• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
"It reminds me of a Kirby game as far as difficulty goes."

Is this generally considered really hard? It's definitely challenging (took me about a dozen times to beat it), but Triple Deluxe is really rewarding when it comes to invincibility on copy abilities. Beetle is a prime example of this.

Edit: I haven't played RtDL. Is that one noticeably harder than Triple Deluxe's?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, Final Fantasy discussion? Well, I was thinking what if they went the Mii Fighter route and create a new type of custom fighters called Warriors of Light... and you get to choose between six classes from the first NES game: Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
What do you mean, it's absolutely true, if he wasn't in SSBF, he most likely wouldn't be as popular for Smash.
What I mean is that's circular logic. Saying it matters because it matters proves absolutely nothing. You need a reason for why it matters.

And anyway, you're still not answering the original question; why would the source of a character's popularity matter? People wanted Roy because he was in Melee. Does that fact somehow negate all that popularity?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I want to like Chibi-Robo, I really do. I also want to see the franchise be successful and not die. But... "boring" is pretty much all I get when I think of the character and/or the games. Guess I could give Zip-Lash a try though.
Did you ever play the Gamecube one? I thought it was a pretty great adventure/RPG game. Exploring a home from that perspective was pretty great, and I enjoyed all the different character's personalities a ton.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, Final Fantasy discussion? Well, I was thinking what if they went the Mii Fighter route and create a new type of custom fighters called Warriors of Light... and you get to choose between six classes from the first NES game: Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage.

While something like that would take a crap ton of work, I wouldn't mind Square to have the Smash team go that route. That way, people can have a choice of what Warrior of Light they want to play as instead of being forced to play as the one that the company picks out of all six.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If we get an SE character, the only one I'd accept is Crono due to the fact that I think he has an absolute ton to work with and because of sheer personal bias.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
'afaik'. Not to mention they're SELLING the SE stuff
Sorry, I wasn't correcting you, just did some research and thought i'd share with you.

I think it's actually already sold.

The interesting part about this, is I don't know if major stake holding is public info or not.
It'd be interesting to know if any other companies own stake in others.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
If any Final Fantasy character ever makes it, it will likely be Black Mage. He's been in most (if not all) the games, including the spin-offs and crossovers. He could be considered a gaming legend, and he has lots of popularity, including votes on the ballot. He'll also be easy to implement, due to his vast array of magic.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I don't really see the point of going to so much work considering that Black mage has the most potential and popularity

Morbi

Scavenger
If any Final Fantasy character ever makes it, it will likely be Black Mage. He's been in most (if not all) the games, including the spin-offs and crossovers. He could be considered a gaming legend, and he has lots of popularity, including votes on the ballot. He'll also be easy to implement, due to his vast array of magic.
I am not so certain of that, I feel as though we usually regard characters who appear in multiple titles as more prominent than main characters of notable titles. However, I am honestly starting to doubt that mentality. Cloud is easily far more recognizable than Black Mage, and with the Final Fantasy 7 remake, he is going to regain a lot of his lost relevance. I agree that he (Black Mage) is more important to the series, but at the same time, Anna from Fire Emblem is more iconic than half of the Fire Emblem roster and that seems to mean little to nothing.

I prefer Black Mage, but I find it hard to believe that he would be selected over Cloud. IF we got a Final Fantasy character in the first place of course. That is sort of a stretch in the first place. If Square Enix gets anyone, it would likely be Sora in my opinion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If they put Sora in Smash, then they pretty much have to put in Disney characters in Smash too... Kingdom Hearts stage, Assist Trophy, trophies, Mii costumes...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If they put Sora in Smash, then they pretty much have to put in Disney characters in Smash too... Kingdom Hearts stage, Assist Trophy, trophies, Mii costumes...
Plus this gem: "Who will I have Ice Cream with?"

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Im also 99% sure wolf coming back, if he didnt I would kind of be mad because hes got the votes, hes a veteran, hes a BAD guy that isn't a fox clone, the starfox series only has two representatives in smash 4, I could go on forever

Moosseff

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if wolf DOESNT come back its either because Sakurai is pulling a trollface or smash 4 cant handle wolf which would be absurd but to a certain extent possible

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hopefully Konami makes a return in Smash 5, if we don't get any Konami DLC.
They definitely are one of the major Japanese third party juggernauts.

• Castlevania
  • Silent Hill
  • Contra
  • Metal Gear
  • Goemon
  • Bomberman
  • Dance Dance Revolution
  • Suikoden Series
  • Bonk
  • Frogger

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly if wolf DOESNT come back its either because Sakurai is pulling a trollface or smash 4 cant handle wolf which would be absurd but to a certain extent possible
It's impossible for the Wii U not to handle him
hes a BAD guy
There's your reason, Sakurai hates villains. Also, please don't double post, there's an Edit button

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Or he just thinks Wolf isn't different enough and he doesn't want to differentiate him further. I know he's not a clone, but he's got tons of similarities to Falco, and neither Wolf or Falco are "free desert" like Lucina was, so she's not part of this equation.

I am not so certain of that, I feel as though we usually regard characters who appear in multiple titles as more prominent than main characters of notable titles. However, I am honestly starting to doubt that mentality. Cloud is easily far more recognizable than Black Mage, and with the Final Fantasy 7 remake, he is going to regain a lot of his lost relevance. I agree that he (Black Mage) is more important to the series, but at the same time, Anna from Fire Emblem is more iconic than half of the Fire Emblem roster and that seems to mean little to nothing.

I prefer Black Mage, but I find it hard to believe that he would be selected over Cloud. IF we got a Final Fantasy character in the first place of course. That is sort of a stretch in the first place. If Square Enix gets anyone, it would likely be Sora in my opinion.
The only problem is Cloud has no real connections to Nintendo. We can go by this logic and perhaps argue Crono, the main character of one of the most popular RPG's of all time, or maybe Terra, the main representative of the second-most popular Final Fantasy game of all time. But because all of Cloud's games have been on Sony only I don't see him as a viable option.

The closest, barebones connection he has is appearing in two Kingdom Hearts SPINOFFS on the GBA and DS, respectively. Even worse is that they're the two most overlooked KH games in the series. Ok, and perhaps the Thearhythm games, but Terra also appears in those, too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Or he just thinks Wolf isn't different enough and he doesn't want to differentiate him further. I know he's not a clone, but he's got tons of similarities to Falco, and neither Wolf or Falco are "free desert" like Lucina was, so she's not part of this equation.

The only problem is Cloud has no real connections to Nintendo. We can go by this logic and perhaps argue Crono, the main character of one of the most popular RPG's of all time, or maybe Terra, the main representative of the second-most popular Final Fantasy game of all time. But because all of Cloud's games have been on Sony only I don't see him as a viable option.

The closest, barebones connection he has is appearing in two Kingdom Hearts SPINOFFS on the GBA and DS, respectively. Even worse is that they're the two most overlooked KH games in the series. Ok, and perhaps the Thearhythm games, but Terra also appears in those, too.
Falco's playstyle changed in 4. I mained Wolf and they are completely different

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hey guys, I'm back, @Burruni made me realize that how BM got his popularity doesn't matter, what does is the fact he is popular, has great move set potential, and a good realation with Nintendo. He'd be a great FF character!

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hey guys, I'm back, @Burruni made me realize that how BL got his popularity doesn't matter
I am popular? : D

--------

Anyway, in terms of Square characters, I feel Slime is the best pick. Not only is Dragon Quest a very historical rpg and Slime having a presence as a gaming icon, (also see the popular phrase "A slime draws near"), there is also the crossovers with Mario to consider. Even if having nintendo relations is just a formality, it is still beneficial for the character to have one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I am popular? : D

--------

Anyway, in terms of Square characters, I feel Slime is the best pick. Not only is Dragon Quest a very historical rpg and Slime having a presence as a gaming icon, (also see the popular phrase "A slime draws near"), there is also the crossovers with Mario to consider. Even if having nintendo relations is just a formality, it is still beneficial for the character to have one.
Thanks for pointing that out. Anyways, technically Slime isn't a Square character, he's an Enix character. Is it possible to have both a Square and an Enix character despite the merge? Thoughts?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Awh I loved the first Chibi-Robo, it was a big game with a lot to explore and do, could we just get that in HD Nintendo
It's like Paper Mario where they keep experimenting with it and it's going downhill as a result

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I don't think 3rd party characters should be relegated to non-specific generic characters like Black Mage and Slime.
Thanks for pointing that out. Anyways, technically Slime isn't a Square character, he's an Enix character. Is it possible to have both a Square and an Enix character despite the merge? Thoughts?
:4megaman::4ryu: What. Is this question?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If we are talking SQ I would prefer to have a TWEWY character, but that won't happen. I feel like Crono would make a ton of sense going with the whole old school third party theme. He is part of a "timeless" classic.

That being said, I don't think getting an SQ character is very likely at all.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we are talking SQ I would prefer to have a TWEWY character, but that won't happen. I feel like Crono would make a ton of sense going with the whole old school third party theme. He is part of a "timeless" classic.

That being said, I don't think getting an SQ character is very likely at all.
Fun fact: Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest had the same designer, can you guess what his name was and what famous anime he created?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Fun fact: Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest had the same designer, can you guess what his name was and what famous anime he created?
I'd like to solve the puzzle!
All right, go for it!
What is Dragon Ball?!
YOU GOT IT!

Daily Double!
I' putting it all on the line
Alright.
Who is Akira Toriyama?
You got it. $2400.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My two favorite SE characters are Lara Croft and Wei Shun but I don't think either should be in Smash.
I thing Lara Croft fits the criteria for smash...If she could defend herself with something other than guns or knives.

Question: Why are knives considered inappropriate for smash? All they are are reeeeely reeeeely short swords, something we have a plethora of already. Maybe it's because people use those to fight in modern day? Then again the Villager has an Axe...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
In terms of her merits Lara Croft more than deserves a spot in Smash...but her bread and butter are her dual wielded pistols...Snake shows us that Smash does not like realistic guns...

I could possibly see Lara Croft functioning like a cross between Snake and ZSS but at the same time, what else can she do to make her stand out as a character in Smash other than being 'Lara Croft'?

The idea of both Lara Croft and Samus, video gaming's most iconic female characters, being in the same game is a rather exciting prospect, but when it comes to her moveset potential, it is rather limited....I feel ZSS pretty much fills the exact same niche Lara Croft would have anyways; being a highly athletic, speedy, martial artist, then we also have Sheik with a similar role as well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom