• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Um, Sonic is definitely up there with Pac-Man, Mario, and Pikachu.
my dad, who is not a gamer (but when he was young, he played some computer games), recognizes immediately Pacman, Mario and Pikachu, but he has no idea of who sonic is

It seems likely to me thinking the same thing happens for many many dads around the world

Shovel Knight better be ready to dig his reputation grave if this ultimately doesn't mean something.
mmm, probably they really are just excited about the new announcements. Reading their twitter posts, I'm thinking they are true Smash Bros. players (probably """casual""" ones, but it's ok).
And even though they advertisize their character (a fair move), they respect all other characters and everyone's tastes. I have to say, these things make my respect for them increase

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not every parent of the last generation can recognize certain characters, so it's not exactly a fair comparison regardless.

My parents recognize all of Pac-Man and Mario but not Pikachu, Mega Man or Sonic for instance.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Not every parent of the last generation can recognize certain characters, so it's not exactly a fair comparison regardless.

My parents recognize all of Pac-Man and Mario but not Pikachu, Mega Man or Sonic for instance.
in fact Pikachu imho is a little less recognizable than the other 2 giants.
If my dad didn't have two children in their twenties, probably neither he would recognize Pika-pi

My parents can recognize Mario, Crash bandicoot, and Spyro and probably Sly Cooper but probably no other video game character. Parents aren't exactly the best guides of iconicness.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thing is though, that Kojima still supports Snake in Smash. He's retweeted pictures of the Snake amiibo, as Konami has.

I don't really think Sakurai has salt towards Konami.
That's my point, he may be friends with Kojima still, but his overall opinion on Konami might've changed to affect his decision in adding Snake to the game. A decision to kick out Kojima and other famous Konami developers can really have you question (as Sakurai is a developer of games himself) Konami and whether or not Snake should come back in Smash.

The overall uncertainty we have is exactly why people feel that Snake has less of a chance than other third parties in the game.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
My parents can recognize Mario, Crash bandicoot, and Spyro and probably Sly Cooper but probably no other video game character. Parents aren't exactly the best guides of iconicness.
My mother could recognize :4drmario: and :4duckhunt: but not :4bowser::4megaman:or:4ryu:. That should be an ever better proof about them... not being the best guages.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I know it's not the definitive exemplum, it was only a really-lived-life's tale ;D

but it is indeniable Mario and Pacman are icons who transcend the mere gaming world (and Pikachu too, even if in a minor way)

of course, it is only a pleasant chat, not a reason to dispute

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a question about this. You're primarily comparing Snake to Layton in this case, correct? So why bring up Snake's questionable future as a point against him when Layton's own future doesn't look entirely promising at this point?
To be fair, Layton's creator stated that he still has a lot of ideas for the franchise and that he isn't ready yet to end it. He's more or less keeping the series on hold for now as he hopes to take it into a new direction. They are still giving the series a lot of cameos and references in other games so it's clear they still like the series and don't intend to have it become forgotten to the public, so I personally can see them doing something for the series during its upcoming tenth anniversary.

If anything, the upcoming spin off more or less shows this too that they are still interested to work with the franchise and still wish to keep it in the public's eye for now.

That's probably all I'm going to say for now in regards to this in this thread as I don't really feel like taking much part in it....

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
My mom knows Mario, Yoshi, Pac Man, Sonic, Link, Zelda, Pikachu, Peach, Dr. Mario, Charizard, Squirtle, Donkey Kong (I think) and Fox (I think). She also recognizes Ness, but doesn't know his name.

If we get Shovel Knight, I'll be disappointed.

This is the only shovel fighting character I want (a character from her series is appearing as an assist in Nitroblasters, another fighting game):

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That's my point, he may be friends with Kojima still, but his overall opinion on Konami might've changed to affect his decision in adding Snake to the game. A decision to kick out Kojima and other famous Konami developers can really have you question (as Sakurai is a developer of games himself) Konami and whether or not Snake should come back in Smash.
As much as I am skeptical of Snake's chance at being DLC, Sakurai already worked with Capcom in order to obtain the rights to use MegaMan during 2012- you know, the year where Capcom's anti-consumer DLC practices were at an all time high considering the SF x TK DLC fiaco. I doubt the morality of different companies affects Sakurai's decisions to want a character back.

Besides, in the event Snake actually got in as DLC, Sakurai wouldn't put him in as a favour for Konami, but because of the fans that want him as well as Kojima (who wants Snake to be in, so the idea of Snake being DLC wouldn't be going against Kojima's wishes, anyways)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I am skeptical of Snake's chance at being DLC, Sakurai already worked with Capcom in order to obtain the rights to use MegaMan during 2012- you know, the year where Capcom's anti-consumer DLC practices were at an all time high considering the SF x TK DLC fiaco. I doubt the morality of different companies affects Sakurai's decisions to want a character back.
To be fair, anti-consumer business practices =/= treating your employees poorly.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be fair, anti-consumer business practices =/= treating your employees poorly.
True, but it still doesn't change the fact that the idea of Snake being DLC wouldn't be rewarding Konami for their ill practises, but the fans who wants him as well as Kojima.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If revolutionizing a whole genre and popularizing cinematic storytelling in gaming isn't iconic, then you're outta your mind. He's every bit as iconic the rest of the third parties that are currently in this game.

Smooth Criminal
It has less to do with him being iconic and more him having little relation to Nintendo. This was a criticism of him in Smash since the beginning and why most people didn't expect him back. Since Brawl, the only Metal Gear game has been a port of Metal Gear Solid 3. Is he iconic. Sure. Is he appropriate for Smash in comparison to the rest of the cast. Probably not.
The thing is though, that Kojima still supports Snake in Smash. He's retweeted pictures of the Snake amiibo, as Konami has.

I don't really think Sakurai has salt towards Konami.
Konami re-tweeting something about there character doesn't mean they are doing anything with Smash. In essence, it means very little.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It has less to do with him being iconic and more him having little relation to Nintendo. This was a criticism of him in Smash since the beginning and why most people didn't expect him back. Since Brawl, the only Metal Gear game has been a port of Metal Gear Solid 3. Is he iconic. Sure. Is he appropriate for Smash in comparison to the rest of the cast. Probably not.
I don't exactly see what the point of bringing this up against Third Parties. The criteria for Third Party characters only requires that the character in question has been on a Nintendo console before. The idea that the character needs a "good relationship" with Nintendo is an arbitrary criteria.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't exactly see what the point of bringing this up against Third Parties. The criteria for Third Party characters only requires that the character in question has been on a Nintendo console before. The idea that the character needs a "good relationship" with Nintendo is an arbitrary criteria.
That's the minimum requirement.

The character's relationship to Nintendo is the primary driver. Again, this is a Nintendo fighting game.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The sad part is, MGS games would be on Nintendo consoles most likely if the hardware could handle them. No way MGS4 would be on the Wii unless it was watered down. Peace Walker wasn't going to be on the DS due to hard ware. MGSV had similar reasons I believe stated by Kojima, which lead to him talking about making a Wii U exclusive (Whether it was a MGS Wii U game is something I forgot). Honestly, sucks since those games are great.

I will admit, he hasn't been on many Nintendo systems. But he has enough spots to be included. As the Snake fans says this. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Sakurai wants to add Snake, he will. He's already been in the series, and it really doesn't matter what reasons we have to think it won't happen. He's a highly requested iconic character, but him being added is entirely up to Sakurai, which is something we can't predict at all, unless he outright hated them.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If he wanted to add Snake, I think he would've done so when pre-ballot characters were added. (where 3/4 of the DLC roster now are cut veterans)

We'll wait and see.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
If he wanted to add Snake, I think he would've done so when pre-ballot characters were added. (where 3/4 of the DLC roster now are cut veterans)

We'll wait and see.
Even if Snake was decided pre-ballot, contracting with Konami, even if it isn't hard as some may think, would probably push it to a later date compared to the other DLC characters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I asked my mum about the Smash 4 roster a while back and the only two she knew were Mario and Pikachu. (I was big into Pokemon so that's not surprising)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
From 4chan.

Even though I knew this was as fake as that mediocre Daisy leak from yesterday, part of me would have loved Sega to contribute such a stage to Smash. Just remove that Miku Hatsune part and you've got yourself a solid stage with many nostalgic tracks (Streets of Rage and Outrun goodness).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No. Wayfoward said "See you in Smash" in regards to Shantae. They are just trying to rally last min, votes.
So wait... Could it be that... Yacht Club Games told the retailers that Shovel Knight was coming to Smash to get votes from other people, omigosh, I gotta tell the others about this!!!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So wait... Could it be that... Yacht Club Games told the retailers that Shovel Knight was coming to Smash to get votes from other people, omigosh, I gotta tell the others about this!!!
That's not really worth spreading around as gospel considering how excited you sound about it. We don't know the exact case, so spreading what's possibly misinformation based on a theory isn't the best idea. :L

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That's not really worth spreading around as gospel considering how excited you sound about it. We don't know the exact case, so spreading what's possibly misinformation based on a theory isn't the best idea. :L
But here's the thing that drives it home, Nintendo isn't responsible for marketing and manufacturing of the Amiibo, Yacht Club Games is!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nothing to see here... Just indies trying to get more people to vote.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
But here's the thing that drives it home, Nintendo isn't responsible for marketing and manufacturing of the Amiibo, Yacht Club Games is!
I fail to see how that drives it home nor how it's worthy to accept as the be all end all explanation.

Don't get ahead of yourself, spreading misinformation can very easily bite you in the rear.

Morbi

Scavenger

We'll wait and see.
To be fair, one could easily say that about Wolf. Maybe he just prioritized Roy and Lucas over Snake and Wolf? Regardless, I agree with your sentiment, Phantom Pain would have been the ideal time to reveal Snake. Or any time before that, really. Honestly, his veteran status is the only reason any one believes he has a ghost of a chance. Without it, there is just nothing in his favor whatsoever. Snake fans can attempt to misconstrue evidence against him as evidence in his favor all they want. It did not work before, and it will not work now.

That's the minimum requirement.

The character's relationship to Nintendo is the primary driver. Again, this is a Nintendo fighting game.
Do you have a source to support that claim? It just sort of sounds as though you are pulling that out of your you know what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom