• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's too bad. Chibi-Robo being in Smash probably would have helped Zip Lash sales and kept the Chibi-Robo series alive for a bit longer... and hey, Chibi-Robo would have added some more franchise variety to the Smash series (we got 9 new franchises: Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, Mii, Pac-Man, Xenoblade Chronicles, Duck Hunt, and Street Fighter)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's too bad. Chibi-Robo being in Smash probably would have helped Zip Lash sales and kept the Chibi-Robo series alive for a bit longer... and hey, Chibi-Robo would have added some more franchise variety to the Smash series (we got 9 new franchises: Animal Crossing, Mega Man, Wii Fit, Punch-Out!!, Mii, Pac-Man, Xenoblade Chronicles, Duck Hunt, and Street Fighter)
I hope people try out Zip Lash.

I'd hate for the series to die, especially when it has loyal fans.

Burruni

Smash Hero
As dull as in New Super Mario Bros. series (except the original), or worse?
New Super Mario Bros 2. level design.
Bosses which have 1 or 2 attacks while you pathetically try to thwack away at their health (the case for 3 of the 6, the others are gimmicks which are drawn out for far too long).

Edit: One of the three others is waiting around to play Breakout to reach the one-shot cores of the boss, another is the slowest possible interpretation of a Kirby Shooter boss (like Heart of Nova, Magalor & Lor Starcutter, Kabula, or Dark Mind Final Form), and the final boss(es)... yeah.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Mozt reactions I saw to the franchise being killed off where 'lol publicity stunt' or 'good, either a real Chibi Robo or no CR'
I just hope they won't follow through with the idea of canceling the franchise.

I don't care much for CR because I haven't played it, but FE almost got canceled, with its future hanging on one game, so I can completely empathize.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm playing Zip Lash right now. It reminds me of a Kirby game as far as difficulty goes. The game is FUN, but it's very simple and not overly challenging. I'd recommend it to Chibi fans and people who like simpler platformers. Not a BAD game though. My only quarrels are that it isn't very challenging and the controls feel a little wonky. But that's stuff I can certainly get past.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that the one dollar trophy killed the Inkling's chances, however a Splatoon character and Bandana Dee were the results I got when researching the rumor, so I could be wrong. Or maybe we'll get Callie and Marie or Agent 3?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So just to clear everyone up on this, I just scanned my Chibi amiibo on Smash Bros and nothing happened. So yes, the site is a false alarm unless something changes.

Although the game just came out, I feel like Chibi Robo died. Either everyone and their mother will see it on the shelfs and buy it or it will fail to meet a sale quota because Nintendo is dumb at marketing
Chibi never got that big to begin with. His first game was excellent, but nobody played b/c Nintendo marketing. The second one, while not as stellar, was another great game, but suffered the same fate. Photo Finder was pretty lame. This game they've attempted to market more (Micro Direct as well as Ninty social media having a hay-day with it) but the game itself isn't the best. So Chibi was set up for failure at a young age when he was in his prime. Can't say that he wouldn't appear in Smash though, as he's at least existed for longer than many other characters.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I was thinking about third party companies today.

So far Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Namco have all had a rep in Smash.

All of which are Japanese based companies...

So I got thinking I wonder if we'll ever see Tecmo Koei, Natsume, or Level 5 get some representation in the series.

There's also Square Enix.

A project X zone with more companies would be pretty cool too.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

So I got thinking I wonder if we'll ever see Tecmo Koei, Natsume, or Level 5 get some representation in the series.

I think a Harvest Moon farmer from Natsume would be the best. Especially the one from Mineral Town/DS

Harvest Moon has literally been around forever.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

It all depends on who the characters are and if they fit Sakurai's criteria honestly, how many characters fit that? Hell, Konami's most popular newcomer choice, Simon Bellmont, sadly suffers from not fitting the criteria as CastleVania's currently in a fate worse than death

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think a Harvest Moon farmer from Natsume would be the best. Especially the one from Mineral Town/DS

I think Natsume has gone either heavily under the radar or under appreciated as far as Smash goes.
You'd think a trophy or something by now.
Hopefully fans rally for a Natsume rep in the future, as much as they have for wayforward or YCG.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Actually, Natsume only publishes the Harvest Moon series in the West. :urg:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think it's just a matter of time before Black Mage joins the battle. I doubt he...it?...will join as DLC, but next smash is a very good possibility. (I feel the same about Rayman honestly)
No, he's really only popular because of SSBF, I think if they were to choose a Final Fantasy character, it'd be a Chocabo.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's an odd way of saying Cloud, one of, if not THE most iconic JRPG character ever. I'd personally like Black Mage or Gilgamesh
But then again Chocabos are the series mascot, I think they'd work well in Smash. I mean they've had their own game exclusive to the Wii (Wasn't the best game but still) while Cloud has bearly appeared in a proper game on a Nintendo console outside of cameos and spin-offs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But then again Chocabos are the series mascot, I think they'd work well in Smash. I mean they've had their own game exclusive to the Wii (Wasn't the best game but still) while Cloud has bearly appeared in a proper game on a Nintendo console outside of cameos and spin-offs.
They're the Anna of FF, one of them anyway, Gilgamesh being the other. Not a mascot but reoccuring thing. Anyone remember a Tumblr post which had a character idea that the competitive fans would hate because everything's random? Gilgamesh would be that if his Dissidia style was copied

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No, he's really only popular because of SSBF, I think if they were to choose a Final Fantasy character, it'd be a Chocabo.
Are you forgetting that he along with a few other Warriors of Light crossed over with Mario at least twice?

Even with we ignore Final Fantasy, Slime coexisted with Mario more than the FF characters thanks to the Itadaki Street games.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Are you forgetting that he along with a few other Warriors of Light crossed over with Mario at least twice?

Even with we ignore Final Fantasy, Slime coexisted with Mario more than the FF characters thanks to the Itadaki Street games.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. But what I meant was that his requests come from SSBF.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Think Black Mage is more likely than Cloud.

He has been around since early FF days on Nintendo.
You can see the more classic characters in the DS Mario Sports games, which I feel make it more likley.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
EDIT: Actually. Now that I think about it, Final Fantasy doesn't really get any love in the first place. So yeah all of Black Mage's popularity came from ssf2, but I don't think anyone else is getting anything.

And I highly doubt a Chocabo is going to join smash.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not exactly sure where Square sits as a company and it's relationship with Nintendo.

At one point Sony owned a significant market share of Square and i'm not sure if it's been sold off or currently in the process of.

They do seem to favor Sony as company though, just based on frequency of game releases/ exclusives.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm not exactly sure where Square sits as a company and it's relationship with Nintendo.

At one point Sony owned a significant market share of Square and i'm not sure if it's been sold off or currently in the process of.

They do seem to favor Sony as company though, just based on frequency of game releases/ exclusives.
Sony doesn't own anything of SE afaik. Microsoft only has Tomb Raider though amiright

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, Natsume only publishes the Harvest Moon series in the West. :urg:
In fact, modern Harvest Moon isn't even the real Harvest Moon. Because the new owners of the franchise decided to publish the games themselves in the west now, but Natsume still owns the trademark for Harvest Moon in the west. As such, the REAL Harvest Moon is now being localized as "Story of Seasons," and the new Harvest Moon games have no connections to the originals.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm playing Zip Lash right now. It reminds me of a Kirby game as far as difficulty goes. The game is FUN, but it's very simple and not overly challenging. I'd recommend it to Chibi fans and people who like simpler platformers. Not a BAD game though. My only quarrels are that it isn't very challenging and the controls feel a little wonky. But that's stuff I can certainly get past.
"It reminds me of a Kirby game as far as difficulty goes."

Edit: And so what if SSF2 sparked discussion for Black Mage?
I haven't seen him play, just that he's in the game and made a full moveset. The fact is that he's an iconic class/design/character from one of the few massive series that began on Nintendo left... what sparked discussion and want doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that he is wanted and has merit.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
What do you mean, it's absolutely true, if he wasn't in SSBF, he most likely wouldn't be as popular for Smash.
And if it wasn't for Butt-Butt's makers pushing the name around, he most likely wouldn't be as popular for Smash.

Doesn't mean he isn't desired. I don't see how people wanting a gaming character from a fan game of Smash makes them any less "proper" to be in Smash.

Edit: It's like saying people wanting some character's moves changed to be like Project M's ideas are wrong because it's not official.

Double Edit: I'm off to work but I'mma smack down some logic when I'm back.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I want to like Chibi-Robo, I really do. I also want to see the franchise be successful and not die. But... "boring" is pretty much all I get when I think of the character and/or the games. Guess I could give Zip-Lash a try though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom