• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I thing Lara Croft fits the criteria for smash...If she could defend herself with something other than guns or knives.

Question: Why are knives considered inappropriate for smash? All they are are reeeeely reeeeely short swords, something we have a plethora of already. Maybe it's because people use those to fight in modern day? Then again the Villager has an Axe...
Has Mrs. Croft even appeared on a Nintendo console?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Has Mrs. Croft even appeared on a Nintendo console?
Yes. Tomb Raider: Legand was on the Gamecube, and Tomb Raider: Aniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld were both on the Wii.

EDIT: Probably dual platform every time, but it's there.
EDIT EDIT: I know someone is going to chew me out on this if I don't say it, but I highly doubt they would put her in the game (Cuz y'know guns n' stuff). My comment was that they could if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
What's wrong with Slime? He's gotta be one of the most iconic and historical RPG characters. Slime even got his own spin off series! A shape-shifting slimy blob would make an extremely unique fighter too.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
There is a specific Slime if I'm not mistaken who has his own game.

Granted, I disagree entirely on the idea that a "generic" character couldn't be a 3rd party rep. Being based on a "generic" character doesn't make them any less iconic.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What's wrong with Slime? He's gotta be one of the most iconic and historical RPG characters. Slime even got his own spin off series! A shape-shifting slimy blob would make an extremely unique fighter too.
"Because no generic enemy third parties aloud."

Honestly, now that I know that he has moveset potential, I'd be ok with it.
Granted, I disagree entirely on the idea that a "generic" character couldn't be a 3rd party rep. Being based on a "generic" character doesn't make them any less iconic.
My thoughts exactly.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Indeed, I'm pretty sure Pikachu is not supposed to be one specific Pikachu. I think he represents all Pikachus in general. Slime is no different.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yes. Tomb Raider: Legand was on the Gamecube, and Tomb Raider: Aniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld were both on the Wii.

EDIT: Probably dual platform every time, but it's there.
EDIT EDIT: I know someone is going to chew me out on this if I don't say it, but I highly doubt they would put her in the game (Cuz y'know guns n' stuff). My comment was that they could if they wanted to.
Hm... Tomb Raider 2's ending, that's all I need to say. (Also the nude code) (Yes I know it's not an actual nude code but it's an ubrban legend commonly associated with it, even involving hacked footage of her running around naked)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is this generally considered really hard? It's definitely challenging (took me about a dozen times to beat it), but Triple Deluxe is really rewarding when it comes to invincibility on copy abilities. Beetle is a prime example of this.

Edit: I haven't played RtDL. Is that one noticeably harder than Triple Deluxe's?
The difficulty of the three True Arenas so far
TD<SSU<RtDL. Just to say.

Beetle is pretty abusable for TD and the only /true/ challenges of any of the fights are the forms of sectonia. Even Shadow Meta Knight isn't that bad.

In SSU, Kabula in general is a bit nerve wracking and ikely to skim hits on you, but Masked Dedede to Wham Bam Jewel to Galactica Knight to Marx Soul is a struggle.

Return to Dreamland? Ha ha ha. The robot from Egg Engines gaining an entire extra boss to it, Landia EX, and Magalor's fights are... a whopping fight.

On the subject of Slime, though.

He's an interesting quirky idea for an Enix character who could certainly work with.. how much of a shapeshifter could be played off and just having little attacks based on the various slime things such as possibly having a charged dash like Ike's side B that has Slime grow out a gel "Rider" to have the attack of a Slime Knight.

And, he did appear alongside the FF classes in Mario Sports Mix as well as, of course, Fortune Street.

It's an option.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man...

Just thinking about some of these stagnant series/characters who haven't seen attention since around 2008.

K. Rool
Golden Sun
Custom Robo

..... 2003/4 for F-Zero.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Just from this game alone you could put together a decent moveset for the Slime. Now if only Square Enix got off its *** and started publishing Dragon Quest on the west maybe we'll could see him appear on Smash 5.
ROCKET SLIME!!
Awh I loved that game that was great, yeah you could totally base a Slime Moveset of that alone(Though they should also take things like magic from the main series)
Rocket's Unique Thing could be being able to carry three items at once

Calane

Smash Ace
If I could pick a Square Enix character, it'd be this guy.

DQVDS_-_Hero.png

The best DQ Hero, in my opinion. Since he's a "Monster Master", he could use many of the iconic DQ monsters in his move set. And seriously, can anyone really say "no" to that cool purple turban? I think not. Though, I'm pretty sure I'd be the only person in the world who'd even think of him, so there's really no chance that it could possibly happen.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So about this rumor, with my research about it and findings such as the people being former Nintendo employees, or the mystery character either being Bandana Dee or one of three characters from Splatoon (Inkling, Squid Sisters, Agent 3) it seems it very well could be real, either way...

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
There's a problem people are forgetting: There are two Lara Crofts.

(Well, technically three as there are three Tomb Raider continuities, but the second is heavily based on the first unlike the current one which is completely different)

The one(s) from the classic TR games, TR1 through Underworld, and the one from the reboot. And the two character versions could not be any more different from one another.

Anyone that played the game would realize Reboot Lara is out of the question, and explaining this would be like describing why Duke Nukem would never be considered by Nintendo for a guest Smash appearance.

But Classic Lara has similar problems. Her games (usually) weren't overly grimdark or stuffed full of horror elements, but she still primarily uses guns. The funny thing is I could actually imagine her moveset being almost exactly like Snake's as there are plenty of explosive weapons in TR, but the difference here is that Snake's guns aren't really an iconic trademark of his (don't think the M9 counts; not on the same level as Lara's dual pistols).

And as someone already brought up, she would conceptually be pretty similar to ZSS. So... there's the problem of not really bringing new things to the roster, in spite of Lara being one of the video game industry's icons. And her most major setback: This character is no longer in use. Crystal rebooted the series from the ground up and ditched this iteration of Lara Croft.

But besides all this... really, Lara isn't exactly a Square Enix character anyway. They only inherited the IP very recently, after absorbing Eidos.

Last edited:
If we'd get a SE character, my choice would be Black Mage.

The difficulty of the three True Arenas so far
TD<SSU<RtDL. Just to say.

Beetle is pretty abusable for TD and the only /true/ challenges of any of the fights are the forms of sectonia. Even Shadow Meta Knight isn't that bad.

In SSU, Kabula in general is a bit nerve wracking and ikely to skim hits on you, but Masked Dedede to Wham Bam Jewel to Galactica Knight to Marx Soul is a struggle.

Return to Dreamland? Ha ha ha. The robot from Egg Engines gaining an entire extra boss to it, Landia EX, and Magalor's fights are... a whopping fight.

On the subject of Slime, though.

He's an interesting quirky idea for an Enix character who could certainly work with.. how much of a shapeshifter could be played off and just having little attacks based on the various slime things such as possibly having a charged dash like Ike's side B that has Slime grow out a gel "Rider" to have the attack of a Slime Knight.

And, he did appear alongside the FF classes in Mario Sports Mix as well as, of course, Fortune Street.

It's an option.
Ironically Triple Deluxe's True Arena is the only one of those that I haven't beaten.

Although I have only beaten RtDL's True Arena in multiplayer, I don't think I've ever tried to do it in single player.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Has anyone ever brought up Azure Striker Gunvolt as an indie character for Smash?

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
There's a problem people are forgetting: There are two Lara Crofts.

(Well, technically three as there are three Tomb Raider continuities, but the second is heavily based on the first unlike the current one which is completely different)

The one(s) from the classic TR games, TR1 through Underworld, and the one from the reboot. And the two character versions could not be any more different from one another.

Anyone that played the game would realize Reboot Lara is out of the question, and explaining this would be like describing why Duke Nukem would never be considered by Nintendo for a guest Smash appearance.

But Classic Lara has similar problems. Her games (usually) weren't overly grimdark or stuffed full of horror elements, but she still primarily uses guns. The funny thing is I could actually imagine her moveset being almost exactly like Snake's as there are plenty of explosive weapons in TR, but the difference here is that Snake's guns aren't really an iconic trademark of his (don't think the M9 counts; not on the same level as Lara's dual pistols).

And as someone already brought up, she would conceptually be pretty similar to ZSS. So... there's the problem of not really bringing new things to the roster, in spite of Lara being one of the video game industry's icons. And her most major setback: This character is no longer in use. Crystal rebooted the series from the ground up and ditched this iteration of Lara Croft.

But besides all this... really, Lara isn't exactly a Square Enix character anyway. They only inherited the IP very recently, after absorbing Eidos.
I think she's one of their top characters now regardless of how they got her. I think what you mean to say is she's not a "Square" character, lol.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
That's not it. Square Enix was given the IP after Underworld (with Eidos falling out of the picture); by the time their name became tied to the TR franchise, it was after the series reboot, which is so radically different from the original series that it might as well have been a new IP. And regardless, they're only the publisher now.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Lara Croft that made gaming history has no association with Square. People don't think of them when it comes to TR during the prime of the series; they think of Eidos, Core Design, or Crystal Dynamics.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hypothetical question/ scenario:

Sakurai announces there will be no third party characters in future renditions of Smash bros.

What first parties characters fill there spot/ move set/ niche as best as possible?

Sonic - Dillion
Pacman - ???
Megaman - Ray MK
Ryu - ???
Snake - ???

Sakurai announces there will be no third party characters in future renditions of Smash bros.

What first parties characters fill there spot/ move set/ niche as best as possible?

Sonic - Dillion
Pacman - ???
Megaman - Ray MK
Ryu - ???
Snake - ???
I've seen some people suggest Sami as Snake's replacement, so I guess she could fill Snake's spot/niche/moveset.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So about this rumor, with my research about it and findings such as the people being former Nintendo employees, or the mystery character either being Bandana Dee or one of three characters from Splatoon (Inkling, Squid Sisters, Agent 3) it seems it very well could be real, either way...
Which rumor

Razors?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've seen some people suggest Sami as Snake's replacement, so I guess she could fill Snake's spot/niche/moveset.
That's actually pretty clever, that wouldnt have crossed my mind.

I went from disregarding Sami completely to now atleast being entertained by the idea.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
That's not it. Square Enix was given the IP after Underworld (with Eidos falling out of the picture); by the time their name became tied to the TR franchise, it was after the series reboot, which is so radically different from the original series that it might as well have been a new IP. And regardless, they're only the publisher now.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Lara Croft that made gaming history has no association with Square. People don't think of them when it comes to TR during the prime of the series; they think of Eidos, Core Design, or Crystal Dynamics.
Does Square Enix have the rights to the series or just the reboot version?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If you can't even say what the character is, then I'm not sure why we should put any stock into it. Heck, even if it is from Splatoon, you don't seem to know which on that front either.

What research did you do?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If you can't even say what the character is, then I'm not sure why we should put any stock into it. Heck, even if it is from Splatoon, you don't seem to know which on that front either.

What research did you do?
It's kinda hard to explain... I researched what the leakers identies were, what the character could be, and alot, LOT, more. Only the third leaker remains a mystery. The mystery character was most likely unstated to avoid any legal issues.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It's kinda hard to explain... I researched what the leakers identies were, what the character could be, and alot, LOT, more. Only the third leaker remains a mystery. The mystery character was most likely unstated to avoid any legal issues.
Well, I mean we have all the time in the world. You could easily explain. Because I have no idea what the identity of the leakers have anything to do with the potential characters. Also, are you trying to suggest that each individual leaker only knows 1 character? And that each character corresponds with one of the three character slots that ?

Seems out there to me. Seems fishy for someone to only know one of what they are leaking. Also, a leaker is going to be in huge trouble no matter what or how much they leak. I see no reason why they would try to hide one character.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Please, Nintenzilla, stop posting misinformation.
You always do this, in the Bandana Dee thread, the NintenZone thread, and now this thread.
It's annoying.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The stealth guy is likely correct, but only because his statements can go for so many character and everyone knows there should be a direct soon enough.

JoeKarta

Smash Rookie

Sonic - Dillion
Pacman - ???
Megaman - Ray MK
Ryu - ???
Snake - ???
Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven could replace Ryu. They are both pretty basic fighters and have iconic projectile attacks.
The only character I think can replace Pacman is Keeby, who is basically Kirby but yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom