• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Did nobody read the character bios in Smash 64? That's how I learned about those characters.

Well just the ones I didn't know like Ness and Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm.. I'm just gonna vent something. Feel free to skip it but I wanna just get this out.

When Smash 64 and Melee came out, I was too young to have any real sense of Speculation. However, I started tracking Brawl as soon as it came up in a GameInformer magazine... I want to say around 2006 and from there by the site itself, independant of Smashboards obviously.

Across the ride of Brawl, I had a general idea of a top 10 list for characters.

1) :warioc:
2) :dedede:
3) Gardevoir
4) :olimar:
5) :metaknight:
6) :lucario:
7) :ike:
8) :4bowserjr:
9) Waluigi
10) Geno (I know, I know...)

And damn did it feel great to get those vindications and FRIGGIN :sonic: as a reveal shortly before the game came out.

This time, however...

Main Game
1) Ashley
2) Waluigi
3) Bandana Dee
4) Sceptile
5) Anna
6) :4palutena: (and god that base special moveset...)
7) Donbe & Hikari
8) :4shulk: (once I found how who he was)
9) Ganon
10) Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)

And... it became a bit crushing. The biggest spike of hype was, frankly, the announcement back with :4megaman:.

And as we've shifted into post, so this is basically DLC/Smash 5

1) Waluigi
2) Ganon
3) Bandana Dee
4) Anna
5) Black Mage
6) Ashley
7) Inklings
8) Shantae
9) Donbe & Hikari
10) Jack Frost

And... simply said, a few of them are pure pipedreams even if we get a sequel 5 years from now.

As the last Smash game I may be able to properly follow and have time to delve into, this was not the hoorah of hype that I felt across Brawl's announcements.

I'll be quiet about it, just... yeah.

Morbi

Scavenger
Incoming text-wall re: Banjo & Kazooie and their inevitable reveal.

I believe that Banjo and Kazooie are far more likely than the standard preconceived notions regarding their possible inclusion might entail. The common assumption surrounding their chance as a playable character is that their aforementioned likelihood is non-existent for one simple reason: they are currently owned by Microsoft. First and foremost, this is obviously detrimental to Banjo and Kazooie; however, it is of my opinion that people are blatantly writing them off based on this mere fact. It does not effect them nearly as much as band-wagoners seem to believe.

I have supported characters in the past that were deemed "impossible" just because they did not conform to the standards of speculation. They had their fair share of issues. For instance, the first of which was Toon Link. In light of Sakurai's assertions that the roster was going to receive an undisclosed amount of cuts as the roster was reaching its maximum threshold, a lot of people speculated against his inclusion. Of course, after that, there was the stage reveal with Conductor Link to help confirm their biases. I; however, still remained certain that Toon Link would return based on his own merits. The second notable prediction that I was correct with pertained to Solo-Charizard. Sakurai released statements about balance, and how balance was multiplication as opposed to addition. I believed that this was a subtle allusion to the fact that Pokemon Trainer, by far the most difficult character to balance, was removed. Nobody thought that it would happen because Pokemon Trainer represented arguably the most important aspect of Pokemon. Sakurai had already gone through the allegedly difficult developmental time before, why would he opt out for this title? Regardless, we are no longer living in the past. Solo-Charizard is probably less of surprise today, it has become reality and, I cannot speak for everyone, but it feels natural. Lastly, there were Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. In response to Sakurai releasing statements about characters that function inherently different receiving their own slots, I began campaigning for both of these characters. The issue; however, was an obvious one. Going back to the statements that lead people to predict that Toon Link was guaranteed for omission, nobody believed that Sakurai would just add clone characters that could easily be costumes.

I digress, these three instances correlate with Banjo immaculately. The group mentality was incorrect in its presumptions. The only difference this time around is that we have no statements from Sakurai to support my conclusion. This situation is much more similar to the Robin situation. People were set in their beliefs that Chrom was inevitable given the accurate precedent of the Gematsu leak. However, I decided to put myself in a developer's shoes. It was then that I realized that Robin had a lot more interesting aspects about her character that Sakurai could capitalize on (such as gender-swap costumes). But to be fair, I did heavily rely on the Tiki hint which in hind-sight was more or less a coincidence. Regardless, Robin ultimately represents forgoing the common belief and thinking for one's self. Just because we believe it is likely or not likely, does not make it so. This is a message that if you believe we are going to get the obvious choices, you might be in for a surprise. Yet again.

Banjo and Kazooie are disregarded merely because they are owned by a competitor. I believe this is somewhat counter-intuitive as any and every third-party character advertises the competition. Sometimes to a greater extent than others, I will admit. And therein lies the belief that Nintendo would not be willing to work with Microsoft. Microsoft is arguably the biggest in terms of console gaming. I believe that this might not be as much of an issue as Nintendo has been slowly, but surely transitioning to the handheld and mobile markets. They are not nearly as reliant on the console market as they once were, so cooperating with Microsoft is not nearly as detrimental as it may have been five years ago. In fact, this hypothetical cooperation would be to their benefit given the lackluster performance of the Wii U.

Secondly, Banjo and Kazooie do not represent Microsoft to the general public in the same vein that Master Chief would. Banjo and Kazooie are most well-known for pioneering/perfecting the 3D Platforming genre that was extremely popular during the Nintendo 64 era. So when most reference "advertising" the competition, I assume that more or less means that they could potentially market Banjo and Kazooie as franchise. However, this is false. The series has been dormant for close to a decade at this point. Nuts and Bolts was Microsoft's one and only attempt to continue the franchise. Of course they resold the Nintendo 64 gems in Rare-Replay, but it would be quite the stretch to assert that Banjo's inclusion in Smash would advertise that game when it is a collection as opposed to an overt Banjo and Kazooie re-release. Microsoft did not announce anything related to Banjo and Kazooie particularly during E3 despite Yooka-Laylee and the potential for competition. That leads me to believe that Microsoft is more or less confused about how to handle the IP and therefore they intend to sit on it. However, in the event that Nintendo DID use Banjo, they would most certainly WANT it to succeed as, again, their collaboration would be mutually beneficial.

This brings us to the only real reason people consider Banjo for Smash in the first place. Phil Spencer extended an invitation to Nintendo. If Sakurai met with companies such as Wayforward or Yacht Club Games, I have literally no doubt that they met with Microsoft and if their terms were amiable, there is no reason that Nintendo would disregard the most requested third-party candidate. His competition amounts to Rayman, which I still find hard picturing as an Amiibo and he already had the chance to become playable but Sakurai passed for one reason or another. Snake, which, given Kojima's relationship with Konami, I would be surprised to hear that he still wanted Snake in the game. Perhaps he does, I have not been following him. I can; however, assert that if I was Nintendo, I would not want to associate with Konami in the slightest. Bomberman, which I cannot speak to as I know nothing about him or his chances. And, last but not least, the ever-so prominent Shovel Knight and Shantae (together they would be an unstoppable force, but against each other, they are dwarfed). Banjo has Smash precedent and I believe that I can speak for everyone when I say that if he were still owned by Nintendo, people would classify him as one of the most important members of the roster.

Lastly, the circumstantial little tidbits that I have thought about. The Duck Hunt clause. As an artist, if I attempt to emulate art, it is because I respect something about that art and I want to replicate it. There is a striking resemblance to Banjo and Kazooie within Duck Hunt. And I believe that Sakurai, as the artist, would enjoy the opportunity to have the real thing rather than his attempt to reproduce what makes Banjo and Kazooie's relationship so interesting. Secondly, Sakurai has no stake in Nintendo versus Microsoft. His only obligation is to provide fan-service on the Smash ballot. And if Banjo turns out to be one of the top contenders, I have no doubt that he would be more than happy to consider the character. He will do what he wants to do, but if I had a character of Banjo and Kazooie's caliber sitting on my table, it would be hard to ignore. This is his last Smash after all. Nintendo working with Microsoft would open plenty of doors, way more than working with a company that they already associate with. Banjo is a credible gaming icon and he could represent Microsoft in the artificial way that Ryu represents Sony. It would demonstrate to everyone that they are here to stay, and that they are not stuck in their old ways. They recently fell out of that "100 most recognizable" list, they need to start adapting and being scared to communicate with a competitor does not bode well for your image. I also believe that Banjo would accumulate the most DLC sales and be the character that would potentially draw non-Nintendo consumers to Nintendo.

The best counter-argument I heard against Banjo and Kazooie was the distribution of Amiibo sales from our very own Jones. Otherwise, most people just immediately go for the "well he is owned by a competitor" argument that I do not believe they fully comprehend for many of the reasons listed above. That does not exclude Banjo and Kazooie. If they have enough demand, if Sakurai sees potential in their extremely telegraphed move-set, and if Nintendo is willing to stay true to their E3 desires to change and work with more third-party companies; they have a fairly decent shot. The only refutation I can offer for the Amiibo crux is that Microsoft is probably more interested in software sales than figurines, they would most likely let Nintendo do Nintendo when it came to Amiibos. But who knows?

Tl;dr: I believe that the notion of Banjo and Kazooie being owned by a competitor, therefore lowering their likelihood to Ice Climbers tier, like many past assumptions this community has adhered to, is fallible. This does not only apply to Banjo either, the generic "King K. Rool or Inklings, Wolf, and Shantae or Shovel Knight" predictions are more or less not going to be fulfilled either.

I also apologize for any typos, spelling, or grammatical errors. I was treating this as a free-write exercise to not only state my thoughts, but to have this post as proof that I believed that Banjo and Kazooie were the most likely third-party characters, by far.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, on the subject of "who did you / didn't you recognise?", here's an extra question:

How did you first realise Samus is a girl?

For me, it was the "Femme Fatale" (I think that'd what it was called?) event in Melee that tipped me off. If you don't remember, it's an event wherein you fight Peach, Zelda and Samus in Fountain of Dreams whilst tiny. My brother and I were confused as to why Samus was in the event, since Samus isn't...

...Is she?
My mom used to play Super Metroid when I was VERY young, which I always found to be a very creepy game. But what I always noticed is that when she'd died, Samus fell out of her suit and you can easily tell she's a girl. And Super Metroid is my first experience related to Metroid, so I've known Samus is female for as long as I can remember. Probably when my mom first start playing Super Metroid I didn't know, but I don't quite remember that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm.. I'm just gonna vent something. Feel free to skip it but I wanna just get this out.

When Smash 64 and Melee came out, I was too young to have any real sense of Speculation. However, I started tracking Brawl as soon as it came up in a GameInformer magazine... I want to say around 2006 and from there by the site itself, independant of Smashboards obviously.

Across the ride of Brawl, I had a general idea of a top 10 list for characters.

1) :warioc:
2) :dedede:
3) Gardevoir
4) :olimar:
5) :metaknight:
6) :lucario:
7) :ike:
8) :4bowserjr:
9) Waluigi
10) Geno (I know, I know...)

And damn did it feel great to get those vindications and FRIGGIN :sonic: as a reveal shortly before the game came out.

This time, however...

Main Game
1) Ashley
2) Waluigi
3) Bandana Dee
4) Sceptile
5) Anna
6) :4palutena: (and god that base special moveset...)
7) Donbe & Hikari
8) :4shulk: (once I found how who he was)
9) Ganon
10) Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)

And... it became a bit crushing. The biggest spike of hype was, frankly, the announcement back with :4megaman:.

And as we've shifted into post, so this is basically DLC/Smash 5

1) Waluigi
2) Ganon
3) Bandana Dee
4) Anna
5) Black Mage
6) Ashley
7) Inklings
8) Shantae
9) Donbe & Hikari
10) Jack Frost

And... simply said, a few of them are pure pipedreams even if we get a sequel 5 years from now.

As the last Smash game I may be able to properly follow and have time to delve into, this was not the hoorah of hype that I felt across Brawl's announcements.

I'll be quiet about it, just... yeah.
I feel that. I'll spoiler mine too since any negativity tends to be blown out of proportion when it comes to newcomers

For Brawl my most wanted list was pretty much:
  1. Toad
  2. Meowth
  3. Wario
  4. Diddy Kong
  5. Sonic
I knew Toad wasn't getting in before Wario, but 3/5 my most wanted made that cut and Pokemon Trainer caused as much hype as Meowth's reveal would of(mostly Squirtle if I'm honest)

Fast forward to Smash 4 and it was
  1. Toad
  2. Meowth
  3. Goroh(got into F-Zero GX for a bit there)
  4. Duck Hunt Dog
  5. Pac-Man
  6. Dixie Kong
  7. Bandana Dee(got into Kirby between Brawl and now)
  8. Rayman
  9. Bomberman
Pac-Man was pretty much guaranteed I felt, but neither Toad nor Dixie, big Nintendo names I figured would have a good chance this time round made the cut. Rayman's trophy was a tease, and ironically the only other character that made the leap to playable was Duck Hunt Dog(alongside the duck and the hunter) who was the character I figured was the most unlikely.

Prior to Pac-Man's reveal I'd never been less hyped for any Smash newcomers. Sure there was some I was semi excited about; Villager and Mac, but no one I'd actually desired to see appear was appearing.
Rosie seemed to kill off the chance of any new Mario character, Greninja wasn't a Pokemon I was into and my top three retained their NPC roles from previous Smashes to my dismay.

I guess as more Smashes come along the more damning it feels when characters we as Nintendo fans consider big names(K. Rool, Dixie, Toad, Isaac, Ridley, etc) continue to be left out. Not that anyone's a shoo-in but it still doesn't stop it being disappointing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The results are finally here:, tag me so I can hear your thoughts!
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/
Waluigi being where he is is no surprise because who doesn't love Waaaaaa?

Though I'm still pretty shocked that Takamaru is more or less doing better than any other Assist Trophy in the poll. I still say people are in the mindset that he would be reconsidered in the future or is it just because of the fact that was briefly considered for this game.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well Ridley's still in the top 25 at least

Also holy cow 279 - Savvy Stylist from Stylle Savvy, I love that people are voting for her, I HELPED That happen

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
@BluePikmin11
You said to tag you about the poll and here's my opinion on he top five:

NO.

Seriously though, that's of course my opinion. I'm surprised with the outcome really, but my personal taste is different from many. Especially that top 5. *cringes*

Good job with the poll though!

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
So, on the subject of "who did you / didn't you recognise?", here's an extra question:

For me, it was the "Femme Fatale" (I think that'd what it was called?) event in Melee that tipped me off. If you don't remember, it's an event wherein you fight Peach, Zelda and Samus in Fountain of Dreams whilst tiny. My brother and I were confused as to why Samus was in the event, since Samus isn't...

...Is she?
I found out from this.

It only just occured to me Bandana Dee is 17th and the 2nd largest amount of 1s in the top 20

yowch
( he is top 10 in 5 though from the looks of it)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If no one minds...
Smash 64 was LITERALLY the first video game I EVER played, and would be the start of my descent into Nintendo madness, so here goes...

Smash 64:
:mario64::luigi64: - I was HEAVILY aware of these guys beforehand. Seriously, who the shroob DIDN'T know who these guys were? Also, my cousin gave me his old NES and it contained Super Mario Bros., SMB2, SMB3, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Contra, and Duck Hunt.
:dk64::yoshi64: - Again, greatly aware of these two.
:kirby64: - Watched the anime on the FoxBox almost religiously since the beginning. That, combined with seeing him in Smash, a FIGHTING game, hyped me up SO much more than was needed, and because of this, I can safely say, Kirby was the very first Smash character I ever played as at my cousins' house, who had the game. At first, the ONLY reason I ever cared for Smash because Kirby was playable in it. Yeah, I love him THAT much, and I was only 6 years old at the time, mind you.
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: - Watched the anime almost religiously on Kids' WB! since its start in 1999. Didn't hype me up as much as seeing Kirby, but I WAS legitimately shocked to see the two of them in the game alongside Kirby. A little surprised that popular PKMN like Mewtwo and Meowth weren't playable. I personally thought this would be their kind of game.
:samus64::link64::fox64: - Heard about their games in passing.
:falcon64::ness64: - :confused: Fun tidbit. My cousins unlocked Capt. Falocn before I played with them, but their N64 glitched up, and only left Jiggly still unlocked. They now had to re-unlock Capt. Falcon, and they never had unlocked Ness and Luigi as far as I knew.

I came across Melee in a Best Buy catalog, and instantly became my sole purpose of getting a Nintendo GameCube. Later on Kirby Air Ride and MK: DD would serve this purpose for me.

SSBM:
:peachmelee::bowsermelee: - See Mario and Luigi in Smash 64.
:drmario: - Had his first game on the NES, but I still went, "THE HECK???" when I came across his character page in the English version on the Melee website. Heck, I STILL went "NO, REALLY...THE HECK???" even when I unlocked him! Seriously, the guy was SO not on my expectations of being playable in Smash.
:zeldamelee: - "Oh, SHE'S Zelda..."
:sheikmelee: - "Wait, that's Princess Zelda...in...disguise...? W...why...? Is it to boost her fighting ability?
:ganondorfmelee: - ...Huh...? That is one OO-GLY....
:younglinkmelee: - YOUNG Link. Was preeeetty self-explanatory on what game he comes from.
:samusmelee: - Came across Metroid Prime. Surprisingly ,between the time I played this and got Melee for myself, I'd be in for one of the BIGGEST shockers of my childhood...
:falcomelee: - Thanks to Melee, I found out that he's from Fox's game.
:mewtwomelee::pichumelee: - See Pika and Jiggly's entry in Smash 64. Journey to Johto was airing on Kids WB! at the time, so that, along with the fact that he looked like a baby Pikachu, helped me in terms of figuring out Pichu.
:falconmelee::nessmelee: - A bit more aware of their backstories at this point, or at the very least, I knew the names of their games.
:icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee: - :confused:
:gawmelee: - THE FRAK???:crazy:

Brawl was in development late into my 2nd grade year, but I wouldn't be truly aware of the game's existence till late into my 3rd grade year.

SSBB:
:metaknight::dedede: - FINALLY! I've been waiting for SO long for this to happen! See Kirby in Smash 64 about the anime specifically.
:zerosuitsamus: - Whoa. So...I knew she was girl for a while, but to think...she looks like this..huh...:ohwell:
:wario::warioc: - Been aware of him for QUITE some time now, "Wait, did...did he just...let out an ATOMIC FART?:crazy: No freakin' way he's done that in a WARIOWARE/LAND game, let alone a Mario game".
:diddy: - Aware of him through the DKC trilogy being re-released on GBA.
:pt: - Thought Ash was the PKMN Trainer of the games as well. Wasn't until Red showed up in Brawl, that I realized Ash is exclusive to the anime.
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard: - See Pika and Jiggly in Smash 64.
:lucario: - Heard about him in passing. Was also aware of his movie which came out around the time, or at least a bit earlier...
:olimar: - Aware of his games at the time.
:sonic: - Who DIDN'T know who he was? Him being added to Brawl was the most hype thing I could ever see. He's the one thing that beat my hype over King Dedede being added, just barely.
:pit: - Literally, the ONLY reason I was EVER aware of his existence was his trophy in SSBM.
:lucas::ike::rob::snake:- :confused:

Smash 4 was announced late into my 8th grade year.

SSB4:
:4bowserjr: - Due to a goof-up by my parents, I got Super Mario Sunshine instead, though I did enjoy the game a bit more than I thought. Heck, if it wasn't for that game, I would have taken a LOT longer to be even remotely aware of Bowser Jr.'s existence. Of course, I'm glad now, as he went on to become my favorite video-game villain of all time.
:4larry:/:4morton:/:4wendy:/:4iggy:/:4roy:/:4lemmy:/:4ludwig: - I played Super Mario Bros. 3, which is my FAVORITE Mario game of all time. and I fell in love with these guys. Call me weird, but to this day, they, alongside Bowser Jr. are my favorite video-game villains of all time. Also, helps that if it weren't for them, I wouldn't be too big on B.J. in Smash 4. Don't get me wrong, I'd still main him, but he wouldn't interest me as much, despite the fact that I was an supporter for him and King Dedede pre-Brawl. Also, I just adore Larry Koopa.
:rosalina: - Was aware of her role in SMG at the time.
:4littlemac: - Aware of him just barely prior to Brawl, believe it or not.
:4villager:/:4villagerf: - I was long aware of Animal Crossing by the time they were announced.
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: - I was aware of the "Wii Fit" craze that occurred between 2007-2009.
:4megaman: - Who WASN'T aware of this guy's existence by now? Still, I was praying he'd be in Smash, all because I felt that him being added would do SOME justice for the way Capcom's been treating him in recent years.
:4pacman: - See Mega Man an Sonic in Brawl.
:4mii:/:4miif: - Trust me. If you had a Wii, you knew.
:4palutena: - Saw her in Pit's FS in Brawl and the SSE.
:4darkpit: - Kid Icarus: Uprising, which is one of my favorite 3DS games today.
:4duckhunt: - I had the game, and his laughing was a bit...irritating at times. Because I didn't have a GOSH-DANG ZAPPER!!! Still though, Smash 4 did him justice. I find him quite adorable now. I'm really hoping Nintendo gives him a "real" personality soon.
:4lucina::4robinm:/:4robinf::4shulk:- Just barely aware of all of them prior to Smash 4.
:4greninja: - If not for Smash 4, I wouldn't have been aware of his existence. Actually, to be more precise, I didn't know what he looked like until his reveal for Smash 4.
:4alph: - I was exposed to him during E3 2012, where they announced Pikmin 3.
:4ryu: - The founder of fighting games. Who wouldn't know the guy? Also, Marvel vs. Capcom/Street Fighter, and Street Fighter Alpha (3?) truly introduced me to him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

...Is she?
My first exposure to the Metroid series was the NES game. The boy next door had Metroid so I watched him play and sometimes I play. I thought Metroid had two playable characters... a man in a space suit and a girl with green hair whom I thought was a secret unlockable character that you must enter a password to play.

It wasn't until I read the Super Metroid comic in Nintendo Power that I realized the man in the space suit and the girl with green hair are the same person - a woman named Samus.

I supported suit-less Samus for SSB3 after playing Metroid: Zero Mission. :zerosuitsamus:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Characters in Smash I knew or didn't know them.
:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64::dk64:- Who doesn't know these guys? They came from my childhood games.
:link64::pikachu64::kirby64:- Heard something about them.
:samus64::jigglypuff64::ness64::falcon64::fox64:- Never knew them.
:zeldamelee:- Couldn't believe this was Zelda herself, all this time I thought Link was Zelda.
:sheikmelee:- No idea how she transformed like that.
:drmario::bowsermelee::peachmelee:- Same reason for Mario, Yoshi, Luigi and DK
:ganondorfmelee:- No idea but I thought he was the worst character in the game at the time.
:icsmelee:- I am one of the few who knew these guys before Melee.
:mewtwomelee::pichumelee:- I played Pokémon games when I played Melee and I watched the anime so I knew who these guys were.
:falcomelee:- My Melee main (I had no idea who this guy was)
:younglinkmelee:- Self Explanatory
:gawmelee::roymelee::marthmelee:- ????
:lucario::metaknight::dedede::pt::charizard::ivysaur::squirtle::toonlink::diddy:- I knew about these guys but not really any explanation :p
:pit:"Oh look it's the trophy guy from Melee".
:wario:- I played a lot of Mario Party so I knew who he was
:sonic:- I screamed like a little girl when he was revealed, I'm such a big fan (Even now) and well, who didn't know who he was?
:snake::ike::wolf::lucas::olimar::rob:- ?????
:zerosuitsamus:- "Oh cool! She looks like a fun character in this game." I knew how Samus looked like without the suit so..
:4megaman::4pacman:- Like, who doesn't know these guys, they're gaming legends.
:4littlemac:- "The assist trophy dude from brawl"
:4greninja:- Pokémon X and Y introduced me to this guy, Froakie was my starter :3
:4mii::4miif:- Owned a Wii so I obviously knew them.
:4lucina::4robinm:- I knew where these guys came from just by looking at their designs and frankly, I didn't care.
:rosalina:- Played SMG
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: :4bowserjr:- I played a lot of Mario games so I knew them.
:4wiifit:- "WHAT!? WHY!?"
:4ryu:I played SF4 so yeah.. I knew Ryu.
:4palutena:- Pit's final smash (Brawl)
:4darkpit:"umm.."
:4villager:"Cool, I guess"
:4shulk::4alph:- No idea.
:4duckhunt:- Same with Ice climbers

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What do you guys think of having all the characters from Pro Wrestling be one character? The default character would be Fighter Hayabusa and the rest would be acts. In the original game all of the characters were essentially pallet swaps of each other, so I think it works.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What do you guys think of having all the characters from Pro Wrestling be one character? The default character would be Fighter Hayabusa and the rest would be acts. In the original game all of the characters were essentially pallet swaps of each other, so I think it works.
No,

and that's the bottom line.

Cuz Stone Cold said so.

It's actually kinda neat idea,but generic wrestler from nes doesn't top my list

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well Ridley's still in the top 25 at least

Also holy cow 279 - Savvy Stylist from Stylle Savvy, I love that people are voting for her, I HELPED That happen

Being able to see Ridley STILL on the top 25 is pretty great. Shows that he is still WANTED after all that has happened with him, and I approve that.

:bowser:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still think there should've been multiple ways they were listed. One should've showed the averages and the other based on total want (all 4's and 5's). And maybe most hated, too (2's and 1's).

Troykv

Smash Master

:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64::dk64:: Mario Characters... If you're a Nintendo Fan you must know them.
:kirby64:: Fan of the series since I was a child
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:: Pokémon is a big deal
:samus64::link64::fox64:: Barely know about the series.
:falcon64::ness64:: No idea

Melee

:drmario::bowsermelee::peachmelee:: Mario Characters
:younglinkmelee:: Well... he must be the Link-OoT Child Version.
:sheikmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee:: I know a little bit about OoT
:mewtwomelee::pichumelee:: Pokémon is still a big deal.
:falcomelee:: I know because Star Fox 64
:icsmelee:: I remember this old game, I played when I was a child.
:marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee:: No idea

Brawl

:wario::More Mario Characters!
:diddy:: I remember the Donkey Kong Country for some reason
:metaknight::dedede:: I'm a old fan of the series, and I love see them in the game :3
:ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::lucario:: Pokémon is still a big deal.
:toonlink:: Is like Young Link... But with another style.
:zerosuitsamus:: Eh... This was the first time that I see Samus as a girl..
:sonic:: IT'S FREAKING SONIC
:wolf:: *Applies Falco here*
:ike:: Barely know about Fire Emblem (I begin to be and actual fan after Brawl's Release)
:olimar::rob::pit::snake::lucas::Eh? Who?

Smash 4

:4bowserjr::rosalina:: Mario Characters :p
:4littlemac:: I know the NES Game, and played the Wii Game
:4greninja:: Pokémon is... Hey wait...
:4palutena::4darkpit:: Kid Icarus Uprising was a popular game.
:4villager::4wiifit:: I hear about these games.
:4mii:: MII ARE EVERYWHERE!
:4robinm::4lucina:: Since like 2009/2010 I'm a Fire Emblem Fan, and I know these characters very well.
:4shulk:: Literally... I know about him because Smash Speculation xD
:4pacman:: The most succesful Arcade and a Culture Pop Icon like Mario? Is impossible don't know him xD
:4megaman:: MEGAMAN! THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!
:4ryu:: I know Street Fighter before, actually, I own SSFIV:3D

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So funny story, Melee was the first console game I ever owned, and so I knew about a good deal of the characters in the game, but not all of them. The funny thing was... I didn't know who Luigi was. Yeah, that's right, by the time Melee came out, I had never heard of Luigi. After I unlocked him, I actually had to ask my dad who Luigi was, and he was the one who told me he was Mario's brother. It's really funny to think about today because I'm a huge Luigi fan and video game fan in general and my dad is nowhere NEAR knowledgeable on video games. It's somewhat embarrassing for me to admit today that I knew Jigglypuff but not Luigi...

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Seeing all these reactions on people's video game character knowledge makes me realize who young a lot of you are/how old I've gotten.....

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64::dk64:: As a long time Mario fan, I already knew these characters.
:kirby64:: Heard of him before Smash Bros. but didn't play his games yet.
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:: I only watched the Pokémon anime series (which was booming at that time).
:samus64:: Played Metroid II on the Gameboy and Super Metroid on the SNES.
:link64:: Played the NES Zelda games and Ocarina of Time.
:fox64:: Watched my brother play the first Star Fox while I would later play Star Fox 64.
:falcon64:: Played the first F-Zero on the SNES and F-Zero X on the N64.
:ness64:: Knew nothing about him prior to Smash Bros.

Melee

:drmario:: Heard about Dr. Mario but was never interested in playing the game.
:bowsermelee:: See Mario.
:peachmelee:: See Mario.
:younglinkmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee:: : Played Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
:mewtwomelee::pichumelee:: Seen the Pokémon anime (though I admit, I wasn't familiar with Pichu).
:falcomelee:: See Fox.
:icsmelee:: Though I didn't play the Ice Climbers game at this point, I did read about it in the Official Nintendo Player's Guide. I would eventually play it in Animal Crossing.
:marthmelee::roymelee:: Knew nothing about them (though I have seen the name "Fire Emblem" briefly in an ADV films trailer).
:gawmelee:: Played Game & Watch Gallery 3 on the Gameboy Color.

Brawl

:wario:: Another Mario character. I've also played Wario Land on Gameboy.
:diddy:: Played Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. I've only beaten 1 though.
:metaknight::dedede:: See Kirby.
:ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::lucario:: Pokémon anime (though I may have stopped watching when Lucario came around).
:toonlink:: Played the demo of Wind Waker but that's it.
:zerosuitsamus:: Though I have played said Metroid games, I've never played any of them with Samus in her Zero Suit.
:sonic:: I was around during the Nintendo vs. Sega console war so of course I knew who he was. I even played some of his games long before Brawl. He was also my most wanted 3rd party character for the series after Snake was revealed.
:wolf:: Played Star Fox 64.
:ike:: Just seen him in stuff like commercials and magazines but never played his game (or any FE game).
:olimar:: Heard of Pikmin around the same time Melee was coming out but never played the games.
:rob:: Heard the name referenced so many times (including in Star Fox) but never knew he was an actual device.
:pit:: Read about the first Kid Icarus game in the Official Nintendo Player's Guide prior to his trophy appearance in Melee.
:snake:: Played the Metal Gear Solid demo on the PlayStation. Always wanted to play the full games but never did. Shocked to see him in a Smash Bros. game but can't say I'm interested in seeing him come back.
:lucas:: No idea.

Smash 4

:4bowserjr::rosalina:: Mario Characters again. I've also played the first Super Mario Galaxy.
:4littlemac:: Big fan of Punch-Out!! since the NES game. He was also my most wanted 1st party character for this series every since Melee.
:4greninja:: I stopped watching Pokémon by this point so I didn't really know who he was.
:4palutena::4darkpit:: Never played Kid Icarus Uprising.
:4villager:: Played Animal Crossing on GameCube.
:4wiifit:: I hear about these games but never played them.
:4mii:: Any Wii, Wii U, or 3DS owner know who these are.
:4robinm::4lucina:: Never played Fire Emblem.
:4shulk:: Heard about Xenoblade Chronicles but never played it. I have played Xenogears, though.
:4pacman:: As with Mario and Sonic, every gamer should know who Pac-Man is. Played the first game a lot and also played Pac-Man World. He also became my most wanted 3rd party character after Mega Man was confirmed.
:4megaman:: Grew up playing Mega Man on the NES, X1 and 2 on the SNES, and Legends on PS1. He became my next most wanted 3rd party character after Sonic made it in Brawl.
:4ryu:: Been a Street Fighter fan every since the SNES days and has played almost every game in the series. However, unlike the case with Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, Ryu is one 3rd party character I DIDN'T want to see in a Smash Bros. game.

Last edited:

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
I keep seeing comments like Banjo and Kazooie for smash and correct me if im wrong but, im pretty sure nintendo doesnt FULLY own banjo and kazooie :/

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I keep seeing comments like Banjo and Kazooie for smash and correct me if im wrong but, im pretty sure nintendo doesnt FULLY own banjo and kazooie :/
Nintendo doesn't own ANY of the Banjo-Kazooie IP. That's irrelevant though. What is relevant is that the head of XBOX (whom are the owners) has stated he sees no problem in getting B&K in Sm4sh. And besides all that, who cares? It's not like we don't see billions of votes going to characters like Shrek and Goku. At least Banjo & Kazooie are game characters and have quite the history with Nintendo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They don't fully own Banjo & Kazooie, Microsoft does.
Which is arguably the only obstacle to their inclusion...but it's a large one.
...Or so we think. That could be way off.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still think its a huge obstacle, but I'm warming up to the slim possibility of Sakurai and Nintendo considering it. Only a slim one, though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All characters use at least 8 swaps... we only have 7... maybe the referee can be the 8th swap. :troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
They don't fully own Banjo & Kazooie, Microsoft does.
Which is arguably the only obstacle to their inclusion...but it's a large one.
...Or so we think. That could be way off.
Also peaking in the N64 with a GBA game nobody talks about, a GBA racing spin-off that was a reskinned Diddy Kong game... which nobody talks about, and the infamous Microsoft sequel which people claim killed the IP, because there's only been rumors of them getting a game since.
7 Years without knowledge of another game puts them pretty much at a Crash Bandicoot level of situation, just one that was at the prime at the N64.
Sakurai made a stance on the issue of "No Future" with characters (not chosen specifically as "Retro"). Fans of K. Rool and Isaac stake that the raw demand of fans for them to return/get a sequel for a first party game will argue that demand will tip that scale. I don't think the same could happen for B&K.

Edit: Not saying it's impossible for them, of course. Just that the fact that they're owned by Microsoft isn't their only obstacle.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd LOVE to see this happen! I would hope Fighter Hayabusa would be the default character, and then you could cycle through the others. With all of them being together, do you think they'd go the "Bowser Jr. and Koopalings" route? (Calling Fighter Hayabusa by his own name, and the names of the others would show up when you switch over to them? Or give them a collective name?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'll play.

-64, six years old-

:mario64::luigi64: - Mario and Luigi from the game where you rode magic carpets, pulled up turnips, and fought Masked dwarves.
I'd played SMs 1 and 2 before then. :laugh:

:kirby64: - KIRBY!!! :awesome: I loved the cartoon and games.

:fox64: - Fox from SF64. I could never beat that game, but my cousin rocked at it. I liked Falco more, and wished he was also in.

:dk64: - Donkey Kong from DKC. Thought he was hilarious.

:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: - Pikachu and Kirby's Girlfriend.

:link64::samus64::ness64::falcon64::yoshi64: - Who? I liked Cap. And Ness, my brother liked Link, wanted to play his games.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'll play your game

:mario64::luigi64::dk64::yoshi64:: I knew my Mario characters. Thank you Mario Kart and Super Mario Deluxe
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:: I grew up with Pokemon so this was a given
:falcon64::Yep, I knew a lot about F-Zero. I had F-Zero X for the N64. In you face plebs.
:kirby64::played Kirby Super Star on a SNES emulator
:link64::samus64::fox64::ness64::I had no idea

:bowsermelee::peachmelee::drmario::Easily recognizable. Played Dr. Mario on my Game Boy
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::Only familiar with Zelda for some odd reason.
:icsmelee::I actually played Ice Climbers before I touched Melee back in 2004.
:mewtwomelee:: "Mewtwo's in Melee. This is awesome"
:pichumelee:: "Why?"
:gawmelee::played the Game Watch Gallery games
:falcomelee::No idea. But I thought he was a Badass
:marthmelee:: "Is he a Zelda character? Who is this guy?"
:roymelee:: "Is he Marth's little brother? HOLY CRAP HIS NETRUAL SPECIAL IS AWESOME"

ErenJager

Smash Champion
:mario64: - Played Super Mario Bros./2/3 NES, Super Mario Land GB, Super Mario world SNES
:dk64: - Played Donkey Kong, DK Jr., DK3 NES, DKC1-3 SNES
:kirby64: - Played Kirby for 64
:fox64: - Played Starfox64
:pikachu64: - Played R/B/Y for gameboy. Stadium/snap/etc.
:luigi64: - Played Super Mario Bros/2/3
:falcon64: - Smash64
:ness64: - Smash64
:jigglypuff64: - See pikachu
:yoshi64: - Played Super Mario World SNES, Yoshi's story 64
:samus64: - Smash 64
:link64: - Played The Legend of Zelda NES, and 64 games.

:linkmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee: - Played LoZ games on 64
:falcomelee: - played star fox 64
:marthmelee::roymelee: - Melee
:drmario: - played dr. mario nes, and gameboy
:bowsermelee::peachmelee:- see mario
:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: - see pikachu also played G/S/C pokemon stadium 2, watched anime saw the first 2 pokemon movies in theaters.
:gawmelee: - played Game & Watch collection for Game Boy.
:icsmelee: - Melee

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/chibi-robo-amiibo-chibi-robo-series

Is this a screw-up or are we on the verge of another "Wario eShop leak" again?

I really want to think that it's a screwup because the surprise would be ruined otherwise(I'm neutral to Chibi-Robo, in case you think I hate him).
It is most likely a screw up:
1. The 3DS version is not listed
2. Dr. Mario had Splatoon on his page for a while, speaking of which...
3. All variations of Mario, Yoshi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Samus are not listed on the MK8 page (though each individual page lists them as compatable)

EDIT: 4. No amiibo tap or Woolly World(?)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
CR's been removed from the compatibility section for Smash.

False alarm. Better safe than sorry, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom