• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This would be assuming the next character is FROM the ballot. There's nothing saying that. For all we know, they haven't started ballot characters.

There's no way of knowing. I don't think it's going to be a sour reaction if we get ANYTHING at this rate.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So with today, that means that the 'leaks' are proven as fake...?

Wow. Tell me something I didn't know then... :rolleyes:

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
This would be assuming the next character is FROM the ballot. There's nothing saying that. For all we know, they haven't started ballot characters.

There's no way of knowing. I don't think it's going to be a sour reaction if we get ANYTHING at this rate.
If we get a veteran, I'm going to be torn between being glad enough to get something from them, and being really annoyed that it's yet another veteran.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Technically they still have a few hours. But that is not saying much. Can't be right every time.
Perhaps, but I seriosuly doubt we'll hear something about it. Serves people right for telling fake rumors AND the believers of those too when there's nothing to gain from it but to play with the expectations of people.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If we get a veteran, I'm going to be torn between being glad enough to get something from them, and being really annoyed that it's yet another veteran.
Beggars can't be choosers.

If we FINALLY get a character after months of waiting, are people REALLY going to be THAT upset if it's Wolf/Snake? Come on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

If we FINALLY get a character after months of waiting, are people REALLY going to be THAT upset if it's Wolf/Snake? Come on.
Yes. Other than diehard fans of those characters. After months of waiting, there better be something more worthwhile than another veteran like Wolf. Snake is more understandable and people probably wouldn't complain too much since he looks very iffy right now, but honestly I highly doubt it'd be Snake. Wolf, though, yeah, because he should've been announced a while back. Getting him now instead of a newcomer would be a huge letdown, and probably wouldn't happen anyway.

If they waited this long on Wolf, they're not just going to reveal him next. (Snake is plausible if it was difficult getting the rights in order, and that is the case for any third-parties really.)

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Yes. Other than diehard fans of those characters. After months of waiting, there better be something more worthwhile than another veteran like Wolf. Snake is more understandable and people probably wouldn't complain too much since he looks very iffy right now, but honestly I highly doubt it'd be Snake. Wolf, though, yeah, because he should've been announced a while back. Getting him now instead of a newcomer would be a huge letdown, and probably wouldn't happen anyway.

If they waited this long on Wolf, they're not just going to reveal him next. (Snake is plausible if it was difficult getting the rights in order, and that is the case for any third-parties really.)
Maybe Wolf is already closed to, if not already, finished and they're waiting on the development of a newcomer to make an announcement? It's pure speculation, but it's not unreasonable to think they'll do something similar to Ryu, where they announced him along with a returning veteran. It would be a good way of reintroducing a veteran without discouraging the audience.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I forgot to check this page for like 3 hours before I had to go to work.
Now I'm back from the shift and all I missed was Ultra Smash discussion.
Okay.
Probs going to bed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I second this notion.
We were left waiting for a long period of time with the idea of something new and exciting to be expected.
New characters generate more hype than old ones generate (of course, this is over all, not specifically in DLC); of course we would be happy to have anything, but its by no means a highly-favorable position, and not one within I would think Nintendo wants to put themselves.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Maybe Wolf is already closed to, if not already, finished and they're waiting on the development of a newcomer to make an announcement? It's pure speculation, but it's not unreasonable to think they'll do something similar to Ryu, where they announced him along with a returning veteran. It would be a good way of reintroducing a veteran without discouraging the audience.
I think Wolf is probably done as well and they're saving him. That's my point, though, there's NO REASON to wait this long on Wolf. However, if they announce him with a newcomer, that would take the blow off of it only being a veteran after 5 months no info.

I still think Roy and Ryu were planned to released gradually, though, which is why we haven't had any characters in a while. It was probably supposed to be Lucas at E3 and Roy and Ryu later.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Why would Nintendo open the ballot for 3rd parties if they weren't going to add any of the ones brought up? I don't really see why 3rd parties are considered unlikely. The only issue at hand is that there aren't a lot of "quality" choices out there. Nintendo has recently worked with Konami. Sakurai loves Metal Gear. Kojima wants Snake in Smash (and despite him not being at Konami, that means he's not going to be offended if Snake comes back).

Anyway, getting Wolf, the #1 voted character voted among quite a few polls out there, would be a letdown? I get that it's been awhile since we've gotten a reveal. But, really be happy we get anything. I wouldn't expect anything from the ballot just yet myself. Just because there were clear leaders doesn't mean they've already started work on them.

The way I see it, there was likely at least another vet/newcomer planned pre-ballot, and they'll be revealed next. Ballot characters will begin being revealed soon, assuming they have stuff available to show.

A newcomer would be nice, yes. But I don't think we should act disappointed and act like we deserve things when we're getting a ton of great extra content as it is.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Has anyone reviewed what games are coming out?
Maybe DLC characters will be released along side those, for promotional purposes.
Or maybe even other Nintendo media.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly, if it is a veteran, I truly believe the Pokemon have better chances; not only popular and with fully unique movesets, but they would generate more surprise- which is an element we all should be able to agree, like it or not, is legitimate.

Games coming out:
-Mario Tennis (Mario characters: Captain Toad or Waluigi)
-Starfox (Wolf... and to some, Krystal still seems plausible, though I truly do not see how).
-Pokemon Go (Lets not get me started on this series, eh?)
-Animal Crossing Party (KK Slider, Tom Nook, Isabelle)
-Metroid Force (RIDLEY... or something else)
-Hyrule Warriors 3DS and Trforce Warriors (Impa, Vaati, Tetra, Ganon, Tingle...)

Recently released: Chibi Robo, Yoshi's Wooly World, Animal Crossing HHD, Splatoon DLC
We also know that anything on the virtual console can randomly come out at any time. Especially if it were to be Excite Bike ___, Balloon Fighter, etc.

In other words, would this do much to help us?

Last edited:

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799

I'm sure people will be grateful to get something (especially for the sake of just having it), but I don't know how long it would keep people invested. I know a lot of people are antsy to see Wolf or Snake return, but you've also got a lot of people who are waiting for newcomers, especially since 75% of the DLC characters so far have been veterans, two of which semi-clones to boot (and no, there's nothing wrong with these characters, they just don't bring as much to the table as a veteran like Mewtwo). I mean, going back to an older reveal trailer, who was more exciting to see- Robin, or Captain Falcon? :p When Roy and Ryu were revealed- or should I say leaked on my twitter feed- even though Roy's gotten more love from me, Ryu's reveal was waaaay more exciting. With a veteran, you know what you're going to get. And for some people, it's a lot harder to work up passion for that.

If 80% of DLC is just returning characters and 60% are semi-clones, people are going to be frustrated. And I don't feel like "beggars can't be choosers" is as applicable when it's our money that's paying to add characters to our rosters. If they were free updates, I'd completely agree with that phrase, otherwise.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, if it is a veteran, I truly believe the Pokemon have better chances; not only popular and with fully unique movesets, but they would generate more surprise- which is an element we all should be able to agree, like it or not, is legitimate.

Games coming out:
-Mario Tennis (Mario characters: Captain Toad or Waluigi)
-Starfox (Wolf... and to some, Krystal still seems plausible, though I truly do not see how).
-Pokemon Go (Lets not get me started on this series, eh?)
-Animal Crossing Party (KK Slider, Tom Nook, Isabelle)
-Metroid Force (RIDLEY... or something else)
-Hyrule Warriors 3DS and Trforce Warriors (Impa, Vaati, Tetra, Ganon, Tingle...)

Recently released: Chibi Robo, Yoshi's Wooly World, Animal Crossing HHD, Splatoon DLC
We also know that anything on the virtual console can randomly come out at any time. Especially if it were to be Excite Bike ___, Balloon Fighter, etc.

In other words, would this do much to help us?
Ridley isn't even in Federation Force.

But no, I don't think we'll get any more Pokemon DLC at all. We'll probably get Wolf back and that's it for vets. We've already got two more Pokemon characters that weren't in Brawl.

Why would Nintendo open the ballot for 3rd parties if they weren't going to add any of the ones brought up? I don't really see why 3rd parties are considered unlikely. The only issue at hand is that there aren't a lot of "quality" choices out there. Nintendo has recently worked with Konami. Sakurai loves Metal Gear. Kojima wants Snake in Smash (and despite him not being at Konami, that means he's not going to be offended if Snake comes back).
I never said they wouldn't do third-parties, but third-parties have a much, much higher barrier to get into the game. They opened it up to third-parties to not restrict people's votes too much, and because they might consider third-parties if there's enough overwhelming support for one. But due to the high cost of entry they'd be very, very limited, and would probably come much later in the cycle.

A newcomer would be nice, yes. But I don't think we should act disappointed and act like we deserve things when we're getting a ton of great extra content as it is.
You're blowing this way out of proportion. First off, most of the content is crap anyway. A decent stage here and there, and returning characters we've already played as in past games. But even then, its not a matter of being satisfied. Its a matter of the fact that in order to make people stay interested in Smash long enough to care about DLC characters, they HAVE TO REVEAL SOMETHING that will get a lot of people hyped. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how many stages they bring back that people will play on for five minutes and get bored of, it doesn't matter how many pointless Mii Fighter costumes they add. People just will give up and quit on Smash without anything big they want to try.

If they want to play as Wolf, they can already play as Wolf in Brawl. If they want to play as Snake, they can already play as Snake in Brawl. They need something NEW to get people excited. Lucas was announced alongside Mewtwo's release date, he wasn't in Brawl. Roy was announced alongside Ryu, neither were in Brawl either.

It doesn't matter about how people feel about whose added. Its a pointless argument. If they don't reveal something big for Smash soon, a lot of people are just going to give up on it all-together, and then Nintendo will lose a lot of money on producing characters no one will buy because they already gave up on the game anyway.

I'm sure people will be grateful to get something (especially for the sake of just having it), but I don't know how long it would keep people invested. I know a lot of people are antsy to see Wolf or Snake return, but you've also got a lot of people who are waiting for newcomers, especially since 75% of the DLC characters so far have been veterans, two of which semi-clones to boot (and no, there's nothing wrong with these characters, they just don't bring as much to the table as a veteran like Mewtwo). I mean, going back to an older reveal trailer, who was more exciting to see- Robin, or Captain Falcon? :p When Roy and Ryu were revealed- or should I say leaked on my twitter feed- even though Roy's gotten more love from me, Ryu's reveal was waaaay more exciting. With a veteran, you know what you're going to get. And for some people, it's a lot harder to work up passion for that.

If 80% of DLC is just returning characters and 60% are semi-clones, people are going to be frustrated. And I don't feel like "beggars can't be choosers" is as applicable when it's our money that's paying to add characters to our rosters. If they were free updates, I'd completely agree with that phrase, otherwise.
This exactly. "Beggars can't be choosers" is a pointlessly STUPID argument when its perfectly valid. Nobody NEEDS to buy Smash DLC characters, and when food is far more important and many people have tight budgets and can't just buy everything they dish out...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ridley isn't even in Federation Force.

But no, I don't think we'll get any more Pokemon DLC at all. We'll probably get Wolf back and that's it for vets. We've already got two more Pokemon characters that weren't in Brawl.

I never said they wouldn't do third-parties, but third-parties have a much, much higher barrier to get into the game. They opened it up to third-parties to not restrict people's votes too much, and because they might consider third-parties if there's enough overwhelming support for one. But due to the high cost of entry they'd be very, very limited, and would probably come much later in the cycle.

You're blowing this way out of proportion. First off, most of the content is crap anyway. A decent stage here and there, and returning characters we've already played as in past games. But even then, its not a matter of being satisfied. Its a matter of the fact that in order to make people stay interested in Smash long enough to care about DLC characters, they HAVE TO REVEAL SOMETHING that will get a lot of people hyped. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how many stages they bring back that people will play on for five minutes and get bored of, it doesn't matter how many pointless Mii Fighter costumes they add. People just will give up and quit on Smash without anything big they want to try.

If they want to play as Wolf, they can already play as Wolf in Brawl. If they want to play as Snake, they can already play as Snake in Brawl. They need something NEW to get people excited. Lucas was announced alongside Mewtwo's release date, he wasn't in Brawl. Roy was announced alongside Ryu, neither were in Brawl either.

It doesn't matter about how people feel about whose added. Its a pointless argument. If they don't reveal something big for Smash soon, a lot of people are just going to give up on it all-together, and then Nintendo will lose a lot of money on producing characters no one will buy because they already gave up on the game anyway.
"Most of the content is crap"...because that's just what you think. Is it because it's not what YOU wanted? It most certainly isn't crap. Pirate Ship was a highly requested stage. A lot of Mii Costumes are neat and add content for many characters who wouldn't be in otherwise, and give fans a chance to at least appear as their favorite characters.

Are the characters crap? Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas are crap? 3 highly requested veterans? Is Ryu crap? One of the most iconic characters ever in gaming? Or is just because it's not what you wanted?

People aren't going to just "give up" on Smash. There's no basis to say that. A LOT of people on Smashboards are/have been incredibly hyped for Ryu. All veterans were extremely exciting news. To say Wolf or Snake, big time popular veterans, wouldn't be up to snuff is not only subjective, but inaccurate. Wolf tops polls all the time. He'd probably come with other content as well.

Just because it's not what YOU find "good" or "interesting" doesn't mean it's crap. Competitive Smash will continue and people will care about the game there. People aren't going to stop caring. Why would they? Because they can't have patience? That's silly.

To say to just, "Go play the last game to play as your character" is incredibly selfish. Should I say, "If you want to play as K.Rool, go play Mario Baseball"? No, because that's stupid, and simply discounting the value of adding a different character because I would prefer something else. That's bull****.

You don't need something "new" to get EVERYBODY excited. They could add something that a lot of people want, and it would still elicit an amazing reaction.

You don't speak for the majority, and just because it's not what YOU want doesn't mean it's crap.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
What if Ice Climbers only had the Polar Bear?
But they do? No, seriously, they actually only have the Polar Bear in Smash 3DS.
Still waiting for a Captain Toad who cannot jump at all. Prove wrong all the neighsayers.
This doesn't make a character, this makes a character with half of their moveset gone.

There's basically no way that the team would design a character who can't jump in a platform fighter. It goes against the fundamentals of them and would make the character absolutely useless in nearly any environment.
Correct. We simply don't know. When the character is announced, we'll likely hear some kind of confirmation saying one way or the other.

I dont think the next character we get will be a veteran. That presents a really sour idea of what for the ballot was intended.
It's the people's choice within reason. We could easily get a veteran or a newcomer; we simply just don't know which.

And personally, I'm okay with having that vagueness. It creates a lot more suspense and really brings in the hype for me.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll be honest; I will be underwhelmed if the very next character is a veteran. Don't get me wrong; Wolf's my favourite of the Starfox Smashers, Snake is incredibly unique and I have a soft spot for the missing Pokemon vets but...

I desperately just want to see a new character regardless of who it is...

...within reason anyway.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
How likely do people see another 3rd party in DLC, by the way?
Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

:231:

Personally, I would give anything to have Arle Nadja and/or Tails from SEGA, even though Tails is the more likely of the two. Still wouldn't complain though. I have a list of SEGA rep I'd like to see. I'll post them later. As for Namco, I'd like to see Valkyrie, but due to Namco x Capcom, my Namco want list has grown considerably. Again. I'll post the Namco want list here later.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well if Mega Man and Street Fighter are the two most legendary Capcom series, what are the most legendary SEGA series besides Sonic?

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Well if Mega Man and Street Fighter are the two most legendary Capcom characters, who is the most legendary SEGA character besides Sonic?
Honestly, it's probably between Tails or Eggman. But I'm assuming you mean't non-Sonic, so, NiGHTS would be their most iconic, it isn't even close to being to to the same extent of iconicness, but I think it's still the most legendary character they have other than the Sonic characters.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Well if Mega Man and Street Fighter are the two most legendary Capcom series, what are the most legendary SEGA series besides Sonic?
Other than sonic characters Alex Kidd is a gaming console mascot (Sega master system) and the Mr. Game and watch of SEGA and was SEGA mascot before Sonic and was the face of SEGA for 5 years and made a lot of appearance and was here since 29 years so.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Losing my mind... I said I was numb to the drought of news but that has evolved into chaos in my thoughts. They must know they're leaving us hanging, right?

What are the chances this is actively snubbing leaker's noses? I want to believe that isn't true and doubt it is, but what a stiff move if true. I just doubt they'd give the people, who can't hold things in, more power than they have, especially when their profit with timing is at stake. Who knows, but it's driving me nuts being in the dark this long, and I'm turning to irrational thoughts like the one I just mentioned. Nintendo, stop being neglectful guardians to my hype.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Upset? I'd be hyped to see Wolf and/or Snake back!

That said, we really should get a Nintendo newcomer DLC announced soon. As far as a new character reveal goes, someone like K. Rool would be a good idea in terms of generating hype among the world-wide fanbase.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
My prediction in the final roster:

i see Bomberman being lickeley than Snake for some reasons also its kinda hard to choose between Chibi-robo and Ray MK.
I don't think the potential six slot thing means six more characters are on the way. We're probably just getting the three and that's it. It'll probably look something like this on the 3DS version. (but with like, three different characters potentially)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't think the potential six slot thing means six more characters are on the way. We're probably just getting the three and that's it. It'll probably look something like this on the 3DS version. (but with like, three different characters potentially)
We're getting Etika?:troll:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Why would Nintendo open the ballot for 3rd parties if they weren't going to add any of the ones brought up?
I was always under the impression that the ballot was open to 3rd parties but they still had to meet Sakurai's standards and if they didn't then we wouldn't get a 3rd party character. He's not going to put in a character just because they're 3rd party.

Why open the ballot to indie characters if they're not going to include one? Why open the ballot to retro characters if they're not going to include one? I don't think it follows that being open to a certain group of characters means they're definitely going to add from that group of characters.

I still think it's quite likely we'll get a 3rd party, I just don't believe it's a sure thing.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Might as well add Britney Spears, Shrek, Magnemite, Spongebob, Goku and Cory to that roster.

Anyway, Sakurai and his team are probably still going through the millions of suggestions and recovering from the mental scarring from the absurd ones.

Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 : Well, for 3rd party characters and pretty much any character, they need to ask permission to see if they can use the character, pay any fees if needed and come up with a proposal that character's rights' owner is happy with.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
... Well, for 3rd party characters and pretty much any character, they need to ask permission to see if they can use the character, pay any fees if needed and come up with a proposal that character's rights' owner is happy with.
He was mainly just rightfully explaining that just because 3rd parties are open to suggestion doesn't guarantee their inclusion. In the end it's up to Daddy Sakurai, and that's that. Though it's highly possible we'll get one.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord

He was mainly just rightfully explaining that just because 3rd parties are open to suggestion doesn't guarantee their inclusion. In the end it's up to Daddy Sakurai, and that's that. Though it's highly possible we'll get one.
The ballot was just a glorified suggestion box, after all. Well, it's up to Sakurai and whoever holds the rights for X or Y character now.

Bhojj

Smash Rookie
Anyway, Sakurai and his team are probably still going through the millions of suggestions and recovering from the mental scarring from the absurd ones.
Sakurai makes a list of characters he deems worthy to develop.

Asks whoever is in charge of the ballot to do a big-scale CTRL + F search.

Receives a popularity gauge for said characters.

That's if the ballot votes are actually being stored, something I doubt.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Bhojj Bhojj : If this was by popularity/numbers alone, there would have been an announcement already even if was just a short list. Ballot votes were definitely stored. The final question would be pointless if all they wanted was a list of names.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think it depends on how much the 3ds version smash file could handle, if the 3DS smash version is nearly full then I think we are just getting 3 characters but if it's still has more space then we can get at least 6 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom