• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's grown leaps and bounds in all respects over the span of a decade. The community kept it alive. We'll see what kinda attitude prevails with Smash 4, and whether or not people wanna keep it around.

And that video has to be fake, lol.

Smooth Criminal
Excuse me, but why do you leave your name at the bottom of your posts, i mean it's already right there to the left of your posts anyway...
It's not a big deal, just curious

A Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem would be cool if it brought some SMT Music with it

Shroob

Sup?
So wait, are we really getting three new characters?
HIGHLY doubtful, but does no one find it odd that we haven't seen ANY Mii Costumes?

This post in of itself makes it suspect that we'd only get a single stage as content. Mewtwo is an exception, to an extent, but he came with basically all the groundwork for future dlc so far.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Excuse me, but why do you leave your name at the bottom of your posts, i mean it's already right there to the left of your posts anyway...

A Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem would be cool if it brought some SMT Music with it
Because you've been hit by, you've been struck by.

Smooth Criminal

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

At best, a downloadable stage for Genei Ibun Roku #FE is what I expect when the game is out internationally. Though the idea itself is still unlikely due to the game's divisive nature and the need of Atlus's involvement.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To me Snake's chances for DLC, really aren't that great. Keep in mind Snake was added in AS A FAVOR and not because he's "a gaming icon."

Can someone please show me where Sakurai states that he added Snake in as a gaming icon? I'd love to see it, because otherwise, this stupid fan theory about "only gaming icons can get in" shouldn't exist. Connections with Sakurai matter to getting in, as shown by Snake, and his love for Kirby, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem.

Any third party that has a connection with Sakurai (take Layton's creator for instance), have a decent shot at getting in.

Why would Sakurai put in a character that he put in for his friend, when 1. his friend isn't a part of the series creation anymore and 2. the future of his series is in doubt.

Ice Climbers were not a priority because of this, and Snake shouldn't be considered that likely anymore for that reason. You can feel free to say "well he invented the stealth genre." But how much does that matter? And how did that effect Sakurai's choice in Snake, when ultimately he was only added because he was asked by a friend.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
In all brutal and hurtful honesty, no Konami characters are going to be seen on a smash brothers roster for a long while sense Konami are seemingly jumping ship from the video game boat of dreams.

But hey, who knows, we might get a Pachinko machine as a stage with Konami cameos on it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To me Snake's chances for DLC, really aren't that great. Keep in mind Snake was added in AS A FAVOR and not because he's "a gaming icon."

Can someone please show me where Sakurai states that he added Snake in as a gaming icon? I'd love to see it, because otherwise, this stupid fan theory about "only gaming icons can get in" shouldn't exist. Connections with Sakurai matter to getting in, as shown by Snake, and his love for Kirby, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem.

Any third party that has a connection with Sakurai (take Layton's creator for instance), have a decent shot at getting in.

Why would Sakurai put in a character that he put in for his friend, when 1. his friend isn't a part of the series creation anymore and 2. the future of his series is in doubt.

Ice Climbers were not a priority because of this, and Snake shouldn't be considered that likely anymore for that reason. You can feel free to say "well he invented the stealth genre." But how much does that matter? And how did that effect Sakurai's choice in Snake, when ultimately he was only added because he was asked by a friend.
Since when does he need to outright say things?

Sakurai HAS said, "I'm not just going to add ANY character from another company". Why should that not apply to Snake? Because you don't want it to? Sakurai takes those decisions seriously. Do you seriously think that if Hideo Kojima was the developer of Super Meat Boy, that Sakurai would just say, "Well, you ARE my friend. Let's add this rather irrelevant character!".? Snake IS a gaming icon.

Metal Gear is more than just "stealth genre". Kojima has used Metal Gear to advance the development of cinematic experience in gaming. Metal Gear is known for its amazing and complicated storyline. Sakurai doesn't need to deem Snake as a gaming icon, because Snake and Metal Gear does it for itself. Not to mention, shaping the stealth genre has now brought other big series such as Assassin's Creed into being and has thrust it into the industry.

The comparison of the Ice Climbers to Snake is laughable. One is a retro one-off while the other is a series that still produces stellar installments and makes millions of dollars.

Show me where Professor Layton pulls in millions of sales per title, and has a massive social media buzz around his releases. Snake is leagues about Professor Layton in legacy and popularity. I don't know why you're still comparing them.

If we're going to use the "questionable future" of Metal Gear as a negative (seriously?), then why don't we count the rather lousy recent titles in the Sonic series? Or the...extreme lack of Pac-Man games...you don't need games all the time to have a legacy.

How about Mega Man? He got in based on popularity and legacy. Guess what Snake can get in because of now? He's the top 3rd party selection based on plenty of data we've gotten from various websites. More popular for Smash than Layton. Does that not help?

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Since when does he need to outright say things?

Sakurai HAS said, "I'm not just going to add ANY character from another company". Why should that not apply to Snake? Because you don't want it to? Sakurai takes those decisions seriously. Do you seriously think that if Hideo Kojima was the developer of Super Meat Boy, that Sakurai would just say, "Well, you ARE my friend. Let's add this rather irrelevant character!".? Snake IS a gaming icon.

Metal Gear is more than just "stealth genre". Kojima has used Metal Gear to advance the development of cinematic experience in gaming. Metal Gear is known for its amazing and complicated storyline. Sakurai doesn't need to deem Snake as a gaming icon, because Snake and Metal Gear does it for itself. Not to mention, shaping the stealth genre has now brought other big series such as Assassin's Creed into being and has thrust it into the industry.

The comparison of the Ice Climbers to Snake is laughable. One is a retro one-off while the other is a series that still produces stellar installments and makes millions of dollars.

Show me where Professor Layton pulls in millions of sales per title, and has a massive social media buzz around his releases. Snake is leagues about Professor Layton in legacy and popularity. I don't know why you're comparing them.

If we're going to use the "questionable future" of Metal Gear as a negative (seriously?), then why don't we count the rather lousy recent titles in the Sonic series? Or the...extreme lack of Pac-Man games...you don't need games all the time to have a legacy.
SO MUCH OF THIS!

Metal Gear is far more iconic than what some people here think.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Here's some food for thought.

Early in SSB4's development, I remember a quote from Sakurai stating that, at that point in development, all characters from Brawl were in the plans, but cuts are (or, were) a definite possibility. If anyone could back me up on this and find said quote, it'd be much obliged.

Now, this really doesn't mean too much for me, but it raises one or two questions. I'm assuming that Squirtle and Ivysaur were scrapped, with Charizard being the more acknowledged of the trio, and they just considered that the best option. Lucas was probably taking too long to develop, so they pushed him to post-release, and Icies were just struggling on 3DS, so they scrapped them.

Now, that leaves Snake and Wolf up in the air for me. Both have popularity, both are capable of running on 3DS smoothly, and are unique enough to bring back. So, why were they absent in the first place?

IMO, I think Wolf was in the same boat as Lucas, taking up development time or something along those lines, and was pushed to the side for later. Personally? I think that Sakurai pushed Wolf / Lucas away for later development because they were still considered "semi-clones" (I know they're not, I've played my fair share of both) and neither really had a foreseeable future, with Mother and (at the time) Star Fox being dead franchises, so why focus on them over more popular veterans and newcomers? I don't know if, in this case, that would mean Mewtwo / Roy / Ryu had priority over Wolf for some reason, but w/e, I'm fairly confident if we do see a character alongside the Mario Maker stage, it'll be Wolf. Either that, or they'll wait for Wolf to coincide w/ Star Fox Zero, like how Lucas coincided w/ EarthBound Beginnings.

Now, that leaves Snake. I don't think Sakurai would just decide to cut a character that famous among gamers... I mean, yeah, he's done it before with Mewtwo in Brawl, but to be fair, he was scrapped rather late in development. I believe that Konami, or maybe even Nintendo, denied access to the Metal Gear Solid franchise, forcing Sakurai to remove Snake. This means, to me, that he's probably not showing up soon unless the Ballot really shows how much we want him. It just doesn't add up to them holding back someone who is the sole representative of his home company, and doesn't appear in the base game.

That's just my two cents, though. I'll just go back to wishing that SEGA Carnival stage was real, with After Burner II and Segata Sanshiro as tracks.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This also applies to Snake does it not?

Could happen, if it were not for the leak, I would've been completely surprised by the fact we got 3 characters for one pack. Wouldn't be surprised if we got three in one again.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I PERSONALLY doubt it.

That said, we did go last update without a character at all...

I honestly expected Wolf + K. Rool this patch, but... perhaps a third?
Man, how awesome would this be?

Pity that magnitude of awesome is exactly why it's -not- gonna happen.

RobinOnDrugs

Another thought on the Mario Maker update:

I feel like the reason why the update involving Mario Maker would take so long is because of how randomized the stage is, so it might take longer to put in the game than usual. I could be wrong, but I'd much rather wait to see an announcement for more content.

Also, we had a pretty big maintenance during the time that DLC was usually put in weeks ago. People thought we'd get content, only to wind up setting themselves up for disappointment. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So, realistically, if we're getting anything else, tonight or tomorrow are basically it for pre-release info.

Then it's all up to the dataminers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Very unlikely. Two may be possible, but not three. And we'll probably ONLY get two if Wolf is one of them. The most likely is probably Wolf and K. Rool.

That said, its possible that one character simply adds an hour onto the patch. With 1.5 hours, its possible that if there's both a character and a stage, its 1.5 instead of 1 (for one character) or 20-30 mins (for not having a character).

So its quite possible it could only be one character. Regardless, we've definitely got to get some info soon, because there's no way they'd skip out on Mii Fighter costumes this time.

I feel like the reason why the update involving Mario Maker would take so long could be due to how randomized the stage is, so it might take longer to put in the game than usual. I could be wrong, but I'd much rather wait to see an announcement for more content.

Also, we had a pretty big maintenance during the time that DLC was usually put in weeks ago. People thought we'd get content, only to wind up setting themselves up for disappointment. Just food for thought.
People heavily overrate how big Super Mario Maker is. Its not that complicated, it just reuses assets directly from the game and organizes them. Its really not that big of a deal. Once the programming for the stage is set, it would barely take any time at all to position new layouts. Its very unlikely to be totally random, there's just a lot of variations.

Also, the last maintenance was likely just for the game's release in Korea. Granted, they don't have a home console version, but it may require something special for that reasoning.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Also, about this whole server thing? Probably the reason why tourney mode didn't take so long was because of placeholder data. Could be that there isn't anything for them to build on in order to integrate the stage?

Smooth Criminal
In other words, everyone blame randomtalkingbush for data mining the game, lol

RobinOnDrugs

So, realistically, if we're getting anything else, tonight or tomorrow are basically it for pre-release info.

Then it's all up to the dataminers.
Pretty much. If there's anything BIG getting released alongside the stage, we'd get an announcement. Whether it be tomorrow or even right before the update itself. We can at least hope they leave something for our friendly neighborhood dataminers!

People heavily overrate how big Super Mario Maker is. Its not that complicated, it just reuses assets directly from the game and organizes them. Its really not that big of a deal. Once the programming for the stage is set, it would barely take any time at all to position new layouts. Its very unlikely to be totally random, there's just a lot of variations.

Also, the last maintenance was likely just for the game's release in Korea. Granted, they don't have a home console version, but it may require something special for that reasoning.
You got a point about stages, but I'd much rather go in pessimistic about this rather than set myself up for disappointment.

Big maintenance times don't always mean moar content.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I'm secretly hoping that, if we do get more with this update, it will be revealed in a similar fashion to the June Update, with a mini-Direct of sorts right before the update goes live.

Either way, I'm hype for Mario Maker alone.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say one thing, however. The way the DLC has been spaced out has been really 'meh' to me.

I appreciate getting three characters back in June, but considering it has been 3, going on 4 months without a character now, it has sorta made me wish they had saved one for the drought.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I want to free the dataminers. Official announcements are nice surprises, but dataminers revealing the info is still a big surprise. Just not an official one ;) After they spoil everything, I just get hyped to see it all with my own two eyes. That's how that beauty of a character 3 pack went.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Because it's been brought up again on this page I'll reiterate my point: Konami are radically scaling back their console offerings because they love easy money, not because they have some kind of weird spite against the video game medium.

If there wasn't a single person in Konami working on video games in any form they could still let Nintendo licence the rights to use characters from IPs that Konami themselves have no intention of ever using again.

In fact, we have evidence that this is already happening: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/08/nintendo_is_licensing_hudson_soft_ip_from_konami

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have a question about this. You're primarily comparing Snake to Layton in this case, correct? So why bring up Snake's questionable future as a point against him when Layton's own future doesn't look entirely promising at this point?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I have a question about this. You're primarily comparing Snake to Layton in this case, correct? So why bring up Snake's questionable future as a point against him when Layton's own future doesn't look entirely promising at this point?
No, I was mainly bringing up Layton in saying his creator and Sakurai are acquainted.

Layton isn't looking nearly as bleak as MGS. His English voice actor recorded lines for two games with Layton in them recently. One can be presumed as Layton 7, no one knows, not even the actor, what the other game was. Someone mentioned he was confused with the lines, as they didn't seem typical for a Layton game. They were extra pages in a session.

I know for a fact that they dont tell VAs what they are dubbing, at least Nintendo. Bryce Papenbrook had no idea he was in Fire Emblem Awakening until people brought him the game to sign.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I've said it a lot, but I'll say it again.

I just can't believe in just a single stage update. Where are the Mii Outfits? I have a hard time seeing Nintendo pass up Mii Outfits. We've gotten a set every content patch.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Promising? There's Layton 7 coming out on mobile platforms, ensuring that they want to keep the franchise going.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
No, I was mainly bringing up Layton in saying his creator and Sakurai are acquainted.

Layton isn't looking nearly as bleak as MGS. His English voice actor recorded lines for two games with Layton in them recently. One can be presumed as Layton 7, no one knows, not even the actor, what the other game was. Someone mentioned he was confused with the lines, as they didn't seem typical for a Layton game. They were extra pages in a session.

I know for a fact that they dont tell VAs what they are dubbing, at least Nintendo. Bryce Papenbrook had no idea he was in Fire Emblem Awakening until people brought him the game to sign.
AHEM

For anyone who still thinks Konami is just leaving the gaming industry and/or Earth: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/28/konami-metal-gear-series-can-continue-without-kojima
Smooth Criminal

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Are we honestly still comparing Layton to Snake?

Come on, we've been over this. Metal Gear most certainly will continue, is still in a far better position than Layton is(when your next major release is on mobile platforms, something is wrong; MG has had mobile games before but those were not main installments), and is still arguably easier to manage for Smash; and Snake is still hotly requested too.

That's not counting how I proved Metal Gear far outclasses Layton as a series pages ago.

The keyword there is "can." That doesn't guarantee.

Like how Ridley "can" be playable in smash, but that doesn't mean he will be.
This comparison doesn't work.

A character making it in a fighting game is leagues different from a company making more games in a franchise. The difference is that Ridley wasn't added for reasons that mattered to Sakurai; effectively a roadblock in the form of the director. Konami basically has no reason to stop making Metal Gear games unless they don't want extra profit.

And I dislike what Konami is doing, I won't defend then completely, but your argument is asinine.

Last edited:

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
What about Banjo-Kazooie? Why doesn't anyone talk about them? They have just as good of a chance as K. Rool...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What about Banjo-Kazooie? Why doesn't anyone talk about them? They have just as good of a chance as K. Rool...
Actually, although both DKC and Banjo & Kazooie games were MADE by Rare, K. Rool is part of the Donkey Kong IP, which is owned by Nintendo. BK was owed by Rare who is now owned by Microsoft. So no, BK does not have even remotely close chances to K. Rool, especially as far as licensing goes.

EDIT:
Sakurai said he would add the winner of the smash ballot, I don't think that necessarily matters
And this is where I take my leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom