• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I only believe Shantae has a chance. She has a pretty long history with Nintendo. Wayforward knows this which is why they have been pushing her so hard.

However, I also believe Shantae's chances are smaller than many 3rd parties. Actually, I think she should be the only Indie until more prove themselves to her standard.
The thing is, the relationship with Nintendo isn't what's important. It's the history in gaming itself.

Shantae would have to get herself to icon status. That's all we've gotten in Smash thus far. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Snake are all icons of gaming. Shantae can't really argue that. I don't know that any indie could be considered a gaming icon just yet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing is, the relationship with Nintendo isn't what's important. It's the history in gaming itself.

Shantae would have to get herself to icon status. That's all we've gotten in Smash thus far. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu and Snake are all icons of gaming. Shantae can't really argue that. I don't know that any indie could be considered a gaming icon just yet.
Quote and Shovel Knight are Indie Icons, but even then, Quote's a bigger icon imo, first indie and all

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The thing is an indie character could get in just by virtue of being an indie character.

I think it's fair to say that indie gaming has made an impact on the history of gaming (I mean, most games I play these days are indie), even if there are few individual indies that have made a huge mark.

Last edited:

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Quote and Shovel Knight are Indie Icons, but even then, Quote's a bigger icon imo, first indie and all
Not in the same form as the classic ones (Sonic, Ryu, Snake, Megaman, Pacman), indies are not too sucessful as the 3rd parties in Smash, not enough

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You know, indie games existed before Cave Story.

That was around the time they became popular and more exposed sure, but it's not correct to say Quote is notable because he's the first indie.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not gonna spend much more time on indies because I'm sure people are tied of hearing it. Just wrapping it up.
The funny thing is I didn't think the game was really all that hard. Granted, if it was truly an NES game, it wouldn't have them in the first place, in which case, yeah, it'd be pretty much impossible.

I think you're going a tab BIT overboard on this one, but I do agree, Shovel Knight isn't timeless. In fact... I didn't even "love" the game at all. I thought it was a bit of fun, but it just didn't wow me at all. "Ooh, I can do a pogo jump! Whoop-de-doo."

It doesn't do anything special, its just a generic retro-inspired 2D platformer.
Essentially my point is that. It's not timeless. I'm not saying it didn't do somethings well. But when you look at Shovel Knight, its a appeal is "Oh, its like NES games." And why would people like that. Because in the current market place, folks like games that look like old games. But Shovel Knight doesn't have the old game spirit, just the look. One red flag is the lack of lives. Lives mean you need to design obstacle courses rather than challenges. You have to think how the player will move through the level and how there health is. No lives mean you can add BS to levels, like instant death pits and enemies that knock you into them. The fact that levels are long is also telling because, with limited lives, it would be harder. Sean Malstrom didn't say Shovel Knight was hard, but annoying.

Why does this matter? Because in the context of Smash, is the character going to be timeless? Pac-Man, Megaman, Sonic and Ryu are classic well-known characters. They've stood the test of time and are worth of inclusion. Sakurai has said this is a courtesy to include these characters and they take a lot of legal work. Throwing Shovel Knight, just because, would not work out.

SmashChu SmashChu I think that interview is just bunk. He doesn't like the game because it has:
worse graphics
many checkpoints
high difficulty.
take out the checkpoints, add a life system and you pretty much get a retro game, and as someone who can't beat any of the 8-bit Mega Man games, or Super Mario Bros., it's not that hard. Difficult yes, but not what he has made it out to be. Also, your comparison to Undertale is unfair, as it was wasn't meant to be all out retro like Shovel Knight was.

EDIT: (clicks link cuz curiosity) Geez that final boss is creepy!
Again, he didn't say it was hard, just annoying. Long levels are a new thing, as retro games had shorter ones. Consider Sonic 3 and Knuckles which had some long levels. For comparison, the second level of Shovel Knight (Pridemore Keep) is about as long as the longest level in Sonic 3, Carnival Night. NES games, of course, had far shorter levels (look at Megaman and Mario games). Lives force you to design levels with longevity in mind. You can't throw instant death traps around like Shovel Knight does because all you'll do is eat up the player's lives. You have to think about how the player will progress through the entire game.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Wonder if it's occurred to anyone that Sakurai just might include an indie because they might be "fun to play".

I'll show myself out.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Meh. I don't really think indie characters belong in Smash... YET. The popular indie choices on the ballot either are not iconic enough to get in (Shantae) or are way too young (Shovel Knight). Shovel Knight sounds like a good idea, I mean he's got a lot to work with move set wise. However, it would be a slap in the face if he, a year old indie character with ONE GAME got in over the countless amount of Nintendo characters who have yet to be in Smash. Heck, Shovel Knight's game hasn't even been released in Japan. I know that there are some Smash characters like Roy or Shulk who have managed to get in the game despite being non iconic and young, but they're Nintendo characters, so the rule does not apply to them.

To be consistent with my characters argument, I'd probably be a bit disappointed if an non iconic indie character got into Smash before like say an Advance War character, but at the same time I think Shovel Knight/Shantae would be interesting enough character wise for me to enjoy them. I just think that it's not their time yet. They need to actually innovate the gaming industry in some way before getting into Smash as characters. At the very least, they should get trophies or Mii outfits.

Besides, since Shovel Knight is only a year old, how do we know that he is going to be iconic in the future? If anything, Shovel Knight seems more like a fad to me, I mean all the hype he's causing seems exactly like something you would see from a fad. I'd wait five years or more to see if Shovel Knight is still relevant enough as well instead of just slapping him in Smash because "muh popularity".

Also, I think the only reason why people are even asking for indie characters now is because of the Commander Video trophy. Guess like people's hopes skyrocketed when they saw that Nintendo cared enough about indie characters to put one as a trophy. :B It's weird though, I mean, how iconic is Commander Video anyway? For one thing, I didn't even know who he was until Smash 4 came out. Also, no one is asking for him. I hardly see any Commander Video Smash Campaigns around here.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It's hardly surprising that Shovel Knight took off in popularity when it's an homage to classic gaming in an era where most mainstream developers now prefer style over substance.

But anyway; if Shovel Knight doesn't make it in, it'll either be because he didn't have enough of a presence on the official ballot as most people thought, or Sakurai just didn't choose him plain and simple. Mostly, as far as we can tell, the main reason would likely be his lack of history.

If we're playing around with semantics again when trying to determine which characters "deserve" to get in or not, then you might want to remember the difference between "rules" established by Sakurai himself, and rules made up by the fanbase. So-called icon status alone isn't and should not be the sole measurement of whether or not a character could fit.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I only believe Shantae has a chance. She has a pretty long history with Nintendo. Wayforward knows this which is why they have been pushing her so hard.

However, I also believe Shantae's chances are smaller than many 3rd parties. Actually, I think she should be the only Indie until more prove themselves to her standard.
Relationships with the the company isn not what it takes to be included as a third party. There's other factors to consider. I feel the whole relationship thing is the smallest factor when choosing a third party. So why do this always end up being bought up? There are other third party characters who's been around much longer and have more of a legacy behind them that could turn heads if they were included in Smash.

If relationships were a the BIG factor then why has there yet to be a Square Enix rep? Or another Namco and Sega characters.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Doesn't mean this cannot change. I wouldn't be against it..
Simply means much lesser icons will have a chance.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Meh. I don't really think indie characters belong in Smash... YET. The popular indie choices on the ballot either are not iconic enough to get in (Shantae) or are way too young (Shovel Knight). Shovel Knight sounds like a good idea, I mean he's got a lot to work with move set wise. However, it would be a slap in the face if he, a year old indie character with ONE GAME got in over the countless amount of Nintendo characters who have yet to be in Smash. Heck, Shovel Knight's game hasn't even been released in Japan. I know that there are some Smash characters like Roy or Shulk who have managed to get in the game despite being non iconic and young, but they're Nintendo characters, so the rule does not apply to them.

To be consistent with my characters argument, I'd probably be a bit disappointed if an non iconic indie character got into Smash before like say an Advance War character, but at the same time I think Shovel Knight/Shantae would be interesting enough character wise for me to enjoy them. I just think that it's not their time yet. They need to actually innovate the gaming industry in some way before getting into Smash as characters. At the very least, they should get trophies or Mii outfits.

Besides, since Shovel Knight is only a year old, how do we know that he is going to be iconic in the future? If anything, Shovel Knight seems more like a fad to me, I mean all the hype he's causing seems exactly like something you would see from a fad. I'd wait five years or more to see if Shovel Knight is still relevant enough as well instead of just slapping him in Smash because "muh popularity".

Also, I think the only reason why people are even asking for indie characters now is because of the Commander Video trophy. Guess like people's hopes skyrocketed when they saw that Nintendo cared enough about indie characters to put one as a trophy. :B It's weird though, I mean, how iconic is Commander Video anyway? For one thing, I didn't even know who he was until Smash 4 came out. Also, no one is asking for him. I hardly see any Commander Video Smash Campaigns around here.
Not to mention when it comes to Shantae who's been around much longer than Shovel Knight she still barely gets noticed by Nintendo. I feel with all that pushing Wayfoward did to get votes for the ballot, if Nintendo had yet to notice then I really don't think they will be noticed by them at all, and it's sad because Wayforward is a great company, if Shantae isn't playable at least let her be Mii costume or at least a trophy. While I didn't support the character I do think they deserve something even if it's small. It'll be better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Not to mention when it comes to Shantae who's been around much longer than Shovel Knight she still barely gets noticed by Nintendo. I feel with all that pushing Wayfoward did to get votes for the ballot, if Nintendo had yet to notice then I really don't think they will be noticed by them at all, and it's sad because Wayforward is a great company, if Shantae isn't playable at least let her be Mii costume.
Nah I'm pretty sure Sakurai noticed in this case.

Actually, it would not surprise me if one day we got a Mii Costume wave with ONLY Indie costumes.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Nah I'm pretty sure Sakurai noticed in this case.

Actually, it would not surprise me if one day we got a Mii Costume wave with ONLY Indie costumes.
I doubt it, the only 3rd party costumes we have right now are Lloyd, Heihatchi, Akira and Jacky, all of which are owned by already represented companies. Adding a bunch of indie costumes would require a ton of legal work, I can see one, maybe two

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Detached from any certain character, what type of play style would y'all like to see implemented for DLC?

I would personally like to see a character built around setting up traps and area denial.
A big & hard hitting & heavy type playstyle.
Also one that is very new. Such as shape-shifting.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Is Shovel Knight not the only indie character to crossover with a gaming icon like Kratos and Battletoads to a lesser extent?

Didn't Yacht Club Games say they wanted to make a Super Shovel Knight and a Shovel Knight 64?

Calane

Smash Ace
What's with all the Shovel Knight hate here? The game was great. It had great music, likable characters, good level design (even if they were a bit on the long side), and some great boss battles. It's not my favorite game ever, but it was very solid.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
User was warned for this post
Nintendo just released a new direct :yeahboi:
-Content Removed-

Last edited by a moderator:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Detached from any certain character, what type of play style would y'all like to see implemented for DLC?

I would personally like to see a character built around setting up traps and area denial.
Wouldn't you know it? I have a hankering for the same kind of character. I wonder who could do the job... :troll:

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Series don't necessarily get characters based on their size.

Roy plays entirely different from Marth. So I don't really get why people still argue that he's a "clone". He's about as much a clone as Falco, Luigi or Ganondorf. Leave him alone.
LEAVE ROY ALONE, YOU SHOULD BE GRATEFUL HE WAS ADDED YOU ********!

I couldn't resist.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Shovel Knight:
As a frontrunner of the -bring back nostalgia but in new ways- movement, the game has always appealed to me.
The more support he gets, rather, the more ridiculous press he gets trying to claim he is likely/important/anything bigger than what he is, it unfortunately leaves a sour taste in my mouth... such is unfortunate, as he seems like a fun, if not generally bland, character.

They should bring back Pokemon Trainer.

But instead of Red....

Imposter Professor Oak with Gengar & Koffing.

Idk I like villains
Pokemon Trainer, the OG avatar character and protagonist of Pokemon's main games, is the biggest, bar none, disappointment to the roster. The only thing more upsetting is when his importance to NINTENDO and POP CUTURE as a whole are diminished by fanboyism.

In himself he represents more of the franchise than every other Mon, which are just popular characters, except Mewtwo. Bring him back with summon and the ability to utilize the games' main vehicle, the POKEBALL, and he will be a force with whom to be reckoned. Come at me with this one anyone, I will take on any contrary point. For it, I beg.
EDIT: To be clear, my point is that Pikachu and Mewtwo are the only ones on the roster, currently, who are not *merely* popular, but are actually indicative of more to the series. Pikachu is the mascot (and surrogate protagonist I suppose), Mewtwo is the original boss, legendary, and antagonist to the original movie.

So, would anyone be upset if Kid Icarus got another fighter but was much more unique compared to Pit and Palutena.

Like Medusa, Hades or even Pyron
I wish Medusa had been added as a clone in the first place, instead of Dark Pit. Not as if Palutena does not have enough source Material for her. Different defaults and, ta-da.

I wish Nintendo would pick up this Drag/Greek world and continue the franchise. If Nintendo were to release a new game for it, or an announcement, I would respect a character much more so, as the characters in the world could easily be my third favorite from Nintendo.
I would just find it a waste of DLC, in regard to helping Nintendo long term, to add another Kid Icarus character, given the current situation.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'll just share this once. Even if you don't want Bayonetta in, please take a glance or look or whatever. Before it was out of date and had stuff from wikipedia copied & pasted ect.
http://smashboards.com/threads/bayo...ted-official-post-under-new-ownership.327776/

Thanks!
------- - --------------- --- --------------
Shovel Knight:
As a frontrunner of the -bring back nostalgia but in new ways- movement, the game has always appealed to me.
The more support he gets, rather, the more ridiculous press he gets trying to claim he is likely/important/anything bigger than what he is, it unfortunately leaves a sour taste in my mouth... such is unfortunate, as he seems like a fun, if not generally bland, character.

Pokemon Trainer, the OG avatar character and protagonist of Pokemon's main games, is the biggest, bar none, disappointment to the roster. The only thing more upsetting is when his importance to NINTENDO and POP CUTURE as a whole are diminished by fanboyism.

In himself he represents more of the franchise than every other Mon, which are just popular characters, except Mewtwo. Bring him back with summon and the ability to utilize the games' main vehicle, the POKEBALL, and he will be a force with whom to be reckoned. Come at me with this one anyone, I will take on any contrary point. For it, I beg.

I wish Medusa had been added as a clone in the first place, instead of Dark Pit. Not as if Palutena does not have enough source Material for her. Different defaults and, ta-da.

I wish Nintendo would pick up this Drag/Greek world and continue the franchise. If Nintendo were to release a new game for it, or an announcement, I would respect a character much more so, as the characters in the world could easily be my third favorite from Nintendo.
I would just find it a waste of DLC, in regard to helping Nintendo long term, to add another Kid Icarus character, given the current situation.
I would be EXTREMELY angry. Medusa can be soooo much more than a clone...

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
He's not descent from Greil, he's descent from Ike, the "Radiant Hero" / "Hero of the Blue Flames". There's a huge difference.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/06/harvest-moon-wii-u-announcement/

Huh, I guess it is. Keep in mind, though, that Harvest Moon technically isn't Harvest Moon anymore. Its Harvest Moon in name only. This one does seem like it might be closer to the classic games, though. I believe Rune Factory is entirely owned by Marvelous Entertainment.

Natsume currently owns the Harvest Moon trademark in the west, while the real Harvest Moon games are now called "Story of Seasons" in the localizations (because Marvelous had their own publishers and didn't want to go through Natsume after they got the IP from Neverland). Marvelous I believe now owns all of Neverland's IP. ("Lufia" was only developed by Neverland, Taito owned that, which means now Square Enix does; and since Taito published the first Lufia game in the west they own the trademark as well.)

Yeah, Natsume and Harvest Moon's situation is weird. Luckily Wikipedia knows the truth about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Seasons_(series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_(Natsume_series)

EDIT: As for Harvest Moon characters in Smash... eh, I doubt it.
Jeez, when did Harvest Moon get so complicated. Sigh, back holding my breath for Isaac

I desperately want a summoner. Someone who's physical attacks are lacking in KB and damage and are unimpressive, but can summon short lived minions and/or summon them for specific attack animations ala Zelda Down smash style. Andy/Sami and Pokemon Trainer are the first to come to mind

Last edited:
I think that, if a character has enough moveset potential to become an unique fighter, being added to Smash as a last-minute clone is a bad thing for the character. I mean, Ganondorf seems to be doomed to stay as semi-clone forever, despite having potential to be an unique fighter.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Since Isaac is Nintendo-owned and has high requests in the ballot he's a fairly decently likely candidate overall at this point.
I feel like he's on that bubble between being the last one in and being the first one held off. Eve optimistically, this is his last shot and for every good thing he has going, he has a couple glarign weaknesses, and this is coming from someone who's realistic list of character to get he wants to see in his left at pretty much just Isaac

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel like he's on that bubble between being the last one in and being the first one held off. Eve optimistically, this is his last shot and for every good thing he has going, he has a couple glarign weaknesses, and this is coming from someone who's realistic list of character to get he wants to see in his left at pretty much just Isaac
I certainly wouldn't say this is his "last" shot. As long as he's decent high in the ballot there will probably be a Golden Sun 4. If he's highly enough requested to "almost" make it into Smash, it shows he's popular enough that GS can and will get a fourth game (the debate is on how close he was if he doesn't make it). If Isaac does make it, though, GS4 is practically guaranteed to happen, and it might be happening already and we just don't know about it yet.

My opinion is the same on K. Rool. At this point, he's basically guaranteed to return to DKC. And most likely he will hopefully be in Smash as well.

The ballot is, again, not just for Smash but for future games as well.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I certainly wouldn't say this is his "last" shot. As long as he's decent high in the ballot there will probably be a Golden Sun 4. If he's highly enough requested to "almost" make it into Smash, it shows he's popular enough that GS can and will get a fourth game (the debate is on how close he was if he doesn't make it). If Isaac does make it, though, GS4 is practically guaranteed to happen, and it might be happening already and we just don't know about it yet.

My opinion is the same on K. Rool. At this point, he's basically guaranteed to return to DKC. And most likely he will hopefully be in Smash as well.

The ballot is, again, not just for Smash but for future games as well.
Fair, I was going off the belief that Dark Dawn was the last entry, and when I said last shot I meant Smash 4 DLC as a whole vs. being in Smash 5. If Dark Dawn is the last game and Isaac doesn't make it into smash 4, then I don't see him making it into smash 5, those are the caveats I should have specified.

Again GS4 and Isaac in the first round of DLC is my dream scenario. Only character that can be added that I would drop all other characters for and exclusively play 2 characters

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I think that, if a character has enough moveset potential to become an unique fighter, being added to Smash as a last-minute clone is a bad thing for the character. I mean, Ganondorf seems to be doomed to stay as semi-clone forever, despite having potential to be an unique fighter.
As a Ganon main, this truth pains me... Because I have long now accepted it and love playing what we've gotten, but no one deserves their own kit as much as him. We needed brawl to take bigger leaps because now it's pretty much set in stone. Agreed and hope they spare other newcomers this fate.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I think that's pretty much why people really want Pig Ganon, and I'm all for it. He is incredibly intimidating, is big and heavy, and has a lot of moveset potential- plus, his figure doesn't lead him to easily being a clone of anyone either.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Fair, I was going off the belief that Dark Dawn was the last entry, and when I said last shot I meant Smash 4 DLC as a whole vs. being in Smash 5. If Dark Dawn is the last game and Isaac doesn't make it into smash 4, then I don't see him making it into smash 5, those are the caveats I should have specified.

Again GS4 and Isaac in the first round of DLC is my dream scenario. Only character that can be added that I would drop all other characters for and exclusively play 2 characters
Well, yeah. If there is no GS4 he definitely won't be in the next Smash. If there is a GS4, if he's not in Smash 4 DLC, he'll be in Smash 5 for certain, since there's not a whole lot of characters left to expand to, anyway, so even if the timing is bad again, there's not much else to add beyond Rhythm Heaven and GS for new IP's, and both are decently successful IP's that would've had four games. (Inklings too if they don't make it in now.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think that's pretty much why people really want Pig Ganon, and I'm all for it. He is incredibly intimidating, is big and heavy, and has a lot of moveset potential- plus, his figure doesn't lead him to easily being a clone of anyone either.
A lot of moveset material.
The main villain in one of Nintendo's "Big 4" of franchises.
Pretty sure he's been in at least triple the games as Ganondorf so he's the more commonly used forme.
Was last seen in Link Between Worlds while Ganondorf was last seen on the edge of Gamecube and Wii lifespans.
#5 most requested in Melee, before we knew ThunderCougarFalconDorf was gonna be a thing.
Zelda hasn't gotten a "true" newcomer since Melee.
It can embody the bits from a "true Ganondorf" moveset people want where TCFD likely won't change.
Heavyweight character with emphasis on projectiles
Could be the first character based on magic to not be garbage (:4zelda::4palutena: LOOKIN' AT YOU TWO)

There are plenty to reasons to want Ganon.

The issue is that K. Rool and Ridley have more of the public eye for "Due Villains"

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Also going to throw this in, concerning the risk vs. reward argument being brought up about choosing the "right" DLCs:

It's not unprecedented for a fighter dev team to spend time, resources, and advertisement on a character DLC when they had no assurance that the character would sell and/or the sales weren't the best once the DLC was out. This happened in Mortal Kombat 9 (the 2011 release).

MK9 introduced a new character to the series, but as a DLC: Skarlet. In fact, throughout the game's story mode, Skarlet makes multiple cameos as well as appearing in one of the stage backgrounds. So it seemed like they were trying to promote the character even before her launch. Skarlet was one of the rumored fighters that the series is historically known for; people thought there was a red female ninja alongside Kitana and Mileena in MK2, much like the Ermac bug from MK1. Yet when Skarlet came out, and after DLC for MK9 was finalized, she wound up not being the best-selling character.

This might apply to MKX's Tremor, as well.

I think what's important to note here is that MK is a more traditional fighter that demands longer and more meticulous movesets for characters (or at least, they started doing this with MK9 and MKX), so Skarlet would've taken the MK developers more time and resources compared to a new fighter for Smash 4; as Smash movesets are much simpler compared to ordinary fighter franchises.

And make no mistake; I realize that even making a fighter in Smash Bros. is a long and difficult process. But I think it's a false assumption to say that the teams and managers in charge of DLC here are mainly concerned with how much of a money-maker each and every character will be. I'm almost certain that it's far from being the only factor.

Especially with Sakurai being the man in charge.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Also going to throw this in, concerning the risk vs. reward argument being brought up about choosing the "right" DLCs:

It's not unprecedented for a fighter dev team to spend time, resources, and advertisement on a character DLC when they had no assurance that the character would sell and/or the sales weren't the best once the DLC was out. This happened in Mortal Kombat 9 (the 2011 release).

MK9 introduced a new character to the series, but as a DLC: Skarlet. In fact, throughout the game's story mode, Skarlet makes multiple cameos as well as appearing in one of the stage backgrounds. So it seemed like they were trying to promote the character even before her launch. Skarlet was one of the rumored fighters that the series is historically known for; people thought there was a red female ninja alongside Kitana and Mileena in MK2, much like the Ermac bug from MK1. Yet when Skarlet came out, and after DLC for MK9 was finalized, she wound up not being the best-selling character.

I think what's important to note here is that MK is a more traditional fighter that demands longer and more meticulous movesets for characters (or at least, they started doing this with MK9 and MKX), so Skarlet would've taken the MK developers more time and resources compared to a new fighter for Smash 4; as Smash movesets are much simpler compared to ordinary fighter franchises.

And make no mistake; I realize that even making a fighter in Smash Bros. is a long and difficult process. But I think it's a false assumption to say that the teams and managers in charge of DLC here are mainly concerned with how much of a money-maker each and every character will be. I'm almost certain that it's far from being the only factor.

The problem is Sakurai said this very thing, and that was his primary concern when deciding whether or not to do DLC characters: he wasn't sure if the characters would actually sell enough to make up the cost for development. He said this exact same thing before he even started DLC.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

100% agreed.
There are definitely other ways to make a character sell besides only using high demand as the biggest factor, just limiting to that doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
100% agreed.
There are definitely other ways to make a character sell besides only using high demand as the biggest factor, just limiting to that doesn't seem like something Sakurai would do.
high demand means high sale. Not to mention the most requested characters are unique. The way I see it, DLC will be fan demand and what Sakurai can do with the characters, no Wild Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom