• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Yet you asked if an article made by the kind of person who yells 'YOU TRANSPHOBIC SCUM' when disagreed at was legitimate...

Seeing this dragontalk begs the question: What would be a cool dragon to add OTHER than Ridley?
I personally think Dragonite would be pretty cool, it is gen 1 though, but that really just means it's older, more iconic, and more prestigious :p. Flygon would be cool too I guess, but is a lot more of a random pick (not that Dragonite isn't random at all,it's just less random).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yet you asked if an article made by the kind of person who yells 'YOU TRANSPHOBIC SCUM' when disagreed at was legitimate...

Seeing this dragontalk begs the question: What would be a cool dragon to add OTHER than Ridley?
I didnt mention anything about an article, I asked about the claim in the first place. You are the one who jumped the gun and took it as a personal attack, completely unprovoked and out of context.

I asked the question because I was ignorant to the answer, that is how learning occurs. If you want to berate people for attempting to find clarity then you are merely hurting your own advocacy on any platform.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I didnt mention anything about an article, I asked about the claim in the first place. You are the one who jumped the gun and took it as a personal attack, completely unprovoked and out of context.
First of all, you asked if that article about Samus was legit. Second, I'm not taking this as a personal attack. If I was, I'd be flaming so much that you'd see *** everywhere. That article really pisses me off as that woman wrote it...

I saw M.P mention Tyrantrum. That'd be ****ing awesome

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wish we had a Dragon Eevee...
In fact, I wish we could expect a new Eevee each generation.
What the hell, GameFreak?

First of all, you asked if that article about Samus was legit. Second, I'm not taking this as a personal attack. If I was, I'd be flaming so much that you'd see *** everywhere. That article really pisses me off as that woman wrote it...
You are in the wrong. Not only with thinking that flaming is a civil or effective way to communicate (anything), but in the entire notion of your side of this conversation, which is unfounded.
Not going to dignify your responses any further.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wish we had a Dragon Eevee...
hell, I wish we could expect a new Eevee each generation.
What the hell, GameFreak?

You are in the wrong. Not only with thinking that flaming is a civil or effective way to communicate (anything), but in the entire notion of your side of this conversation, which is unfounded.
Not going to dignify your responses any further.
Ken Sugimori has artist block, it's also the official reason for Mega Flygon not existing

When did I say flaming was civil? Instead of acting all Holier Than Thou, explain stuff. Brianna Wu pisses me off, you brought up her article, we're both in the wrong for arguing about it in this thread. Better?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ken Sugimori has artist block, it's also the official reason for Mega Flygon not existing
Is this based on anything?
Im pretty positive every gen 1 Pokemon will get a mega evolution.
I also suspect Mega Raichu could end up looking like a Pikachu.

When did I say flaming was civil? Instead of acting all Holier Than Thou, explain stuff. Brianna Wu pisses me off, you brought up her article, we're both in the wrong for arguing about it in this thread. Better?
I do not think we need to continue this conversation, it has been resolved. Though I appreciate that response, thanks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is this based on anything?
Im pretty positive every gen 1 Pokemon will get a mega evolution.
I also suspect Mega Raichu could end up looking like a Pikachu.

I do not think we need to continue this conversation, it has been resolved. Though I appreciate that response, thanks.
It's been confirmed in interviews, there were I believe 10 pokemon from Gen VI not being made by Sugimori and he outright said he couldn't think of a cool Mega Flygon design

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Then lets change the topic!

What are some good non Pokemon characters who could be added to represent the series?

Id love a Pokemon Ranger character. In theory they could use the stylus, etc, in unique ways....
but I really just want them to use all the forms of Eevee. I really wish Eevee had a viable means of being included with all her different evolutions. It represents quite an important aspect of the series.

Perhaps Eevee could be introduced in a unique way anyway- in which, through different means, you can evolve her into one of any of her evolutions. They would each have only 1 unique feature, and mostly cosmetic changes. It can also only be done once per life (no devolving), and only after a certain amount of time/tasks/damage/whatever has been taken (Eevee must gain some experience before evolving).
Examples would be: Vaporeon can use a puddle transport, like in that one Smash game. Espeon could have a counter. Jolteon could cause paralysis on contact. Flareon could case a burn on contact.
They could each have slightly different stats as well (minimal differences is speed, attack, etc, though all more powerful than the base set of Eevee).

If you mess up in which evolution you become; oh well, thats part of the difficulty.

EDIT: Im aware I said non Pokemon and then went to Eevee, but really, I just meant characters who are not only a Pokemon, but rather, would showcase something within the series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

What are some good non Pokemon characters who could be added to represent the series?

Id love a Pokemon Ranger character.
Pokemon Trainer as it's own character. Dsmash summons 2 mons that attack the sides, Fsmash summons a Beedrill or something to attack. Kinda like a Stand user in JoJo Allstar

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team

Is it fine if they use pokemon? If it's allowed then I'd go for N, the pokemon that he uses could differ based on the terrain like how he switches his team to the wild pokemon nearby in the games, grassy stages give him a grass type, aquatic ones give him a water type, etc.

Last edited:
It's been confirmed in interviews, there were I believe 10 pokemon from Gen VI not being made by Sugimori and he outright said he couldn't think of a cool Mega Flygon design
Indeed. Hitoshi Ariga designed those 10 Pokemon (Tyrantrum being one of them) and Mega Beedrill as well. I think the Pokemon that he designed are the best designed ones in Gen VI (and I had three of them in my Y team).

Lt. Surge. I mean, just imagine him using Voltorbs like bombs/grenades like in that Nuzlocke comic. :awesome:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In addition to the Eevee character above, I would want:

-The Pokemon Trainer I have so often advocated, who can summon at a time an equal number of sprites per number of opponents he is battling. He would also have Smash attacks from his Pokeball, which could, in the very least, stall people, but also potentially help him play avoidance/spacial strategies, if he has the option of using the Pokeballs to affect where others are in the playfield via capture/return mechanic.

-Team Rocket (this would be default, but could be any team- Magma, Aqua, etc).. With gadgets galore, each different iconic Pokemon tools from across the generations. This could include the Pokeflute, the Masterball, the silph scope, things from other generations... and of course a Meowth who nags you, in some way.

Just to state again, I believe the best way to represent the Pokemon series would be 6 Pokemon and two non Pokemon. 3 starters, Lucario, Pikachu, Mewtwo. In this, I am not really counting my Eevee as a Pokemon, though I guess she would be number seven........... it really IS a hard series to try to perfectly represent.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Garchomp.

And Tyrantrum, but he's probably too big.
Tyrantrum's actually only 8 ft tall, so not that much bigger then Garchomp, and probably wouldn't be that much bigger then Ganondorf or Bowser if at all.

Anyway, I agree that it would be an awesome Pokémon to have playable in a fighting game, that's one of the reasons why I'm rooting for it to be in Pokken as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Id love a Pokemon Ranger character. In theory they could use the stylus, etc, in unique ways....
but I really just want them to use all the forms of Eevee. I really wish Eevee had a viable means of being included with all her different evolutions. It represents quite an important aspect of the series.

Perhaps Eevee could be introduced in a unique way anyway- in which, through different means, you can evolve her into one of any of her evolutions. They would each have only 1 unique feature, and mostly cosmetic changes. It can also only be done once per life (no devolving), and only after a certain amount of time/tasks/damage/whatever has been taken (Eevee must gain some experience before evolving).
Examples would be: Vaporeon can use a puddle transport, like in that one Smash game. Espeon could have a counter. Jolteon could cause paralysis on contact. Flareon could case a burn on contact.
They could each have slightly different stats as well (minimal differences is speed, attack, etc, though all more powerful than the base set of Eevee).

If you mess up in which evolution you become; oh well, thats part of the difficulty.

EDIT: Im aware I said non Pokemon and then went to Eevee, but really, I just meant characters who are not only a Pokemon, but rather, would showcase something within the series.
You know, I was advocating for Eevee, pre-Smash 4's initial release, I just didn't think Sakurai would take it into consideration, and that's a bit sad, considering Eevee's VEEERY large pool of potential.:(

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Pokemon wise I want to know where the HELL all the XD and Colosseum stuff was
Miror B's theme in particular!!

Corrin for Master Race! Robin shouldn't be the only playable Avatar in the franchise. And if Ridley can't be playable, then why not a sexy bisexual draconian knight instead?
Ridley can be all those things with a little imagination

2015-09-15 20.40.20.png

Haha~ This was merely an excuse to show off my art of a human-ish Roidley

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The only pokemon characters I will ever want (for DLC or 5mash) are Ivysaur & Squirtle. Anyone else would be cool, like Greninja.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Sadly the only things individually significant about Squirtle and Ivysaur is that they're veterans. Other Pokemon fill the same criteria they do outside of that.

But really, the Pokemon I want added is Hawlucha. It'd be great to flying press the crap out of everyone. But Hawlucha doesn't have a ton going in it's favor anyway. It's probably only appear as a Pokken Fighter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The ONLY PKMN I'll take: Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Dragonite, Eevee, Meowth, Plusle and Minun, Zoroark, Victini, and Genesect, and MAYBE PKMN Trainer;. (Maybe a female one this time around.)

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Sadly the only things individually significant about Squirtle and Ivysaur is that they're veterans. Other Pokemon fill the same criteria they do outside of that.

But really, the Pokemon I want added is Hawlucha. It'd be great to flying press the crap out of everyone. But Hawlucha doesn't have a ton going in it's favor anyway. It's probably only appear as a Pokken Fighter.
They are both unique too tho. And there's no grass pokemon right now.

I honestly would not mind 3 DLC's being 3 Pokemon. (Ivy, Squirt & Mew2)

Last edited:
I would love Ivysaur to come back. One of my most played in Brawl. It would be nice to see him not shackled to others

Squirtle would be cool too but squirtle isn't ivysaur :p

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
They are both unique too tho. And there's no grass pokemon right now.
But other more popular grass types could fill that role. If Ivy wasn't a veteran, you'd only hear about Sceptile as far as a grass Pokemon goes. I love Ivysaur, don't get me wrong. My favorite Brawl character was Pokemon Trainer, and I played mostly Ivy. I just don't see either of them as having any higher credentials than veteran status. That being said, Roy is back. So we know veteran status matters a lot. But still, I don't think Ivy is as likely as Roy was as DLC because Ivy wasn't even it's own character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Ivysuar, Wolf, Snake & IC's were the veterans I was really looking forward to try and main before Smash 4 released and before all characters were shown and sadly Wolf seems to be the only likely one right now. I wasn't ever looking forward to Lucas because he has that Ness style I'm not fond off but after I played him I do enjoy him more than Ness - still rarely use him :p.

Then again I only successfully mained ZSS(looking forward to playing with her too) and failed with ROB & Lucario so idk lol.

Basically I want ALL Brawl Vets back & no more from Melee. Soz Pichu/Yink Fans.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hoopa Unbound would be an aweaome pokemon rep, for the soul purpose of his portal/ dimension mechanic.

Copied from the Hoopa Support thread.

• Hoopa Unbound uses loops as portals to teleport his arms and objects threw. This would be a unique ability for a fighter in Smash which has yet to seen in Smash.
• Having six arms Hoopa could be given a unique ability to store items it picks up on the playing field. Which he could then use at his whim, or perhaps store the items in his "special place".
• Hoopa Unbound has the ability Magician, which means it can steal items. Perhaps this could transition into Smash, when he uses a certain Smash attack or ability perhaps it allows Hoopa Unbound to also steal the item his opponent is holding.
• Hoopa Unbound is a Psychic & Dark type meaning some of his attacks could use a variety of these moves. Hoopa Unbound also has access to a variety to elemental punching TM's so it's possible to have those as attacks as well.
• Hoopa Unbound has relatively slow speed stats, which could translate over to Smash as an additional heavy weight character, since Smash 4 didn't include a new heavy weight new comer, he could fill that void. Plus he's also villainous so he could add an additional villain to the roster.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You know, I was advocating for Eevee, pre-Smash 4's initial release, I just didn't think Sakurai would take it into consideration, and that's a bit sad, considering Eevee's VEEERY large pool of potential.:(
I am personally just tired of the idea that it is acceptable to represent Pokemon the series with a collection of random, even if popular, Pokemon; that wouldnt be okay with any other series, and I think anyone that claims its okay with Pokemon either lacks any sort of innovation (which, is unfortunately, a large part of the smash fanbase... at least regarding character potential), or simply lacks knowledge of the franchise or its cultural impact.

Furret24

Smash Master
I am personally just tired of the idea that it is acceptable to represent Pokemon the series with a collection of random, even if popular, Pokemon; that wouldnt be okay with any other series, and I think anyone that claims its okay with Pokemon either lacks any sort of innovation (which, is unfortunately, a large part of the smash fanbase... at least regarding character potential), or simply lacks knowledge of the franchise or its cultural impact.
Well, they aren't random choices if they're popular. :/
:gawmelee:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ridley can be all those things with a little imagination

View attachment 79432
Haha~ This was merely an excuse to show off my art of a human-ish Roidley
Oh my swirls! Never thought that a gijinka of one of Ridley's more controversial designs would spawn something this hot. Now if only Corrin allowed for this level of muscle mass during customization. O_O

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I mean, being a veteran is the single thing that mattered for Roy and Lucas- who neither had unique movesets, franchises of note, and of course...

Squirtle and Ivysaur are actual Nintendo all stars, where as the other two werent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom