• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I would prefer Excitebiker as a retro character for the next Smash over Takamaru, if one is included at all. I would like them both a lot, but if it comes down to one, I think Excitebiker represents a bigger game with a lot more popularity. If Takamaru is also included, I'll be thrilled though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think we should have three more blue-haired swordsmen!

Also, every non-blue-haired swordsman should have their hair colour changed!

:troll:

DoctorSaki

Banned via Administration
To me, besides probably Pit, each retro character in Smash were chosen to represent a particular era or line of hardware.

Mr. G&W reps the Game & Watch line, R.O.B reps the peripheral of the same name, Duck Hunt represents the NES Zapper and its associated "Light Gun Series", and the Ice Climbers repped the one-off "Action Series" games (Balloon Fight, Urban Champion) that were released from 1984-1985.

As for Pit, I feel like his inclusion had more to do with Kid Icarus's cult following rather than "well i gotta arbitrarily add a retro character each game ahaha". Like Wario or Dedede, Pit was a popular and requested choice, more so than other retro characters like Takamaru.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update
Hey Brandon, how about stop hating us and GET ON SKYPE ALREADY!!

Troykv

Smash Master
I've already posted my top 10 elsewhere, but the 5 I feel are most likely are as follows:

5: Rayman
4: Bandana Waddle Dee
3: Isaac
2: King K. Rool
1: Wolf

Of course I WANT BWD the most.
I only see REALLY likeable some few characters, two of them are Wolf and K. Rool.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just remembered we have another Blue-Haired Swordsmen already in the roster.
:troll:
I want to smack you for this, yet somehow I am filled with the insatiable urge to throw my arms around you and cry deeply on your shoulder.

I'm now imagining Sonic with Ike's playstyle.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I want to smack you for this, yet somehow I am filled with the insatiable urge to throw my arms around you and cry deeply on your shoulder.

I'm now imagining Sonic with Ike's playstyle.
How about Ike with Sonics speed and frame data?

And still loses to Sheik

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think the clone characters will be cut in Smash 5? I actually think Dark Pit and Lucina will be further differentiated from Pit and Marth to where they are more like semi-clones. I also think that some characters will be included this way. Daisy can be a semi-clone to Peach and use some different items, Dark Samus to Samus with some plasma effects, Alph can be upgraded and use Rock Pikmin, Dixie Kong can be similar to Diddy, and Impa could be a taller Sheik with some different properties.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Does anyone think the clone characters will be cut in Smash 5? I actually think Dark Pit and Lucina will be further differentiated from Pit and Marth to where they are more like semi-clones. I also think that some characters will be included this way. Daisy can be a semi-clone to Peach and use some different items, Dark Samus to Samus with some plasma effects, Alph can be upgraded and use Rock Pikmin, Dixie Kong can be similar to Diddy, and Impa could be a taller Sheik with some different properties.
It really depends, Dr. Mario didn't change as much due to time limitations, and the same could happen for Smash 5's pre-release development period, unless they would be saved for DLC, which contradicts the reason Sakurai was against DLC initially...at best they'd get upgraded movesets at worst relegated to alts or cut entirely...
it is a way to add more characters but it isn't a good way to do it...Sakurai is fully aware of how much the fans dislike true-clones...

D

Deleted member

I agree completely. However, there is precedent for an "old-school Nintendo" newcomer in every Smash game (barring the original) so it's easy to speculate a similar character for the next game.
None of which being to fill some "old-school" quota with the sole exception of the Ice Climbers.
That's what I'm getting at.

The likes of Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, and Excitebiker are not in competition with each other for their potential addition any more than they were with Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, R.O.B., or Duck Hunt when they were being included (though they were in competition with the Ice Climbers). They will be equally judged based on their own merits, not what one has over the other.

Not to mention being a retro Nintendo character is a huge merit in and of itself, as the NES is what made Nintendo so huge in the first place. The Punch-Out!! series wouldn't have been nearly as known without the Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and the arcade original.
Being "retro" isn't much of a merit to Smash, otherwise the roster would be flooded with characters that fit the description while fitting all other criteria.
Even going by your Punch-Out example, it wasn't the arcade original or the NES/Famicom game that influenced Sakurai to consider Little Mac; it was the more recent Wii game that came out after Brawl.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Excitebiker and Balloon Fighter would be far better choices than Takamaru.
They have merits for their inclusion other than being "retro", namely a 5 game series and a big legacy with frequent references respectively.

D

Deleted member

Whether or not a character is more "deserving" =/= whether or not the character holds more "merit" as a fighter in Smash.

Thinking back at it, I realize that the two kind of sound the same.
What I'm referring to as holding more "merit" is fitting the criteria for non-last minute clone newcomers more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
Alph's a swordsman? :p

Also if you count disjoints of his Pikmin aerials. His f-air looks similar to Lucina's. :troll:
They have merits for their inclusion other than being "retro", namely a 5 game series and a big legacy with frequent references respectively.
Forgive me if I have misread your statements, but this is what they're looking like to me:

"Excitebiker and Balloon Fighter would be better DLC choices of retro character to have than Takamaru because their games have more impacts."

Merits alone should not determine whether said characters would be more popular than the other as DLC that people like. It just doesn't work if it's the only argument to present. What about the more important factors like how the characters would play and how people would view them?

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I would honestly rather have Balloon Fighter than Takamaru. For Iwata.
this. plus, translating assist trophies into characters in the same game feels odd. Takamaru will be given the Mac promotion next game, if any.

If Smash is so curious about sword movements and how to make them interesting, kindly look at Soul Calibur

Calane

Smash Ace
I disagree. I feel that Takamaru works better as a fighter in Smash and has much more to work with than either of those characters. Sure, you can come up with moves for anyone, but with those two, a lot of them would have to be made up (or be attacks they don't actually do in their own game). Takamaru already has plenty of weapons and attacks to work with, plus, he's just cooler than both of them (in my opinion, anyway).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Takamaru AND Excitebike are both pretty likely for the next Smash imo.
Excitebike fills the exact same niche as Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and ROB.
Whereas Takamaru's inclusion will probably be based on requests.

I wonder which characters will be the most requested ones for next game, if the current ones Wolf and K. Rool get in as DLC? The safest bets are probably Ice Climbers and Inkling.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I would honestly rather have Balloon Fighter than Takamaru. For Iwata.
"For Iwata" and "muh retro" feel pretty much like the only two reasons for Balloon Fighter I ever hear.

The former is a terrible reason. I'm all for commemorating Iwata but adding a character whose main gimmick is for all intents and purposes taken by Villager just for his memory is a terrible idea. Do a trophy of Iwata's Mii, dedicate the next Direct to him, do something, sure. But don't do this. As for "retro", I personally agree that Takamaru is the best choice, though I don't care much for any of the three being discussed.

Personal Pet Peeve: I think "For Iwata" reasoning is in reality simply obnoxious. It feels like an attempt to cash in on his passing and the fact people feel the need to use it to bulk up the list of reasons for including a character just highlights how few reasons they actually have. This is mainly towards Balloon Fighter but there are a couple of others. Someone did mention it in the KKR thread with regards to Iwata loving DKC and having the soundtrack on his iPod but this was thankfully shut down very quickly.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"For Iwata" and "muh retro" feel pretty much like the only two reasons for Balloon Fighter I ever hear.

The former is a terrible reason. I'm all for commemorating Iwata but adding a character whose main gimmick is for all intents and purposes taken by Villager just for his memory is a terrible idea. Do a trophy of Iwata's Mii, dedicate the next Direct to him, do something, sure. But don't do this. As for "retro", I personally agree that Takamaru is the best choice, though I don't care much for any of the three being discussed.

Personal Pet Peeve: I think "For Iwata" reasoning is in reality simply obnoxious. It feels like an attempt to cash in on his passing and the fact people feel the need to use it to bulk up the list of reasons for including a character just highlights how few reasons they actually have. This is mainly towards Balloon Fighter but there are a couple of others. Someone did mention it in the KKR thread with regards to Iwata loving DKC and having the soundtrack on his iPod but this was thankfully shut down very quickly.
I agree with this completely .
If we truly wanted to honour Iwata, instead of asking for a character in his memory, we should instead take the time to appreciate all of the Fighters that never would have made it in Smash Bros., or possibly never even existed, without Iwata.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I am a big fan Excitebike x Mach Rider idea where we basically but take what they individually have and put it together as one fighter like Duck Hunt and all the Zapper Games

Mach Rider has all the action, you can do the explode-y thing, drop oil cans, some sort of laser gun and or knife and what not

But Excitebike has all the flash and the tricks that can make all of the aerials and basic attacks

Mixing these two together for a single fighter seems like a great idea

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's a no-brainer idea to incorporate ideas of Mach Rider and Excitebike together. The problem is choosing which one to actually be the character.
I chose Excitebike over Mach Rider because

- Excitebike is actually a series, one of the most prominent series not represented with a character yet I might add
- The idea of a character fighting with motorcross tricks more naturally to me to a character simply riding a motorbike, rather than Mach Rider's bulky gun-cycle.
- Excitebike can also pull from Excitebots and Excite Truck in their moveset.

It's a no-brainer idea to incorporate ideas of Mach Rider and Excitebike together. The problem is choosing which one to actually be the character.

- Excitebike is actually a series, one of the most prominent series not represented with a character yet I might add
- The idea of a character fighting with motorcross tricks more naturally to me to a character simply riding a motorbike, rather than Mach Rider's bulky gun-cycle.
What about a combination of them? It could be called Excitemach Bikerider. :troll:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Mach Rider is a Kamen Rider, so I prefer him,. However, there is absolutely no dening that Exciebiker is more iconic

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What about a combination of them? It could be called Excitemach Bikerider. :troll:
10/10 shoo-in material here.

Though the idea of combining two different ideas that aren't connected to each other (unlike
the Light Gun games for Duck Hunt) seems strange. Though Sakurai had done crazier things before.

10/10 shoo-in material here.

Though the idea of combining two different ideas that aren't connected to each other (unlike
the Light Gun games for Duck Hunt) seems strange. Though Sakurai had done crazier things before.
The combination thing was a joke (I mean the idea of combining the characters together, not the moveset combination idea). If they had choose one of them to represent both, they'd probably go with Excitebiker, as he's more iconic, although I prefer Mach Rider personally.

Though I'd love to see Mach Rider and Excitebiker on a tandem bike. :troll:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it would be nice to have Alice from Balloon Kid get in Smash to represent the Balloon Fight series. She could have costumes based on Balloon Fighters and Balloon Fight Enemies. I always wanted a Pencilvania stage and it would be the second Balloon Fight stage.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Now that I feel that I am going to get another Super Heavyweight in K. Rool, I think I would like to see Dixie as well.

Toad and Waluigi would also excite me.

With third party, I think Cloud (which I highly doubt, a Moogle, and Scorpion from MK would also do it for me.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Well, that's not the real question, you could easily give one an alt of the other.
The REAL question would be who's the FACE ala :4olimar:/:4alph:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom