• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Like I said above, I agree with this sentiment. It just raises too many questions as to why this maintenance is taking so long if all we're getting is one stage + balance changes. If all we get IS Mario Maker, I suspect that there's probably a lot of hidden stuff added to the game files to justify the time it took.

It just doesn't make sense otherwise. Why would ONE STAGE take an hour and a half while Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle took a sixth of it?

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Now, they may not be working on only ballot characters, but they are working on content for Smash, and probably new characters among that. With the "all future characters will be fan service" statement, it seems probable that ballot content is in the works.
agreed.

I doubt they would just wait for the ballot to close to start working on anything character related, at the very least there are clear top-runners and probably have been for months. I mean a million votes aren't going to suddenly flood in for one character and change the top ten spots or so, in fact if it did nintendo would be smart to suspect it was hacked or something. like people have said its more of a suggestion to see who's popular so I'm sure who is popular is already clear to nintendo/sakurai and has been for a while. they've probably already chosen at least one character to start working on. also since I doubt the ballot is just "who ever the top 3-4 most voted for characters are automatically get in" there is no need to tally up the final score in case #4 passes #3 or soemthing, out of the clear front runners I'm sure nintendo has already began the selection process based on their own criteria for who will be DLC.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Royu Direct was a supposed to be a surprise too.

I don't think they'll just silently release the stage, really. It's not how they do things.

:231:
The direct was announced days before. It is possible there could be a Nintendo direct for Wednesday, but otherwise, it doesn't seem like much.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
They are a really weird company to where we don't know how different they are to work with than before. That's my main issue.
Thinking on this, I kinda understand. There is the mentality/attitude aspect as well, though it's kinda hard to gauge due to a lack of knowledge of the inner workings of a big time company like Konami. For all we know, they could be a buncha stubborn hardliners and flat-out refuse because of reasons or whatever.

It's a fair point, but the possibility is there.

Because if your goal is to maximize profit, why do an indie character. More people know who King K Rool and Inklings are than Shovel Knight. Most of these games have yet to be released in Japan yet.
Except I'm talking about Snake, not Shovel Knight. That ship has looooong sailed, and even then I was just trying to facilitate open-mindedness. I'm under no illusion---Shovel Knight's chances are slim to none.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a question, we were speaking about Rayman a little bit earlier, and I always wondered: How would the Rayman Amiibo... Exist? It is a really silly reason to not include a character, but at the same time, I cannot imagine how they would actually develop a functioning figure without limbs. I am sure that this has been brought up plenty of times, so could someone please provide me with the general defense used to this perceived problem?

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I have a question, we were speaking about Rayman a little bit earlier, and I always wondered: How would the Rayman Amiibo... Exist? It is a really silly reason to not include a character, but at the same time, I cannot imagine how they would actually develop a functioning figure without limbs. I am sure that this has been brought up plenty of times, so could someone please provide me with the general defense used to this perceived problem?
I imagine see through material would help make it look a bit better. Other than that, it is a funny thought lol

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Somehow, I get the unusual feeling that due to the Royu leak, they're just not going to DO anything or SAY anything. Come September 30th, they're just going to let all of this play out.......:shades:

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
It could work in two ways.
Either like this.
or like this

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I kinda hope the new DLC character(S) can help change the Smash 4 meta around. I've been playing a lot of online matches recently and I've notice that alot of players just resort to patterns to win matches

Sonic throw off stage to bring button down

Zero Suit Samus stun to madz skick throw combos yo

Captain Falcon's throw-o-ramma

Just do something to change the game up a bit so matches don't dissolve to "Do the thing and win"

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I kinda hope the new DLC character(S) can help change the Smash 4 meta around. I've been playing a lot of online matches recently and I've notice that alot of players just resort to patterns to win.

Just do something to change the game up a bit so matches don't dissolve to "Do the thing and win"
You just described every fighting game ever (especially on netplay). Congrats.

Also, about this whole server thing? Probably the reason why tourney mode didn't take so long was because of placeholder data. Could be that there isn't anything for them to build on in order to integrate the stage?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I kinda hope the new DLC character(S) can help change the Smash 4 meta around. I've been playing a lot of online matches recently and I've notice that alot of players just resort to patterns to win matches

Sonic throw off stage to bring button down

Zero Suit Samus stun to madz skick throw combos yo

Captain Falcon's throw-o-ramma

I am not entirely sure how a DLC character will change the way players resort to patterns to win matches. Players will instead use new patterns established by DLC characters. Regardless, that is just how fighting games work. I suppose they could develop an anti-meta character; however, the only way I see that working is if the new character is immune to grabs for some reason.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
You just described every fighting game ever (especially on netplay). Congrats.

Also, about this whole server thing? Probably the reason why tourney mode didn't take so long was because of placeholder data. Could be that there isn't anything for them to build on in order to integrate the stage?

Smooth Criminal
Well gee, don't you just make me feel so special! Care to give me a hug with your razor sharp chest hair~?

I am not entirely sure how a DLC character will change the way players resort to patterns to win matches. Players will instead use new patterns established by DLC characters. Regardless, that is just how fighting games work. I suppose they could develop an anti-meta character; however, the only way I see that working is if the new character is immune to grabs for some reason.
Its not just the grab patterns that I have a bone to pick with (Liiiiink) . Its all the other stuff that new players use to get the easy wins. Street Fighter 5 has been making alot of new changes to it's system to prevent projectile spams and easy wins. I feel Smash should also try to take steps into making players learn from their mistakes and do something different for their wins. Thats what fighting games are about! Losing, learning from your losses, and getting better. You learn nothing from sticking to the simple patterns and thus never improve yourself on both fronts. People who constantly fight against patterns will never learn a different match up and people who use patterns will never learn anything more than their patterns.

Shroob

Sup?
The person who posted that video is a confirmed Splatoon fake leak-er.... That's a word, right?

Besides that, I have a hard time seeing Miku in Smash.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Looking through the leaker's YT page, I'm gonna guess this is fake so long as Shroob Shroob is right about him being a fake Splatoon leaker. The guy plays Sonic games a ton, and also there's some things of Hatsune throughout his page. Just seems too much like it's based around his own interests.

EDIT: But I wouldn't be mad if it were real, SEGA is a pretty cool guy.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Deathlightning21 Deathlightning21

But, like

You're oversimplfying it. By a lot. Counterplay exists. The game is far from being so stratified that one tactic = guaranteed wins every time. Netplay just so happens to make some strats a little stronger thanks to the input delay and whatnot. So yeah, I think anti-meta is more along the lines of what you're looking for?

Also, SF5 is making zoning manageable by giving characters tools to get around fireballs, but it wasn't like projectiles were so polarizing in SF3 and later iterations of SF4 anyways. It's mainly removing jank like OSes (option selects), Focus Attacks (which stagnated neutral), and invulnerability on backdashes (which also hurt meaningful footsies and wakeup). Smash 4 similarly removed a lot of Brawl's more bull**** mechanics (ledge mechanics, chaingrabs, etc).

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Notenougharmhair/10
Oh, well then...

Take this one then!

Deathlightning21 Deathlightning21

But, like

You're oversimplfying it. By a lot. Counterplay exists. The game is far from being so stratified that one tactic = guaranteed wins every time. Netplay just so happens to make some strats a little stronger thanks to the input delay and whatnot. So yeah, I think anti-meta is more along the lines of what you're looking for?

Also, SF5 is making zoning manageable by giving characters tools to get around fireballs, but it wasn't like projectiles were so polarizing in SF3 and later iterations of SF4 anyways. It's mainly removing jank like OSes (option selects), Focus Attacks (which stagnated neutral), and invulnerability on backdashes (which also hurt meaningful footsies and wakeup). Smash 4 similarly removed a lot of Brawl's more bull**** mechanics (ledge mechanics, chaingrabs, etc).

Smooth Criminal
Your still missing my point. Sure, I might be over simplifying this but my point still stands. Not every match is going to have Netplay problems or whatnot. My point is that the competitive fluidity and "fun" are not going to last very long in this type of environment that the Smash community is setting itself up for. Its all going to be new and old players doing the same shtick over and over again to get the easy win.

In this type of environment there is no player growth or, again, "fun" to be had. Just take a look at some of the other ways fighting games keep these two things alive. Old and new players finding new ways of to play characters through their streams of bad defeats and barely got wins. The sweat, blood, and tears that go into mastering your character and play style is one of the biggest rewards in a fighting game. With Smash such rushes of emotions or lessons will never be learned, thus, resulting in a stagnant and boring competitive community.

Deathlightning21

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The person who posted that video is a confirmed Splatoon fake leak-er.... That's a word, right?

Besides that, I have a hard time seeing Miku in Smash.
Its only Miku as a stage element. Of course, the problem with Miku is she's not owned by SEGA, so there's no way she could be so easily added even in as a general SEGA element. SEGA creates the Project Diva series (or do they even do that? They might just only publish them) and that's it.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
The amount of salt wouldnt be able to match my happiness.
*Insert joke about sodium and buckets here, can't think of one*

If it's community attitude you're talking about, I'm inclined to agree.

But the game is young yet, and there's still room for growth.

Smooth Criminal
Well, Melee is an older game and that hasn't changed much over the years >.>

Last edited:
It's fake. He was nice enough to come to smashboards to tell us in the nintenzone thread.
Oh hey guys!

Alas, SEGA Carnival is indeed a fake; by yours truly!
Glad you guys got some entertainment out of it; I only actually became aware of this thread from that Youtube comment, blimey this thing spread fast. Gameplay leaks, who would've thought?
The first footage of Game and Watch on the Miku stage was actually produced in an hour or so whilst I was on a break at college, as a quick thing to test stuff; I'm gonna be uploading the full-res versions shortly, so you can pick apart how... very, very bad they are, haha. I'll also be explaining how it was done; trust me, it's nothing amazing (and it's a flawed process, as many of you seem to have noticed)!

If you haven't gathered I'm a huge SEGA fan, so this was something I often thought about perhaps happening; the concept's straight out of Sonic Riders, in particular. I was actually planning on a few additions; an OutRun 2 based part for the HD version and a 3DS Fantasy Zone portion; but now I'm rumbled! Ah well.

Anyways; sorry if I got any hopes up. I produce stuff like this (and the Splatoon x SEGA stuff that got mentioned) as a means to test my abilities with editing programs. SEGA x Splatoon was heavily Photoshop based, I decided I wanted to try something video related. It was a fun experience!

Anyway, no hard feelings, right guys? And hey; maybe one day, we truly will have Miku in Smash Bros.

...no we won't.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Strange design for that Miku 3DS stage..

A gamefaqs guy pointed out (I guess I was so hype I didn't notice) "Project Mirai buttons with Project Diva Miku. Seems legit."

It should be chibi-miku from the new 3DS game on that stage if they wanted the model to match game mechanics. PDF Miku is the model in that 3DS version, but the button pushes are from a different type of Miku game. This one:

Ok never mind.. it's confirmed fake.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. I gave multiple 5s to characters i absolutely did not vote for and i know many other people did.. Plus some people voted for people they gave 4s to some didnt . There are far too many variables to consider it relevant to the ballot. That one poll where we wee only allowed to pick one is probably much mcuh more accurate because it is almost guaranteed that is who was voted for.

Many more think he isnt. Some people think waluigi is a top candidate. That doesnt make them right. (Sorry buttuni/golden)
>Buttuni

Yo, Oni.

I'm not gemsexual.

Onto the 3rd Party subject, I'm holding that they left that open because the ballot is also suggestionary for Smash 5. I don't see any 3rd Party or even Indie skimming in on DLC.

Edit: On the subject of the leak. If you have the capability of havine /seconds/ of footage, you should be able to go for a full match. That's just one thing on the already-disproven leak.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, Melee is an older game and that hasn't changed much over the years >.>
It's grown leaps and bounds in all respects over the span of a decade. The community kept it alive. We'll see what kinda attitude prevails with Smash 4, and whether or not people wanna keep it around.

And that video has to be fake, lol.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly though, there's one thing that bothers me.

In every update that we've gotten so far, there have been a set of Mii Outfits. Whether you like them or not isn't the point. The point is that, where are they for this update? It seems incredibly suspect that arguably Smash's easiest moneygrab isn't happening this patch. We got them in the Mewtwo patch, we got them in the E3 patch, AND we got them in the last patch. Where are they now?

This really does lead me to believe that we'll get a surprise content announcement 'soon', via Twitter or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom