• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Has anyone considered the possibility that they don't release a character til the 3rd to celebrate the end of the ballot? If the character(s) is in the new update, they don't necessarily need to be made available til a later date. Sure, dataminers will find them, but is that a real concern of Sakurai?
Yes.
But considering that we had one come April, three in July, but none in August, people are expecting at least 1 to come with November.

The ballot coinciding is... just supporting the idea

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The 3rd also represents the anniversary the game came out in the US. I know that means nothing, just a fun little fact.

I heard that the DLC got leaked, you can look up "Smash Bros" on google and then go to news, and see an article posted about 8 hours ago. I'm leaving till the Update comes out now. Don't want them spoilers.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
At this point, I doubt we're getting anything other than the Mario Maker stage...

Unless they Ninja release a character. That'd be absurd though...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I do wonder why there's an update now when the ballot ends in three days (my time).

Either Sakurai has something up his magical wizard sleeves or we're extrapolating something from absolutely nothing.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Either Sakurai has something up his magical wizard sleeves or we're extrapolating something from absolutely nothing.
Which is all too possible, sadly. It just seems absurd to have a long update and an off-balance SSS if that stage is really all we're about to see.

Gonna copy and paste from nintenzone because it is relevant (ignore the abomination that is my avi. This is what happens when I get my hands on artistic tools)

This goes without saying, but prepare for absolutely nothing. It is looking more and more likely by the second we aren't getting anything today. I really dont want to see a whole bunch of rage or something that wasn't even promised. This is one of those where pessimism can save you some anger and maybe an infraction or two. So, you know, prepare for the worst and be happily surprised if you are wrong.

Burruni

Smash Hero
:138: To calm us all down, marvel at how the Omanyte emote has the face of "Dear god, what have I done?"

AND THE DAYS GO BY

WATER FLOWING UNDER GROUND

Morbi

Scavenger
Gonna copy and paste from nintenzone because it is relevant (ignore the abomination that is my avi. This is what happens when I get my hands on artistic tools)

This goes without saying, but prepare for absolutely nothing. It is looking more and more likely by the second we aren't getting anything today. I really dont want to see a whole bunch of rage or something that wasn't even promised. This is one of those where pessimism can save you some anger and maybe an infraction or two. So, you know, prepare for the worst and be happily surprised if you are wrong.
You never know, the Mario Maker stage can be content intended to hold us over until the third of October. Because Nintendo understands. They can leave us hanging dry for three months, but never three days!

But seriously, my only concern is that if we do not get anything tonight, we will have to wait until late October. I just sort of wish that they sprinkled the DLC throughout these months rather than this weird hype-wave method.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I do wonder why there's an update now when the ballot ends in three days (my time).

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

How big the fire, remains to be seen.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Where there is smoke, there is fire.

How big the fire, remains to be seen.
That's a very optimistic approach to this.

Best to start chewing so we can swallow the fact that this is actually it tomorrow. I'm just banking on some incomplete character data to be found over the next couple days.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's a very optimistic approach to this.

Best to start chewing so we can swallow the fact that this is actually it tomorrow. I'm just banking on some incomplete character data to be found over the next couple days.
To be fair, I highly doubt that ALL we are getting is the stage. We might not get costumes, we might not get another stage, and we might not any characters; however, we will probably get a balance patch! Those are always fun. Maybe we can use the updates as clues, too. Like, if Falco got buffed, clearly that means that Wolf is on the way. Or a Donkey Kong nerf could indicate King K. Rool's debut. You never know.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The 3rd also represents the anniversary the game came out in the US. I know that means nothing, just a fun little fact.

I heard that the DLC got leaked, you can look up "Smash Bros" on google and then go to news, and see an article posted about 8 hours ago. I'm leaving till the Update comes out now. Don't want them spoilers.
That's just the already proven fake 4chan leak where someone used a Shovel Knight model that Nibroc on Twitter later confirmed was his. So no, that's definitely false. That site was merely getting to it way late, long after we already knew it was fake.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, even if we don't get anything more than the Mario Maker stage tomorrow, the ballot isn't over until the 3rd, so...

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean, even if we don't get anything more than the Mario Maker stage tomorrow, the ballot isn't over until the 3rd, so...
So? What is your point, you sort of forget to type it out. Are you implying that you do believe we will get something on the third? Or are you just reminding us that the ballot is ending soon? I am confused.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's true, but it makes no sense to release one stage in a small update three days before a full update. And keeping everything in the same update? If they do that and its clearly visible, they're just BEGGING to get it all leaked.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
My bad, that was old info

That's true, but it makes no sense to release one stage in a small update three days before a full update. And keeping everything in the same update? If they do that and its clearly visible, they're just BEGGING to get it all leaked.
Wait three days before a full update?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My bad, that was old info

Wait three days before a full update?
I thought he was implying maybe on the 3rd they'd have a full update with a full wave of content; character(s), a stage, and Mii Fighter costumes. My point is that it doesn't make sense to release a small update with one stage on the 30th, then 3 days later on the 3rd release the rest of a full wave of content in a separate update. And if its only one update and they simply provide the codes to unlock more content, they'd better make it secure as hell so people can't dig out what's coming.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone think that if Nintendo releases the ballot results they might slightly alter it as a means to justify their choices - such as pushing certain 3rd party characters down as to make it look like there wasn't much support them?

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anyone think that if Nintendo releases the ballot results they might slightly alter it as a means to justify their choices - such as pushing certain 3rd party characters down as to make it look like there wasn't much support them?
Not necessarily, I do not believe that they will share the results, period. They might disclose who they are currently developing or give us an ambiguous idea of possible top contenders, but I highly doubt they will provide us with the raw data.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
They promised new characters, but them displaying the results is not a guaranteed move. In fact, I'd rather they don't show them publicly because of my guesses of what reactions from the fanbase would occur.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
They promised new characters, but them displaying the results is not a guaranteed move. In fact, I'd rather they don't show them publicly because of my guesses of what reactions from the fanbase would occur.
And the many illusions shattered of who was top/lesser voted.

It'd be an interesting move in my opinion, but one they shouldn't do anyway. The fanbase is volatile as is atm.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I can see them giving hints and their reasoning for it. Maybe even giving a screenshot of the "vote" that convinced them to choose that particular character. The site did state that the vote could be shown to the public.

I don't think there's going to be a "top" contender at all.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Maybe not, but there's been so much silence on their end, and the ballot's been a big thing coming for 6 months, I can't see them just not saying anything about it.

I highly doubt they're really concerned about datamining, but that could be a factor, we don't know. That said, whether they release it or not, I expect some kind of announcement on the 3rd.

Burruni

Smash Hero
inb4 something like this plagues the website

I can just imagine a Smash Bros. version of the Fallout 4's countdown clock.
Or the The World Ends With You one that got everyone INCREDIBLY hyped for a sequel announcement... AND INSTEAD GOT A FRIGGIN IOS PORT ANNOUNCEMENT AFTER ALL THAT BUILDUP

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I find it odd that Nintendo literally hasn't said a thing about the stage since the announcement. Like. Not even a reminder today that it comes out tomorrow. Nothing.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I find it odd that Nintendo literally hasn't said a thing about the stage since the announcement. Like. Not even a reminder today that it comes out tomorrow. Nothing.
That's a good point. STOP BEING SO QUIET, NINTENDO!

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps the announcement is coming out tomorrow instead? Maybe they do not want any server problems or something. Everyone aware of it can download it early, and, for the less initiated, they will have their reminder after we have safely purchased the stage.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I highly doubt they're really concerned about datamining, but that could be a factor, we don't know. That said, whether they release it or not, I expect some kind of announcement on the 3rd.
Either Sakurai or someone from Nintendo thanking people for participating in the Smash Ballot and that they'd be going through the suggestions at that moment and that it'd take some time to decide on which characters to pick. Once they've decided, they'd make an announcement.

and then..."Chromoboros will be released into the atmosphere ensuring chromplete global saturation."

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Either Sakurai or someone from Nintendo thanking people for participating in the Smash Ballot and that they'd be going through the suggestions at that moment and that it'd take some time to decide on which characters to pick. Once they've decided, they'd make an announcement.
An approach like that would really upset me since they released THREE characters at one time. Like if they were gonna do that, release the characters separately for God's sake. It'd easily keep fans happy because of the constant DLC influx, plus they wouldn't have needed to rush production or anything. Sigh. 3 characters was the hypest, but 0 characters for a long while after is killer on the vibes.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
It's an approach that, to me, makes the most sense. There's no way they'd have a ballot character ready as soon as the ballot closes. IF there's a character coming soon (as in by the time the ballot closes), it'd be a character chosen outside the ballot thing. Ballot characters should be released separately or in pairs.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's an approach that, to me, makes the most sense. There's no way they'd have a ballot character ready as soon as the ballot closes. IF there's a character coming soon (as in by the time the ballot closes), it'd be a character chosen outside the ballot thing. Ballot characters should be released separately or in pairs.
I don't see why not. They can easily pick the one whose at the top early on, right after they released the previous batch of characters, do Wolf, then plan the others for later so they have them all spaced out.

The ballot was at its most popular within the first month. That's when most people put in their votes.

Perhaps the announcement is coming out tomorrow instead? Maybe they do not want any server problems or something. Everyone aware of it can download it early, and, for the less initiated, they will have their reminder after we have safely purchased the stage.
The announcement will probably be before it releases. There's still time to do that. I mean, they haven't even given us a time of when the update drops yet.

Maybe not, but there's been so much silence on their end, and the ballot's been a big thing coming for 6 months, I can't see them just not saying anything about it.

Obviously they're going to talk about the ballot's end. I just can't see them delaying content from this update until the ballot ends. I figured if anything the ballot ending three days afterwards, they would've announced all the new content releasing now and also promote the ending of the ballot, then announce it was officially closed later, but they haven't said anything about Super Mario Maker or its update at all since they first announced it.

An approach like that would really upset me since they released THREE characters at one time. Like if they were gonna do that, release the characters separately for God's sake. It'd easily keep fans happy because of the constant DLC influx, plus they wouldn't have needed to rush production or anything. Sigh. 3 characters was the hypest, but 0 characters for a long while after is killer on the vibes.
Exactly. It makes zero sense. I still think they probably planned on releasing Ryu and Roy later, but dropped them at E3 due to the leak after Mewtwo came out.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I don't see why not. They can easily pick the one whose at the top early on, right after they released the previous batch of characters, do Wolf, then plan the others for later so they have them all spaced out.

The ballot was at its most popular within the first month. That's when most people put in their votes.
That'd be unfair to other ballot characters and the ballot itself isn't a popularity contest; it's more of a glorified suggestion box. Chances are this update only features the Mario Maker stage and maybe some Mii Fighter costumes. Well, we'll know soon enough once the dataminers dissect the update.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey, anyone with working knowledge of the Japanese language... if you're bored enough to help me with working a bit of translation on something, I'd appreciate the help. PM be.... granted I'll be heading to bed in an hour, so it'd be moreso a project for about 12 hours from now.

Also, woo, tomorrow's the... update. Did we ever dig anything up out of the August update.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Isn't the maitenance at 10:30 pm PST? A lot of times have been thrown around, but I've been told it's 2:30 PM in Japan.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That'd be unfair to other ballot characters and the ballot itself isn't a popularity contest; it's more of a glorified suggestion box. Chances are this update only features the Mario Maker stage and maybe some Mii Fighter costumes. Well, we'll know soon enough once the dataminers dissect the update.
How is it unfair to other ballot characters? Most of the votes got in right away. Why can't they pick the easiest (easiest as in licensing) character that's ranking high in the results early on and decide to do more later? I'm not saying they have already done that, but I highly doubt they'd been sitting around twiddling their thumbs the past few months. I'm SURE they already started on SOMEONE, more likely at least two, even if they're not released until a short while after the ballot launches.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
On October 3rd, a personal message from Sakurai:

"After months of collecting data, we realized the Smash ballot was a mistake. You don't deserve to pick your nose, let alone pick the next characters in Smash. As compensation for stringing you along, here's a thing the development team whipped up in literally 5 seconds. We're calling him Darkest Pit. Don't worry, he didn't steal any precious development time from other characters because there are no other characters. Please understand. Have you ever made a game before?"

EDIT: It's so satisfying to see others making the same joke before you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom