• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The only thing you nailed was the pin through my head if this happens.

But hey!
Miiverse would finally be happy!
Nah. It'd need Shrek and Batman before Miiverse is happy.
Maybe all the other stupid meme characters too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You include Goku yet forget Shrek? BluePikmin11, im dissapointed.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
So? Did I nail it? How would you react to a roster like this?
Blue, I notice a lot of people on here call you a hipster, but I have now come to the conclusion you are just trolling everybody.

On a side note if you are trying to genuinely make a list that makes everybody happy you should know that there are some characters that most people in the community would hate to see get in like Kratos and Master Chief.

StormC

Smash Hero
Goku has had more of an influence on the video game industry than any non-Quote indie character, to be honest.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Having releases on gaming consoles for a long time =/= having a big effect on the industry.

While I don't really support indie characters getting into Smash, Goku is far from a gaming icon. Having a bunch of releases doesn't make you a huge impact on gaming.

If that's the case, any cartoon that has had several releases on Nintendo consoles is close to that. Are we going to consider the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles next?

Calane

Smash Ace
Okay guys, let's play a game:
You have to Choose 3 characters who are Assist Trophies and make them Playable.
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
Oh man, this is easy!

-Takamaru
-Ashley
-Prince of Sablé

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, the idea of a character being born from a successful Kickstarter campaign and rose up high enough in the world to join Smash Bros. would be pretty inspirational for indie devs.

StormC

Smash Hero
Goku is far from a gaming icon. Having a bunch of releases doesn't make you a huge impact on gaming.
Of course he isn't. But his games have been more popular, successful and longstanding than most licensed properties in the industry. I'm not advocating for Goku to come in but I think he'd make more sense than a flash in the pan guy like Shovel Knight, if I had to pick either or.

He's no Sonic or Mega Man, but ~40 million cumulative sales is nothing to sneeze at, compared to something from Kickstarter.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Of course he isn't. But his games have been more popular, successful and longstanding than most licensed properties in the industry. I'm not advocating for Goku to come in but I think he'd make more sense than a flash in the pan guy like Shovel Knight, if I had to pick either or.

He's no Sonic or Mega Man, but ~40 million cumulative sales is nothing to sneeze at, compared to something from Kickstarter.
By that logic Goku has more reason to be in Smash than characters from most Nintendo IPs let alone third party indies...

D

Deleted member

Who cares who's more "deserving" anyway, they are not gonna be in the game regardless of sales,kickstarters or whatever.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The hard work wasn't meant to be be trolling. It's something I made to produce discussion here. Definitely not a realistic roster at all.
(I'll be honest I got pretty brain dead by the time I got to the characters of Apple, Microsoft, and Sony. :9)

Speaking of the roster I made. What are choices that are good and bad.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The hard work wasn't meant to be be trolling. It's something I made to produce discussion here. Definitely not a realistic roster at all.
(I'll be honest I got pretty brain dead by the time I got to the characters of Apple, Microsoft, and Sony. :9)

Speaking of the roster I made. What are choices that are good and bad.
I couldn't recognize a bunch of the characters. If you give a full list I'll give critique

StormC

Smash Hero
By that logic Goku has more reason to be in Smash than characters from most Nintendo IPs let alone third party indies...
Most people hold non-Nintendo characters to higher standards than actual Nintendo ones.

I'm just saying, DBZ games aren't obscure or unpopular like some here seem to think. Few licensed franchises have the success and legacy they do.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I know that DBZ games are a big deal. However, I believe that at the very least, Shovel Knight is as big a deal.
Especially in recent years.

Also worth nothing, I don't think DBZ games would have that much of a success or legacy if they weren't also thriving off the success and legacy of the TV show and manga.

D

Deleted member

I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
- Takamaru
- Dark Samus
- Riki :awesome:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I know that DBZ games are a big deal. However, I believe that at the very least, Shovel Knight is as big a deal.
Especially in recent years.

Also worth nothing, I don't think DBZ games would have that much of a success or legacy if they weren't also thriving off the success and legacy of the TV show and manga.
I think this is a massive, huge logical fallacy. Shovel Knight is nothing compared to DBZ. Why do you think so many people ask for Goku in Smash? DBZ is huge, and there's a lot of popular DBZ games as well. I'm sorry, but Shovel Knight is an ant compared to DBZ, it doesn't come anywhere close. Shovel Knight hasn't even topped 1m sales yet. http://nintendoeverything.com/shovel-knight-has-sold-over-700000-copies/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think this is a massive, huge logical fallacy. Shovel Knight is nothing compared to DBZ. Why do you think so many people ask for Goku in Smash? DBZ is huge, and there's a lot of popular DBZ games as well. I'm sorry, but Shovel Knight is an ant compared to DBZ, it doesn't come anywhere close. Shovel Knight hasn't even topped 1m sales yet. http://nintendoeverything.com/shovel-knight-has-sold-over-700000-copies/
DBZ =/= DBZ games
DBZ games are a dime a dozen, and are largely successful only because of the TV show and manga they're based on.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Goku being in a celebration of video games would be as out of place as Mario in a movie hall of fame or Shaq in a football game.

:yeahboi:

D

Deleted member

We all know who's the best Anime character for smash guys :troll:

Anyway, i have a question ¿if you had to give your most wanted character a Final Smash, what would it be and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
You know what? I don't get how people ask for Goku. He's not from the best selling manga, that being One Piece iirc and although I'm not too sure, I he's from the best anime either
One Piece is #1 in Japan, but never really made it big in the west like DBZ did.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Speaking of Goku, I'd like to mention that apparently the Japanese (miiverse) community freely mentions any Manga/Anime characters while no one would criticize on their choices.

Maybe because there's no "video game character" restriction/mention in Japanese.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We all know who's the best Anime character for smash guys :troll:
Your next line is:
Bandana Dee: Megaton Punch as a tribute to his first appearance
Ridley: Omega Ridley as Meta Ridley is much more fitting as an alt
Isaac: Judgment because nukes are cool
I forgot what I'd give K.Rool
Bandana Dee: Megaton Punch as a tribute to his first appearance
Ridley: Omega Ridley as Meta Ridley is much more fitting as an alt
Isaac: Judgment because nukes are cool
I forgot what I'd give K.Rool

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Three assist trophies?

Takamaru- I've mainly backed this character over the years because I really want to see what they would do with a revival of his franchise. In the past decade, Nintendo has done a fantastic job with revivals and I would like to see this trend continue. Wario Land: Shake It, Punch Out, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Kid Icarus Uprising were all top notch games and I think the Mysterious Murasame Castle has a lot of potential with a modern revival.

Ashley- The idea of a spell caster who can affect people's statuses has a lot of appeal to me. During the early SSB4 speculation days, I drew a lot of comics with her, Villager, and Waluigi together and the appeal of her eventually joining the cast has grown with me as time has passed. Also, I feel like Wario Ware deserves another rep and she's a lot less of a blank slate than most of the cast of those games.

Waluigi- Just a character that I think would be pure fun to play as. I don't care if there's already a billion Mario characters or if he's a spinoff character with little real importance, I still think he'd be great in a Smash roster. This is someone that I want for entirely selfish reasons.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Most people hold non-Nintendo characters to higher standards than actual Nintendo ones.

I'm just saying, DBZ games aren't obscure or unpopular like some here seem to think. Few licensed franchises have the success and legacy they do.
So, in that case let's put Mickey Mouse in Smash, since he has more popularity and notability than even Mario...

the point isn't about whether or not they are unpopular or obscure, it's the fact that Dragon Ball Z doesn't get it's notability from Video Games and that the Video Games are only as popular as they because of the success of the Anime...

A line has to be drawn somewhere and despite how popular Goku is, he has less of a chance than the most obscure video game characters simply because he isn't one...

Anyway, i have a question ¿if you had to give your most wanted character a Final Smash, what would it be and why?

I don't think there's any need to really discuss any reasons for Midna's Final Smash....heck even her True Form could use this for her Final Smash if she made it instead of her Imp form...

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
-Lyn (Obvious choice)
-Dark Samus (One of the few Metroid characters that is different from a samus playstyle)
-Dillon (Cause hes cool...)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I can't believe you guys were seriously discussing Goku's merits in Smash. His inclusion in Blue's roster pretty much discredits it.

If non-Nintendo characters get into Smash, they should be video game characters first and foremost. I don't need to elaborate on this.

Aside from that Blue's roster suffers from two major problems:

One is that his mission to try to please everyone has sacrificed the theming to Smash's roster, which is "Nintendo first and foremost, with incredibly notable third-party characters as guests." That should mean we don't have too many third-parties but Blue has 52 third-party characters in there, along with Goku. If a new Smash game came out with a roster like that, even a big Smash fan like myself would be pretty disgusted and call the game makers sellouts for straying really far from the "Nintendo" theme. I don't care that Blue's roster has a ton of my wants in there, I think most casual onlookers who suddenly come across this roster would be more amused than excited, laughing at its absurdity. There's an integrity to the inclusions and exclusions of characters in Smash rosters, and while some of them might have been debatable, it's undeniable that for the most part, being really selective with who gets in Smash has helped it command a sort of respect that would be lost by including everyone willy-nilly.

The second major problem is that I question whether Blue has played most of Nintendo's games, or if he probably just lurked in character support threads to learn about these potential choices secondhand, or ask who they would like to see with those little surveys he's been posting around the place. Firsthand experience with Nintendo's titles is ideal in thinking about who'd be fun or cool to see in Smash, and also determining who is okay to leave out. The latter point is saying that restraint is very important as well. Ignoring Blue's questionable size and choices for third-parties, Nintendo's roster seems like either a bunch of tokens (lots of retro characters that are otherwise not really noteworthy, like Bubbles) to fill in a believed niche in Smash rosters, existing franchise inclusions that feel forced to "complete" a set (did we really need Slippy and Peppy included JUST to finish the playable Star Fox team?), existing franchise inclusions that try to "complete" a series that will most likely continue to make new installments that will each keep introducing more characters (Pokémon and Fire Emblem's characters in Blue's roster probably won't completely satisfy everyone since both are ongoing series--what about characters from games after Pokémon X and Y or Fire Emblem: Fates?), joke inclusions (Jumpman? Really? Also Nintendog is just a regular dog), and despite the size of the roster trying to please everyone there's still a notable absence for many fan-favorites (Despite Dr. Mario being in his roster, Blue neglected other notable Mario spin-off characters like Paper Mario and Waluigi, Wario still has no extra characters from either Wario Land or even WarioWare like Captain Syrup or Ashley, and Metroid has no Prime characters, not even Dark Samus). I think every single one of these issues would have been solved if Blue got more firsthand experience with Nintendo's games and got a feel for himself, after getting some game experience, who feels "worthy" to be in Smash and who is okay to leave out with no real harm done. This is why I don't make too many rosters anymore because I know trying to make one with characters from games I haven't even played will make for some discrepancies among franchises and such. Instead I simply express my own wants and don't try to pretend I know better about a franchise's inclusions than someone who is actually a legitimate fan of that franchise. I know it's a leap of logic and a huge, most likely very mean assumption to say Blue hasn't played many of the games of the characters he has in his roster, but as fans of some of the series he included in playable character form, I can tell it was at least somewhat the case.

A lot of Blue's inclusions are really cool, I'll give him that. Quote, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Black Mage, Wonder Red, Blaziken, Isaac, Samurai Goroh, Ganon, Muddy Mole, and Prince Sable all would make me very happy. At the end of the day though, the roster feels like a mother who usually isn't home trying to make her kids happy for their birthday, but relying mostly on assumptions about their interests since she's been unable to spend enough time with them. It's completely understandable, since I don't expect everyone to play every Nintendo game ever made, but if your ultimate goal is to please everyone, the only way a huge goal like that is actually possible is to go and do that. Otherwise, don't try to please everyone, because that's probably impossible anyway.

This has been a review of BluePikmin11's roster by EdgeTheLucas. Carry on if you have no interest in what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom