• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Many people in the NintenZone thread are currently theorizing the same theory I had with ballot characters and that the "vote for your favorite video game character" implies that we'll get more third parties.

I have less faith in Dixie and Chorus Kids because of pre ballot ending soon, and if they wanted to add them, it would've been added now. And I can only see Wolf being the last pre ballot left.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
My predictions are,

One Veteran
Two First-party Newcomers
One Third-party Character

These are...

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Shovel Knight or Professor Layton

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think K. Rool became a costume before any Kong because he's bipedal and more easily fits into a human mold than a hunched ape. Otherwise, why on earth not have DK or Diddy costumes already?

What's this about placeholders?
A Diddy Gunner would be pretty cool actually.

Many people in the NintenZone thread are currently theorizing the same theory I had with ballot characters and that the "vote for your favorite video game character" implies that we'll get more third parties.
It most likely doesn't mean anything. They couldn't put "vote for your favorite Nintendo characters" because third-parties were eligible in the ballot. We may get a third-party (yes, a third-party, I don't believe that we're getting more than one) but "vote for your favorite video game characters" doesn't necessarily mean that we're getting any.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I have a difficult time seeing any more third parties from companies not currently involved.
But anythings possible, I suppose.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I have less faith in Dixie and Chorus Kids because of pre ballot ending soon, and if they wanted to add them, it would've been added now. And I can only see Wolf being the last pre ballot left.
No, it doesn't imply that they're adding copious amounts of Third Party characters. All it's saying is that we can vote for them, not that they'll be the focus of the Ballot.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We already got a third party to boot.

At best, I might expect one more, but certainly not more than three.

The average user doesn't want purely third parties as DLC.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Honestly, would Sakurai really care about this at all when he's considering his ballot choices?
Well, it's a question of what people want in regards to a ballot measuring what people want.

It's worth considering.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I doubt he'll add as much as your prediction since it'll be A LOT of legal work to include them.
With SEGA and Platinum Games close to Nintendo and SEGA characters being in Smash, I doubt lots of work would be required for Bayonetta.

Level-5 already have very close relationship with Nintendo, aiding with Yo-kai Watch's international release, which could make things easier to acquire rights for a Level-5 character.

Shovel Knight, with indies and Nintendo having very close relationships as of recent.

It's less work to acquire than you think. Considering the majority of ballot choices across the internet are notably third-parties requested, it's a bit of a reason why I can see ballot choices going from there.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
With SEGA and Platinum Games close to Nintendo and SEGA characters being in Smash, I doubt lots of work would be required for Bayonetta.

Level-5 already have very close relationship with Nintendo, aiding with Yo-kai Watch's international release, which could make things easier to acquire rights for a Level-5 character.

Shovel Knight, with indies and Nintendo having very close relationships as of recent.

It's less work to acquire than you think. Considering the majority of ballot choices across the internet are notably third-parties requested, it's a bit of a reason why I can see ballot choices going from there.
I seriously hope your idea of fan service doesn't coincide with Sakurai's because purely third parties over Nintendo newcomers is just absurd, regardless of how easy or hard rights are to acquire and all that jazz.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
We already got a third party to boot.

At best, I might expect one more, but certainly not more than three.

The average user doesn't want purely third parties as DLC.
The average Smashboards user.
Outside of this forum, aside from King K. Rool...
Shantae, Shovel Knight, Banjo & Kazooie...there is very much hype for third parties.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If there are more third-parties like BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 says, than possibly...

Wolf
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Shovel Knight
Professor Layton
Arle Nadja?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's absurd to think from your perspective, but I think it's very possible at this point with pre ballot closing in.
I'm likely not the only one with said perspective, and I can safely bet that anyone who wants a Nintendo newcomer will agree.

Anyone with a sense of BALANCE can agree.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's honor this being the first time Blue has not put Young Link and Pichu on his list for DLC. :088:

But seriously, I don't see a single 3rd Party at this point coming as a newcomer. Even Snake is a far shot.

You have less faith in a character that was nearly in Brawl than you do for a couple of extremely obscure 3rd Party characters?
She wasn't "nearly," in Brawl. In early stages, she was part of Diddy as a fighter, in a tag-team akin to DHD, RosaLuma, or Icies. This was ultimately dropped.

However, I have more faith in Dixie than pretty much any 3rd Party.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There's actually nothing objectively wrong with just third-party newcomers for DLC.
A sense of balance is completely arbitrary and I am certain Sakurai does not care about it.

Besides, we have 3 Nintendo characters already. They are not newcomers, but new Nintendo characters are probably being prioritized for where they would get more mileage - aka the next game.
Which is something the ballot notes...and also it never specifies that they choosing just Nintendo characters.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
WOHOO!!! I wanted The Pirate Ship back! :D.

Also: This is the FIRST mii costume I am buying. Never thought Nintendo would persuade me that quick! Getting that exact mii too. :D

Okay Nintendo, you know who's next right? =D
Phosphora , Medusa & Hades PLEASE!

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You have less faith in a character that was nearly in Brawl than you do for a couple of extremely obscure 3rd Party characters?
With pre-ballot characters closing in, I personally think Dixie is less likely.
The chances for Dixie for me went from 60% to 30%. She still is the most likely Nintendo newcomer, but it's not saying much anymore.

I'm likely not the only one with said perspective, and I can safely bet that anyone who wants a Nintendo newcomer will agree.

Anyone with a sense of BALANCE can agree.
I want Chorus Kids the most for a Nintendo newcomer and they are in my top 10 and I personally think the newcomers from the ballot are going to focus on 3rd parties.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Let's honor this being the first time Blue has not put Young Link and Pichu on his list for DLC. :088:

But seriously, I don't see a single 3rd Party at this point coming as a newcomer. Even Snake is a far shot.

She wasn't "nearly," in Brawl. In early stages, she was part of Diddy as a fighter, in a tag-team akin to DHD, RosaLuma, or Icies. This was ultimately dropped.

However, I have more faith in Dixie than pretty much any 3rd Party.
She was "nearly" in Brawl. As in, she was a planned character. That constitutes being "nearly" in Brawl.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I want Chorus Kids the most for a Nintendo newcomer and I personally think the newcomers from the ballot are going to focus on 3rd parties.
You still only truly want one Nintendo newcomer compared to THREE third parties.

Again, balance.

But we'll have to wait and see. I think the idea of mainly third parties is absurd. For Mii costumes, go right ahead. As newcomers, no way.

But let the Ballot speak, not a theory.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The chances for Dixie for me went from 60% to 30%. She still is the most likely Nintendo newcomer, but it's not saying much anymore.

I want Chorus Kids the most for a Nintendo newcomer and they are in my top 10 and I personally think the newcomers from the ballot are going to focus on 3rd parties.
What makes you think the focus will lie on third parties, aside from the blurb mentioning Video Game characters?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I get the theory that we may only get 3rd Party newcomers as DLC (I'm actually one of the, if not the first person to throw it out as a possibility) but it's still an unfounded theory with no solid evidence to support it. I'd still consider Dixie to be a lot more plausible than extremely obscure 3rd Party characters.

If we get any more 3rd Party characters, I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't either Rayman, or one from Namco/Capcom/Sega.

No offence but your prediction reads off far more like a wishlist than it does a prediction with choices like Layton, SK and Bayonetta.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
What makes you think the focus will lie on third parties, aside from the blurb mentioning Video Game characters?
Really that's the only main reason why I see it happening.

No offence but your prediction reads off far more like a wishlist than it does a prediction with choices like Layton, SK and Bayonetta.
It is fan-service isn't it?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You still only truly want one Nintendo newcomer compared to THREE third parties.

Again, balance.

But we'll have to wait and see. I think the idea of mainly third parties is absurd. For Mii costumes, go right ahead. As newcomers, no way.

But let the Ballot speak, not a theory.
I would not mind having so many 3rd parties, ever. (unless they are not in any way relevant to Nintendo) But yeah to think it as likely is indeed absurd.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No where did I say it was likely.

I personally think the newcomers from the ballot are going to focus on 3rd parties.
Then what are you saying?

You do realize you are basing this entirely off of an assumption, right?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
WOHOO!!! I wanted The Pirate Ship back! :D.

Also: This is the FIRST mii costume I am buying. Never thought Nintendo would persuade me that quick! Getting that exact mii too. :D

Okay Nintendo, you know who's next right? =D
Phosphora , Medusa & Hades PLEASE!
Huurrr, whell I gus dis means Virdididi is diconfirmeded, LOLS

HOW is that thing used a SWORD??

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

It is fan-service isn't it?
Yeah, but it's not BluePikmin-specific fanservice any more than it is TheAnvil-specific fanservice. My sig isn't a prediction by any means, it's a complete wishlist.

Just think of it this way:
Tails/Rayman/Leon/Other Iconic 3rd Party character is going to take the same amount of time and resources to make as one of your obscure choices, and appeal to a much wider audience. Which I think adheres to Sakurai's instillation of fanservice a lot more.

I get its your prediction and you're entitled to it, but I'd suggest you lower your expectations if you don't want to end up extremely disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom