• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: 101 A primer for newcomers.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
downB will punish rolls, BUT Dsmash is much more effective. A charge DK punch will do it also. Usually they will roll into your shoulder sweetspot that vertical kills.

Great matches COW. lol

Rell, next time player, it's you and I. Jais was all about playing. lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
downB will punish rolls, BUT Dsmash is much more effective. A charge DK punch will do it also. Usually they will roll into your shoulder sweetspot that vertical kills.

Great matches COW. lol

Rell, next time player, it's you and I. Jais was all about playing. lol
in a way it's better but if they manage to dodge they get a free hit, with down-b it prevents counter attacks and dodges and has a constant hit box but does less and its not a kill move. Down-b is for the less aggressive type players

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Guys, On-line Brawl is SOOOO D4mn fun and amazing. Thanks for being there, everyone of you ya.

BUM163

Smash Lord
i been playin different people everyday. go to mlgpro.com and dave has an interview where he sayz how he feels about me in this game. i'm tryin to do big things throwing tournaments, weeklys n crew monthlys. if u have textin on ur phone give me ur number n i give u mines so it be easier for us to play.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
GGs the other day Bum. Your DK is tough as nails, and your brother's Lucas is good too.

I play Ike and I'm looking to get better, so I'll be using him a lot. Hope you dont' mind a lack of DK mirrors.

Bum I'll be hitting you up soon on aim.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
GGs the other day Bum. Your DK is tough as nails, and your brother's Lucas is good too.

I play Ike and I'm looking to get better, so I'll be using him a lot. Hope you dont' mind a lack of DK mirrors.

Bum I'll be hitting you up soon on aim.
Does Bum have a brother that play's Lucas too or is that a shout to me? Thx though. =)

Have any of you guys participated in these On-line tourney's? I think they are a great idea, assuming the wifi settings are optimal and lag is... bearable.

My DK ratings are coming in a few days and hope/want/expect you guys to contribute and debate until we can all agree about where DK stands. =)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Any tips for beating campers? I usually do well with DK, but every other match theres a wolf/pit/pikachu spamming his god **** b move and camping my ***. any way around that?

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, sometimes when I do a back throw they actually go at a downward angle and most of the time they go at an upward angle, I've tried to figured this out, but no luck. Why the Hell does it happen sometime.. Random? Jais says the same thing happens with Lucas.. Is this a system or a Character thing.

when opponent is ~50% you can combo sideB, Dair for double spike ownage. =)

At lower % the best follow up to a sideB is a grounded upB as the damage racked up is ~40%. WOW.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I love grounded up-b but I'm not in the habit of doing it grounded. this may be the key to beating IC's.

The throw is dependent upon their DI, if they DI straight up it sends them at that odd angle. My friend does this every now and then.

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
Yea i'm findn out upb on the ground iz a great move.I'ma in the middle of tryna perfrom it az a counter.Due to the SA Frames.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Good News- Super awesome wavedashing sliding Usmashes discovered.
Bad News- DK's sucks so bad, he's better off just fox trotting than pressing up on the Cstick.

INPUT-
Start a dash,
Cdown immediately, to start an instant running attack
Press up+Z to Kara cancel the running A into a Super sliding Usmash

This is best with Link, Sonic and Jigglypuff.

BUM163

Smash Lord
hey let me know if ya wanna play me. my house is finally fix up and i can play basically anytime. my aim name is oni163 n if u want my wii code, message me here or pm me.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
New SA frames.

Cargo carry, he has Frames for the first 60-120 frames of the opponent on your shoulder.

-This makes the IC match much better as you can throw them now.
-This will utilize hazards like Onett. LOL free car deaths.
-Improves DK's role in group/team Brawl.
-Pick up snake and walk over his own Grenades/motion sensored bombs.

I've really got to update the guide with this new info .
-SA frames
-Stage spike
-Wall infinites

UPDATE-
i've updatd the first post/guide with
-SA frames
-Stage spike
-Wall infinites

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Can somebody confirm this, I'm never able to hit people with the strong grounded UpB from when he raises his fist. Now I think they've removed it in brawl but I'm not givin up! Maybe they shrank the hitbox too much? Or do I need to come to terms with the fact that it's gone?

Great job on the guide Kyle

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
usmash kills uncharged at 76
dsmash kills at 92
fsmash kills from the middle of fd at 80%
Bpunch kills from the middle of fd at 72%
all of these were done against mario. fsmash and bpunch will usually kill around 60-65 if your near the edge

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
What's your favorite way to make use of grabs, Kyle? The backthrow is obviously good, but only at high percents where it kills or medium percents where it can set up for a possible edgeguard with dair, fair, or bair.

I've been able to cargo -> jump off -> dthrow -> fair spike before and it's really fun when it works, but it only works against certain characters and it seems like it would be easy to airdodge, and I don't see anything else you can do with a jumping dthrow toss besides hope a fair hits or up-B back.

Regular dthrow can sometimes put them at just the right distance for an ftilt or a down-B.

Regular upthrow can sometimes lead to an upair, though it's not guaranteed at high percents. I can't get jumping cargo upthrow to upair to work well. Maybe I just need to practice the timing.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Gkriptonite, you are right, it's been removed from the game. In its place, however, DK has super armor frames while he has his hand back like that, which is also useful.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
@Gkryptonite- Grounded upB now has SA on start-up and the biggeest sweetspot on the entire move is the FINAL blow.

@itsthebigfoot- THX a bunch for the confirmations as I've updated the guide some more with those. But the Dsmash looks kinda wimpy to me, I swear it outs sooner than that.

@jwj442-Grabs depends on the damage and location of DK really.

Low%- Grapple, Bash, Dtoss, Charge Fsmash, Hope they recover into it. This works alot actually.
Low%- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Jumping Ftoss, Jumping Uair.
Middle%- Grapple, Bash, Bash, Backtoss to edge for edge-guarding potential. If they DI down they lost.
Middle@corner- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss away from stage hoping to gimp recovery.
Middle/High@Corner- Grapple, Bash, Bash, Cargo, Stage spiking
Any%@Wall- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss, Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss, Grapple...
High%- If Btoss not diminished It will kill.

Utoss, Uair does not combo anymore, you must use, Low/Mid%, Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Jumping Cargo Ftoss, Jump, Uair.

@Cyberglitch- You are my hero. =)

@Everyone- I will be updating the guide with names of all contributers. Thanks for the help everone. =)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
@Gkryptonite- Grounded upB now has SA on start-up and the biggeest sweetspot on the entire move is the FINAL blow.

@itsthebigfoot- THX a bunch for the confirmations as I've updated the guide some more with those. But the Dsmash looks kinda wimpy to me, I swear it outs sooner than that.

@jwj442-Grabs depends on the damage and location of DK really.

Low%- Grapple, Bash, Dtoss, Charge Fsmash, Hope they recover into it. This works alot actually.
Low%- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Jumping Ftoss, Jumping Uair.
Middle%- Grapple, Bash, Bash, Backtoss to edge for edge-guarding potential. If they DI down they lost.
Middle@corner- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss away from stage hoping to gimp recovery.
Middle/High@Corner- Grapple, Bash, Bash, Cargo, Stage spiking
Any%@Wall- Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss, Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Cargo Dtoss, Grapple...
High%- If Btoss not diminished It will kill.

Utoss, Uair does not combo anymore, you must use, Low/Mid%, Grapple, Bash, Cargo, Jumping Cargo Ftoss, Jump, Uair.

@Cyberglitch- You are my hero. =)

@Everyone- I will be updating the guide with names of all contributers. Thanks for the help everone. =)
WRONG!!!!

this still works very well against snake. which made me reconsider what I wrote,so I deleted it. it may be up tomorrow I don't know. I work tomorrow

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
@Ripple- o.0 I didn't know that... Thanks. There's still so much to this game I don't know.
I am curious though, How many other characters this works on and @ what %. This needs explored more.

@Bum- I'll hit you up for some sets pretty soon. =)

@Everyone- Mush updated on the guide to include
-Contributions (Still in progress)
-Throws section included with lots of useful info.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Brawl: deeper than Mêlée? Good job on the update, Kyle. Keep them coming. :laugh:

Off-topic:—
Kyle said:
OKI – Okizeme, this is when an opponent is on the ground or ledge and you can react to their options.
Just a question — okizeme literally refers to the “attack” performed when “getting up” itself. So has it evolved to encompass the whole situation when someone’s on the ground / ledge?

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
kyle, the dsmash sends people flying in different directions depending on where they're hit, i only did it while he was standing right next to me, could kill faster against air or at certain spots

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
I've updated the guide with the awesome quote from the Match-up thread.

Although most of what I (and the majority of people) have to say is totally anecdotal information, there are a few definite, normative facets to DK's game:

1. Projectiles are hard to counter. Yes, you can hit most of them, or Short Hop Air Dodge in order to approach. These tactics are not only difficult to implement, but also easy to read and counter by the opponent. So, campy characters give DK a larger problem than they give most characters.

2. Bair, Bair, Bair This is, in my very humble opinion, DK's best move. I am willing to purport reversed Bairs as DK's best approach method, and maybe his best tactic overall. Not only does this ability have an insane hitbox(long, and almost above DK's head), it also can scoop opponents off the ground.

3. His Nair kills at low percentages Pretty self-explanatory. Get an enemy high enough in the air, and DK can vertically KO just about anyone that isn't a behemoth (Bowser comes to mind.)

4. Chain grabs Like many people have said, chain grabs destroy DK's large frame. DDD can murder the poor primate with his chain grab. As aforementioned by others, DK seems to be at a severe disadvantage to DDD, ICs, and other chain-grabbers.

5. Spacing An aggregate of Numbers 2 and 4, spacing is absolutely imperative to DK's survival. Although it can be concieved as "cheap", a DK's best bet in many a scenario is b-air camping, with intermittent F-tilts (incredible range) and some D-titls. This is necessary to ensure enough damage to use killing moves, and to deny the opponent the ability to rack up combos on DK's large frame. Characters with large reach (Marth, Ike, Zamus) have several options to mitigate this, so DK's spacing advantage can become all but void.

6. Strength DK's calling card is his propensity for killing at low percentages with his beastly array of muscular moves. His Forward smash is powerful, and his charge punch packs some mean killing potential. This affords our ape-protagonist a serious advantage over light, flimsy characters ranging from Jigglypuff and Kirby to Peach and even Pit.

I hope this helps in everyone's considerations and deliberations regarding specific character match-ups.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I have recently picked up Donkey Kong as my secondary after King Dedede. He is so amazing I love him! I've always liked the character along with Diddy, DKC 1 and 2 were some of my favorite SNES games and games in general. I got frustrated with my Diddy so I thought about trying DK. Wow is he awesome.

Like just the other night, I was playing a bunch of matches vs my freinds Metaknight. I love how I can live forever till like 150-200% and once I get him to 50-60% a smash just destroys him. Tornado is super annoying (how do you stop this?), but anyway

Just posting to show my newfound DK love and say this guide is excellent! I will start working the combo advice and techinques into my game :)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Alright Kong soldiers Let's do this.
DK rating. Please contribute, defend, and discuss until we all can come to a conclusion.

Categories include

Range- 7
Power- 9
Throws- 8
Speed- 4
Recovery- 6
weight/size- 5

Range= 7
Overall DK's range is MUCH MUCH better, but not best. Ftilt, Fsmash, Bair,downB and dashing grapple are best best ranged moves. Which, isn't bad might I add. I would give Olimar or pit a 10. Definitely above average. Anyone want to disagree on 7 of 10?

Power= 9
Yes I will agree that IKE and Lucas have A heavier smash but how often is that going to hit compared to a massive Fair, Fsmash, sideB or Donkey Punch from our beloved ape? DK is POWERFUL! SA Frames FTW. groundedupB does MASSIVE damage btw. I would give Ganondorf a 10.

Throw= 8
DK has NUMEROUS effective options, including SA frames on cargo, stage spike, Wall infinites, a Btoss that CAN kill, throw from ledge... It's just that everything is so situational making his most valuable options sometimes unreliable. I would give IC and D3 a 10 for for 1 throw 1 death occurances.

Speed= 4
Assuming average is 5, I feel DK is just below average as his dash and foxtrot actually get his butt moving, while his startup and range really compensate for his overall speed. It is fair and slightly below par. Dsmash comes out FAST though. I would obviously give Sonic a 10.

Recovery= 6
Yes he only has two jumps, but spinning Kong is AMAZING, you will always have a chance to grab ledge, + you have invincibility frames on start-up, and sideB delays so you can prevent from getting gimped so much. The only thing keeping DK from a 7-10 recovery is a lack of 5 jumps as he has NO WAY of coming back from under the stage. lol. 10 in recovery goes to Pit and Metaknight BTW. His is pretty predictable though and gets spiked easily. =(

weight/size=5
His weight is amazingly heavy, but he is soo big that people can tech chase, ledge guard, chain throw and combo him EASY. I feel these too things balance out and give our monkey an average score of middle 5. he gets hit often but it takes more to kill him.

I feel Dk's disadvantages really make this fight easy for his opponents, as his overall size makes combo's easy and his recovery can be very predictable... death. Prone to spikes too. This is why he isn't higher in value.

Composite score for the moment is
7+9+8+4+6+5= 39/60

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Crank up that range score!
Up-Tilt is underrated, comes out very fast, has range and hits all around him front top and back and goes well through platforms above him. Use uptilt to juggle underneath platforms into upairs for fast damage. Uptilt is the perfect punishing tool when shielding an arial from behind due to its reach and quickness. Also to put it out there, dsmash is my most used kill move, hits all around him making it that much more reliable and it comes out very fast with huge range

Goodness Gracious the papaz! Where da cash at? Where da stash at?

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
Up-Tilt is underrated, comes out very fast, has range and hits all around him front top and back and goes well through platforms above him. Use uptilt to juggle underneath platforms into upairs for fast damage. Uptilt is the perfect punishing tool when shielding an arial from behind due to its reach and quickness. Also to put it out there, dsmash is my most used kill move, hits all around him making it that much more reliable and it comes out very fast with huge range

I concur with this.O yea kyle that shield breaker combo iz crazy.I've been practiceing it and i'm startn 2 be come beastful with it.It's taken my dk game a step up.Great find man.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace

Yeah, utilt is GREAT. I disagree with the OP who says not to use it too often-- I use it constantly. It's a great, fast, reliable juggler.

Also hell yes DK dsmash is AMAZING. I've been finding that spot dodge to dsmash is a god-tier tactic. :laugh: Okay so it actually gets powershielded half the time but the other half of the time it = DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. This is what I needed to finally open my eyes to the potential of spot dodging. Dsmash, jabs, or utilt are my favorite followups, being some of DK's faster moves. If you don't spot dodge much, start doing it. It takes some practice to use it effectively but once you start to *get it* you'll really get it, especially in the low-mobility world of Brawl.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Why spot dodge and be vulnerable when you can powershield than Dsmash out of shield.
Yes I believe that Utilt is great, and yes I concurr to the fact that I don't use it often enough. But I still don't see how this would increase his range. I mean, his Uair is is longest AA attack. I have a hard time agreeing to increasing athe already high # of 7 when he gets ranged by other pkayers and loses for it. When an opponents relies only on Range and Speed they OWN DK meaning these two stats combined are weak for DK and in the opponents favor. I would not consider DK a range character, that's why I am so hesitant to put him above 7. Ganon has more range than DK guys, and we know Ganon is not beastly because of his range.

Range characters I would consider
Diddy
Falco
Ike
D3
Link
Lucas
Luigi
Ness
Pikachu
Olimar
Pit
Ivysaur
ROB
Samus
Snake
Toon
Wolf
Zelda
Zamus

25jai

Smash Rookie
I started to play dk today. I notice from the vid with dk in it, that bair was used alot. When I try to do this, my kick was in the wrong direction. sry for being a noob. but what am i doing wrong?

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
If you are attempting to approach with Bair than you need to actually turn DK around prior to jumping, this is possible from a run or standing, just tilt the stick in the opposite direction than proceed with your jumps. I believe this is dubbed

Reverse Aeriel rush.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
If we want DK to be high tier then he needs to place in tournaments.

Due to his unpopularity for some reason I dont see it happening.. due to lack of people using him

Isnt tiers just based off tournament results?

25jai

Smash Rookie
i wouldnt luv it if ppl think dk is a low or btm tier. they just underestimate you when u use dk in a trny. less ppl use dk, mean less pratice ppl having playing against dk, less strags against dk.

Top Bottom