• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Are you being serious right now?
No, here's what it was...
I had a weird dream last night, Wolf and Dixie were leaked along with Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony (She had a Pinky Pie alt) along with 16-player Smash.
Also in the dream, Big Miiverse and Ponyville were downloadable stages.
But I haven't even gotten to the worst part, Snake was cut from the series perminately because he was too tall and out of place. That's a thing...

Morbi

Scavenger
Shovelware Knight does not deserve to get in. We have plenty of first party characters and other third parties that could be a more interesting addition than that thing.
I am not sure, I will leave that decision to Sakurai to be honest. If Sakurai believes that Shovel Knight is interesting, it does not matter that legions of speculators criticize the fact that Shovel Knight has only been around for a year (the only real reason anyone would claim that Shovel Knight does not "deserve" to get in). Sometimes less is more and simplicity might be precisely what Sakurai desires in a character. You never know.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I am not sure, I will leave that decision to Sakurai to be honest. If Sakurai believes that Shovel Knight is interesting, it does not matter that legions of speculators criticize the fact that Shovel Knight has only been around for a year (the only real reason anyone would claim that Shovel Knight does not "deserve" to get in). Sometimes less is more and simplicity might be precisely what Sakurai desires in a character. You never know.
There's the fact that he's never gotten his game released in Japan.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's the fact that he's never gotten his game released in Japan.
Of course; however, that has nothing to do with the notion of whether or not he is deserving, correct? Or perhaps my sentiment regarding "deserving" is more liberal and/or focused specifically on a character and their merit.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He clearly isn't interested in women. Kinda like Raven and Lucius really, only paired ending is with another guy. See guys! Smash is authorized by Tumblr!
Except he has a descendant in Awakening which kinda destroys the entire argument. He and Soren are just very close friends and during the course of the games he wasn't really interested in romance at all. Apparently eventually he found someone, though, since he eventually had a kid at some point.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Except he has a descendant in Awakening which kinda destroys the entire argument. He and Soren are just very close friends and during the course of the games he wasn't really interested in romance at all. Apparently eventually he found someone, though, since he eventually had a kid at some point.
But...Surrogate mothers...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ike's sister is crying because they no longer have a memento of their mother. Ike tells her to quit bawling
Soren starts crying for no reason. Ike offers a shoulder. Fire Emblem has had Ho Yay and I saw a long and detailed post to why Ike could be gay
Ike x Soren is my OTP.

That is all.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Shovel Knight deserves his spot should he be given it, but is no requirement at this point in time.

His game is an instant classic and its Indie status is completely irrelevant with such a polished title that hangs with the likes of Mega Man's glory days and others. Indie was in mind when I played Shantae.

I would love to have SK music though... It's so good
But his move set, even with relics as options isn't that interesting for smash without some tweaking and imagination which I look forward to should he get the chance. Which is where Shantae, who's game I enjoyed... but find much lesser in comparison actually shines. I prefer SK overall but Shantae has better smash potential for playability or dare I mention it, tier placement/ability to hold her own vs the already formidable cast, as she's a faster and more fluid character by nature. For the record I don't have Shantae anywhere near my top picks though.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Ike's sister is crying because they no longer have a memento of their mother. Ike tells her to quit bawling
Soren starts crying for no reason. Ike offers a shoulder. Fire Emblem has had Ho Yay and I saw a long and detailed post to why Ike could be gay
I can think of a lot of reasons why Ike could do that and still be straight.

This.

Shovel Knight deserves his spot should he be given it, but is no requirement at this point in time.

His game is an instant classic and its Indie status is completely irrelevant with such a polished title that hangs with the likes of Mega Man's glory days and others. Indie was in mind when I played Shantae.

I would love to have SK music though... It's so good
But his move set, even with relics as options isn't that interesting for smash without some tweaking and imagination which I look forward to should he get the chance. Which is where Shantae, who's game I enjoyed... but find much lesser in comparison actually shines. I prefer SK overall but Shantae has better smash potential for playability or dare I mention it, tier placement/ability to hold her own vs the already formidable cast, as she's a faster and more fluid character by nature. For the record I don't have Shantae anywhere near my top picks though.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of either. I don't like the idea of Indie characters getting in over more deserving first party characters and veterans. Just my view, not trying to blatantly bash them.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
*steps away from personal life*

hmm....still no new announcements....

*steps back to personal life*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Are MLP characters actually being discussed now?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So if you pre order the new Harvest Moon game for Wii U, you'll get a special code for farmer wii costume.

But I'm also a compulsive liar.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Are MLP characters actually being discussed now?
Why, yes.

Consider that we had some incident on Reddit a week or so ago regarding one supposed guy with info that led people to joke of Gravity Falls characters coming to Smash. :awesome:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But...Surrogate mothers...
That doesn't work if Priam is a Direct descendant. Which he pretty much indicates he is. And even then, it simply wouldn't work at all in the case of a fantasy medieval game, so there's no point in trying to argue it. Ike and Soren are very close inseparable friends, but they're not romantically in love in any way.

You can have a very close bond of friendship and love without it being romantic whatsoever. And that's what Ike and Soren are, despite what a lot of people try to claim otherwise. And its not like they haven't had homosexual characters in the games in the past. Radiant Dawn clearly had Heather, for one.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

First, you comment is an oxymoron. Second, Sakurai has specifically stated that the character must carry some history with them. The character HAS to be around a while to meet that requirement. And there is good reason for that. In 2006 or so, games like Braid and Fez were the indie games. But now, when you think "indie," you don't think of these games. They don't have the same presence today. What does that mean for Shovel Knight. There will be a day when Shovel Knight will just be forgotten. The games I mentioned were popular only a generation ago. Where will Shovel Knight be next generation. Shovel Knight is at a huge risk for two big reasons. First is that Yacht Club is trying to shove the game down people's throughts. The amiibo. The cameos. More games and releases. There will eventually be customer fatigue. The second, and major, risk is that Shovel Knight is not timeless. It was made in the time where the fad was to make a game "be retro." This fad seems to be fading, especially as better and better tools come out which allow indie developers to make better games. Shovel Knight is locked in a fad he'll likely never escape.

One thing I've learned about the game business is that the unexpected is the most successful. Usually the dark horse wins the race. I believe that to be very true of indie games. The two games I'd look to be the most timeless are Five Nights at Freddy's and Undertale. The reason is they both do something strong within their genre. FNaF revolutionized the genre to make horror games game play focused rather than event focused. Undertale plays a lot of RPG tropes while building its own identity. What I've noticed about these games is there was no hype. They've grown out of nothing. In Undertale's case, I'm seeing more and more people becoming fans of this game. FNaF will be more successful in the long run (its getting a movie for Pete's sake), Undertale will be a cult classic. Fans of Undertale LOVE the game. Shovel Knight was a hype game and while it has done well, it may likely run its course. I would not look at Yacht Club games for innovation in indies unless they can prove they aren't a one trick pony.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well Ike has a sister, Mist, there's nothing saying Priam doesn't come from her half of the family.

....But Sometimes it's just nice to let people have their beliefs and carry on.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wait..new harvest moon game? You mean there's the slightest of chances for Jack to make his entrance?? I will dream this dream until DLC ceases

ErenJager

Smash Champion
They should bring back Pokemon Trainer.

But instead of Red....

Imposter Professor Oak with Gengar & Koffing.

Idk I like villains

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well Ike has a sister, Mist, there's nothing saying Priam doesn't come from her half of the family.

....But Sometimes it's just nice to let people have their beliefs and carry on.
He's not descent from Greil, he's descent from Ike, the "Radiant Hero" / "Hero of the Blue Flames". There's a huge difference.

Wait..new harvest moon game? You mean there's the slightest of chances for Jack to make his entrance?? I will dream this dream until DLC ceases
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/06/harvest-moon-wii-u-announcement/

Huh, I guess it is. Keep in mind, though, that Harvest Moon technically isn't Harvest Moon anymore. Its Harvest Moon in name only. This one does seem like it might be closer to the classic games, though. I believe Rune Factory is entirely owned by Marvelous Entertainment.

Natsume currently owns the Harvest Moon trademark in the west, while the real Harvest Moon games are now called "Story of Seasons" in the localizations (because Marvelous had their own publishers and didn't want to go through Natsume after they got the IP from Neverland). Marvelous I believe now owns all of Neverland's IP. ("Lufia" was only developed by Neverland, Taito owned that, which means now Square Enix does; and since Taito published the first Lufia game in the west they own the trademark as well.)

Yeah, Natsume and Harvest Moon's situation is weird. Luckily Wikipedia knows the truth about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Seasons_(series)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_Moon_(Natsume_series)

EDIT: As for Harvest Moon characters in Smash... eh, I doubt it.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So, would anyone be upset if Kid Icarus got another fighter but was much more unique compared to Pit and Palutena.

Like Medusa, Hades or even Pyron

So, would anyone be upset if Kid Icarus got another fighter but was much more unique compared to Pit and Palutena.

If it was Viridi I would be dead. . .from hype overload.

Hades would be pretty cool and Medusa is a bit meh. But I don't care for reps so I suppose the answer is no.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

If its anyone but Medusa yes. Medusa I feel should get priority since she's been around longer, one of the three originals.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
If we were to get either a Kirby or Kid Icarus rep, I would go for another rep from Kirby.

Kirby is Sakurai's baby, he created the series and I feel the series didn't get that much representation on Smash 4. It's the still the main trio, Where's Bandana Dee?
Also, Kid Icarus got pretty good treatment here.

Bwill3002

Smash Rookie
NNID
BMW_Spiderman
Gameboy for SSB4 - (just the specials)
would look similar to BMO, mid weight character and mid speed

Neutral b ~ Cartridge throw - tosses a random gameboy cartridge at the opponent (4%)
Side b ~ Tetris blocks - blocs fall down in a small area in front of Gameboy until they make a row and explode. Blocks falling will burry ~ 6%, row explosion does 15% , Classic Pacman - Pacman speeds through the opponent 9%. Starter pokemon - summons all three starter pokemon from Gold and Silver(takes the longest) does14%. Classic Mario - Mario will throw a firball on the opponent (4%) and then will try to jump on the opponent burring them (9%)

Up b ~ Cable link - A cable link will swing Gameboy in any direction 7%

Down b ~ Pause - This move only has range is Gameboy's body, if an opponent is hit by it they be sent into launched then frozen for 5 seconds(does 45%). When in pause Gameboy can too the opponent adding to the launch trajectory, or move them around like they lost their stamina in stamina battle

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
A Harvest Moon character would probably be my #1 supported character if it seemed even a little possible. The franchise is ages old, and I've been playing since before I can remember. I'm forever a Harvest Moon fanboy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's funny how people turn against characters and games when Smash is involved.
I'm sure before Smash Bros. was a factor "Shovel Knight is awesome! What a great game!"

After Smash it's: "What an undeserving piece of trash! I hate him!"

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
First, you comment is an oxymoron. Second, Sakurai has specifically stated that the character must carry some history with them. The character HAS to be around a while to meet that requirement. And there is good reason for that. In 2006 or so, games like Braid and Fez were the indie games. But now, when you think "indie," you don't think of these games. They don't have the same presence today. What does that mean for Shovel Knight. There will be a day when Shovel Knight will just be forgotten. The games I mentioned were popular only a generation ago. Where will Shovel Knight be next generation. Shovel Knight is at a huge risk for two big reasons. First is that Yacht Club is trying to shove the game down people's throughts. The amiibo. The cameos. More games and releases. There will eventually be customer fatigue. The second, and major, risk is that Shovel Knight is not timeless. It was made in the time where the fad was to make a game "be retro." This fad seems to be fading, especially as better and better tools come out which allow indie developers to make better games. Shovel Knight is locked in a fad he'll likely never escape.
I am not the campaign leader for Shovel Knight but it's an outright blunder to compare it to Braid etc. I'm 27, I'm highly in tune with try hard and overhype as I've seen it time and again. The game is a classic and it won't be forgotten by myself, a jaded member of the gaming world, and that's where I base opinion. The game is not successful because it's riding the retro wagon, that does little for me, the game is successful because its fundamentals are so well polished and it is charming and well paced. It doesn't reinvent the wheel by any means but it doesn't falter in delivery of proper gaming elements. Like I said, I don't think he has as much right to a smash slot as many but if he does manage one, it wouldn't be unfair.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

If its another Uprising character, then yes I would be upset. That game has enough nods and representation in Smash Wii U/3DS they might as well be indirect sequels to it.

Now if we got a KI character from the other games like the NES incarnation of the Reapers, then I might consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom