• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Patch 1.10 Changes

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
From what I messed around with up smash wiffs on buried players. I can't tell if in the video the mario mashed out at the perfect timing or you are hitting the buried player with the new improve hitbox.
Seems like mario flew to fast for you to be hitting him out of the buried state.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Please check out my post in the meta game thread, about killing out if side B

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I normally always try to time up smash out of side b.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
This may be the wrong place for it, but how do you guys get the side B in? I feel like I've mastered most of DK, but I find my self ignoring that move unless I'm hanging on the edge and use it on somone waiting for me there. It sounds like there is a lot you can do after burying an opponent (especially the Dair ~> up air mentioned earlier) and I don't want to miss out on an important aspect of dong expansion...

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
I use it to land when I know my opponent is trying to shield grab me or when I have a read or want to punish someone in free fall. Other than that I use it to break shields since it's one of the best in the game. I use it to break people's shield if they sit at the ledge and shield waiting for me to get up, or when I'm underneath them and they're on a platform and they think they're safe in shield, you can also use it after bair strings or if you're pressuring their shield with dtilt since it has such a big range. Usually just a mix up since it can be punished but if you guess right they're either grounded or have a broken shield both of which can convert to kills.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
For Down B I think it's great for covering ledge options. As long as you're spaced correctly and can stop it when they jump off the ledge (if they do), then it's pretty difficult to deal with. I like to throw out Side B when I've used something like Fsmash and I read them shielding again. If they let go of shield before I hit them, they get grounded. But the easier option if they see it coming would be to spot dodge or roll, so I guess it's not always a good option.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm no DK player, but wow. Went to traningmode and had fun killing ppl at around 65%.
How much does DI affect this?
Also, how does rage affect the Cargo Uthrow?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'm no DK player, but wow. Went to traningmode and had fun killing ppl at around 65%.
How much does DI affect this?
Also, how does rage affect the Cargo Uthrow?
Sup Zigma. Seems like a lot of people are becoming interested in messing around with DK these days lol. You have to read their DI if they are small or towards the upper end of the KO range, otherwise it won't matter. Rage makes it KO even earlier, but makes the window of opportunity smaller. Eventually, this thread will be updated to include rage combo %'s. The details of the ding dong/kongo kombo/cargo combo/whatever ppl are calling it are at the bottom of the second post.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
This seems to be the best game so far to be a heavy weight wouldn't you guys agree? We are bigger and better than ever. But ya I feel like we kinda out class most of the heavys. DDD seems to be close though from what i hear right? Or are the DDD's full of hot air? ah!.... Nobudy?... Aw... lol
I'm a DDD main and use DK as a fun secondary. On release DDD was definitely better but he's gotten zero buffs :sadeyes: while DK has gotten a bunch.

I think DK is better right now. DK has better frame data, run speed, combo game with these recent buffs (although DDD's is still really good), DK punch, amazing bair, shield breakers and close to the same edguarding ability. The only thing DDD really has on him is recovery and the gordo. And the gordo isn't useful except for spacing/edgeguarding in most matchups and DK's recovery is workable when you get used to it.

I feel like DK's frame data and early KOs with cargo to upair on platforms make him better against the top tiers. And I feel like he's definitely better than DDD against campers because of his run speed.

I think DK is mid tier or possibly high mid whereas DDD is low mid or low tier. I'm much better with DDD personally but I think that's just because I've put way more time into him than DK.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I'm a DDD main and use DK as a fun secondary. On release DDD was definitely better but he's gotten zero buffs :sadeyes: while DK has gotten a bunch.

I think DK is better right now. DK has better frame data, run speed, combo game with these recent buffs (although DDD's is still really good), DK punch, amazing bair, shield breakers and close to the same edguarding ability. The only thing DDD really has on him is recovery and the gordo. And the gordo isn't useful except for spacing/edgeguarding in most matchups and DK's recovery is workable when you get used to it.

I feel like DK's frame data and early KOs with cargo to upair on platforms make him better against the top tiers. And I feel like he's definitely better than DDD against campers because of his run speed.

I think DK is mid tier or possibly high mid whereas DDD is low mid or low tier. I'm much better with DDD personally but I think that's just because I've put way more time into him than DK.
I love donkey kong, but honestly I feel like it's hard for me to call him "high" tier. Maybe upper middle tier. But he gets combo'ed easily and like u said his recovery leaves something to be desired. I would elaborate more but I have a college final to go do.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I love donkey kong, but honestly I feel like it's hard for me to call him "high" tier. Maybe upper middle tier. But he gets combo'ed easily and like u said his recovery leaves something to be desired. I would elaborate more but I have a college final to go do.
I agree, and I think he definitely has a hard ceiling (as all heavyweights do) at high mid tier. He's not getting past that point - his recovery and most importantly his huge hurtbox will forever keep him out of high tier.

Last edited:

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Hey all, ksizzle of VitaminZK here. We have a video series detailing a breakdown on the latest patch and we recently released a video for various characters including DK. Hope you enjoy!

Top Bottom