• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Excitebiker vs Mach Rider on Death Battle. Just imagine the rage or facts from these characters if it were real.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy, but the way I see it Black Mage is the best fit to represent Square Enix.
Of course, if not for the "no guns" I'd say we look outside Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, because Lara Croft would be a viable character as well.
Though still not as much as Black Mage.

Every time SE gets brought up I will always bring up Agnes Oblige

I mean just look at all this moveset potential
  • Freelancer
  • Monk
  • White Mage
  • Black Mage
  • Knight
  • Thief
  • Merchant
  • Spell Fencer
  • Time Mage
  • Ranger
  • Summoner
  • Valkyrie
  • Red Mage
  • Salve-Maker
  • Performer
  • Pirate
  • Ninja
  • Swordmaster
  • Arcanist
  • Spiritmaster
  • Dark Knight
  • Templar
  • Conjurer
  • Vampire
Of course I like Edea ore but Agnes is the face of the series

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Every time SE gets brought up I will always bring up Agnes Oblige

I mean just look at all this moveset potential
  • Freelancer
  • Monk
  • White Mage
  • Black Mage
  • Knight
  • Thief
  • Merchant
  • Spell Fencer
  • Time Mage
  • Ranger
  • Summoner
  • Valkyrie
  • Red Mage
  • Salve-Maker
  • Performer
  • Pirate
  • Ninja
  • Swordmaster
  • Arcanist
  • Spiritmaster
  • Dark Knight
  • Templar
  • Conjurer
  • Vampire
Of course I like Edea ore but Agnes is the face of the series
Alternis Dim AT or bust

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Banjo-Kazooie
Chibi-Robo
Razputin (Psychonauts) (prolly a ness/lucas clone to an extent, but still pretty neat)
Gordon Freeman (Very Unlikely, but still possible) (could use the Gravity gun and Crowbar)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Banjo-Kazooie
Chibi-Robo
Razputin (Psychonauts) (prolly a ness/lucas clone to an extent, but still pretty neat)
Gordon Freeman (Very Unlikely, but still possible) (could use the Gravity gun and Crowbar)
Unfortunately, Gordon Freeman is actually not possible.
Half-Life has never appeared on a Nintendo platform in any capacity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Banjo-Kazooie
Chibi-Robo
I don't think Psychonauts has been relevant to gamers in years, not to mention the director scored controversy points with Anita Sarkezian and his gamergate sock puppet thing

D

Deleted member

I don't think Psychonauts has been relevant to gamers in years, not to mention the director scored controversy points with Anita Sarkezian and his gamergate sock puppet thing
And more importantly, I don't recall Razputin ever appearing on a Nintendo platform.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Ah yeah, that is very true.

Suppose I was going along with the "any video game character" thing off of nintendo's Ballot website

oh well.
And more importantly, I don't recall Razputin ever appearing on a Nintendo platform.
I don't Suppose the Runner 2 DLC pack counts?

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
It's safe to say that if we were to get a third party from Square Enix it will definitely be from the Final Fantasy series.

Final Fantasy has so many iconic and interesting characters however, that no one can agree on who it will actually be. It's not easy to say with certainty who the Square Enix character would be, unlike other third party companies like Sega or Namco. At least, in my opinion. :3

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The day Cloud appears in Smash would be the day more Cloud x Link fan fiction happens. Second thought, I'd rather not think too hard about such horrible writing from fangirls. :urg:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The day Cloud appears in Smash would be the day more Cloud x Link fan fiction happens. Second thought, I'd rather not think too hard about such horrible writing from fangirls. :urg:
Love how X-ray and Vav basically summed up fan-fictions in today's episode.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Does anyone else think it'd be really cool if Marth, in future Smash games, Marth had the Fire Emblem shield on his right arm?
It wouldn't affect his moveset, but when he counters he actually parries with the shield instead of using Falchion to block. Maaaybe change one of his moves to a shield bash but that's it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Does anyone else think it'd be really cool if Marth, in future Smash games, Marth had the Fire Emblem shield on his right arm?
It wouldn't affect his moveset, but when he counters he actually parries with the shield instead of using Falchion to block. Maaaybe change one of his moves to a shield bash but that's it.
I proposed a similar idea for Lucina but in her Great Lord attire with the Butterfly shield in an attempt to give her some more changes without making her completely different from Marth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The Fire Emblem is a badge that gives Marth infinite keys in his games though, Chrom has it as a shield, Marth gets a kiddy badge. A kiddy badge that's more than for looking pretty with

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Have I shared how I think they could change Lucina's specials to differentiate herself from Marth and be based on the skills she can learn from Awakening?
If not:

B: Galeforce (Dashing Assault + Quick Draw) - Lucina readies her sword and dashes forward and slashes. Creates a blast of wind on either side of her.

Side B: Astra (Dancing Blade) - Lucina performs five quick advancing attacks. Like a fixed version of Dancing Blade, with an extra attack at the end.

Up B: Aether (Dolphin Slash + Aether) - This is my favorite. Lucina does an upward swing with her sword and flies upward, then comes back down into a two-handed downward slash.
The upward slash will heal Lucina for 2% while the falling strike shatters shields. Like Aether in Awakening, but in the opposite order. :)

Down B: Still Counter, could be replaced with Pavise/Aegis like that one Lucina mod for PM.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Have I shared how I think they could change Lucina's specials to differentiate herself from Marth and be based on the skills she can learn from Awakening?
If not:

B: Galeforce (Dashing Assault + Quick Draw) - Lucina readies her sword and dashes forward and slashes. Creates a blast of wind on either side of her.

Side B: Astra (Dancing Blade) - Lucina performs five quick advancing attacks. Like a fixed version of Dancing Blade, with an extra attack at the end.

Up B: Aether (Dolphin Slash + Aether) - This is my favorite. Lucina does an upward swing with her sword and flies upward, then comes back down into a two-handed downward slash.
The upward slash will heal Lucina for 2% while the falling strike shatters shields. Like Aether in Awakening, but in the opposite order. :)

Down B: Still Counter, could be replaced with Pavise/Aegis like that one Lucina mod for PM.
IMO, Aether should be Side-B and Galeforce should be Up-B. I mean, Galeforce is associated with Pegasus Knights(well, Dark Flier, but still a promotion of Pegesus Knight), so it sounds reasonable to have it be used for her Up-B.
As for Aether, mostly because the first part of her Aether attack(Sol) is alot like Raptor Boost and the other reason being to make one of her custom moves Luna, which would function similarly to Ike's custom Close Combat, but it would have a sword-slicing sound when it hits the opponent, since Luna involves speeding past the opponent while slashing them.

D

Deleted member

I honestly feel as if this exchange is becoming full of rhetorical questions...
But I will humour you.
They are all old Nintendo characters,
Technically true, but unlike the other three, Excitebiker isn't solely representive of the days of the past.
All :4rob: had was Gyromite and Stack-Up.
All :4duckhunt: had was Duck Hunt. And Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley if you want to go by how they represent those games as well in Smash.
:4gaw: had the Game & Watch line of handhelds from 1980 to 1991. Sure, there were the Mario-themed remakes from 1997-1999 prior to Melee, but those are just remakes.

Excitebiker has the original title, Excitebike 64, and the WiiWare title. And the Excite series in general also has the two Wii games, Excitetruck and ExciteBots.

all secret surprise characters,
This is an impossible claim at this point in time. Excitebiker literally cannot be considered part of this "niche" until after the fact.

Besides, the only latent "surprise" about Excitebiker being playable would be the fact he was outright rejected in the past (which in itself is still would not be much of a surprise because Villager broke that barrier already) and because he was initially an Assist instead of playable in the past as well (which Charizard and Little Mac had already broken the barrier for).
It would not work to the same degree as the other three, who were not discussed about previous consideration before their Smash debuts nor had roles in a previous Smash prior to their Smash debuts.

but all very unique characters
No arguments there.

from successful games, too.
:4rob: didn't have successful games.
He may have kept video games alive in the West during the Crash of '83 long enough for Mario to usher in the new era of gaming, but Gyromite and Stack-Up did not sell well.

NOTE: I have absolutely no problem with Excitebiker being in Smash if it's actually possible within reason.
I just have issue with the logic that he'd be within the same "niche" as G&W, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt when someone like Star Man would be closer to the "niche".

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Cloud and Link are such bottoms that they would have to share a fire rod.

If FF is going generic, I would prefer a moogle to a black mage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cloud is the best representative for Square Enix, since his FF7 is the most popular out of all FFs.
Cloud seems like the most likely choice to me too. Square would probably only want to add him, as it's their biggest mascot. It's not like Konami chose Simon Beltmon to appear in Brawl for example, no they choose Snake because he's overall far better known.

Anyway, had a Smash related dream some time ago. It was that aliens discovered Smash, and instantly got into developing it's metagame to proove superiority over the human race. They where all pretty much hell-bend on making Mewtwo appear Top Tier, in both Melee and Smash 4.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Cloud seems like the most likely choice to me too. Square would probably only want to add him, as it's their biggest mascot. It's not like Konami chose Simon Beltmon to appear in Brawl for example, no they choose Snake because he's overall far better known.

Anyway, had a Smash related dream some time ago. It was that aliens discovered Smash, and instantly got into developing it's metagame to proove superiority over the human race. They where all pretty much hell-bend on making Mewtwo appear Top Tier, in both Melee and Smash 4.
Well, Konami didn't choose Snake, Snake was included because Kojima petitioned for it directly. Sakurai wasn't going to consider a Konami character for the sake of it, he just added Snake because Kojima is his buddy and the two went out of their way to arrange it with their respective companies.

Your dream is fantastic. Good luck with that, aliens, I'd like to see you try it~ ;3

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No these aliens where stubborn mules. Their reaction time was way faster than any average human, so a few aliens who went total "tier *****" all where picking :foxmelee:, as he's simply the best character period. They where playing :foxmelee: as if it was TAS. In their own tier list, which they separated from the human's because they 'couldn't play the game anyway', they eventually banned :foxmelee:. :mewtwomelee: was a strict Top Tier after that, because so many aliens used him.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No these aliens where stubborn mules. Their reaction time was way faster than any average human, so a few aliens who went total "tier *****" all where picking :foxmelee:, as he's simply the best character period. They where playing :foxmelee: as if it was TAS. In their own tier list, which they separated from the human's because they 'couldn't play the game anyway', they eventually banned :foxmelee:. :mewtwomelee: was a strict Top Tier after that, because so many aliens used him.
Are you sure this wasn't some sort of weird prophecy?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If not:

For Lucina's counter just make Lai/Rush Counter the default, only her's throws the opponent forwards and we call it a reference to when she saves Chrom cause she strikes the guy in the back and he falls forward
Also the spinny thing should really be in her moveset somehow, maybe a Dair like :4sonic:&:4zss:
As well as that dash forward with the blade, change her dash attack to that

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I hear
Technically true, but unlike the other three, Excitebiker isn't solely representive of the days of the past.
All :4rob: had was Gyromite and Stack-Up.
All :4duckhunt: had was Duck Hunt. And Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley if you want to go by how they represent those games as well in Smash.
:4gaw: had the Game & Watch line of handhelds from 1980 to 1991. Sure, there were the Mario-themed remakes from 1997-1999 prior to Melee, but those are just remakes.

Excitebiker has the original title, Excitebike 64, and the WiiWare title. And the Excite series in general also has the two Wii games, Excitetruck and ExciteBots.

This is an impossible claim at this point in time. Excitebiker literally cannot be considered part of this "niche" until after the fact.

Besides, the only latent "surprise" about Excitebiker being playable would be the fact he was outright rejected in the past (which in itself is still would not be much of a surprise because Villager broke that barrier already) and because he was initially an Assist instead of playable in the past as well (which Charizard and Little Mac had already broken the barrier for).
It would not work to the same degree as the other three, who were not discussed about previous consideration before their Smash debuts nor had roles in a previous Smash prior to their Smash debuts.

No arguments there.

:4rob: didn't have successful games.
He may have kept video games alive in the West during the Crash of '83 long enough for Mario to usher in the new era of gaming, but Gyromite and Stack-Up did not sell well.

NOTE: I have absolutely no problem with Excitebiker being in Smash if it's actually possible within reason.
I just have issue with the logic that he'd be within the same "niche" as G&W, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt when someone like Star Man would be closer to the "niche".
Bruh Star Man for Smash. Everyone should check out his thread since he is da best.

Last edited:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
If we had to get Nightmare or Yoshimitsu from Bandai Namco, which one would you prefer?

I'd ultimately choose Yoshimitsu after considering the following reasons:
  • Much more interesting alternate costumes to use due to different characters taking up his name and sword
  • Eccentric personality and eccentric fighting style for a sword user. (I'd like to hear him talk to the Nintendo characters ^_^)
  • He's known for crossing over into different video game series (This doesn't really impress me much, but it's worth noting)
If Yoshimitsu does get in, there's a weird possibility he may also have M. Bison's outfit as an alternate costume.

I say "weird" because Capcom would also have to be involved if this happens.
If Nightmare got in, I might have develop this headcanon that Soul Edge and Master Core are connected, fuhuhu.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
If we had to get Nightmare or Yoshimitsu from Bandai Namco, which one would you prefer?

I'd ultimately choose Yoshimitsu after considering the following reasons:
  • Much more interesting alternate costumes to use due to different characters taking up his name and sword
  • Eccentric personality and eccentric fighting style for a sword user. (I'd like to hear him talk to the Nintendo characters ^_^)
  • He's known for crossing over into different video game series (This doesn't really impress me much, but it's worth noting)
If Yoshimitsu does get in, there's a weird possibility he may also have M. Bison's outfit as an alternate costume.

I say "weird" because Capcom would also have to be involved if this happens.
If Nightmare got in, I might have develop this headcanon that Soul Edge and Master Core are connected, fuhuhu.
Well nightmare doesn't use his sword as a copter to hover in the air, nor does he bounce with it like a pogo stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom