• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I understand the feeling. Again though, I would take that opportunity to try and experience something new. I too am a fan of Isaac, and it really isn't Splatoon's fault for being successful.

Blaming something else is only negative. When it comes down to it with Smash, one character doesn't really take another spot. The characters are either planned or aren't. This is coming from a guy who wants Isaac, K.Rool, Snake, Inklings, and a ton of other cool characters. But that's something that we can't really blame on another character. Plus, it really isn't worth getting too upset about something that, ultimately, we cannot control.

Sorry to get all deep and philosophical. I'm just trying to create a sort of understanding. I'll try not to be so preachy haha.
Like I said, I'm not upset, just disheartened. And I don't disagree with looking into new characters, but they di take the spot of another character by "being planned" which means the characters I care about don't get planned. I'vr had my main and secondary scrapped from two different games, so I know how it feels, and I can enjoy that other people get to enjpy their characters, but I just want one game that doesn't take something I enjoy a way, and not get anything in return. Call it selfish, but I feel like I'm entitled to be a little selfish at this point haha

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I'd be up for some Solid Snake in the game to be back.

BUT...

Would it be possible that instead of SOLID, we'll get Big Boss or something as the most recent incarnation/Nintendo entry in the game? (As in, the one of that 3DS game of MGS?)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'd be up for some Solid Snake in the game to be back.

BUT...

Would it be possible that instead of SOLID, we'll get Big Boss or something as the most recent incarnation/Nintendo entry in the game? (As in, the one of that 3DS game of MGS?)
I have often thought about this too. If that's the case, would it still be considered as 'Snake' in name and play style, or just a newcomer inheriting the name of Snake? It's an interesting question. At the moment, I think Big Boss (Naked Snake, and the original Snake, assuming I'm correct on my Metal Gear canon) is the current one and the main protagonist of The Phantom Pain, so... Regardless, V will come to Smash one day...

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Big Boss/Naked Snake could be the most recent addition to being a rep while still being the same character (sort of). I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game, and could bring some serious hype as Phantom Pain is taking so much focus right now.

Burruni

Smash Hero
DLC has to go by the standard of the game itself.

Getting Snake from M to T included some noticable "trimming" but I don't really know what would be needed to cram his T self into the E-10 rating.

(And of the 3 major rating systems, the NA is the most tight. E-10, PEGI 12 and Cero 13)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd be more inclined to believe you if Ryu had this alt:

View attachment 77051

As it stands, I think the game can just about handle it.
Seriously, it looks during the intervening years between SF3 and SF5, Ryu met Chuck Norris and trained under him. Heck, forget training under him. Ryu simply had to LOOK at Chuck Norris, and from there, Chuck simply said," I have taught you all that you need to know, my student. Now go, continue growing your beard, kicking *** and take names.

Wouldn't it be just BEAUTIFUL if life worked this way?:p

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know... I'm just gonna kinda go over who I knew (and why) when each Smash game came out, maybe spark out an interesting little thing to fill up time while we wait.

:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64::dk64:: Those guys from Mario Party & tennis!
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:: Huge fan of the show, owned R/B/Y, Snap and Stadium at that time.
:link64:: I owned Ocarina of Time but got stuck in Great Deku Tree because I didn't know how to slingshot. I was young.
:kirby64:: Kirby 64!
:fox64::samus64::ness64::falcon64:: Who? (Those days when I thought Samus was a robot)

Melee
:peachmelee::bowsermelee:: I had played Sunshine at this point... but namely Mario Spin-offs.
:drmario:: Thought he was a joke brought in for Melee before finding out my mother was huge into his game.
:younglinkmelee:: See :link64:
:zeldamelee::sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee:: Were technically new to me still.
:pichumelee::mewtwomelee:: I hadn't stopped being devoted to Pokemon.
:falcomelee::gawmelee::icsmelee:: ...Who?
:marthmelee::roymelee:: Who state-side actually knew these guys? Especially Roy.

Brawl
:warioc:: Mario stuff, Wario Land 4, Smooth Moves
:diddy:: Only DK game I owned yet was Jungle Beat. Recognized him moreso from Mario stuff...
:toonlink:: Wind Waker, Minish Cap, FSA, Spirit Tracks....
:dedede::metaknight:: Kirby 64/Amazing Mirror/Squeak Squad. Also the show.
:zerosuitsamus:: Zero Mission, Fusion, Primes 1 & 2... I was better versed in Metroid.
:olimar:: I /rented/ Pikmin 1 and owned 2.
:pt::lucario:: Need I even say at this point?
:ike:: Path of Radiance, one of my last GC purchases.
:wolf:: Still had yet to play a SF game but recognized what series he belonged to instantly.
:sonic:: I own a Dreamcast. Probably the hypest character revealed for me still.
:snake:: MGS1 from my father, and Mesal Gear Solid from Ape Escape 3.
:pit::rob::lucas:: Who?

Smash 4
:4villager:: Played GC and Wild World, didn't really fall for the series. Friends did, though.
:4megaman:: Admittedly, knew Volnutt and .Exe before classic because I didn't play a core game til the GC collection. Second hypest reveal.
:4wiifit:: I mean... it's in the name.
:4littlemac:: Wii title. Also Brawl.
:rosalina:: Galaxy 1/2, MK Wii & 8
:4greninja:: Yep.
:4palutena::4darkpit:: Uprising was one of few stellar games on the 3DS when I got it.
:4robinm::4lucina:: Uprising's situation.
:4mii::4miif:: Hard to currently own a Nintendo system and not know them.
:4pacman:: Who DIDN'T know him?
:4shulk:: Learned about due to Gematsu, but had played his game to full before his reveal.
:4duckhunt:: I mean... my friend owned a zapper, but he's infamous on his own matter.
:4bowserjr:: Sunshine, and a lotta mario stuff after.
:4ryu:: SF2 at a roller derby when I was young. When I discovered I was not fit for fighting games.

And for the biggest hopes for DLC Newcomers
K. Rool/Dixie: I've gone back to play DKC 1-3 and 64 (though Dixie I saw first in Super Mario Baseball)
Isaac: Played 1 when I was younger, didn't beat 2. Finished it and beat Dark Dawn recently.
Inklings: Krak-on Roller is life.
Paper Mario: I've sadly played all 4 games to completion.
Bandana Dee: RtD & TD
Krystal: I've gone back to play Assault (& 64).

And, while I don't believe in hopes for 3rd Party/Indie
Rayman: 2, 3, Origins, Legends.
Banjo-Kazooie: 1 & 2, CARRRSSSSSSS
Butt-Butt: I played this game.
Shantae: Have all 3 beaten.
Layton: Haven't played, no real interest.

Last edited:
Y'know... I'm just gonna kinda go over who I knew (and why) when each Smash game came out, maybe spark out an interesting little thing to fill up time while we wait.

:pikachu64::jigglypuff64:: Huge fan of the show, owned R/B/Y, Snap and Stadium at that time.
:link64:: I owned Ocarina of Time but got stuck in Great Deku Tree because I didn't know how to slingshot. I was young.
:fox64::samus64::ness64::falcon64:: Who? (Those days when I thought Samus was a robot)

Melee
:peachmelee::bowsermelee:: I had played Sunshine at this point... but namely Mario Spin-offs.
:drmario:: Thought he was a joke brought in for Melee before finding out my mother was huge into his game.
:marthmelee::roymelee:: Who state-side actually knew these guys? Especially Roy.

Brawl
:diddy:: Only DK game I owned yet was Jungle Beat. Recognized him moreso from Mario stuff...
:zerosuitsamus:: Zero Mission, Fusion, Primes 1 & 2... I was better versed in Metroid.
:wolf:: Still had yet to play a SF game but recognized what series he belonged to instantly.
:sonic:: I own a Dreamcast. Probably the hypest character revealed for me still.

Smash 4
:4villager:: Played GC and Wild World, didn't really fall for the series. Friends did, though.
:4megaman:: Admittedly, knew Volnutt and .Exe before classic because I didn't play a core game til the GC collection. Second hypest reveal.
:4palutena::4darkpit:: Uprising was one of few stellar games on the 3DS when I got it.
:4shulk:: Learned about due to Gematsu, but had played his game to full before his reveal.
:4duckhunt:: I mean... my friend owned a zapper, but he's infamous on his own matter.
:4ryu:: SF2 at a roller derby when I was young. When I discovered I was not fit for fighting games.

K. Rool/Dixie: I've gone back to play DKC 1-3 and 64 (though Dixie I saw first in Super Mario Baseball)
Isaac: Played 1 when I was younger, didn't beat 2. Finished it and beat Dark Dawn recently.

Melee
:mariomelee::pikachumelee::Oh hey those 2 nintendo characters
everyone else: who?

. . . I did not grow up with nintendo to say the least

by brawl I knew everyone but Pit. except when a friend told me about ROB i though they meant this guy

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Interesting concept. I want in~ :3

Bear in mind I started with Melee, so we'll go from there.

:mariomelee: :luigimelee: :bowsermelee: :peachmelee: Super Mario 64, Mario Party, Mario Kart - if Mario was in it, I played it
:drmario: I recognised him from the puzzle game, but I never played it myself
:yoshimelee: Mario spin-offs
:dkmelee: Mario spin-offs mainly, but c'mon...he's freaking DK!
:linkmelee: I'd played Oracle of Ages
:pikachumelee: :jigglypuffmelee: :mewtwomelee: :pichumelee:
Played Blue and watched the anime with my brother, who played Red and Gold
:kirbymelee:
I loved the Kirby series as a kid, he was my first ever Smash main!
:foxmelee: :falcomelee: Lylat Wars / Star Fox 64 was a big part of my childhood
:younglinkmelee: :zeldamelee: :sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :falconmelee: :nessmelee: :samusmelee: :marthmelee: :roymelee: :icsmelee: :gawmelee: Didn't know

:wario: :warioc: Wario Land defined my childhood, he was my most-wanted character in Brawl
:sonic:
Defined my childhood even more and turned out to be the most-wanted character I didn't even expect
:diddy: I knew of him from magazines and the GBA port of DKC2
:toonlink: Wind Waker was and still is my favourite Zelda
:pt: :squirtle: :ivysaur: :charizard: :lucario: See Pokémon in Melee
:dedede: :metaknight:
See Kirby in Melee
:wolf: Big Star Fox fan, but I didn't play Command so I only knew of this design from magazines
:zerosuitsamus: Played and loved Zero Mission
:olimar: Played Pikmin 1 and 2
:ike:
My brother was a big Fire Emblem fan, even before I played the games
:rob: I knew him from magazines and Mario Kart DS
:pit:
I knew of him from magazines, but never played Kid Icarus
:snake: My mother is a big MGS fan, my brother and I watched her play MGS2 on the Xbox years before Brawl
:lucas: The only Brawl character I didn't recognise

:rosalina: :4bowserjr: Still a big Mario fan, played most of the newer games
:4larry: :4roy: :4wendy: :4iggy: :4morton: :4lemmy: :4ludwig: I'd played Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World many times
:4greninja: My brother got into Y about a year before Smash 4 was released
:4villager: :4villagerf: I'd played most of the Animal Crossing games
:4palutena: :4darkpit: Kid Icarus: Uprising is my all-time favourite game
:4robinm: :4robinf: :4lucina: Awakening was my favourite Fire Emblem game at the time
:4duckhunt: I'd never played Duck Hunt, but I was very familiar with the dog's infamy in pop culture
:4wiifit: :4wiifitm: I remember the Wii Fit craze, even if I never played it
:4littlemac: Big Punch-Out!! fan, played every game from the NES to the Wii
:4mii: :4miif: I have a Wii, 'nuff said
:4megaman: I loved Mega Man and its spin-offs as a kid
:4pacman: How can you not know this guy?
:4ryu: Big Street Fighter fan
:4shulk: The only Smash 4 character I didn't know, I was familiar with him only because of Smash 4 speculation

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I mean toned down. It was originally more realistic but was made kind of futuristic later on. The image on the DOJO is what it is in the game. You can find the old one in albums since it was on the website for a while.
The final design for Snake's mine in Brawl is based off its sprite in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (at least the re-released version). Seems like this could have been a deliberate change in design to reflect its appearance in game rather than censorship.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Well, I wasn't even alive when SSB64 came out, and I was a baby during Melee's release, so I'm starting with Brawl.

:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2: How could anybody not know these faces?
:dk2::warioc::yoshi2: Popular Mario spin-off characters.
:kirby2::dedede::metaknight: I knew these guys from the anime, and the series gameplay that I saw.
:pikachu2::jigglypuff::squirtle::charizard: :pt: Pikachu, Squirtle, and Charizard are popular, and Jigglypuff used to be my favorite Pokemon.
:sonic:He's too recognizable.
:snake::popo::diddy::olimar::marth::ike::rob::fox::falco::wolf::link2::toonlink::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::falcon::ness2::lucas::samus2::zerosuitsamus::lucario::ivysaur::pit::gw:Who are these guys?

And Sm4sh.

:4megaman:He's a popular character.
:4pacman:Pretty much everybody's played Pac-Man.
:4ryu:I knew him very vaguely before the game was released, as Street Fighter is popular.
:4darkpit:I knew him vaguely from people talking about him.
:4bowserjr:A somewhat popular Mario character.
:4wiifit:I knew about her because of her series.
:rosalina:She's not as popular as the other Mario guys, so I didn't hear of her.
:4greninja:He was announced before he was in a game, so I had no way of knowing.
:4palutena:I had no idea. When I first saw her, I thought she was some sort of sheep Pokemon.
:4robinm::4lucina:I didn't know about Awakening, only the Fire Emblem series.
:4villager::4shulk::4duckhunt: Didn't know them either.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:Nobody knew them, they're Smash originals.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I didn't enjoy Super's late game and Sticker Star is something I beat to have it checked off more than any tie into it.
Understandable! I was just messin' with ya.

Paper Mario 4 Smash plz.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Melee

Brawl

Smash 4

Let's see... the characters whom I knew before playing the game?...

Smash 64:
:mario64::luigi64::yoshi64: - Those guys and the dino from Super Mario World!
:pikachu64::jigglypuff64: - From the Pokémon anime.

Melee:
:peachmelee::bowsermelee: - Oh hey, the princess and dragon are in too!
:drmario: - Dr. Mario? What's he doing here?
:pichumelee::mewtwomelee: - From the anime (again)
:icsmelee: - Oh hey, I remember that old (hard as hell) NES game.

Brawl
:wario: - The evil Mario from the Party games and WarioWare.
:pt::lucario: - Repeat.
:sonic: - I remember him from the 90s/early 2000s. Never owned a Sonic game though.

It was after Brawl that I actually focused on expanding my Nintendo knowledge. By the time E3 2013 rolled around, I didn't have to look up characters any more. No character in Smash 4 made me go "Who?" except WFT.

:231:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
:4ryu:: I was somewhat young, but I remember seeing him in a Marvel VS. Capcom 2 arcade machine. I'm not sure if I recognized him but he was wearing a gi, so according to my young logic, he was REALLY strong.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I played Smash Bros 64 first, but I hardly have any memories due to being so young. So I'll start with Melee.
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::drmario::dkmelee::yoshimelee: - "Mario characters! Easy!"
:linkmelee::zeldamelee: - "Oh, his name is Link and not Zelda? And Zelda is the princess... Oh..."
:foxmelee::falcomelee: - "Star Fox! Love Star Fox!"
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee: - "Pokemon! Yeah!"
:sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::roymelee: - "Uhh..."

I was still pretty young when Brawl came out. I think I was wrapping up fifth grade when it came out.
:wario: - "Wario! I remember him from Mario Party!"
:toonlink: - "Toon Link? I think I heard of a cartoon Zelda game..."
:zerosuitsamus: - "Oh. So that's what Samus looks like under the suit."
:wolf: - "WOLF IS IN THIS GAME?! OH MY GOD, YES!!!"
:pt::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::lucario: - "More Pokemon! Yay!"
:rob: - "That's not ROB... Oh wait! I remember him! He's the robot-guy from Mario Kart!"
:snake: - "He's from some sort of Gear game... Metal Gear, I think?"
:sonic: - "Sonic is here?! That's awesome!"
:diddy::dedede::metaknight::ike::lucas::pit::olimar: - "Uhh..."

Finally, we got Smash 4, which came out half-way through my Senior year (Or I guess near the end of it. Got framed for assault.)
:rosalina::4bowserjr: - "Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy? Alright.. but Bowser JR from Sunshine is pretty cool."
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: - "The Koopalings. Never played the game they're in, but I know of them."
:4greninja: - "Oh hey! Greninja! Now with a water and fire starter, maybe we'll get a grass starter, too! Sceptile, maybe?"
:4palutena::4darkpit: - "I remember these two from Brawl. Palutena was in Pit's Final Smash, and Dark Pit was an PALETTE SWAP."
:4lucina: - "I've seen her, before. She's the girl on the Fire Emblem Awakening box art. Lucinda, I think?
:4littlemac: - "Little Mac! Never played the game, but I remember his Assist Trophy back in Brawl."
:4duckhunt: - "They brought in the Duck Hunt Dog? What in the hell is going on over there..."
:4villager: - "Oh, dear Lord, they added the Villager? This game is gonna be crazy."
:4wiifit: - "Wii Fit Trainer? Played the game a bit at a friend's house, but this is certainly an odd choice. I don't mind, though"
:4pacman: - "Pac-Man? Alright..."
:4megaman: - "Oh, hey, we're getting Mega Man! That's pretty cool, actually."
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun: - "Miis are here! This is gonna be great!"
:4ryu: - "Ryu from Street Fighter is DLC? Why is Capcom getting two reps, and he better not have complicated input combos."
:4robinm::4shulk::4alph: - "Uhh..."

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
:mario64:, :luigi64:, :yoshi64:, :dk64:- Played several Mario games and the spinoffs even before Smash 64 if you owned a Nintendo console you know who these guys are

:link64:- I knew of Legend of Zelda, because of my older cousin, but my first game was A Link to the Past GBA version.

:kirby64:-Kirby 64 was one of my fav Kirby games, it was what got my into the Kirby series during the time of Smash64.

:pikachu64:, :jigglypuff64:- I was and still am a huge Pokemon fan, played the games and watched the anime.

:fox64:, :falcon64:, :ness64:, :samus64:- I didn't know who any of these were, til many years later.

Melee
:bowsermelee:, :peachmelee:- Same as above

:zeldamelee:, :ganondorfmelee:, :sheikmelee:, :younglinkmelee:- Played Ocarina of Time and others.

:drmario:- I played a Dr.Mario game so....not much to say here

:pichumelee:, :mewtwomelee:- knew of these guys

:falcomelee:- I went back and played StarFox64 but that was it, I could never get into the series.

:icsmelee:, :gawmelee:,:roymelee:,:marthmelee:- Didn't know who the heck these were till years later.

Brawl
:olimar:- He was one of the newer characters I wanted after Pikmin 2 for GameCube.

:wolf:- Again I never got into the series, he was my favorite of the StarFox characters though.

:wario:, :diddy:- Again from the Mario games

:toonlink:- Played Windwaker

:zerosuitsamus:- Bit more familiar with Metroid around this time.

:metaknight:,:dedede:- recognized from the games and the show.

:pt:,:ivysaur:,:charizard:,:squirtle:,:lucario:- same as MetaKnight and Dedede

:ike:,:rob:,:lucas:, :pit:- Sorry who?

:sonic:- One of the newcomers I've wanted for years and he finally got in. I was dancing and screaming my head off when I first saw his reveal trailer.

:snake:- I was into Metal Gear during this time so I already knew who he was, but, I'm also not going to lie, I was happy he was there because that means that other third parties like Sonic could show up.

Smash4
:4villager:- Played New Leaf and City Folk (after Brawl)
:4wiifit:- I bought it for my mother once...so
:4megaman:- Played early MegaMan games and spinoffs, I honestly thought he would've made it into Brawl, sadly he didn't. But our prayers were finally answered.
:rosalina:- Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 best games on the Wii
:4littlemac:- Played the Wii version of PunchOut!
:4greninja:- Knew of him from Pokemon Y
:4palutena:,:4darkpit:- Kid Icarus Uprising was some of my favorite games on the 3DS, I still don't get Dark Pit, but okay.
:4miif:,:4mii:- If you owned a Nintendo console you know who these guys are
:4pacman:-One of the most recognizable characters in video games, if you don't know PacMan, you don't know pop culture.
:4lucina:,:4robinm:,:4robinf:- This was my second favorite 3DS game after Uprising.
:4duckhunt:- I knew of Duck hunt but I've never played the actual game.
:4bowserjr:- Knew from New Super Mario Bros platforms and Super Mario Sunshine.
:4shulk:- I've yet to finish Xenoblade and look forward for the newest one.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::wario: - They're from Mario!
:metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::popo::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::pt::pikachu2::fox::falcon::lucario::zerosuitsamus::kirby2::lucas::link2::ganondorf::sheik::jigglypuff::gw::pit::samus2::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::falco::marth::ness2::zelda: - Who?

Needless to say my knowledge of Nintendo wasn't very large back then, I only started getting into games towards the end of the wii honestly

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
The results are finally here:, tag me so I can hear your thoughts!
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/
Legitimately surprised Andy is so much higher than Sami. I was under the impression she was the more popular one among the folks who want a Wars rep. Of course neither of them even break top 40 so whatever I guess.

Also, Amaterasu at 30th surprises me. That's hardly front runner material, but she beats out a lot of much more talked about characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
64:

:mariomelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee:

Melee:

:mariomelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee:

I was a kid when I first played 64 and Melee, and these were literally the only characters I recognized.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Back in Melee, I only recognized the Mario characters (except Dr. Mario, which was kind of wtf), Yoshi and the Pokémon characters. Given I had played G&W Gallery 4 for the GBA, I also recognized Mr. Game & Watch. Had heard of the Zelda series, so I was a little bit familiar with Link.

I remember spending a lot of time in the Trophy Gallery in Melee, so I ended up learning a lot about Nintendo's franchises and getting into several game series.

By the time Brawl came around, I was somewhat familiar with many of the newcomers including the likes of R.O.B. and Pit. I recognized Pit from Melee's trophies, Wolf from the Melee opening and several other characters even though I didn't own any of their games.

I had no idea who Snake was. And though I didn't know who Lucas was, I figured out immediately he was from the same series as Ness because of the same art style and similarities between both characters, as well as sharing the same series symbol.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll oblige.

Melee:

:bowsermelee::mariomelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee:

My connection to Nintendo around the time Melee was a thing amounted to the Game Boy Color since I was mostly a Sony kid. Given that the two things I played the most on it were Pokemon Yellow and SMB Deluxe(great game btw), I knew of only these characters.

Brawl:

:zerosuitsamus::snake::lucario::wario::sonic:

By the time Brawl was a thing, my gaming interest had increased tenfold, with wider Internet access. I had played all of their respective games by then. Snake made me scream like a little girl when I saw he was in Brawl.

U/3DS:

The only newcomers to 3DS/U that I can claim to have known absolutely nothing about at the time were :4robinm: and:4lucina:, and thus I really disliked them at first.

Key words being at first, until I actually got Awakening and thus did a complete 180 on my former stance, which I will go on record and say was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I believe I posted this in the old thread but i'll post it again here.

:mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::luigi64::falcon64::ness64::yoshi64::samus64::link64:: Had no idea who most of these characters were because Smash 64 was one of my first games I played in my life (given I was 5 years old when I first played it 15 years ago). The only characters I did somewhat recognize were :pikachu64::jigglypuff64: because I had played Pokemon Blue a little bit and Pokemon Stadium at a Walmart. I also believe I watched the PKMN anime around late 1999-early 2000 so I was able to recognize them.

Melee

:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee: By this point of time, I was familiar with the Mario series as I played the Mario spinoff games for the N64 as well as Super Mario 64/Super Mario Sunshine so I easily recognized them all.

:drmario: I remembered him from his N64 game that I played at a McDonalds before.

:yoshimelee:: Knew him from Mario Spinoffs as well as Yoshi's Story.

:dkmelee:: DKC, DKC2, and DK64 were among my favorite games and plus I used DK a lot in Smash 64 so I knew him really well.

:linkmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee:: I was huge on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask so I easily recognized them all.
:younglinkmelee: more so because I mostly played the Child portion of OoT since I wasn't able to venture that far in the game. He was also my LoZ character of choice because of how quick and nimble he was.
I got to say this as well though. I was extremely excited when I found out :ganondorfmelee: was in the game. When I played Event 31, I was really excited to see him in the game because I thought he would do all the cool things he did in OoT. Once I found out he was a clone of Falcon, I was really disappointed.

:foxmelee::falcomelee:: I was a big fan of Star Fox 64 by this point of time.

:samusmelee::nessmelee:: I knew them from Smash 64 but I still had no idea which series they came from. More so Ness who I thought was supposed to represent the Real World somehow because of his series logo being Earth.

:kirbymelee:: I played Kirby 64 a bit as well as knowing him from Smash 64.

:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee:: I was a huge Pokemon fan at this point of time. Played the games, watched the anime, saw most of the movies, etc. so I knew all of them though I was a bit confused about :pichumelee: because I didn't see him that much in the games.

:marthmelee::roymelee:: No idea. I thought they were from an LoZ spinoff game of some sorts. For some odd reason as well, I thought they spoke Spanish in their victory lines.

:icsmelee::gawmelee:: I had no earthly idea as to who they were. I remember being in Elementary School way back (around 12 years ago) and someone I knew told me about this Mr. Game & Watch character so I thought he would be some cool badass character (before I unlocked him mind you). Was disappointed when I found out what he really was lol.

I'll post Brawl and Sm4sH later.

Last edited:
Didn't start playing Smash until Brawl.

Brawl
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::warioc::yoshi2::dk2::diddy::pikachu2::jigglypuff::lucario::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::pt::sonic:
Recognised, had played games where they appeared.

:link2::zelda::ganondorf::kirby2::metaknight::dedede:
Recognised, hadn't played games but still recognised.

:samus2::gw::fox::falco::falcon:
Super Smash Flash.

:toonlink::zerosuitsamus:
Recognised because of Link and Samus.

:snake:
Had heard the name but was otherwise unfamiliar.

:wolf::marth::ike::lucas::ness2::pit::olimar::rob:
No idea.

SSB4
:4megaman::rosalina::4greninja::4duckhunt::4pacman::4mii::4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
Had played games where they appeared.

:4villager::4littlemac::4palutena:
They appeared in Brawl.

:4ryu:
Recognised, but hadn't played Street Fighter.

:4robinm::4lucina::4shulk::4darkpit:
Lurking in Smashboards.

:4wiifit:
No idea.

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I never owned a 64 sadly so I didn't play the original game as a child...oh boy, if you thought your guys' were bad, I was fixated on Mario as a child, so anyone who wasn't from Mario for the most part, I related them back somehow in Melee! xD

Melee
:mariomelee::drmario::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dkmelee::yoshimelee:
- From Mario!!! My favorite series :D
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::younglinkmelee: - Could tell Link and Zelda apart, thought they were related and thought Young Link was their brother too
:sheikmelee::ganondorfmelee: - Always knew Sheik was a girl, but didn't know where she fell in. Thought Ganondorf was the evil dad to Link, Zelda, and Young Link
:pikachumelee::pichumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee: - Pokemon! :D The series my mom hardly let me play >:c
:kirbymelee: - Kirby! Somewhat knew about him but always thought he and Jigglypuff liked each other
:samusmelee: - This guy is cool. Wonder what he looks like without the suit!
:nessmelee: - Haven't seen you before...Mario's baby brother maybe?
:falconmelee: - thought him and Samus were from the same game
:foxmelee::falcomelee: - had no idea where they were from
:marthmelee::roymelee: - thought they were related to the Legend of Zelda
:gawmelee::icsmelee: - they must've been from a Mario game before...they look familiar

Then came Brawl and I was a lot smarter

Brawl
:mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::wario: - Mario characters! DK, Yoshi, and Wario are as their own franchises in the game, but didn't know why Wario had a different outfit
:link2::zelda::sheik::ganondorf::toonlink: - Knew all about them. Success!
:kirby2::dedede::metaknight: - About time the rest of the gang got here
:pikachu2::jigglypuff::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::pt::lucario: - WOW MY FAVORITE POKEMON EVER (Squirtle)?! :D...oh Lucario is here? Mewtwo must be so mad
:samus2::zerosuitsamus: - Samus is a girl?
:fox::falco::wolf: - Knew more about the first two, and once I saw Wolf, needless to say I knew where he was from
:lucas: - Swear to God if he replaces Ness...oh he's here, looks like I won't hate you Lucas (because of the dojo, I knew he was from the Mother series)
:ness2: - :D
:marth::ike: - Marth is back! Is Ike related to him somehow?
:falcon:- show me your moves
:olimar: - didn't know too much about him but I knew him
:popo: - Hooray! Icies! :D
:pit: - Who is this?
:gw: - Glad to see he's back! Who would've known he was such a big part in Nintendo (research helps :D)
:rob: - Not sure who this is...but he looks so badass
:sonic::snake: - Whoa Sonic?! and Snake?! dannng, hope they put Crash Bandicoot in :)

Then came Smash 4 and the only character I really didn't know about was :4shulk:, which through research I knew about him faintly. Not knowing about him made me want to do some more research on obscure or newer Nintendo characters so it'd be pretty odd now if they threw in a character I didn't know about

That Top 10 is a beautiful Top 10.

And I hope this is similar to the ballots.
Sadly, most likely not. The results can't be compared to ballot because of 1s, 2s and 3s, the ballot doesn't have "No" and "Indifferent" votes.

They would've been comparable if only 5s and maybe 4s were taken into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom