other M one.
A Clone of Ridley who's been altered to be Bigger, Stronger and so much more simple minded.

Ridley Himself is more like this
2015-10-23 01.15.09.png
His outfit and general appearance changes on his own whim

At best the Relationship between Ridley and Roidley is "One stabs the other a lot"

I got like a while thing planned out cause I'm preparing one of those Ask Blogs

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Surprusingly. . . yes
Bowser Jr, Dry Bowser, Mario 3d Land Sprixie, and I was gonna say Nabbit but that is clearly Toadette.

Anyone else disappointed the the eye behind Rosalina's big bang is just.... normal?
No diluted pupil, no black hole eye, it's just.... normal

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
What's that fourth one? I only recognize Dry Bowser (I think, not sure on this one), Bowser Jr., and Toadette.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
What's that fourth one? I only recognize Dry Bowser (I think, not sure on this one), Bowser Jr., and Toadette.

It the sprixie Princess from Mario 3D World
She'ill probably have alts of the others

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That roster feels small... and missing characters
sigh.... no Diddy again. Heck it doesn't even have koopa or shy guy anymore.

Ultra tennis looks very underwhelming and i see no reason i should play it over past iterations of Mario tennis. The only reason i see anybody buying this is to see HD space waifu in a miniskirt. No wonder there hasn't been much talk about this game from Nintendo, there's hardly anything to talk about. Also some of those icons on the character select screen are recycled.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, they aren't random choices if they're popular. :/
:gawmelee:
Imagine if Mario were represented with Mario, Waluigi, Boo, Professor E Gadd, Rosalina, and Paper Peach.

I bet you cannot, because it makes absolutely no sense.
Pokemon is not some ethereal series without its own mechanics, characters, and premises. In fact, it has so many games to draw from, its baffling not a damned one of them are represented.
There are tons of popular Pokemon, obviously that is *not* a strategy that can work for choosing Pokemon.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Another extremely young Mario character is getting attention again.

(Rosalina all over again.)

They going to be stuff thrown at the company if she ends up as a playable in smash 5

Nobody cares about Pauline :(
She could have a cool Clockwork theme

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Imagine if Mario were represented with Mario, Waluigi, Boo, Professor E Gadd, Rosalina, and Paper Peach.

I bet you cannot, because it makes absolutely no sense.
Rosalina isn't a random choice and the others aren't super popular.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Rosalina isn't a random choice and the others aren't super popular.
Yes, actually they are quite popular, the most of them.
Not only is that *not* my point, which is "popularity cannot dictate the character choices," but they in fact are all popular choices in forums.

Yes, actually they are quite popular, the most of them.
Not only is that *not* my point, which is "popularity cannot dictate the character choices," but they in fact are all popular choices in forums.
Only because Peach/luigi/etc are playable.

Obviously if we didn''t have peach and bowser they would be beyond popular for smash. Everyone else wouldn't even get a mention. (even then paper peach and E gadd absolutely are not popular choices)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Only because Peach/luigi/etc are playable.

Obviously if we didn''t have peach and bowser they would be beyond popular for smash. Everyone else wouldn't even get a mention. (even then paper peach and E gadd absolutely are not popular choices)
Its unfathomable because it isnt that way; yes, characters in mario do have a slight edge in iconography- but a lot of the iconic Pokemon (the original starters) are some of the ones counted out.

There are core characters in the Pokemon universe that are not merely popular, such as Pokemon trainer. Much more capable than any captured Damsel, canonically, as well.

What if Fire Emblem were represented by Michaiah, Anna, and Black Knight?
What if Star Fox only had Krystal, Falco, and Andross?
What if Animal Crossing were Tom Nook, Cherry, and KK Slider?
What if Ice Climbers only had the Polar Bear?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Shouldn't we be talking about Smash in the Smash Bros. DLC character discussion thread?:troll:

I still am kind caught up on a few interesting character ideas, despite said characters not having extreme popularity. Wonder Red, Professor E.Gadd, and a few others really got me thinking. Too bad that other factors at play with Smash would likely keep them out for now.

Despite that, I'd really like to see them. Wonder Red, E.Gadd, Inklings, K.Rool, Snake, Wolf, Isaac...I'd be interested in any of them. There are others. But those characters are ones I'd be really interested in.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Still waiting for a Captain Toad who cannot jump at all. Prove wrong all the neighsayers.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The RogersBae rumor he did at least admit that he got his facts wrong on a discussion on the BitBlock channel where they are talking about Super Mario Tennis Ultra Smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aaCf4bA0H8
Apparently it's suppose to have been a Splatoon direct supposedly.
With the cat out of the bag, it doesn't seem likely. The Splatoon direct is one thing, but Nintendo has been avoiding directs all together now. I don't see it happening. I'm confident now that this rumor and the SK one are false. I really don't think we'll see another fighter until maybe November at the earliest. I'm sure they have only just started working on them, so who knows how long it will take. We'll just have to play the waiting game.........again.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing with Pokemon that we have to remember is that the Pokemon characters who are picked are not even necessarily picked by us. It's all about who Game Freak wants. All of their choices make sense for the most part. Jigglypuff is the only one who is the outlier, and she was added because of assets from Kirby, and popularity from Japan.

I mean the popularity is there for each of the characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With the cat out of the bag, it doesn't seem likely. The Splatoon direct is one thing, but Nintendo has been avoiding directs all together now. I don't see it happening. I'm confident now that this rumor and the SK one are false. I really don't think we'll see another fighter until maybe November at the earliest. I'm sure they have only just started working on them, so who knows how long it will take. We'll just have to play the waiting game.........again.
1- I wish Roger would take responsibility for the fact that he perpetuated incorrect information. Guess that is too mature of a reaction.
2- Do you think it makes sense for the development team to have been chilling on their asses for the past few months? That is ridiculous.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah I would honestly say I think they've got to have something prepared. It frankly could be anybody. My bet is on Wolf, mainly because he's a 1st Party veteran. Easy to implement and destined to sell well.

Either way, I'd totally think there's something prepared to release. Just a matter of when.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I dont think the next character we get will be a veteran. That presents a really sour idea of what for the ballot was intended.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't agree with this at all. There's no way they only "just started" working on more characters, they had to have started some when the previous batch was finished.

I dont think the next character we get will be a veteran. That presents a really sour idea of what for the ballot was intended.
I agree as well. The next character probably won't be a veteran but a character picked from the early part of the ballot. Maybe more were started when the ballot finished, and two have been in development since after the last batch of characters. Either way, probably no more than 4 total. We'll definitely get one by mid-November.

In regards to Directs, they've been avoiding them recently but they confirmed they will continue. Its just a matter of when. Definitely no reason for a Splatoon Direct at this point, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom