• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Training Regimen

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
After Apex 2012, I think it's safe to say that Japan spends a lot more time in training mode than we do. I'd say it's a good idea to follow suit and improve to be the best we can be with DK, as well as discover new mix-ups and strategies to improve our character's metagame.

I practiced in training mode for a long period of time yesterday. I should probably do that more often because while messing around, I've found out a few more tricks that I think are useful.

A lot of these might be known, and as you guys know I like to mess around with up-b cancels constantly lol. But I'll list my practicing regimen anyway, and what I think could be used more =)

1) First, practice slow dropping through a side platform on Battlefield with MK. Why MK, you ask? Because this is the best way to practice the proper buffering and also to determine that you are performing it correctly. When you drop through a platform with MK and use up air, if you buffer a jump + up air IMMEDIATELY, you will have time for an additional 2 up airs, followed by the beginning frames of neutral air. When perfected, you will be able to drop through the platform and without ever touching the ground: fall up air, jump up air 2x, n-air, land on BF platform.

A cool application of this practice is that you will now be able to slow drop an up air, into buffered shuttle loop cancel. If you hold down as soon as the shuttle loop begins, you will auto drop through the platform laglessly (reminiscent of the Japanese players' shuttle loop cancels that were flaunted at Apex haha)

2) Now, what was the purpose behind that? Well, now that you've mastered slow dropping from a platform it becomes very useful. For instance, one such use I've found for DK is to slow drop, double jump + up air (which now covers a majority of the platform since it is only slightly above platform level), into buffered up-b which will laglessly land on top of the Battlefield platform. If the up air connects, this will actually combo at mid/low percents if you follow their DI with up-b instead of opting for the platform cancel.

I'm sure there are many other cool applications with this subtle platform technique, so be sure to experiment!

3) When practicing DK tech skill, I made sure to perform a few JC up-b OoS, and then I moved onto running shield into JC up-b OoS. Similarly, a few reps of JC up smash OoS followed by running shield into JC up smash OoS. I'm sure there are uses for these, because they are too cool looking not to. Also, I have an idea of how to apply up smash out of shield aside from on reaction. There may be a way to bait out opportunities for it...

4) Which leads me to what I mastered as of Apex 2012. Props to all the Marth mains out there (especially Mr. R <3) who have always made use of this dashing technique. I believe it may be correlated to true pivoting, but I am honestly not savvy on the terminology being that I hardly follow the boards anymore =P

I believe this technique increases DK's movement/mix-up options by a large margin, as well as increases his overall ground speed/coverage. If you've ever noticed a Marth dashing away, then immediately dash back in with dancing blade seemingly without pause- it's bc there is a specific input required! I noticed Rich Brown asked about this recently so this is for you too bro lmao. This alone has had me excited enough to enter training mode and mess around.

Here it is: Fox trot away, followed by an immediate dash input in the same direction, then a dash in the opposite direction. There is a certain rhythm to the dash inputs that is easy to demonstrate in person but is difficult to describe in words. The best way I can describe it is to fox trot (away), then dash dance (same direction into opposite direction). When performed correctly, you will have created space between you and your opponent, as well as closed the gap almost immediately.

This may not seem useful for DK at first, but with the proper mix-ups... it's amazing. It gets DK out of a dangerous space very quickly, and then allows for a pressuring follow up. I have used it just recently in a bracket match with MikeHAZE, an amazing Marth player obviously =P, who relies on zoning and perfect spacing. Some mix-ups include double fox trotting away before dashing in, fox trot away then dashing in with a shield (power shields are actually very easy to perform with this), fox trot away then dashing in with up-b (great option for pressure since most people will have unshielded by the time you give them space).

In the case of applying this fox trot to dash dance with JC up smash OoS, I've found that characters that like to zone with f-air (MK, Marth, etc.) will have trouble reacting right away. You can catch their zoned f-air with a powershield, and then JC up smash OoS. I've yet to pull it off, but I have had my fair share of powershields, though I usually opt for shield drop down smash.

5) I also practiced the invincicopter quite a bit, and for the life of me I have yet to be able to perform it consistently. =/ If you guys have any tips (*cough Ripple cough*), please let me know what makes it easier for you. Even harder still is the running shield into descending variation, because there seem to be little to no visual/auditory ques to work with.

6) A neat trick I picked up from Europe is the auto fall through platform cancel, notably on Smashville since that's the stage where it gets the most use. As opposed to a normal platform cancel (flicking the control stick down upon reaching the height of the platform out of a full hop), this cancel allows for you to immediately land and descend immediately. It is executed by pressing down + Z simultaneously upon reaching the level of the platform. You can also use down + L or R, whichever you are comfortable with. The trick though, is to platform cancel with an air dodge since that is what allows you to instantly drop through.

Applications for DK so far that I've started using: instant drop through to up-b lagless land! This will allow for sharking through the moving Smashville platform and then landing on top of it, which is great because those hitboxes carry into follow ups if any of them connect and you follow their DI =)

The best, and most fun way to practice this is to perform it over and over consecutively. As in full jump from the ground, platform drop to jump, platform drop, etc. In theory, you can perform this AT infinitely without ever touching the ground again lol. It's good to master if you are into ultimate mind games, because who is going to see double platform drop to up air/Giant punch coming? =P Beware though, this is risky because you can be hit at any time. It might look amazing, but it's definitely vulnerable.

7) One of the last things I messed around with was full hop d-air/f-air on Battlefield, to buffered up-b lagless land on the side Battlefield platforms. Both moves are slow as hell, but have great hitboxes for covering the top platform! D-air hits on DK's face, so it can connect unexpectedly, and then you can land safely on the side platform with up-b. F-air is very slow, but sweeps the entire top platform with its outward knockback hitboxes, and can also lead to follow ups with up-b, even if they are shield pushed off the platform.

8) Oh, and just a basic tip that has helped me out tremendously- know which moves are 100% punishable by down smash out of shield and go for it! Also, try to bait unsafe aerials on shield while sitting on a platform with DK. Hold your shield, angle it down, and then if they so much as unsafely space up air with ZSS, shield drop down smash! It connects surprisingly low, and leads to great punishes/early kills due to the height of the platform ^_^

Please feel free to post what you guys practice on your own time, as it may help other DK's in their personal training experience! I'm also very interested as to what you guys have mastered and what mix-ups you've come up with.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
holy **** there's some very awesome stuff in here I really want to go to training now, especially with that fox trotting thing, sounds like a spacing necessity.
#6 with the auto fall platform cancel is weird for me because I can't actually NOT do that. I can auto platform cancel around 6 times in a row, and yes, it does make an incredible mindgame for punching. Someone should tell me how to platform cancel and not automatically fall back through though because I'm clearly doing something wrong here
thanks again.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
holy **** there's some very awesome stuff in here I really want to go to training now, especially with that fox trotting thing, sounds like a spacing necessity.
#6 with the auto fall platform cancel is weird for me because I can't actually NOT do that. I can auto platform cancel around 6 times in a row, and yes, it does make an incredible mindgame for punching. Someone should tell me how to platform cancel and not automatically fall back through though because I'm clearly doing something wrong here
thanks again.
All you have to do is press down on the way up from your jump, then return it to the neutral position right away. It's a flicking motion of the joystick, really. No other inputs are required. Just press down =)

Ruinn

Smash Ace
So much words I don't really understand yet. ;-; oh well, I guess it'll come with being here. Will you should totally get some dk dittos in with me sometime on wifi. :p

Thanks for the guide :D

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
A while ago. I was playing a Marth on battle field and I down smashed from above the platform, and he was hit/ died from under the platform, So I tested to see who it hits, and here it is.

BF Dsmash from Above - Hits.
Marth, Samus, ZSS, Peach ( If she stretches her arm up ), C.Falcon, Bowser, Ganon, D3, Dk, Ike, Snake.

It requires a specific spacing, all you have to do is line your Dsmash with theur head.

I'll get testing this on lower platforms like on Lylat, as well as the ones on Ps1/ Ps1.

Edit: I fell I should add this here too..

20 Frame Advantage when Blocking Falco's Fsmash.
18 Frame Advantage when Blocking Luigi Missile.

Also, against walls, D-Tilt -> Full Charge punch will hit if they attempt and attack that hits on Frame 5 or slower.

crifer

Smash Lord
good job will ;-)

after your inspiration for me at APEX I tried to use the dash away, fox trot back thing more and I kinda like it. At first, it really looks not that amazing, but it really increses your speed and somehow, idk why, makes it easier to powershield stuff.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
So much words I don't really understand yet. ;-; oh well, I guess it'll come with being here. Will you should totally get some dk dittos in with me sometime on wifi. :p

Thanks for the guide :D
Sure thing! I was actually just playing a bit of wifi before lol.

Thanks for the additions guys! Especially 1pokemastr, some very useful stuff there. DK can hit tall chars with d-smash on platforms wordd.

Yeah Crifer I've been super inspired myself since Apex. I feel like there is a lot we have to explore, and what better way to figure things out than to work on DK's movement/basic mobility options.

:phone:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Also, hand slap can hit people from under platforms while you're on them as well.
We can hit everyone who is larger than Metaknight on Bf.
On lower platforms like Lylats side ones, I believe it hits everyone.

Also, I should note that the second slap has a Larger Hitbox than the first one.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
I don't see many other people do this, but yeah, DK's Dsmash hits SO low!

I just use it to edgeguard with what we call the "Violator." It's like DK curls his wrists over the ledge, and if you time it right it hits them off the stage and spikes them. I mean, it can still kill if you don't stage spike them, but it's just cooler, is all. =) (Will smiley)

Raziek describes it as "beastlicious", and it really is. Here's a vid of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9ir_GrNeM&feature=player_detailpage#t=206s

:DDDDDDDDD

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yeah, I use that a lot, and not to mention how much range it has.. they think they're safe, but, they're out!

Neon!

Smash Lord
I never knew dk could true pivot also lol. I've been working with it recently and it seems to work well especially when combined with RAR, so many directional inputs!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I never knew dk could true pivot also lol. I've been working with it recently and it seems to work well especially when combined with RAR, so many directional inputs!
All Characters can true pivot.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
sad will didnt give me shoutouts :(
Orion!!! Sorry!!! =x So many people taught me new things at Apex that I didn't get a chance to give proper credit to everyone.

So here they are: shoutouts to Orion, Crifer, Micaelis, Mr. R, and everyone else I played in friendlies that taught me helpful AT's =)

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Hey good stuff Will for putting this up!
New gimmicks and tricks are always useful for DK by atleast one way or another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_olApk3wWs
When I saw 1:50 I got an interesting idea.
What if you could side-B the landing opponent and possibly get him in a grounded state before he can shield? Im sure Will or some other DK player on the boards has thought about this before. I'm just curious if it could work.

Grounded spinning Kong (or aerial so that you land laglessly on a platform or to the ledge) out of shield is also a pretty good forward OoS option to use at low or mid- damage. If the opponent doesn't SDI then It'll deal with 9-20% (or even more if all hits connect) and if they do SDI then it kinda works as a GTFO move leaving DK the space that he needs. I've started using this move more recently.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey jebu, it can and does work =P the b-air out of air release can be used to condition them into attempting a shield grab. So the next time you try it after a few times where you used b-air in succession, use side b and they are likely to be caught off guard.

:phone:

Neon!

Smash Lord
One thing DK's need to do more when they're on the ledge is jump-side-b. Side-B allows you to cancel your jumping momentum and comes out fairly fast, I cant tell you how many times this has worked for me. This is also a superior punishing option when an opponent barely recovers on stage (like marth) as opposed to just using uair.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
Have you guys noticed that the platforms on lylat have similar properties to the smashville platform? I can't confirmed this yet but I'm fairly certain you can platform cancel on that stage as well.

Also Will you and every other DK who competed at Apex should link your matches in the video thread if possible :)

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Have you guys noticed that the platforms on lylat have similar properties to the smashville platform? I can't confirmed this yet but I'm fairly certain you can platform cancel on that stage as well.

Also Will you and every other DK who competed at Apex should link your matches in the video thread if possible :)
lol dude that's not really a new thing, Platform cancelling works on any moving platforms of a certain height. I'm not even sure if height matters, just that it's moving maybe.
Try it on the platforms on delfino when they are rising out of the ground and you'll see what I mean, Platform cancelling works on several stages.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I thought that would be the case but I wasn't sure about the other stages since I never intentionally messed around with it bar smashville. Thanks for clearing that up lol.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
hmm good threat will =)
also I was thinking about something
do you use your upb or punch armor to defend yourself against smashes or cartain moves?
because I often use my punch at high percentages to trade so they take knockback while I only take damage. so I get damage but I also get a kill.
just wondering if people use that=)

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Uhhhh, Goofy... That's like, DK, in a nutshell. In order to main DK, you have to do that. If I never did that, I'd never win, haha, and other DK's prolly think the same thing. It's the reason he has super armor, dudeson.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
Sorry if that came off as rudee. :p

Iunno how well this works, but sometimes against Wario, if they're a chronic bite counter person, you can do jab 1, then run back and do a pivot fsmash. Punishes whatever options they use. Do0n't get too horny for it, but it's actually supercool.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
my favorite thing to do against wario is OH NO I DIDN'T SP-
OH **** I GOT GRABBED
OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN IT'S OVER PLEASE DON'T DO THIS NO IM ALREADY AT 260 NOT FTHr-
then I lose a stock and it happens again.
counterpicks amirite.

but in all seriouslinessisms, that can work sometimes. I usually ftilt like three times in a row well spaced and if the wario bite armors one of them then I know he has confidence to do it again. The next time I do f tilt, then expecting him to catch on, I either do sh headbutt or like oyu said, dash back fsmash.
But I got grabbed before then, so yeah

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
no problem =)
I was just wondering aperantly it's used a lot =)
My dk is not to good but maybe I can learn something here. =)

allens

Smash Rookie
Thanks for posting this Will

you're definately right about the japanese spending more time in training mode.

this is a great attitude to have and a great place to send the DK community.

In order to improve technical practice must be done.

I will be doing my own similar training regimen.

most recently I have done everything you have mentioned, with addition to the GFSC (currently at about 80% success), once i get it down i'll try and apply it into my matches.

practicing buffering turn arounds after landing for a desired side of U-tilt is on my next agenda. (infront of you comes out frame 6, but the other side *around 11 or so* comes out with more range).

something i didn't know until recently which DK's might find interesting is that when crouching all characters get a bonus 2 frames each side of the power shield. making power shielding much easier (good for matchups like falco or pit)

I am very keen on working MR R's fox trotting AT's into DKs arsenal.

so yeah thank you very much for taking the initiative to write this Will :)
i appreciate it over here in australia ^^

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
The fox trotting that Will taught me at APEX pretty much lowered my MU in Wario vs Marth from -2 to -1 imo. Plus, I watched Gluttony (Euro Wario, da best) and he does the same thing. It's one of the reasons he's so good at the MU.

That spacing trick is amazing at disrupting others spacings and allowing characters to get in and easily punish a character who is throwing out "safe, well-spaced aerials".

Shout out to Will for being the best

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Yes, this is the kind of motivation we need guys. Keep practicing =)

There's one thing I'd like to note as of the end of Apex 2012: I know MK is banned at most tournaments nowadays, but it's still good to practice vs him. Seeing as he has the fastest and most consistent punishes in the game, you will have to play at a much higher level than usual to consistently take him out. In light of this, encourage your training partners to continue fighting you with him =x

Also, a few things I've tried to implement more often: DK's n-air, b-air, and up-air can all clash with MK's glide attack given you space and time them correctly. We've all tried to air dodge it at the right time, but that hardly ever works seeing as the hitbox is so large and can be safely spaced from a distance.

In addition, similarly to how Peach can d-air to counter the top of an aerial shuttle loop, ROB can f-air it, etc., DK can up-b it. The strong, invincible hitbox on frames 4-6 of DK's up-b can be likened to a midair powershield, with damaging properties. Never count out those invincibility frames, as well as DK's ability to fly to safety after connecting with an aerial hit.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I try to play against metaknights, despite my complaints. Problem is, a lot of people in NC are super into the ban, so everyone has been pressured into learning other people. I play a ton of marths and falcos but the mks I do get to play are super rusty, no need for tactics lol. i need to go OoS

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I think that that it is possible to improve evry mistake we can make and that we can bring dk to an higher tier placing together =)
I mean Will proved that dk can be beast at Apex.

EDIT: All dk's in here are great =)

Ruinn

Smash Ace
Hey will, would it be possible if you could get a recording of you describing your fox-trot thingy in point 4? I more of a visual grasper and if you could show me what you were describing it'd probably help alot, thanks!

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be Will, anybody who knows what he's talking about and could put it in a video, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks! ^.^

crifer

Smash Lord
Hey will, would it be possible if you could get a recording of you describing your fox-trot thingy in point 4? I more of a visual grasper and if you could show me what you were describing it'd probably help alot, thanks!

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be Will, anybody who knows what he's talking about and could put it in a video, it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks! ^.^
It´s not DK, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIqliJg3Do @ 0.08 you can see Mr.R doing a fox trot back and immediately asap does a dash dance back.
So the input is <- (fox trot/dash) , <- -> (starting dashing left, but cancel it in a dash dance towards the enemy).

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I don't know if it's old if so nvm
but I messed around a bit with upb at bf
what I did was lagless up from platform to platform.
standing on a side platform and run of like you are uproaching but right before you touch the ground go back with upb or cross over to the other platform.
you can also go to the higher platform by using upb right at the moment you run off the platform.
this can be used as uproach fake-out or defending.
this is an easy mix up with other platform tricks.=)

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I don't know if it's old if so nvm
but I messed around a bit with upb at bf
what I did was lagless up from platform to platform.
standing on a side platform and run of like you are uproaching but right before you touch the ground go back with upb or cross over to the other platform.
you can also go to the higher platform by using upb right at the moment you run off the platform.
this can be used as uproach fake-out or defending.
this is an easy mix up with other platform tricks.=)
'Tis old my friend.
For me, anyway.

Top Bottom