• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
How is it unfair to other ballot characters? Most of the votes got in right away. Why can't they pick the easiest (easiest as in licensing) character that's ranking high in the results early on and decide to do more later? I'm not saying they have already done that, but I highly doubt they'd been sitting around twiddling their thumbs the past few months. I'm SURE they already started on SOMEONE, more likely at least two, even if they're not released until a short while after the ballot launches.
It's unfair because the ballot isn't over and there's no ranking besides fan made ones. They'll start their "picking" once the ballot closes. The team was probably working on Mii costumes and on the ever changing Mario Maker stage. If this was based on numbers alone, just typing the name of X or Y character on the ballot itself would've sufficed. Let's wait for the blasted thing to close and see if there's a message of any sort.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It's unfair because the ballot isn't over and there's no ranking besides fan made ones. They'll start their "picking" once the ballot closes. The team was probably working on Mii costumes and on the ever changing Mario Maker stage. If this was based on numbers alone, just typing the name of X or Y character on the ballot itself would've sufficed. Let's wait for the blasted thing to close and see if there's a message of any sort.
Well there aren't rankings in this ballot whatsoever.... So... Why on Earth would they wait? They're looking for suggestions, not numbers. Although numbers may play an effect, they're looking at reasons as well, and if they saw a reason they liked on a reasonable character, they could've started developing them in May for all we know.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth :Because they'd like to have ALL the suggestions they could get. Maybe a last second suggestion could actually make it in or maybe even change their minds regarding certain characters. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Bradli Wartooth Bradli Wartooth :Because they'd like to have ALL the suggestions they could get. Maybe a last second suggestion could actually make it in or maybe even chance their minds regarding certain characters. Only time will tell.
That just seems wasteful of time and resources. Actually it IS a waste of time and resources. These workers are getting paid, and I'm certain they weren't all working on the Mario Maker stage. One month into they ballot they easily had a solid read on several characters who would be the most popular. And it's not like they have to make only ONE character, so waiting for all the suggestions to make a decision is, again, wasteful. Maybe a late suggestion comes through that they like. They can make that character AFTER the character they started working on earlier in the ballot. Workers stay busy. Money isn't wasted. Last minute ballot suggestions still matter. It all makes too much sense.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
We don't know the inner workings of Sakurai's mind nor how the team works. All we can do is wait for the ballot to close and any possible message.

tabris77777

Smash Rookie
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180320122&postcount=13403
I think we're getting Wolf and Shovel Knight. I'm not crazy about the idea of the latter, but apparently the SmashBoards moderator backroom circlejerk group who got a hold of the Duck Hunt/Bowser Jr. info last Summer has a source with footage as well that they're holding onto tightly. That combined with the other reports is enough for me to think he's pretty likely at this point.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180320356&postcount=13409
It's not anything I have evidence of but I've heard from a couple of friends over at Smashboards that the moderators on there generally get leaks before others and just kind of keep them among themselves in the backroom. Shovel Knight is apparently someone they're all really confident is in the game. Their source is probably the same one as the guy from Unseen64.
Is somebody hiding something in here?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still find it odd we still haven't heard any announcements at all, but it's probably just me.

Seriously, not even a "SOMETHING'S HAPPENING TODAY" from Japan. Right...?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fudge man, anyhow Shovel Knight gets in and Isaac doesn't. I'm going to find Sakurai in Japan, kidnap him, and detain him until he gets his head out of his rear end.

He'll never see it coming :reverse:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, guys:

https://twitter.com/memourqui/status/649103862310268928

Dunno how this content got discovered already, but this is apparently all the DLC in this update.

Stages -
Super Mario Maker & Pirate Ship

Mii Fighters -
Business Suit (All)
Toad (Brawler)
Viridi (Swordfighter)
Hunter's Helm/Mail (Swordfighter)
Rathalos Helm/Mail (Swordfighter)
Fox (Gunner)
Captain Falcon (Brawler)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Interesting. I thought we already had a Captain Falcon helmet...?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Waiting for some pics or I'm not sold... though I won't be surprised if that is all we get.
Well, the bundle is literally on the e-shop right now, I'm currently purchasing it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Waiting for some pics or I'm not sold... though I won't be surprised if that is all we get.
Its literally available right now. I expected at the very least one more stage and Mii Fighter costumes and we got that. No characters this time, but according to the same guy on twitter, every character has at least one balance update.

Interesting. I thought we already had a Captain Falcon helmet...?
We already had a Samus helmet, too, but downloading Samus prior simply unlocks it immediately if you don't already have it. Probably works the same way with Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Its literally available right now. I expected at the very least one more stage and Mii Fighter costumes and we got that. No characters this time, but according to the same guy on twitter, every character has at least one balance update.
We'll see what happens with datamining, the ballot is close to being over as well so I'd expect to hear something in the next few days character wise from someone.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Actually pretty happy with the way the Toad outfit looks, and glad they went Brawler. Believe it or not I see this as a huge step above his only appearance being Peach's hapless meatshield.

Still would obviously have preferred him as his own character but this will most certainly keep me tide over for the time being.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Actually pretty happy with the way the Toad outfit looks, and glad they went Brawler. Believe it or not I see this as a huge step above his only appearance being Peach's hapless meatshield.

Still would obviously have preferred him as his own character but this will most certainly keep me tide over for the time being.
Ah, well that makes one of us.
I think it looks horrendous and doesn't do Toad any more justice at all. :/

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
After what happened with this update... Yeah, sorry, I don't buy that anybody knows Shovel Knight is coming to Smash. If Shovel Knight somehow got leaked, how the hell did NONE of this update at all get leaked? Super Mario Maker is a pretty damn big one, and no leakers ever got that at all, while Pirate Ship coming back was heavily requested/speculated, but no one thought it was coming now. Then the Mii Fighter costumes are totally different from what anyone was thinking or expecting.

I just don't see any possible way a future update like Shovel Knight got leaked, while this update went completely under the radar right up until the surprise reveal of everything.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've never believed any DLC leaks that weren't Royu. It just has nothing behind it and so far people are 0/0 for these "predictions".

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Gentlemen.

You're missing out on the big win of today:

Pirate Ship.

The prophecy has been fulfilled!

Yeah I'm still expecting some kind of reveal on Saturday.

The silence is deafening.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Gentlemen.

You're missing out on the big win of today:

Pirate Ship.

The prophecy has been fulfilled!

Yeah I'm still expecting some kind of reveal on Saturday.

The silence is deafening.
As much as I am happy for Pirate Ship, I hope they'll give it away for free like they did with Miiverse.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Nice, Viridi and toad costumes.
And pirate ship stage.

I think we're inbound for a character sometime soon in the near future.
Atleast one of the characters theyve been working on must appear somewhere high on the ballot.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
After what happened with this update... Yeah, sorry, I don't buy that anybody knows Shovel Knight is coming to Smash. If Shovel Knight somehow got leaked, how the hell did NONE of this update at all get leaked? Super Mario Maker is a pretty damn big one, and no leakers ever got that at all, while Pirate Ship coming back was heavily requested/speculated, but no one thought it was coming now. Then the Mii Fighter costumes are totally different from what anyone was thinking or expecting.

I just don't see any possible way a future update like Shovel Knight got leaked, while this update went completely under the radar right up until the surprise reveal of everything.
I think it's nice to see something Smash related not being leaked. I've been so tired of them ever since the game first got revealed at E3 2013. If no one knows nothing of the outcome of the ballot characters at all yet it makes the suprises that much sweeter. i think it just best for them to keep us somewhat out of the loop for DLC so that we can get shocked to what's going to come next. I am one of those who is somewhat doubtful that we'd get Shovel Knight but, I guess I'll take it.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think the only logic in Dixie's favor is that we've been getting multiple Mii Costumes for most of the games that got Mii Costumes. (Obviously that's not true for all cases, buuut....) For whatever reason, we only got a K. Rool costume, but a Dixie Costume would've worked perfectly fine alongside that. They elected to pass on that.

EDIT: And before you pick that apart, I know that's some flawed logic still, it just seems odd they'd make a K. Rool and not a Dixie.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I did have some confidence in the possibility of the Pirate Stage returning, and am glad it is back...I think this is pretty big in the fact that this is the first non-64 stage to return as DLC...Now I'm wondering what other stages we'll be getting in the future...(of course I'm still waiting for characters as is everyone else, but we'll see what happens in the future)

(Also Captain Falcon and Fox deconfirmed guys!!!!!)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
"Dixie is coming as DLC"
"Why?"
"Because no fighting game has DLC that doesn't include a female fighter."

Logic.
Flawless.
Logic.
UmvC3 was an update which was a complete sausage-fest, so the idea of Smash being exclusively male as far as DLC characters go isn't that implausible.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
"Dixie is coming as DLC"
"Why?"
"Because no fighting game has DLC that doesn't include a female fighter."

Logic.
Flawless.
Logic.
I identify as crocodile-kin and I'm triggered about Samurai encouraging primate privilege.

Burruni

Smash Hero
UmvC3 was an update which was a complete sausage-fest, so the idea of Smash being exclusively male as far as DLC characters go isn't that implausible.
I identify as crocodile-kin and I'm triggered about Samurai encouraging primate privilege.
I was referring to the Neogaf posts further up on this page...

"I think a couple other characters are possible, namely Dixie. It's been said before that there's almost never a fighting game with character DLC that doesn't have a female character."

No actual reason listed other than she's a somewhat iconic female character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I could name three particular female characters that could make for great DLC (see signature)...jus sayin...

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
A bit of misinformation in those posts. Mods here have apparently verified the source of the SK rumor as being legitimate (saying that it "checks out") and are "cautiously backing it." There are apparently things about the rumor that they're not at liberty to discuss. And, apparently, this source has leaked things in the past, such as the Skylanders game, the Zombi U port to other systems among other things (which actually did get leaked). There is no footage though.

Nobody is "really confident" though- even the originator of the rumor says he's not going to commit to it fully and posted it as a rumor for a reason.

I personally don't believe it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom