• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Don't even joke about that, especially as GS outsold the entire Chibi Robo franchise. Though I have to say, I'm surprised Sakurai hasn't made Chibi an AT for 2 games
planned DLC.

Don't know why you're calling BS, its a fanpoll, the fans voted :p don't take it seriously

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
If it's supposed to be an accurate one then it's not good at that, I'm a person who wants to be a critic, I observe things
wouldn't quite call it accurate seeing how we're probably missing a large portion of the world that voted in the legitimate poll. Either way, some of the users on here are just saying they like the results. I do too. Especially seeing how neither Shantae or Shovel Knight made it to the top ten ^_^

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
wouldn't quite call it accurate seeing how we're probably missing a large portion of the world that voted in the legitimate poll. Either way, some of the users on here are just saying they like the results. I do too. Especially seeing how neither Shantae or Shovel Knight made it to the top ten ^_^
If anything, one could argue that Shantae and Shovel Knight would be there instead of Chibi if it was spread to more people. The top 10 certainly isn't bad, but it's very inaccurate sadly

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If it's supposed to be an accurate one then it's not good at that, I'm a person who wants to be a critic, I observe things
I don't quite understand your opposition to Chibi Robo. He fits the credentials outside of the possibility of having no more future, but as I stated the other day, he's had 5 games now. He's existed with Nintendo for a little while, and he'd make a pretty interesting Smash character. I understand that there's the fear of his franchise dying, but Smash also contains Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, Kid Icarus, it WOULD have the ICs... If the future is pretty bleak, it's still not the end-all-be-all for the character in Smash. And obviously voters often saw the character as likely, even if he's not what they personally wanted.

EDIT: I'm not saying you have to like him, but basically saying everyone else is wrong because you don't like him is a pretty silly thing if you ask me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't quite understand your opposition to Chibi Robo. He fits the credentials outside of the possibility of having no more future, but as I stated the other day, he's had 5 games now. He's existed with Nintendo for a little while, and he'd make a pretty interesting Smash character. I understand that there's the fear of his franchise dying, but Smash also contains Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, Kid Icarus, it WOULD have the ICs... If the future is pretty bleak, it's still not the end-all-be-all for the character in Smash. And obviously voters often saw the character as likely, even if he's not what they personally wanted.

EDIT: I'm not saying you have to like him, but basically saying everyone else is wrong because you don't like him is a pretty silly thing if you ask me.
I DO like him. I'm not saying everyone's wrong but that this certainly doesn't add up to other polls with more votes. Not to mention a revive would have to wait for Smash 5

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I DO like him. I'm not saying everyone's wrong but that this certainly doesn't add up to other polls with more votes. Not to mention a revive would have to wait for Smash 5
Well then also keep in mind that this poll was a 1-5 "How interesting/How much would you like this character" poll. Not a "Who did you vote for?" poll. Because of the different format, of course this poll won't line up with others.

EDIT: I mean look at the top 5. That alone is plenty indication that this probably isn't 100% accurate to what's actually been voted for.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
He would have made a perfect replacement for Munchlax.
How so?
Well then also keep in mind that this poll was a 1-5 "How interesting/How much would you like this character" poll. Not a "Who did you vote for?" poll. Because of the different format, of course this poll won't line up with others.
If that's the case, then I'm genuinely confused what the difference is. A poll is to say 'What do you want?' If this is the same thing, then eh

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
How so?

If that's the case, then I'm genuinely confused what the difference is. A poll is to say 'What do you want?' If this is the same thing, then eh
Well this poll wasn't specifically asking what everyone voted for, but rather if they'd like to see them in Smash. I mean I put a 5 for Midna, but I certainly didn't vote for her in the real ballot. People LIKE Chibi and think he's neat, so he may have gotten extra 5's, but that doesn't mean all those people actually voted for him in the Ballot.

EDIT: (I'm an edit machine today...) This poll is probably better at gaguing how happy the community would be with each character if they wound up making an appearance.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
How so?

A prominent part of Chibi-Robo was picking up trash. He would put it in his head and discard it in a trash can later. I imagine he would imagine him doing the same thing as Munchlax if he were an assist trophy, pick up times and put them away in his head, but he does have other options.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well this poll wasn't specifically asking what everyone voted for, but rather if they'd like to see them in Smash. I mean I put a 5 for Midna, but I certainly didn't vote for her in the real ballot. People LIKE Chibi and think he's neat, so he may have gotten extra 5's, but that doesn't mean all those people actually voted for him in the Ballot.
Wait, there was a 1 to 5 thing? Explains it then

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
This is exactly why I said this poll isn't accurate for the ballot.. It fulfills a different purpose.
I was just trying to explain to Anna why charatcers seem out of place and why to not be irritated with Cheeb's high placement.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So, on the subject of "who did you / didn't you recognise?", here's an extra question:

How did you first realise Samus is a girl?

For me, it was the "Femme Fatale" (I think that'd what it was called?) event in Melee that tipped me off. If you don't remember, it's an event wherein you fight Peach, Zelda and Samus in Fountain of Dreams whilst tiny. My brother and I were confused as to why Samus was in the event, since Samus isn't...

...Is she?

So, on the subject of "who did you / didn't you recognise?", here's an extra question:

For me, it was the "Femme Fatale" (I think that'd what it was called?) event in Melee that tipped me off. If you don't remember, it's an event wherein you fight Peach, Zelda and Samus in Fountain of Dreams whilst tiny. My brother and I were confused as to why Samus was in the event, since Samus isn't...

...Is she?
Well melee made me think she was a robot. . .
I think it was a TV show on G4 that happened to make a joke about Samus being a girl that tipped me off. That was a LONGGGGGG time ago though. . .

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
My first Smash game and exposure to the Metroid franchise was Brawl so yeah...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

...Is she?
I think I read it on a Melee trophy. I was confused, but I got the point. Didn't change my view of the character, though. Like when I realised Tails was a male. (The first Sonic game I played was Sonic R. Not the best introduction to the series)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Impa and especially Chibi being above Bandana Dee really seems off for the whole SG poll thing.

That's just me, I suppose.

Black Mage at 35 is nice.

Ganon at 64 isn't.

Waluigi at 23 is alright.

Not much more to say.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

...Is she?
Same.

I believe the event is called Girl Power.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Same.

I thought she was just a female-designed robot, at the time.
I mean... my grounds for this was kinda based on :4megaman: (specifically Volnutt)
And also the fact that no human should be able to morph ball.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Same.

Really?

Maybe it's different in the PAL version, I definitely remember there was an event called Femme Fatale.

EDIT: Never mind, you're right. It's called Girl Power, I'm thinking of the event description: "A group of femme fatales have dropped by for a visit..."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My first Metroid-related thing in my life was seeing a picture of Zamus. Kinda obvious. After reading a Smash article in ONM, it said you could fight Samus' rival Ridley and Samus' power suit was shown on the page. 'Oh, Ridley's probably a blue Samus' I was awestruck when I played SSE and found out otherwise

ErenJager

Smash Champion
There is no poll that will accurately reflect the ballot.

1) The ballot ran much longer than most polls even existed for. The Smash ballot will incorporate different influxes of votes from different "bandwagon" periods. These other polls will not.

2) Not everyone will vote on an unofficial poll, and may only vote for the ballot, since it's the only poll that mattered.

3) Dedicated voters/ school & library computers/ multiple devices/ botting.

4) World wide and region/ language/ demographics/ geographics.

5) Exposure/ advertising of the poll/ awareness.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
My first Metroid-related thing in my life was seeing a picture of Zamus. Kinda obvious. After reading a Smash article in ONM, it said you could fight Samus' rival Ridley and Samus' power suit was shown on the page. 'Oh, Ridley's probably a blue Samus' I was awestruck when I played SSE and found out otherwise
Now I want this scene.
But Samus as Shadow and Ridley as Sonic.
"What can I say, I die hard!"

Burruni

Smash Hero
I thought Ridley was some kind of bully who thought Samus was a meanie or something. Then I found out about Ridley going omnomnom on her parents
Going omnom on her parents
Invading her new home planet and killing her foster family's race being wiped from the planet.
Trying to kill her a multiple of times.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

I somehow managed to avoid the best endings in Fusion all the time, and completing Hunters with the good ending caught me off guard.

I was a wee kid, okay? :3

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
When did I realize that Samus was a woman? Sometime after playing 64, I realized that Samus was a feminine name...

Surprised the heck outta me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I first knew that Samus was a female by reading her trophy description. The pronoun was feminine.

But I actually didn't believe it at first! I was like "no way it's a girl, it must be a mistake". (My 11-year-old self was a bit sexist, methinks...)

I remember I was at school seeing the Melee website and checking out the characters when a guy comes to me and says, "you see that robot? It's actually a girl!"

And then I found out about her unmasked trophy and the rest is story.

Then came Brawl and when Zero Suit Samus appeared in the trailer, I wasn't surprised at all.

Last edited:

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Hi all! Haven't posted on here for months, the hype over the ballot ending has led me back on.

Just wondering what the common arguments against Inkling are? Because I don't see them seen by many as likely as Isaac or Bandana Dee, but I see Inkling as so much more likely.

Splatoon has been a huge hit for the Wii U (currently outselling even Smash U), and with a Mario Maker stage being included it seems Sakurai is very open to representing current games. So more content than a couple of Mii Fighter outfits seems inevitable to me.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I don't know how, but I didn't really think of what gender Samus was, even when my GameCube came with Metroid Prime (first experience and first time seeing the franchise). I think the elevator sequences where you can see her face is what gave me the impression she was female.

I was more suprised as to what her name was. I didn't call her Metroid, but I never knew her name for the longest time, so seeing her in Melee made me quite surprised that her name was Samus :p.

As the time goes by, I'm actually anticipating stages more than characters. I've been burned out by character selection, so seeing what stages come is equally as fun. Now I just wait for Magicant to get the stage port like Duck Hunt...

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hi all! Haven't posted on here for months, the hype over the ballot ending has led me back on.

Just wondering what the common arguments against Inkling are? Because I don't see them seen by many as likely as Isaac or Bandana Dee, but I see Inkling as so much more likely.

Splatoon has been a huge hit for the Wii U (currently outselling even Smash U), and with a Mario Maker stage being included it seems Sakurai is very open to representing current games. So more content than a couple of Mii Fighter outfits seems inevitable to me.
1) Too new.
2) Nintendo would hold them back to be a big name for Smash 5 given there are a number of suitable characters to fill however many can be done in the time we have left from Sakurai's team (most people saying 4 or less from now, including Wolf and K. Rool as two who are the most likely by a far magin).
3) The costumes are meant to hold fans over.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

...Is she?
I learnt about her being a girl on Wikipedia. Yeah....

:231:

No Control

Smash Apprentice
1) Too new.
2) Nintendo would hold them back to be a big name for Smash 5 given there are a number of suitable characters to fill however many can be done in the time we have left from Sakurai's team (most people saying 4 or less from now, including Wolf and K. Rool as two who are the most likely by a far magin).
3) The costumes are meant to hold fans over.
I don't think point 1 would really matter given that development of any characters at this point probably started around the time the last batch of characters came out,by which time Splatoon was already a thing.

The second point is fair enough, and I am expecting both K Rool and Wolf, but I think Inkling would sell much better than any other first party options I can think of with Splatoon's success... I'd see no point holding them back for Smash 5 when plenty of other characters will have come into the spotlight by then,and we'll still have Ridley, Isabelle/Tom Nook, possible Zelda U characters, maybe Dixie, Krystal etc. to add as well as more first parties.

As the time goes by, I'm actually anticipating stages more than characters. I've been burned out by character selection, so seeing what stages come is equally as fun. Now I just wait for Magicant to get the stage port like Duck Hunt...
Magicant and Mute City would be perfect.

Morbi

Scavenger
There is no poll that will accurately reflect the ballot.

1) The ballot ran much longer than most polls even existed for. The Smash ballot will incorporate different influxes of votes from different "bandwagon" periods. These other polls will not.

2) Not everyone will vote on an unofficial poll, and may only vote for the ballot, since it's the only poll that mattered.

3) Dedicated voters/ school & library computers/ multiple devices/ botting.

4) World wide and region/ language/ demographics/ geographics.

5) Exposure/ advertising of the poll/ awareness.
Furthermore, the official ballot is not going to accurately reflect what everyone who voted on the poll wanted either. There is far too much room for joke votes. Well, I suppose it accurately reflects what each individual wants, but honestly, Etika's **** is not even a viable third-party candidate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom