• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
new smashified of one of the best characters.
If only she was playabe </3
I am not the biggest fan of Smashified's artwork; however, even I must admit that Dixie Kong looks amazing. This is, perhaps, my favorite one. Banjo is a close second, but that is just because I am biased for Banjo.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just realized that Dixie has blond hair on her head despite being covered in brown fur. :laugh:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Even though I knew this was as fake as that mediocre Daisy leak from yesterday, part of me would have loved Sega to contribute such a stage to Smash. Just remove that Miku Hatsune part and you've got yourself a solid stage with many nostalgic tracks (Streets of Rage and Outrun goodness).
Well, Miku being there would guarantee sales. Heck, bringing Miku herself as a fighter would reel in the Miku fans despite of how absurd that sounds. (the idea of Miku being added)

Morbi

Scavenger

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
new smashified of one of the best characters.
If only she was playabe </3
There's still hope! I'd argue she's fairly likely, but who knows until the ballot's up.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So Dixie got Smashified? About time.

So we have the dream DK cast ready with a Smash look. One day...

:231:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It has less to do with him being iconic and more him having little relation to Nintendo. This was a criticism of him in Smash since the beginning and why most people didn't expect him back. Since Brawl, the only Metal Gear game has been a port of Metal Gear Solid 3. Is he iconic. Sure. Is he appropriate for Smash in comparison to the rest of the cast. Probably not.

Konami re-tweeting something about there character doesn't mean they are doing anything with Smash. In essence, it means very little.
If Snake isn't appropriate for Smash, then why was he already in the series? Better yet, if only having a port (...it's still a released game) is a negative towards Snake, then what would that mean for Ryu?

Street Fighter and Ryu might have had success on the NES, but where were they on the Gamecube? On the Wii? On the Wii U? Nowhere. Except for ports. Like that 3DS game. That's a port too. Sure, they're games. They count as games from that series just as Snake Eater 3D does for Metal Gear.

Yeah, Smash is a Nintendo fighting game. But adding a character and mentioning Nintendo things doesn't actually negate anything else they've done in gaming. Sonic being in Smash doesn't suddenly mean "Nintendo bff, homie ftw". It means, this character has made an impact. If Sonic hadn't made an impact anywhere else and became Bubsy 2.0, I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be in Smash.

I still fail to see how these characters could possibly only be considered because of their relationship with Nintendo. Yeah, the fighting game is about Nintendo. We get that. But adding characters who aren't Nintendo characters is the main point of adding 3rd parties. Adding Snake to the game is just about the least worrisome 3rd party...he's already been in Smash. Adding another 3rd party doesn't shift the focus all of a sudden. 5 characters from other companies with ALMOST 55 Nintendo characters aside from them. Sounds pretty Nintendocentric to me.

Not to mention, let's throw some admittedly arbitrary stuff about Snake being important, aside from his gaming legacy.

-Snake was the first 3rd party ever added to Smash Bros., could have even been in the game solo without Sonic.
- MGS was remastered for the Gamecube exclusively. Hideo Kojima worked closely with Shigeru Miyamoto on the project. This version is considered the definitive version of the game
-MGS: Snake Eater 3D was specifically developed for the 3DS, there was no Vita port. Kojima wanted to make the game using the 3DS because he liked the hardware (and it could handle it, unlike past consoles)
-Snake Eater 3D also had a Bundle 3DS with a Snakeskin cover. As far as I know, the only other series to receive 3DS's like that are mainly 1st parties.
- Snake Eater 3D also has a 3DS theme available for download, something not too many series have

Additionally, let's face it. Ryu got in around similar circumstances to Snake. By that I mean, in proximity to the release of the newest game of the series...which isn't on a Nintendo console. Exclusive to Sony actually. Both are.

If "relationship to Nintendo" (which is vague and inconsistent anyway) is so important, then why is Pac-Man there? Why has Snake already been in the game? Why is Ryu there? If it were so important, then why aren't Layton and Shantae already there? I refuse to believe that Sakurai would agree to add Snake if he was Super Meat Boy levels of popularity/relevance to gaming.

The answer: They don't have the legacy, but the ones who are in do.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Well, Miku being there would guarantee sales. Heck, bringing Miku herself as a fighter would reel in the Miku fans despite of how absurd that sounds. (the idea of Miku being added)
*cough*Didn't stop :4wiifit:*cough* *cough*So the idea of Miku is not too out there*cough*

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Because everyone, their mother and their pet wanted :4wiifit: before SSB4 was announced, riiiight?
Honestly, I prefer the left-field choices. I'd rather have Miku over Magnemite which seems to be Japan's Shrek equivalent as a troll/joke choice.

:081:?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Because everyone, their mother and their pet wanted :4wiifit: before SSB4 was announced, riiiight?
Honestly, I prefer the left-field choices. I'd rather have Miku over Magnemite which seems to be Japan's Shrek equivalent as a troll/joke choice.

How can Magnemite be the equivalent of Shrek if Magnemite actually has a chance?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Brash the Bear > Magnetmite. Only one place for this sheriff and there ain't enough room for the both of them. :smirk:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

In my eyes, Miku will never be a joke choice. Let's be real here. If she was originally a video game character she would have a pretty decent chance. She is an pop icon after all and has a bunch of solid games. She shouldn't be compared to Shrek.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
In my eyes, Miku will never be a joke choice. Let's be real here. If she was originally a video game character she would have a pretty decent chance. She is an pop icon after all and has a bunch of solid games. She shouldn't be compared to Shrek.
I believe he called Magnemite to be Japan's equivalent of Shrek.

:231:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am honestly not entirely certain of that; however, you seem confident enough. I suppose I will take your word for it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
If Snake isn't appropriate for Smash, then why was he already in the series? Better yet, if only having a port (...it's still a released game) is a negative towards Snake, then what would that mean for Ryu?

Street Fighter and Ryu might have had success on the NES, but where were they on the Gamecube? On the Wii? On the Wii U? Nowhere. Except for ports. Like that 3DS game. That's a port too. Sure, they're games. They count as games from that series just as Snake Eater 3D does for Metal Gear.

Yeah, Smash is a Nintendo fighting game. But adding a character and mentioning Nintendo things doesn't actually negate anything else they've done in gaming. Sonic being in Smash doesn't suddenly mean "Nintendo bff, homie ftw". It means, this character has made an impact. If Sonic hadn't made an impact anywhere else and became Bubsy 2.0, I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be in Smash.

I still fail to see how these characters could possibly only be considered because of their relationship with Nintendo. Yeah, the fighting game is about Nintendo. We get that. But adding characters who aren't Nintendo characters is the main point of adding 3rd parties. Adding Snake to the game is just about the least worrisome 3rd party...he's already been in Smash. Adding another 3rd party doesn't shift the focus all of a sudden. 5 characters from other companies with ALMOST 55 Nintendo characters aside from them. Sounds pretty Nintendocentric to me.

Not to mention, let's throw some admittedly arbitrary stuff about Snake being important, aside from his gaming legacy.

-Snake was the first 3rd party ever added to Smash Bros., could have even been in the game solo without Sonic.
- MGS was remastered for the Gamecube exclusively. Hideo Kojima worked closely with Shigeru Miyamoto on the project. This version is considered the definitive version of the game
-MGS: Snake Eater 3D was specifically developed for the 3DS, there was no Vita port. Kojima wanted to make the game using the 3DS because he liked the hardware (and it could handle it, unlike past consoles)
-Snake Eater 3D also had a Bundle 3DS with a Snakeskin cover. As far as I know, the only other series to receive 3DS's like that are mainly 1st parties.
- Snake Eater 3D also has a 3DS theme available for download, something not too many series have

Additionally, let's face it. Ryu got in around similar circumstances to Snake. By that I mean, in proximity to the release of the newest game of the series...which isn't on a Nintendo console. Exclusive to Sony actually. Both are.

If "relationship to Nintendo" (which is vague and inconsistent anyway) is so important, then why is Pac-Man there? Why has Snake already been in the game? Why is Ryu there? If it were so important, then why aren't Layton and Shantae already there? I refuse to believe that Sakurai would agree to add Snake if he was Super Meat Boy levels of popularity/relevance to gaming.

The answer: They don't have the legacy, but the ones who are in do.
Yes, we get it. You like Snake. Literately every post you've made here has been that topic and the fact that you give me an essay is a testament to that. (Full Disclosure: I'm probably guilt of this too).

Why was Snake in Brawl? Because Kojima, a friend of Sakurai's, asked to include him in the game. Why is Snake not in Smash 4? Because Sakurai didn't ask for him back, likely because he wasn't a standout like Sonic was. If you want proof that being close to Nintendo matters, there's you're answer.

The bold is the only thing I need to address because it is wrong and people keep flinging this around. Ryu has a strong relationship to Nintendo. People don't want to admit it, but it is true. You quote all these examples of how Meta Gear had been on Nintendo, but all of those are ports, and Twin Snakes was developed by a Nintendo studio. Contrast this to Ryu who not only had numerous games on Nintendo platforms. Moreover, the breakout game for the series was Street Fighter 2 which predominately on Nintendo systems. This is also why Ryu is modeled after his Street Fighter 2 appearance and why the music and stage are from that game. Street Fighter 2 (outside of the arcades) was most iconic to Nintendo. The only main series game not on a Nintendo platform was 3. Snake is iconic to Sony.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes, we get it. You like Snake. Literately every post you've made here has been that topic and the fact that you give me an essay is a testament to that. (Full Disclosure: I'm probably guilt of this too).

Why was Snake in Brawl? Because Kojima, a friend of Sakurai's, asked to include him in the game. Why is Snake not in Smash 4? Because Sakurai didn't ask for him back, likely because he wasn't a standout like Sonic was. If you want proof that being close to Nintendo matters, there's you're answer.

The bold is the only thing I need to address because it is wrong and people keep flinging this around. Ryu has a strong relationship to Nintendo. People don't want to admit it, but it is true. You quote all these examples of how Meta Gear had been on Nintendo, but all of those are ports, and Twin Snakes was developed by a Nintendo studio. Contrast this to Ryu who not only had numerous games on Nintendo platforms. Moreover, the breakout game for the series was Street Fighter 2 which predominately on Nintendo systems. This is also why Ryu is modeled after his Street Fighter 2 appearance and why the music and stage are from that game. Street Fighter 2 (outside of the arcades) was most iconic to Nintendo. The only main series game not on a Nintendo platform was 3. Snake is iconic to Sony.
As someone who's accepted that Snake may never return, this is BS. Snake got in before Sonic, and you're 'Snake's iconic to Sony' argument is dumb as not only was RAIDEN in PSABR but there's the fact that MGS4, a Sony exclusive was announced before Snake in Brawl. That's not what happened.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Im curious what people said about this back when it first was reported: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-didnt-even-consider-snake-for-the-new-super-smash-bros

I know it probably means nothing, I was just curious as to what people said about it because I just recently read it. This plus the fact Kojima not having any idea if Snake was in Smash 4, leads me to this having some type of substance.

For those of you that are curious. I am a fan of Snake returning. I talk about it with my brother a ton about how cool it would be to have him back. I HATE cutting characters. I personally just don't find his return likely anymore.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Believe it or not I think Dixie may have a better chance than K. Rool.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Im curious what people said about this back when it first was reported: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/sakurai-didnt-even-consider-snake-for-the-new-super-smash-bros

I know it probably means nothing, I was just curious as to what people said about it because I just recently read it. This plus the fact Kojima not having any idea if Snake was in Smash 4, leads me to this having some type of substance.

For those of you that are curious. I am a fan of Snake returning. I talk about it with my brother a ton about how cool it would be to have him back. I HATE cutting characters. I personally just don't find his return likely anymore.
I used to have a very odd/ strict expectation on what smash should be and what characters should be in it. I always felt he wasn't a good fit for Smash, and was pleased by this article. But Sakurai's inconsistant 'rules' and statements have basically destroyed any personal ideals I have about the roster. I used to form expectations based on these percieved 'rules' which would form my ideals for the roster.

I didnt think we'd ever get Ryu because of the no fighting character statement. There's always exceptions to the rule... ROB originating as a peripheral, lucario originating from an animated movie, animal crossing getting a rep, etc.

I don't really know where to draw the line anymore, I consider anything possible with debatable degrees of likihood varying character to character.

I guess I just sway to whats popular or what I think would be fun.

Burruni

Smash Hero
What Dixie has over K. Rool:
1) Has appeared more recently
2) Was planned as part of a tag-team with Diddy in Brawl, proving that she was "fighter worthy" in some capacity in Sakurai's eyes before.
3) Likely would be simpler to make, using Diddy's model as a base.

What K. Rool has over Dixie:
1) Higher popularity
2) More impact/dominance in the series.
3) Has been a high-demand choice for far longer.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones

Actually, Scol, gotta correct you on one tiny detail: Not a lot of the Metal Gear fanbase considers Twin Snakes the definitive version of MGS1. They treat it like a separate thing (almost anathema in a lot of cases). Censorship, the Matrix-inspired fight cutscenes, the MGS2 mechanics literally breaking boss fights...the list goes on. Still, you're not wrong.

Ok, real quick: All of the SF games on Ninty platforms have been ports. None of them were built specifically from the ground-up for the console (except maybe the handhelds). It's been the same with pretty much every other iteration of the game on other platforms as well. So your argument is complete **** based off of that premise alone about "ports." What matters is that Snake had his time in the sun there on Ninty platforms at all.

Also, kinda unrelated, Twin Snakes, MGS and Ghost Babel on GBA...those weren't attempts at 1:1 ports of their respective games. They're markedly different in execution, especially in the case of MGS/Ghost Babel on GBA.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

So were all the releases of Street Fighter 2. All debuted in arcades first. In fact, save for Super Street Fighter IV and Ultra Street Fighter IV, all releases in the entire series debuted on arcade. Just admit you're only using that argument to justify Sakurai's decision to not bring him back.

You don't speak for Sakurai, so stop acting like it. In general, you've been WRONG about most of the things implemented in Smash 4. I was right on at least 75% when it came to our arguments and what came to be. So **** off.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
These arguments are starting to come off as personal attacks...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So were all the releases of Street Fighter 2. All debuted in arcades first. In fact, save for Super Street Fighter IV and Ultra Street Fighter IV, all releases in the entire series debuted on arcade. Just admit you're only using that argument to justify Sakurai's decision to not bring him back.

You don't speak for Sakurai, so stop acting like it. In general, you've been WRONG about most of the things implemented in Smash 4. I was right on at least 75% when it came to our arguments and what came to be. So **** off.
75% of the time you're right all the time.

90% of statisics are made up on the spot.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Metal Face gif.gif

Arguments and personal attacks are different things, guys. Try not to mix them up, it'll be better for all of us that way.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Has anyone considered the possibility that they don't release a character til the 3rd to celebrate the end of the ballot? If the character(s) is in the new update, they don't necessarily need to be made available til a later date. Sure, dataminers will find them, but is that a real concern of Sakurai?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Has anyone considered the possibility that they don't release a character til the 3rd to celebrate the end of the ballot? If the character(s) is in the new update, they don't necessarily need to be made available til a later date. Sure, dataminers will find them, but is that a real concern of Sakurai?
It should be a concern to Sakurai, because it happened before with Ryu and Roy getting leaked early. Granted, its possible they've got a way to prevent dataminers from getting into that data, but its hard to tell...

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
It should be a concern to Sakurai, because it happened before with Ryu and Roy getting leaked early. Granted, its possible they've got a way to prevent dataminers from getting into that data, but its hard to tell...
After how many times Sakurai's work has been leaked, I wouldn't be surprised if he just said *** it. Haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom