• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Let's have a small discussion.

(Warning: Big post)

Which 5 Characters (from a Director's standpoint) will be the next DLC characters?

Erase everything you think of DLC characters right now. Get rid of all the bias, good? Good.

Here we will have a conversation on who will be the next 5 characters as DLC, but the catch is you need to get yourself in the shoes of Masahiro Sakurai. Who would Sakurai decide to be DLC?

Rules:

1. 2 characters have to be ballot characters that have clear representation by the community
2. If you respond to someone else's thoughts, be calm about it please
3. Describe why each character would be in

Ex:
1. King K. Rool
- Has a clear winning in the ballot so far
- Model already in game
- Highly requested character in the past

2. Isaac
- Has a clear community behind him in the ballot
- Has a model that needs a few touch ups
- Could lead to a potentially interesting move set, something unlike any character thus far

3. Wolf
- Another character that could be ported over from Brawl
- Model already in game
- Could use Fox as a base for his specials if coding doesn't go well from porting Brawl -> Smash 4
- Advertise the new Star Fox

4. Rhythm Heaven rep
- Rhythm Heaven icon in game
- Has a Smash Run enemy (Ice Climbers had one as well since they were in the Wii U version at a point)
- Sakurai loves the franchise
- 3DS game out in Japan, could advertise the game to the US with it

5. Paper Mario
- Highly requested character since Brawl
- Trophy in game, could use as a base
- Advertise Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam with him

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Let's have a small discussion.

(Warning: Big post)
So is it small or big?

---

Anyway, if for real, I wouldn't really think there's enough time to make 5 more of them. Assuming they're really all made since Mewtwo is announced DLC, that means 8 months or 2month/char. (Not to mention 3 of them appeared in older installments so making animations for them are easier than ever, and Ryu pretty much has his whole moveset from Street Fighter games), so if the upcoming characters aren't
  1. A veteran, which saves time from thinking of moveset/animations;
  2. A clone newcomer of the current character, which can save time but is highly frowned upon;
  3. Preplanned, but unfinished, which takes fewer time thinking of the rest unfinished parts; or
  4. From a fighting game/a game that gives the character a full moveset already,
They'd take much longer.

Not to mention the game has also almost reached its first anniversary just by making the DLCs, and Sakurai already mentioned he can't keep the ever shrinking team forever, it's mostly impossible for them do spend another 2*5=10+months on making DLCs.

Let's do meth... uh math again:
Q1. How much time actually does Sakurai have left? (By estimation)​
First of all, we know that we at least have the ballot, that is 4 months from the last wave, that means they at least have 4 months to develop stuff, and since they need time to make post-ballot characters, but they most likely won't last longer than, like 1.5 year from release of the game (pure guess, but that's a valid upper limit no?), or 18 (1.5 years) - 8 (DLCs) = 10 months left. This is the highest, but very unlikely time we can get, so take the geometrical average from the boundaries, aka ~6 months most likely.

Q2. How many characters can be made within these 6.32456.... months? (By estimation again, it's not like we can have alternate methods right?)​
Assuming those that fits any of the above criteria would take as much as the 4 DLCs given, that is 2 months, we can really make 3 of these characters from the time we have (Wolf, Pichu, Snake?)

However, that would be obviously unsatisfactory, since we forgot the existence of the ballot. All of these are plausible ballot choices, but it's impossible that they will all be veterans, and that would probably cause an outrage from the fans. That means we need at least one ballot winner, who, most likely than not, is a newcomer. The question is, how much time will this newcomer take? (Also we can be assure there's another character which for now let's say Wolf)

If this newcomer isn't a clone (which people dislike), a fighting game character (Ryu is enough), unfinished (RH rep maybe, but we don't know), then it would take time for:
  • Outlook design
  • Moveset design
  • Taunt/other animation design
  • 3rd Party agreements (if any), and, for all characters even vets:
  • Character balancing
  • The animation programming
We don't know how much time exactly this takes, so assume all designs take up to 1 month, and the agreement an extra 1 month (unless the character is a 2nd rep from the current parties). That means a newcomer will take ~3-4 month depending on their ownership, which means only one of them is possible if we are to keep our veteran, and at most 2 1st party newcomers taking away the vet.

Just a short sidenote about the "several" wording in the column, while yes it technically means somewhere above 3, we can't say how many he really meant, since 1. the overall vagueness given already and 2. things don't have to be literal.

Now taking away the vet will probably make fans angry, so it has to be kept. That means we can have at most one newcomer from the ballot (or maybe the vet also from ballot but who knows) from this rough calculation.

But, there are a few flaws in this calculation:
  1. The time left is only the "most likely situation", while higher/lower time is possible.
  2. The time needed to make a character actually varies, even if the said character is a veteran.
So maybe we should do a upper-lower boundary of the results.

Q3. How many time does Sakurai have left? (best case scenario)​
This is pretty much answered already: 10. Again this might be a bit of a stretch, but let's say it's possible.
Q4. Hence, how many characters can be made? (best case scenario)​
Again, Wolf returning is inevitable, but what if he actually had a lower development time?... can it be? I mean if he returns, there's likely the Smash Taunt returning as well and... stuff happens.

Anyway, assume Wolf was actually developed a bit during the original game or sometime in the DLC developments, so Wolf takes just 1.5 month. Then there's 8.5 months left.

The time needed for a newcomer could be shrunk, such as the character has half of his moveset in original game, so planning moves are much easier. They take 2.5 months on average. And agreements may be trimmed if two characters come from the same third party, or be easier due to Nintendo having worked with the series before already, etc. That gives ~3 newcomers. This gives us closer to the "5" (we still just get 4 tho) target in the original topic, but this is already the very limit of what it could be. I'd say having 2 total more DLC is most likely, but it's certainly possible we get a few more. The things is, probably not 5.

If I've not stated clearly enough, Wolf + something from the ballot would be my choice of character if I were the director.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently Splatoon is getting a huge content dump on August 8th so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Nintendo Direct shortly before this. I'm still holding out for a surprise character announcement alongside tournament mode and the N64 stages.

D

Deleted member

Okay guys, let's play a game:
You have to Choose 3 characters who are Assist Trophies and make them Playable.
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Considering everyone's in a damn panic because he's not in yet, I'm sure it would.
It's mostly due to people believing that after:4lucas:&:4feroy:, there would be no more pre-ballot characters and that Wolf was never considered.

Don't believe Sakurai, that's what we kept saying for years. He can change his mind on a dime

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
That's easy!!!!
-Midna
-Dark Samus
-Takamaru (after the first two you can pretty much put anyone in the third spot)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's mostly due to people believing that after:4lucas:&:4feroy:, there would be no more pre-ballot characters and that Wolf was never considered.

Don't believe Sakurai, that's what we kept saying for years. He can change his mind on a dime
Sakurai changes his mind on things easily. Just like how the Xbone went from 'used games are filth' to 'I ****ING LOVE USED GAMES!'. Xbone is owned by Microsoft. Banjo Kazooie is also owned by Microsoft. Banjo Kazooie confirmed. Hey, Microsoft is easier to work with than SE considering DK64's Jetpak

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
1. Midna
2. Midna
3. MIDNA

...in all seriousness, though...
Midna and Takamaru are the only ones I'd choose. I can't think of a third character who deserves the promotion as much as them.
If you don't like Midna, substitue her for one of the other Zelda ATs (esp. Skull Kid)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
1. Midna
2. Midna
3. MIDNA

...in all seriousness, though...
Midna and Takamaru are the only ones I'd choose. I can't think of a third character who deserves the promotion as much as them.
If you don't like Midna, substitue her for one of the other Zelda ATs (esp. Skull Kid)
I expected Midna, Skull Kid and Ghirahim as your choices

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I expected Midna, Skull Kid and Ghirahim as your choices
Despite being a huge fan of him I don't think Ghirahim is a great representative of the series that much, so I think more important characters from Zelda and other series should come first. However I think Midna SHOULD, at some point, be on the roster, and to a lesser extent Skull Kid.
I think that there should be a Zelda character representing every major game/era in the series.

Same with every other series. I don't want Zelda to get special treatment just because I like it the most.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Tingle, Waluigi, Andross

Tingle represents the very odd and gay world of Hyrule.
Waluigi adds to the zaniness of the Mario World.
Andross (with a body) would be a much more flavorful and different Star Fox character than the usual space animal with reflector, gun, rocket boost, ect.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well gay as in constantly happy... of course.

But in all seriousness, Zelda games are particuarly fun for me because of the oddball characters scattered about the land. Tingle would represent that slightly off vibe that most characters seem to possess.

So? Did I nail it? How would you react to a roster like this?
It has many good choices, but also many very bad choices (especially Goku, all characters owned by Sony or Microsoft, and most third-parties). The amount of bad ones outweights the good ones.

0/10 13 Pokemon and none of them is Gengar.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
R.I.P. Hard work on making a roster that summarizes gaming and Nintendo history as a whole.
You'd have to have Valve characters in there like the Heavy, Chell and Gordon Freeman before saying that.
Thoughts inbound.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
R.I.P. Hard work on making a roster that summarizes gaming and Nintendo history as a whole.
It doesn't though. It just throws together a list of characters without a thought to franchise's in particular.
Like, seriously, when Microsoft and Sony are better represented in Smash Bros. then, you've got a problem.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So apparently Dark Samus/Metroid Prime isn't apart of gaming history but Goku/Dragon Ball Z is?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Dude on the end of the first row is a no
Fake mario is a no ( oh that's Jumpman, wait, what?)
Dude on the end of the third row is a no
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Meowth, Pichu, Blaziken, Zoroark and Hawlucha are nopes
K.K,Nook, and Isabell are nopes
Louie is a no
Dude next to Shulk is a no
Bubbles, dudes before and after him are noes, as well as the priestess and the caveman kid. Sukepon is cool, the dude next to it is a no.
Lip, Isaac, and Chibi can stay
Marshall, Karateman, Art guy, Pushmo, Dillon, Monita, Diplomacy has failed, and waifu can stay
Tails, no, Knuckles, eh, Shadow, maybe, Eggman, yes, Bayonetta, yes, VF guy, no, Black mage, yes, Cloud, no, Lara, no, Slime, yes, Key Pit, no, red goku, no.

Dig Dug yes, that's a ship..., NOPE, yes to grandpa, No to big sword man, NOPE to the digimon, okay to Frogger, Yes to Simon, yes to White Bomberman, yes to SNAKE!!!!, okay to Layton, and No to Yokai watch cat.
No to Wright, thing next to him, Assassin's creed, and the Dance dance woman
No to, Space invader, angry bird, and the rest of the row, including Son Goku.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll start this one:
-WALUIGI WAA
-Ghirahim
-Takamaru
GO!
- Ashley
- Takamaru
- Lyn

There we go, I'm happy~ :3

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Mario series (+ Yoshi and Wario) - fine but needs more Waluigi (Sports/Party) and Fawful or Chippy/Starlow (Mario and Luigi)
Game and Watch - Can't really add anything new to G&W
Hanafuda - Pushing it. A lot.
DK series - Jumpman is unnecessary.
Zelda series - Needs characters outside of the main Triforce of characters like Impa and Midna.
Metroid series - Add in Sylux and Dark Samus and it's perfect. Rundas would be Icing on the cake
Kid Icarus - Fine but needs Viridi or Medusa.
Fire Emblem - Azura, Anna and Tiki would be my preferred picks over just Corrin.
Star Fox - As much as I want to hit Slippy, just no. I'm content with gimping my self against bosses by shooting him down.
Punch-Out!! - It's fine.
Kirby - It's fine but could use Magolor
F-Zero - needs Black Shadow
Pokemon - Replace Blaziken with Sceptile and it's passable for me.
Animal Crossing - It's alright.
Mother - Would rather have Porky or Giegue over Ninten
Pikmin - Couldn't we condense all Captains into Olimar's alts and have the Plasm Wraith instead?
Xenoblade - Replace Cross with Elma.
Retros - They're fine.
Other Nintendo series - Iffy on a few (Kawashima and Nintendog) but largely alright
SEGA - Cut the Sonic series to Sonic and Eggman. SEGA could use some other ips like Alex Kidd, Skies of Arcadia and Golden Axe
SE - Take out Cloud, Lara Croft and Sora then it'd be OK. Maybe throw SMRPG a bone and have Geno.
Namco - They're alright.
Konami - They're fine.
Level-5 - Fine
Capcom - They're fine though I'd like to see Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe.
Ubisoft - Assassin's Creed and Just Dance are unnecessary.
Indies - Meh
Other third parties - Aside from Space invaders I'm going to say NO. Especially to CoD soldier and the Sony/MS characters.
Goku - Throw Superman in there Nonononononononono!
Mii - Fine
...I think I see the Green Goblin in there...
I think that's a WoW character and not the Green Goblin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom