• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I feel Takamaru's pretty much going to be a lock for the next smash since Sakurai underestimated his popularity for this game...Then again he could make DLC for this game (along with Midna and Dark Samus....I'm allowed to dream....)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally Takamaru doesn't excite me as a playable character, but I can't deny he probably has the best chance of the remaining retros for next game;
  • Assist Trophy in Sm4sh
  • Obtained a Nintendoland minigame over many more famous individuals.
  • Samurai Warriors 3 appearance.
  • Is (most likely) the highest demanded of any retro style character in the ballot.
  • His main rival is Balloon Fighter, and Villager jacked his trademark move.
  • Is a samurai which has high western and eastern appeal.
  • Finally got his game released in the west preventing him from being Japan exclusive. Little late though.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally Takamaru doesn't excite me as a playable character, but I can't deny he probably has the best chance of the remaining retros for next game;
Forgetting someone?

Although you could argue they're not a "retro"...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I could watch that .gif all day.
I suppose Excitebike did have a Mario Kart stage too...I wonder how he and Balloon Fighter compare in the polls?
Me too, I just found it. It's so charming. :p
Anyway, I'm sure because of bandwagoning after Iwata's passing Balloon Fighter is doing better.
I'm still a bit annoyed about this in case it wasn't clear.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I reckon Takamaru could experience a Pit-style revival between now and the next Smash.

In which case, Takamaru would be all but assured for the next Smash and wouldn't really be considered a "retro" character.
Dear Kamiya,

Pleasue hurry up with Scalebound and start working on that new game for Mashpotato Samurai Takamaru.

Sincerely,

Your biggest and most civil fan.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I wouldn't call him a lock just yet, for all we know in the future, a franchise like For the Frog the Bell Tolls or Mach Rider could get a revival by Nintendo and become a huge success over Murasame Castle.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guys, we all know what character is a serious lock at this point and he's based on one of the biggest musicians in history.

Diamante locks the battle! :troll:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I wouldn't call him a lock just yet, for all we know in the future, a franchise like For the Frog the Bell Tolls or Mach Rider could get a revival by Nintendo and become a huge success over Murasame Castle.
I never said he's a lock. I said that he's all but assured if he is revived in a new game. That in itself is a pretty huge if.

Sakurai's rejected Takamaru because western fans aren't too familiar with him and he hasn't done anything significant in years, right? If he comes back in a new game, there we go: Takamaru's now a big boy.

Even if another old-school series was revived between now and the next Smash, why would that make a difference to Takamaru? Punch-Out!! and Kid Icarus both experienced successful revivals between Brawl and Smash 4. Hey presto! Little Mac and Palutena (on account of Pit already being an established veteran since Brawl). Takamaru and Mach Rider / Prince of Sablé / all three? Why the hell not?!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd like to see Mike Jones VS Takamari
A big ol East Vs West thing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Is (most likely) the highest demanded of any retro style character in the ballot.
Forgetting someone?

Although you could argue they're not a "retro"...
This is under the assumption we're getting a "retro" character for the sake of getting a "retro" character.
If Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, etc. are to be considered, they will be considered for what they bring to the table themselves, not what they bring to the table as a "retro" character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is under the assumption we're getting a "retro" character for the sake of getting a "retro" character.
If Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, etc. are to be considered, they will be considered for what they bring to the table themselves, not what they bring to the table as a "retro" character.
I agree completely. However, there is precedent for an "old-school Nintendo" newcomer in every Smash game (barring the original) so it's easy to speculate a similar character for the next game.

Not to mention being a retro Nintendo character is a huge merit in and of itself, as the NES is what made Nintendo so huge in the first place. The Punch-Out!! series wouldn't have been nearly as known without the Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and the arcade original.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I agree completely. However, there is precedent for an "old-school Nintendo" newcomer in every Smash game (barring the original) so it's easy to speculate a similar character for the next game.

Not to mention being a retro Nintendo character is a huge merit in and of itself, as the NES is what made Nintendo so huge in the first place. The Punch-Out!! series wouldn't have been nearly as known without the Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! and the arcade original.
Moreso Mike Tyson itself. There's a reason why the NES game is more popular than the Wii and SNES games, despite being the weakest in the series

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Takamaru... because we totally need more blue haired swordsman.
Yeah, he'd attack with the ignorance that goes behind these kinds of posts.

Anyways, Takamaru would be way more different from the current errr THREE blue-haired swordsman, by using Will O Wisps, knives and windmill blades.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I love it when people say something like: "Ugh ANOTHER Blue haired swordsman?!"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Takamaru barely has blue hair anyway. It's black in Smash Bros.
Passing on a character because they share two aesthetic qualities with other fighters (of which there are TWO I might add) is silly.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To me, besides probably Pit, each retro character in Smash were chosen to represent a particular era or line of hardware.

Mr. G&W reps the Game & Watch line, R.O.B reps the peripheral of the same name, Duck Hunt represents the NES Zapper and its associated "Light Gun Series", and the Ice Climbers repped the one-off "Action Series" games (Balloon Fight, Urban Champion) that were released from 1984-1985.

As for Pit, I feel like his inclusion had more to do with Kid Icarus's cult following rather than "well i gotta arbitrarily add a retro character each game ahaha". Like Wario or Dedede, Pit was a popular and requested choice, more so than other retro characters like Takamaru.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would not like Dante in Smash, ever. He has absolutely no reason.
There hasn't been a DMC on Nintendo consoles anyway, the only time he's been on Nintendo was Project X Zone.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Technically his hair is grey. And Dante in Smash would be great, just make sure we get his leader ViewtifulJoe in in there
His hair is considered Light Blue with streaks of darker blue.
We need Dexter (Green) as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I would not like Dante in Smash, ever. He has absolutely no reason.
There hasn't been a DMC on Nintendo consoles anyway, the only time he's been on Nintendo was Project X Zone.
The joke is that Wonder Blue is similar to Dante. I don't mean the actual Dante

His hair is considered Light Blue with streaks of darker blue.
We need Dexter (Green) as well.
Also Pink Bayonetta as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Oh cool, a Samurai with shurikens, kunai, lightning, fireballs, invisibility and pin wheel! WAIT HIS HAIR IS BLUE **** THAT NOISE"
I understand if people don't want 6 FE characters, but if you're going to be as petty and whine about hair I just question your criteria to what a good character is
Takamaru... because we totally need more blue haired swordsman.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I've already posted my top 10 elsewhere, but the 5 I feel are most likely are as follows:

5: Rayman
4: Bandana Waddle Dee
3: Isaac
2: King K. Rool
1: Wolf

Of course I WANT BWD the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom