• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
How likely do people see another 3rd party in DLC, by the way?
Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

:231:
If it's just a few spots left then I in all honesty can't really see another third party making it in no matter how much hype they'll get if they were to be included. If there really is more than lets say three then I can see at least 1 more making their way into the game. I do not see another Namco or Sega character getting in. Even if it is easy because they already have permission to use some of their characters I can't see them using someone else that's from their camp that is as big as Sonic or PacMan getting in.

I don't think a second Sonic character is impossible but other than that Sega has nothing else, I'm not really sure about Namco though since Lloyd is a mii costume, maybe someone from Tekken?
Just like with Lloyd, they got Heihachi as a Mii costume too, so I really doubt Tekken would get someone, that character is one of the bigger names of the franchise. Another Sonic character also doesn't seem that likely while there are tons of people that would love someone else from Sonic to get in, but there are others who would just frown upon at the fact that there.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
There's none that are like mascot iconic/ popular left...

But there's tons of niche/ cult classic/ dark horses/ idk types of characters that could be fun or interesting/ surprising.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that as long as a character is...

Popular
Relevent
Unique

Then they'll fit the bill for DLC.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860

Popular
Relevent
Unique
Well Known

Lloyd

Extremely popular in Japan. Nicely popular in the West.
Relevent, getting a PC port on Steam.
Uses dual swords.
Isn't Well known and popular the same thing?

Then again he got turned into a mii costume.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lloyd

Extremely popular in Japan. Nicely popular in the West.
Relevent, getting a PC port on Steam.
Uses dual swords.
Isn't Well known and popular the same thing?

Then again he got turned into a mii costume.
Yeah, I removed it.

He has a Mii Costume, so they did pay homage to him at the very least.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that characters that don't fit the critera from above or have a role in the game will get Mii Costumes to compensate. Or ones with technical issues.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

Popular
Relevent
Unique
Well Known

I think you're mostly right, but I'm not sure about all of them:

1. Popularity will probably get the a character the most sales, so that's a given.

2. When it comes to DLC, being relevant and being well known are pretty much the same. Relevancy in regards to how recent a game came out really doesn't matter; see all of the K Rool supporters we have here. It matters more that the general audience can recognize them.

3. Being unique is more of a Sakurai thing and has nothing to do with DLC. 90% of players will still buy K Rool if he was a Dedede clone. I know I would

It still matters, but this is more of a thing in general and this criteria is very easy to meet for most conceivable characters.

4. I think being well known could indeed be a factor. There are players that aren't just fans of a character that would buy him/her.

I would also add "appeals to both Japan and the US" in there. But, to be entirely honest, Sakurai's focus is most likely Japan.
I'm going to apply this to some characters and also elaborate further on how I think DLC will work in a larger post later today. It's a good start Ninten. Be prepared for a DLC tire list :^)

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think you're mostly right, but I'm not sure about all of them:

1. Popularity will probably get the a character the most sales, so that's a given.

2. When it comes to DLC, being relevant and being well known are pretty much the same. Relevancy in regards to how recent a game came out really doesn't matter; see all of the K Rool supporters we have here. It matters more that the general audience can recognize them.

3. Being unique is more of a Sakurai thing and has nothing to do with DLC. 90% of players will still buy K Rool if he was a Dedede clone. I know I would

It still matters, but this is more of a thing in general and this criteria is very easy to meet for most conceivable characters.

4. I think being well known could indeed be a factor. There are players that aren't just fans of a character that would buy him/her.

I would also add "appeals to both Japan and the US" in there. But, to be entirely honest, Sakurai's focus is most likely Japan.
I'm going to apply this to some characters and also elaborate further on how I think DLC will work in a larger post later today. It's a good start Ninten. Be prepared for a DLC tire list :^)
Let me guess, K. Rool and Inkling will be near the top disreguarding their costumes and hardware limitations entirely?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It depends on how many more DLC characters we will get.

In my opinion, if there's only three left, another third-party is not very likely, but if there's six, then it's quite likely.
Six is wishful thinking, imo. The idea is from the that reddit image, I'm guessing?

I mean, from the looks of it, the rest of the characters will be based on the ballot. Three or five make more sense, in that case.

But Namco owns the Tales Of Series. And Lloyd is a pretty popular character. But definitely not as popular as Sonic.
I thought Lloyd was mid-tier? Do you have a source?

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Popular
Relevent
Unique

"Unique"? Any character can be unique no matter who they are in their games.

Look at Little Mac. All he does in his games is punch. But they took some time and crearivity to make him a unique fighter. Same can be said for anyone. Its up to the developers how unique a character ends out.

" Relevant "? Duck Hunt was hardly relevant in this day and age. Yet there he was.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace

But there's tons of niche/ cult classic/ dark horses/ idk types of characters that could be fun or interesting/ surprising.
I don't know, I'd say Bomberman is pretty iconic. I'm not sure about how popular he is, though. Anyone who calls themselves a gamer most likely knows who Bomberman is, even if they never played his games. His series has also existed longer than Zelda.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Even a Senran Kagura character?

Inb4 Hell no.

Six is wishful thinking, imo. The idea is from the that reddit image, I'm guessing?

I mean, from the looks of it, the rest of the characters will be based on the ballot. Three or five make more sense, in that case.

I thought Lloyd was mid-tier? Do you have a source?

Yes, I don't think we're getting six either (four is my prediction), I just mentioned it because of that Reddit image.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Let me guess, K. Rool and Inkling will be near the top disreguarding their costumes and hardware limitations entirely?
technical limitations are also a factor, thanks for reminding me

but why do mii costumes affect anything? It would make more sense that a character would be an Assist Trophy if Sakurai still wanted them represented properly without being playable. Waluigi, Ghirahim, Ashley, Takamaru and formerly Isaac are probably in this boat. It's silly to think Sakurai wishes to appease players through Mii costumes. I think he realizes how little people actually play with them compared to other characters.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

but why do mii costumes affect anything? It would make more sense that a character would be an Assist Trophy if Sakurai still wanted them represented properly without being playable. Waluigi, Ghirahim, Ashley, Takamaru and formerly Isaac are probably in this boat. It's silly to think Sakurai wishes to appease players through Mii costumes. I think he realizes how little people actually play with them compared to other characters.
Yeah, I guess the costumes don't matter. Go on then, don't let me effect the teir list. :)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

We don't know whether assist trophies can be added to the game as DLC.

It makes for rather bad marketing, really. Notice that all DLC we got has been related to gameplay - playable characters, costumes for Mii fighters and stages. An assist trophy is like saying "we couldn't let you play as this character, sorry." A Mii costume is easier to make and will sell better, to boot.

So, there is some logic to seeing Mii fighters as consolation prizes. We don't have proof one way or other about Mii costumes dis-confirming newcomers. People are hoping they don't because that would rule out K. Rool and Inkings who are both massively popular.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Also what hardware limitations for K.Rool and Inkling?
I think that's is towards the Squid Kids because how would they implement the Ink without annihilating the 3DS' processor.

Which I think they can find a work around like making one their moves like Greninja's Shadow Sneak where it's similar to transversing like in the Squid form.

Inklings are best known for covering the arena with Ink which can be used as transportation and attacks.
It's just figuring it out how it will be implemented to work well and is balanced well.

K. Rool really isn't related to that, really.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that's is towards the Squid Kids because how would they implement the Ink without annihilating the 3DS' processor.

Which I think they can find a work around like making one their moves like Greninja's Shadow Sneak where it's similar to transversing like in the Squid form.

Inklings are best known for covering the arena with Ink which can be used as transportation and attacks.
It's just figuring it out how it will be implemented to work well and is balanced well.

K. Rool really isn't related to that, really.
Exactly what I meant. :)

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I don't know why K. Rool would have any hardware limitations (explaination pls to whoever brought that up), but this point comes up a lot for Inklings. It's often speculate whether or not the inking mechanics, if they were to get in, would be too much for the Wii U to handle for 8 players or for the 3ds to handle.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Trying to add in Inklings might be difficult even for the Wii u version. They use Ink to move around and that will probably be implemented in their moveset. That seems difficult to program in a fighting game, and a bit unfair. Maybe Smash 5?

I don't think K.rool would have hardware limitations though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Speaking of that, don't abbreviate it as SK. People will confuse it with Shovel Knight. :p

Right, I fogot that blue shoveler was controversial around these parts. The indies themselves aren't really bad choices, but I'm personally pretty neutral to them.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
K. Rool wouldn't have any hardware limitations I don't think, however Inklings' ink could be hard to process on the 3DS if Sakurai wanted to keep them as canonically close to their game's origins as possible, not to mention they'd require switching models for a majority of their moveset, so that's another thing to consider.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*Was that thing about Samus being trans legitimate?
No, it's not legitimate in the slightest, only 'evidence' is a quote from a guy who didn't work on Metroid 1, which is funny as Sakamoto said something about 'Metroid Prime going on PS2 is as likely as Samus being a newhalf', newhalf being slang for transgender. That, and the canonical manga's a factor. If you think anything Brianna Wu says is legitimate, please slap yourself in the face. That woman pisses me off so much...

I saw Lloyd talk. As someone who has no interest in the Tales games, I don't know what to think

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Why is Shovel Knight getting so much hate recently? I don't want him but I recall a lot of people agreeing to the idea of having him in when the ballot was announced.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Why is Shovel Knight getting so much hate recently? I don't want him but I recall a lot of people agreeing to the idea of having him in when the ballot was announced.
Because he's from an indie game that was released a year ago and has never seen light from Japanese audiences. No one in the West really realizes that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
K. Rool wouldn't have any hardware limitations I don't think, however Inklings' ink could be hard to process on the 3DS if Sakurai wanted to keep them as canonically close to their game's origins as possible, not to mention they'd require switching models for a majority of their moveset, so that's another thing to consider.
The model thing is inconsequential. It'd just be like Pac-Man going into his missing-pizza-slice form. It's not the same as transforming characters of past games.

And I don't really think it's fair to say that ink covering would be "hard to process" necessarily, it's essentially a lingering projectile at its core.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It's not really hate, it's more like people are discounting his chances for the reasons listed above. If he gets in I won't be mad honestly.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The model thing is inconsequential. It'd just be like Pac-Man going into his missing-pizza-slice form. It's not the same as transforming characters of past games.

And I don't really think it's fair to say that ink covering would be "hard to process" necessarily, it's essentially a lingering projectile at its core.
What I mean is that it spreading across the Battlefield could cause framerate drops and freezing and could be hard to handle because of this.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What I mean is that it spreading across the Battlefield could cause framerate drops and freezing and could be hard to handle because of this.
...because of...?

That seems like a rather baseless assumption considering we have no reason to believe it would be that taxing on the system.

No one in the West really realizes that.
This is a sweeping generalization you may want to reword. Because many many MANY people have brought this up. It ;s hi biggest detracting point by far. :p
When the ballot was announced everyone as jumping at everything shoved in front of them. It's why Wonder Red and Bayonetta and Shovel Knight were so popular at the beginning of the ballot. As people came up with detracting points more and more fans were lost.
With only 1 game, that until recently gave more content to consoles that weren't nintendo (guest characters) that had yet to be released into japan, he became "undeserving." With ballot slots limited people really don't want to see a completely new, one region, multiplat get in before anyone else. . .
Or at least that is what the haters think.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
...because of...?

That seems like a rather baseless assumption considering we have no reason to believe it would be that taxing on the system.
Because of the Ink. After all, too much activity on screen was why... I'll stop.
This is a sweeping generalization you may want to reword. Because many many MANY people have brought this up. It ;s hi biggest detracting point by far. :p

When the ballot was announced everyone as jumping at everything shoved in front of them. It's why Wonder Red and Bayonetta and Shovel Knight were so popular at the beginning of the ballot. As people came up with detracting points more and more fans were lost.
With only 1 game, that until recently gave more content to consoles that weren't nintendo (guest characters) that had yet to be released into japan, he became "undeserving." With ballot slots limited people really don't want to see a completely new, one region, multiplat get in before anyone else. . .
Or at least that is what the haters think.
Oni, Oni, Oni...
It was an exaggeration. :facepalm:

Burruni

Smash Hero
How likely do people see another 3rd party in DLC, by the way?
Outside of the Sonic series, SEGA doesn't quite have any franchise of the same level as the ones already in the game. Same with Namco.

I don't see indies like Shantae and Shovel Knight as particularly likely either, yet.

SEGA has Atlus, which has SMT.

If it's good enough to cross into Fire Emblem, it's good enough to get into Smash!

JACK FROST FOR SMASH!

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
As a biased supporter of Inklings I'd like to point out that the whole "hardware issue" is merely speculation, the system would only have to account for Ink on a 2-d plane rather than a 3-d one like in Splatoon. Besides, if Sakurai really wanted to make it work there are plenty of options he could take to avoid any hardware limitations there may be.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm curious to know what technical expertise you have to diagnose K. Rool and Inklings as having "hardware limitations" that would inhibit the team from adding them in spite of their mountains of votes.

Edit: looks like others have ninja'd me. Question still stands.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because of the Ink. After all, too much activity on screen was why... I'll stop.

Oni, Oni, Oni...
It was an exaggeration. :facepalm:
But that's just the point; it's not a lot of "activity." The ink is static.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom