• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm curious to know what technical expertise you have to diagnose K. Rool and Inklings as having "hardware limitations" that would inhibit the team from adding them in spite of their mountains of votes.
Nope, just the Inklings. I actually think K. Rool's chances aren't too bad, I was sort of joking about it.

Because of the Ink. After all, too much activity on screen was why... I'll stop.

Oni, Oni, Oni...
It was an exaggeration. :facepalm:
A highly unnecessary one that comes off as derogatory.

As for 3rd parties I doubt we are getting any. I doubt we will get another Capcom character (RIP Phoenix/Joe/Amatarasu) and Namco and Sega don't really have anyone.

Konami speaks for itself.
I don't see Rayman or an indie happening. so we're stuck with pretty much no options. I suppose square exists but ther isn't a lot of support there.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
But that's just the point; it's not a lot of "activity." The ink is static.
It's static, but it still may be too much for the 3DS to handle. I'm not trying to hate on them, I'm just saying that it's there.
A highly unnecessary one that comes off as derogatory.

As for 3rd parties I doubt we are getting any. I doubt we will get another Capcom character (RIP Phoenix/Joe/Amatarasu) and Namco and Sega don't really have anyone.

Konami speaks for itself.
I don't see Rayman or an indie happening. so we're stuck with pretty much no options. I suppose square exists but ther isn't a lot of support there.
Okay, it wasn't meant to be that way, and if it was hurtful, that wasn't the intention, it was merely just that, an exaggeration. Exaggerations aren't a crime you know.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's static, but it still may be too much for the 3DS to handle. I'm not trying to hate on them, I'm just saying that it's there..
But why say that when it's completely baseless and there's nothing to back it up?

Burruni

Smash Hero
It's static, but it still may be too much for the 3DS to handle. I'm not trying to hate on them, I'm just saying that it's there.

Okay, it wasn't meant to be that way, and if it was hurtful, that wasn't the intention, it was merely just that, an exaggeration.
Consider the following: Ink applies to any platform it flies over or collides with. At this point, it functions as a "terrain" that gives characters the same slowing and lower jump effect of the Metal Box when standing on/running through it, and (the terrain) lasts for a set period of time after being applied. Inklings have the inverse multiplier, but only when in their crawl (squid form).

I think that wouldn't be that much of a issue.

Edit:
With Mara as a long and hard Assist Trophy.

*rimshot* :troll:
I think you mean a Tsubasa + Caeda assist trophy.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Lets make this interesting. A lot of people post their most wanted characters for DLC. However, I think it would be interesting if we post our top 5 characters that you would be disappointed/Not care seeing in Smash Bros. Please try not to make this into a flame war.
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Nope, just the Inklings. I actually think K. Rool's chances aren't too bad, I was sort of joking about it.
Gotcha.

The thing with Inklings is, we have no idea how the team will interpret the character for a moveset. I think it takes pretty severe tunnel vision on the part of Smash fans to say "the Inklings will have technical difficulties" when that's assuming a very flowcharty depiction of them in Smash..."They spread ink everywhere in Splatoon therefore they will spread ink everywhere in Smash. They flip between kids and squids all the time in Splatoon therefore they will flip between kids and squids all the time in Smash. And those things will create technical difficulties in Smash because, well, they might!"

I've said it before, but this kind of tunnel vision (also seen in the crap-flinging about how characters will be boring because "all they do is XYZ") is why the bar is set so low for what the team has to do to "surprise" fans. If they looked beyond the obvious, no one would be surprised at all that Mega Man did more than be a Samue clone and Little Mac did more than just punch (at least in a dull way).

Looking beyond the obvious for Inklings, I think a cool interpretation for Inkling could be to have them splatting as much ink as possible onto opponents rather than the stage. The ink could make them more vulnerable to tripping, maybe slow them down briefly or do some poison damage too. Basically, it'd be a moveset of gradually wearing down the foe via annoyance, rather than KO strength (aka a really annoying style I'd personally hate fighting, but a unique take on that campy genre anyhow).

Edit: no offense taken at all (games are a silly thing to take too much offense over in general), I was just curious what possible technical issues K. Rool could have, barring something extreme being done with his cloud status effects.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Lets make this interesting. A lot of people post their most wanted characters for DLC. However, I think it would be interesting if we post our top 5 characters that you would be disappointed/Not care seeing in Smash Bros. Please try not to make this into a flame war.
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
This is just asking for a flame war though. It's better that we don't.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
How likely do people see another 3rd party in DLC, by the way?
Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

:231:
The only third party I can possibly seeing making it that isn't Shovel Knight because of the god forsaken rumor is Snake, and that's IF the Konami crap doesn't completely rule out his chances.

Otherwise, I think future DLC will focus on first parties.

Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
This is just begging for a flame war and it's a better idea we don't.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
1. Any Call of Duty character
2. A Skylander
3. Cloud Strife (Please don't kill me, Aussie).
4. Goomba
5. An Idolm@ster rep

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Gotcha.

The thing with Inklings is, we have no idea how the team will interpret the character for a moveset. I think it takes pretty severe tunnel vision on the part of Smash fans to say "the Inklings will have technical difficulties" when that's assuming a very flowcharty depiction of them in Smash..."They spread ink everywhere in Splatoon therefore they will spread ink everywhere in Smash. They flip between kids and squids all the time in Splatoon therefore they will flip between kids and squids all the time in Smash. And those things will create technical difficulties in Smash because, well, they might!"

I've said it before, but this kind of tunnel vision (also seen in the crap-flinging about how characters will be boring because "all they do is XYZ") is why the bar is set so low for what the team has to do to "surprise" fans. If they looked beyond the obvious, no one would be surprised at all that Mega Man did more than be a Samue clone and Little Mac did more than just punch (at least in a dull way).

Looking beyond the obvious for Inklings, I think a cool interpretation for Inkling could be to have them splatting as much ink as possible onto opponents rather than the stage. The ink could make them more vulnerable to tripping, maybe slow them down briefly or do some poison damage too. Basically, it'd be a moveset of gradually wearing down the foe via annoyance, rather than KO strength (aka a really annoying style I'd personally hate fighting, but a unique take on that campy genre anyhow).

Edit: no offense taken at all (games are a silly thing to take too much offense over in general), I was just curious what possible technical issues K. Rool could have, barring something extreme being done with his cloud status effects.
No problem, I was thinking they may have technical issues due to the fact that the ink may have to be modeled in order for them to swim in it, like in Splatoon. But your ideas for Inkling are great!

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
The model thing is inconsequential. It'd just be like Pac-Man going into his missing-pizza-slice form. It's not the same as transforming characters of past games.

And I don't really think it's fair to say that ink covering would be "hard to process" necessarily, it's essentially a lingering projectile at its core.
A lingering projectile that could cover the entire stage, the inklings also have to be able to swim through it and it would probably cause effects to the other fighters so it's not entirely static, combine that with items on high, multiple inklings with ink of their own and moving stages and I feel like some issues would come up

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
The only third party I can possibly seeing making it that isn't Shovel Knight because of the god forsaken rumor is Snake, and that's IF the Konami crap doesn't completely rule out his chances.

Otherwise, I think future DLC will focus on first parties.

This is just begging for a flame war and it's a better idea we don't.
This is just asking for a flame war though. It's better that we don't.
Well, I did say please try not to but ok.
I guess it's for the better.

D

Deleted member

Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
With a few possible exceptions, I honestly don't think there could be a single plausible character I'd be disappointed in. Even if I'm indifferent to or against certain characters now, I might appreciate their movesets once they're revealed.

EDIT:
2. [Any] Skylander [not named Spyro]
4. Goomba
5. An Idolm@ster rep
Azure Warrior just listed those exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Still, I wouldn't expect a handheld Splatoon port any time soon...

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
This is waaaaaay too easy.

1. Owain
2. Mahjong Tile
3. Klefki
4. KOS-MOS
5. Definitely the bloody COD soldier (worst suggestion anyone can make).

2. A Skylander
4. Goomba
5. An Idolm@ster rep
You and me, in the dojo tonight. I hope you like that slimy butt of yours served hot with a Gum Gum Elephant Gun.

It's alright. I can understand that having the most famous Final Fantasy character in Smash might not mean anything to you. :(

Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
I have a couple of characters (mostly third-parties) that I'd be really disappointed in... but I won't post them to avoid flame wars.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

1. Owain
2. Mahjong Tile
3. Klefki
4. KOS-MOS

You and me, in the dojo tonight. I hope you like that slimy butt of yours served hot with a Gum Gum Elephant Gun.

It's alright. I can understand that having the most famous Final Fantasy character in Smash might not mean anything to you. :(
*Sees Mahjong Tile* Rate their chances has definitely run out of ideas hasn't it?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
We don't know whether assist trophies can be added to the game as DLC.

It makes for rather bad marketing, really. Notice that all DLC we got has been related to gameplay - playable characters, costumes for Mii fighters and stages. An assist trophy is like saying "we couldn't let you play as this character, sorry." A Mii costume is easier to make and will sell better, to boot.

So, there is some logic to seeing Mii fighters as consolation prizes. We don't have proof one way or other about Mii costumes dis-confirming newcomers. People are hoping they don't because that would rule out K. Rool and Inkings who are both massively popular.

I was referring to ATs as an in-game element, not as DLC. But when I think about it, you aren't wrong. Miis could be consolidation prizes. The Mii costumes are probably the DLC equivalent to the Assist Trophy.

Third parties are obvious exceptions (because most people aren't fully invested to them. It's Smash Bros. Third parties are something that generally surprise people, they aren't expected) but First Parties could apply.

If the K Rool and Inklings costumes being used as consolidations prizes applies to them, Sakurai probably doesn't find them a worthy candidate. This means we have to look at whether Sakurai finds them worthy enough to actually be characters. If a character is specifically a Mii Costume, Sakurai probably conceived the thought of them being a character (this probably applies more to first parties) but went against it. At lot of Assist Trophies have gone through this (Takamaru and Waluigi are the only ones I can remember).

So yeah, Mii Costumes could indicate character not being playable. But does a character have the same likeliness as Ashley, Takamaru, Ray, Waluigi or Sable would if they weren't Assist Trophies? If not, maybe the costumes aren't the main reason they would be deconfirmed.

Edit: I realize Assist Trophies are not necessarily de-confirmed characters but a decent amount lot of them were most likely considered by Sakurai at one point in time.

Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
1. Marshall/Chorus Men
2. Shovel Knight
3. Inklings
4. Bomberman
5. Sable/Andy

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
*Sees Mahjong Tile* Rate their chances has definitely run out of ideas hasn't it?
Let's be honest, there aren't that many good characters left to rate and we might as well resort to rerates in the future. And this is what I know based off looking at the past scores and choices.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let's be honest, there aren't that many good characters left to rate and we might as well resort to rerates in the future. And this is what I know based off looking at the past scores and choices.
Playing Cards, Love Tester and Ultra-Hand for Smash. (But seriously we do need rerates)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Example of mine
1. Shovel Knight
2. Shantae
3. Chrom
4. Banjo and Kazooie
5. Pichu/Young Link.
Maybe you should add a limitation to list only characters with some chance.

I can't really see myself not caring about an inclusion, personally. As long as they're not a straight up clone like Lucina/Dark Pit, I'll play them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1. Owain
2. Mahjong Tile
3. Klefki
4. KOS-MOS

Dude, Klefki would be awesome. Not even joking. It's easily my favorite Pokemon from Gen VI. A playstyle revolving around disorienting the foe and locking them into specific moves? Sounds great in my book.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Honestly, due to my pickiness I wouldn't be too hyped for most characters. However, instead of just shooting an idea down, I try to keep as open minded as possible when it comes to characters. Unless you play a character and feel for their play style, you'll never know whether you will like a character or not.

For example, I'm not very hyped about King K. Rool, but rather than shutting him down for being a character that I didn't ask for, I would buy him and give him a spin.

The only characters I am absolutely opposed to are the stupid ones like Tetris Block or something. It's funny in theory, but if a Tetris Block or any other joke character got into Smash, I would lose my mind. Even then though, I'd still give them a chance because I'm masochistic like that, lol. Characters grow on me no matter how terrible they may seem. XD

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Dude, Klefki would be awesome. Not even joking. It's easily my favorite Pokemon from Gen VI. A playstyle revolving around disorienting the foe and locking them into specific moves? Sounds great in my book.
You know, there was actually a fan made trailer for Klefki, don't know if you've seen it, but it's actually pretty funny.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Playing Cards, Love Tester and Ultra-Hand for Smash. (But seriously we do need rerates)
I know three special characters that are in dire need of a rerate because of certain circumstances. The Chorus Kids, Toon Zelda, and Balloon Fighter.

The first one's pretty tough since not much had changed (not even the announcement movement if Best+'s localization) and we know he had some people spamming my that ballot with their name. The second depends if it's likely for us to get another clone or Luigified individual like Roy (with Wolf being likelier than her). And the last one, it's obviously because the whole Iwata hype is no more and his fans went back into hiding ever since.

It would be interesting to here some extra thoughts on these three characters when the time comes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm still surprised they didn't try to promote Fire Emblem Fates's western release with a DLC character.
I'm not because Sakurai hasn't done that with any DLC characters. And considering the game isn't even out yet, why bother? Are there any standout characters who are popularly requested right now? Its not out on the west, and in Japan its barely been out. No, they added the irrelevant Roy back because people wanted him.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not because Sakurai hasn't done that with any DLC characters. And considering the game isn't even out yet, why bother? Are there any standout characters who are popularly requested right now? Its not out on the west, and in Japan its barely been out. No, they added the irrelevant Roy back because people wanted him.
Well there was (Ironically) Ryu.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Two words: Who cares?
A vocal minority of the fanbase.

However, period, I don't see us getting two characters from the same series in as DLC even if we get 6 more from here. The only STRETCH of a condition is getting Dixie and K. Rool due to mutual high popularity and being from a series "neglected" in expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom