• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
NintenZ NintenZ I'm making the tier list, but I want to post my thoughts on how I made it (it's a wall of text) first. I also have to make the image, which will take a decent amount of time because i want to make it look presentable.

Here's the characters I'm planning to add so far. If you guys think I should add a character, let me know:

K Rool
Wolf
Snake
Inkling
Dixie
Bandanna Dee
Isaac
Sceptile
Daisy
Krystal
Ice Climbers
Rhythm Girl/Rhythm Monkey
Marshall
Chorus Men (as a group)
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Rayman
Simon Belmont
Ayumi
Lip
Layton
Ray MK III

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
SEGA has Atlus, which has SMT.

If it's good enough to cross into Fire Emblem, it's good enough to get into Smash!

JACK FROST FOR SMASH!

Well since Ice Climbers are out for a bit, I WOULD like a character who mainly uses Ice elemental attacks, because it is not used enough

I usually daydream about them working Ice Stuff into Dr Mario, like changing the Mega Capsule custom to "Cold-Medicene" which would basically be Luigi's Ice-Ball, the "Shocking Sheet" becoming a "Freezing Sheet", the Ol One'Two causing an explosion of Ice and the side Smash being an Ice attack

I say Dr Mario should've had this stuff cause people usually say Doctors have cold hands

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well there was (Ironically) Ryu.
He wasn't in high demand for Smash but he's still a massively popular gaming icon in general. And he wasn't added to promote anything.

A vocal minority of the fanbase.

However, period, I don't see us getting two characters from the same series in as DLC even if we get 6 more from here. The only STRETCH of a condition is getting Dixie and K. Rool due to mutual high popularity and being from a series "neglected" in expansion.
Then there's the fact to consider that we've gotten THREE more Fire Emblem characters in Smash after Brawl, even if one was originally in Melee and cut for Brawl. And since Roy is back there's no cuts either. We've got plenty of FE in regards to characters. No logical reason to suggest we'd get a Fates character whatsoever.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
NintenZ NintenZ I'm making the tier list, but I want to post my thoughts on how I made it (it's a wall of text) first. I also have to make the image, which will take a decent amount of time because i want to make it look presentable.

Here's the characters I'm planning to add so far. If you guys think I should add a character, let me know:

K Rool
Wolf
Snake
Inkling
Dixie
Bandanna Dee
Isaac
Sceptile
Daisy
Krystal
Ice Climbers
Rhythm Girl/Rhythm Monkey
Marshall
Chorus Men (as a group)
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Rayman
Simon Belmont
Ayumi
Lip
Layton
Ray MK III
You have Simon Belmont, yet left out Bomberman. Just throwing that boomerang out there, mate.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He wasn't in high demand for Smash but he's still a massively popular gaming icon in general. And he wasn't added to promote anything.

Then there's the fact to consider that we've gotten THREE more Fire Emblem characters in Smash after Brawl, even if one was originally in Melee and cut for Brawl. And since Roy is back there's no cuts either. We've got plenty of FE in regards to characters. No logical reason to suggest we'd get a Fates character whatsoever.

Uh... Yeah.

TiaSilvia

Smash Apprentice
Lets make this interesting. A lot of people post their most wanted characters for DLC. However, I think it would be interesting if we post our top 5 characters that you would be disappointed/Not care seeing in Smash Bros. Please try not to make this into a flame war.
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
Banjo? Really? That was unexpected...

Morbi

Scavenger
Lets make this interesting. A lot of people post their most wanted characters for DLC. However, I think it would be interesting if we post our top 5 characters that you would be disappointed/Not care seeing in Smash Bros. Please try not to make this into a flame war.
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
Honestly, the only character that I would be slightly disheartened to see at this point in time is Isaac. And even then, he has a lot of merit and potential as a character to win me over if given the chance. It is just that the mere thought disturbs me.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Still, very coincidential.
That's all it is.
Because there's NO reason why Nintendo would do it for that reason.
The most likely option (to dare spin that angle) is that Ryu was ham fisted into Nintendo's hands as part of the deal for Megaman, partially because of SF5 coming soon.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
That's all it is.
Because there's NO reason why Nintendo would do it for that reason.
The most likely option (to dare spin that angle) is that Ryu was ham fisted into Nintendo's hands as part of the deal for Megaman, partially because of SF5 coming soon.
No. It is more than coincidence as Capcom quite clearly wanted Ryu's inclusion to promote Street Fighter. That was not their only goal and I doubt it was Nintendo's intention. But the existence of Ryu (in Smash Brothers) de facto markets Street Fighter 5.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Two words: Who cares?
Without going into details or the whys and why nots, parts of the DK, Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, and Kirby fanbases along with the people I'm going to just call representationists (I'm one of those people) care a lot, a lot of them feel like those series and others are neglected in favor of Fire Emblem and/or Kid Icarus, so in a nutshell, that's basically most of the people who'd care. Whether or not that way of thinking is just or not is really up to your opinion :p.

Uh... Yeah.
I don't think Ryu was supposed to promote SFV, there's no reason for them to, seems like more of a coincidence with the timing than anything else.

A bit off topic, but, what do you guys think would happen if none of the popular picks got in (I hope they do, don't get me wrong)? Would Nintendo face severe backlash, possible DDOS attacks, or would people just move on in general?

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Without going into details or the whys and why nots, parts of the DK, Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox, and Kirby fanbases along with the people I'm going to just call representationists (I'm one of those people) care a lot, a lot of them feel like those series and others are neglected in favor of Fire Emblem and/or Kid Icarus, so in a nutshell, that's basically most of the people who'd care. Whether or not that way of thinking is just or not is really up to your opinion :p.

I don't think Ryu was supposed to promote SFV, there's no reason for them to, seems like more of a coincidence with the timing than anything else.

A bit off topic, but, what do you guys think would happen if none of the popular picks got in (I hope they do, don't get me wrong)? Would Nintendo face severe backlash, possible DDOS attacks, or would people just move on in general?
People would create massive initial storms for they would feel that a verbal "contract" wasn't properly met only more severely broiled by the drought of information period since E3.

Morbi

Scavenger

Would Nintendo face severe backlash? Not necessarily. Perhaps from the Smash community, but it truly depends on who we do get. If we get interesting characters, it is not material whether or not they were the most popular.

I never thought that Nintendo might receive possible DDoS attacks based on their DLC picks. If they did, it would not matter if the choices were not the most popular. The only relevant fact would be that a character that the cyber criminal wanted did not make it in. I mean, if they wanted Young Link and he was not chosen, he would probably DDoS Nintendo. Regardless, I doubt that is a real threat.

Eventually people would just move on. Unless you are a choice as detrimental as Dark Pit, people will forgive and forget.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Ryu was definitely not added for advertisement, its because of the history his franchise has, his popularity as a character, and him bringing something unique to Smash. Nintendo (Or Sakurai) doesn't care if the next game in a franchise has a game coming to another system. Ryu and already Snake have proven otherwise.

Thing is to, we don't even know if Ryu was for advertisement anyways. Besides, I'm pretty sure Sakurai or Nintendo is above that. He wouldn't have sold if he was just shoved in there "just because". He hasn't done that for 3rd parties and Nintendo characters, and it most likely won't happen anytime soon either.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do you remember the Ridley thread? Now imagine that butthurt multiplied over two entire sections (WiiU/3DS Character Discussion and NintenZone) and you have a fairly good estimate.

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Uh... Yeah.
The problem is he's not promoting Street Fighter V at all.

Yeah.
Ryu wasn't added into Smash Bros. to promote Street Fighter V when it's a PS4 exclusive.
He was added because he's the King of Fighters.
This.

How is it a coincidence?

Morbi

Scavenger
Ryu was definitely not added for advertisement, its because of the history his franchise has, his popularity as a character, and him bringing something unique to Smash. Nintendo (Or Sakurai) doesn't care if the next game in a franchise has a game coming to another system. Ryu and already Snake have proven otherwise.

Thing is to, we don't even know if Ryu was for advertisement anyways. Besides, I'm pretty sure Sakurai or Nintendo is above that. He wouldn't have sold if he was just shoved in there "just because". He hasn't done that for 3rd parties and Nintendo characters, and it most likely won't happen anytime soon either.
It was a contributory factor. Not the sole or predominant reason; however, a reason nevertheless.

The problem is he's not promoting Street Fighter V at all.

This.

How is it a coincidence?
Ryu released right around time for the Street Fighter 5 trailer, correct? The game transitioning from multi-platform to exclusive and Ryu just happens to appear on a third-party platform? That is the definition (not literally) of coincidence.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Expect Kirby vs. Buu and Goku vs. Superman levels of salt. That's all that needs to be said.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The lack of SFV content in regards to Ryu himself or his home stage makes me question why people think he would be added exclusively as SFV promotion.

Keep in mind I said exclusively; not entirely the reason but it could be a fraction of it, given that Ryu is arguably the most recognizable fighting game character in the world. Sure, SFV gets some attention by proxy, but it's not the entire reason.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
How is it a coincidence?
I apologize for how bad I am with wording things, I should have made that more clear, I think it's a coincidence because Ryu in Smash 4 has nothing to do with Street Fighter V, it's just that SFV got this E3 trailer one or two days after Ryu was revealed in smash, so it looked like promotion, but I'm convinced it's just coincidence and that they aren't related at all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
i missed the ridley butthurt. can you give examples?
I can't really give examples, other than that the thread was locked repeatedly because it got out of hand. Some people were extremely depressed, lots of anger, swearing, and all that. I was a mod back then too and I was afraid of going into that thread.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
If I recall correctly, people were wishing death upon Sakurai. I believe that is one of the reasons that thread was locked. Albeit, I am not an authority on that matter. I was busy that week.
"Death"
Huh, that reminds me of someone saying "If Shantae doesn't make it into Smash, I swear I'll kill myself" on Youtube.
Whether he was joking or not, it's pathetic that people bring up the word "death" into a video game.
Especially with the Ridley thread literally wishing the creator himself to die just because of Ridley.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Expect Kirby vs. Buu and Goku vs. Superman levels of salt. That's all that needs to be said.
Those were the dark ages, especially regarding the latter because of the even worse rematch.

I can't really give examples, other than that the thread was locked repeatedly because it got out of hand. Some people were extremely depressed, lots of anger, swearing, and all that. I was a mod back then too and I was afraid of going into that thread.

D-iera in a nutshell.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Talking about Ryu and SF5, I think it's weird that the focus attack is in Smash when it was first introduced in SF4. which didn't come out on a Nintendo console.

Unless I totally forgot about the 3DS version...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Talking about Ryu and SF5, I think it's weird that the focus attack is in Smash when it was first introduced in SF4. which didn't come out on a Nintendo console.

You did, in fact, totally forget about the 3DS version that you also mentioned.

The ironic part of the Ridley community is once our thread got locked and we moved we became so nice that we actually had to make a rule to stop being too nice. . . weird times.

~Never Falter~

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

Not sure what you're meaning...

Not being sure if SFIV 3DS is a thing (which it is) or Focus Attack being IN the 3DS version of SFIV

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Not sure what you're meaning...

Not being sure if SFIV 3DS is a thing (which it is) or Focus Attack being IN the 3DS version of SFIV
I was referring to SF4 being on a 3DS as a whole.
Focus attack is in Smash and I thought that move was only on the Xbox 360 and PS3 until I remembered about the 3DS.

Calane

Smash Ace
Yeah.
Ryu wasn't added into Smash Bros. to promote Street Fighter V when it's a PS4 exclusive.
He was added because he's the King of Fighters.
Ryu's the King of Fighters? Funny, I thought it was this guy!

char_10918.jpg

...Get it? King of Fighters... Kyo Kusanagi... Yeah, this joke sucked. :lol:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think you're mostly right, but I'm not sure about all of them:

1. Popularity will probably get the a character the most sales, so that's a given.

2. When it comes to DLC, being relevant and being well known are pretty much the same. Relevancy in regards to how recent a game came out really doesn't matter; see all of the K Rool supporters we have here. It matters more that the general audience can recognize them.

3. Being unique is more of a Sakurai thing and has nothing to do with DLC. 90% of players will still buy K Rool if he was a Dedede clone. I know I would

It still matters, but this is more of a thing in general and this criteria is very easy to meet for most conceivable characters.

4. I think being well known could indeed be a factor. There are players that aren't just fans of a character that would buy him/her.

I would also add "appeals to both Japan and the US" in there. But, to be entirely honest, Sakurai's focus is most likely Japan.
I'm going to apply this to some characters and also elaborate further on how I think DLC will work in a larger post later today. It's a good start Ninten. Be prepared for a DLC tire list :^)
THANK YOU! I realize now, The K Rool costume was simply a means to promote the character, and get people interested in him, before his release. Now, we all know who he is. Now, relevancy isnt even an issue.
Mii costume: Now a viewed positive on my end.

We don't know whether assist trophies can be added to the game as DLC.

It makes for rather bad marketing, really. Notice that all DLC we got has been related to gameplay - playable characters, costumes for Mii fighters and stages. An assist trophy is like saying "we couldn't let you play as this character, sorry." A Mii costume is easier to make and will sell better, to boot.

So, there is some logic to seeing Mii fighters as consolation prizes. We don't have proof one way or other about Mii costumes dis-confirming newcomers. People are hoping they don't because that would rule out K. Rool and Inkings who are both massively popular.

I now cannot get out of the camp that a K Rool costume to promote the character and bring attention to him once more.
Considering the Mii costumes do not actually represent most of the characters that well, is it really a consolation prize This could be argued either way, truly. I remember I laughed for a good five minutes at the thought that, "Isabelle is too peaceful to be a character, so lets make her a gunner!"

No, it's not legitimate in the slightest, only 'evidence' is a quote from a guy who didn't work on Metroid 1, which is funny as Sakamoto said something about 'Metroid Prime going on PS2 is as likely as Samus being a newhalf', newhalf being slang for transgender. That, and the canonical manga's a factor. If you think anything Brianna Wu says is legitimate, please slap yourself in the face. That woman pisses me off so much...

I saw Lloyd talk. As someone who has no interest in the Tales games, I don't know what to think
I posed an honest question, and your response was both aggressive and patronizing. I have seen this in your posts many times, so I ask directly, at least with me, that you keep this unnecessary tone OUT of your responses. I will only ask this once. Thanks ahead.

It's static, but it still may be too much for the 3DS to handle. I'm not trying to hate on them, I'm just saying that it's there.

Okay, it wasn't meant to be that way, and if it was hurtful, that wasn't the intention, it was merely just that, an exaggeration. Exaggerations aren't a crime you know.
Just be aware, other people use hyperbole and litote as well. That is all.

I'm still surprised they didn't try to promote Fire Emblem Fates's western release with a DLC character.
Why is this a surprise? It hasnt been done in Smash 4, an Fire Emblem is more than overly saturated in this game.

Two words: Who cares?
Anyone who does not give a **** about Fire Emblem.

A vocal minority of the fanbase.

However, period, I don't see us getting two characters from the same series in as DLC even if we get 6 more from here. The only STRETCH of a condition is getting Dixie and K. Rool due to mutual high popularity and being from a series "neglected" in expansion.
I would argue that people who are NOT fans of Fire Emblem (not haters, just not fans), are actually the majority- and this is backed up by the fact that the series nearly went extinct. It's great that Fire Emblem has gotten so much attention in Smash Bros (read hat- great for the series of Fire Emblem), but let us not pretend this reflects the standing of the series, compare to other Nintendo Series'.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I posed an honest question, and your response was both aggressive and patronizing. I have seen this in your posts many times, so I ask directly, at least with me, that you keep this unnecessary tone OUT of your responses. I will only ask this once. Thanks ahead.
That article genuinely angers me. I answered your question regardless. I'm a no-nonsense person when it comes to stuff like this and I'm brash. If you have a problem with it...Either A: Use that lovely Ignore feature, or B: Deal with it. Again, that article angers me to no end

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I still believe there is reason why Ryu was added into the game.(goes in the corner and cries, hope, and pray for a NintendoxCapcom game soon).

Burruni

Smash Hero
THANK YOU! I realize now, The K Rool costume was simply a means to promote the character, and get people interested in him, before his release. Now, we all know who he is. Now, relevancy isnt even an issue.
Mii costume: Now a viewed positive on my end.

I now cannot get out of the camp that a K Rool costume to promote the character and bring attention to him once more.
Considering the Mii costumes do not actually represent most of the characters that well, is it really a consolation prize This could be argued either way, truly. I remember I laughed for a good five minutes at the thought that, "Isabelle is too peaceful to be a character, so lets make her a gunner!"

Just be aware, other people use hyperbole and litote as well. That is all.

Why is this a surprise? It hasnt been done in Smash 4, an Fire Emblem is more than overly saturated in this game.

Anyone who does not give a **** about Fire Emblem.

I would argue that people who are NOT fans of Fire Emblem (not haters, just not fans), are actually the majority- and this is backed up by the fact that the series nearly went extinct. It's great that Fire Emblem has gotten so much attention in Smash Bros (read hat- great for the series of Fire Emblem), but let us not pretend this reflects the standing of the series, compare to other Nintendo Series'.
I know that Fire Emblem is still fairly niche.

However, it's a minority that's outcrying that it has too many characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom