• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As of now, I've been invited to camp out on northern lakesides of Utsujärvi's camping grounds, set around Muonio within Laplands. The enviroment's as familiar as similar cottage sites set nearby lakes around Mid-Finland, where I visited Kurenniemi, a homeland for one of the very beloved Finnish children book writers behid Jill & Joy-books that had been adapted to movies preceding last years - but most of all, these places still capture beautifully why I came to love Dixie's star game back in the day, being set on these lush landscapes with very mystique world that feels kinda spacious, yet not entirely desolate due few tribes of folk living in.

I remember taking on full speculation around 2012 on an long-old thread centering around speculation on the fourth installment of Smash, generally full of hopes for likes of Dixie Kong, Toad, and good sum of cult classic heroes from Nintendo's library. Years truly have passed since, during which I had to watch the series' direction shift from generally Nintendo-centric celebration to more or less encompass all sorts of stars from videogaming history at large. While great surprises came from this on my side, I still feel like things had moved on too fast towards this direction due how I came from older times of Nintendo-centric celebration, and enjoyed other companies just celebrate their own rich history in their own style.

Last time I was truly excited for a newcomer was Banjo about more than 2 years ago. I wonder if that, along with general leaning on 3rd Parties or promotional picks from Nintendo's side, had me just not bother coming to talk much about Dixie or other possibilities I was pondering on if they could have a place as DLC.

But by God, this thread's been a grand anomaly in this scheme of speculation: we have taken so many things regarding Dixie's absence not only with stride, but have crafted such a fun place to share together on our collective love and passion towards DK-series. It's kind of unfortunate what had happened to other threads (Poor Geno Brigade), but I feel we are one of the greatest proofs that Smash-speculation can be such enriching experience spanning up to years for our favorite character that we hope to see stepping on the battlefield - while pouring ourselves to each other under the umbrella of things centering around the character itself, like the utterly amazing moveset concepts, game ideas, ton of discussion and gushing over the lore of Kongs' world, and much much more.

I really wish I was more active around here, but I feel that I shouldn't have forced to continue speculating for Dixie, or discuss on about her - not to mention how I didn't seem to be in big mood either to talk as much about my experiences on DK-series because raincloud seasons. Yet I've gained ton of support around the thread anyway, which I'll be grateful for a long time.

It's gonna really sting that we might disband for good after all is said and done - but I'll be long remembering on that to the very end of this speculation, there was a haven to come to that stuck through it all in spite of not really getting anything for it - because in reality, it did for all everyone involved via creating one of the most passionate, tenacious, and most of all, easy-going communities in an era where hostility and toxicity has never been easier to spit around or spread during speculation.

My sweetest thanks to you BirthNote BirthNote and everyone else in this thread - I still dearly hope we can come together to celebrate a DK-title on Switch announced sometime in the future.

Until then, we'll be watching the finale together.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well this is it, the last Ultimate reveal. I predict that we might get a first party character. I could be wrong on this. Who knows. Hoping for Waluigi or Dixie to get the spotlight. I'm glad we here can keep Dixie's positive influence going. Here's to all of you. Hoping for good fortunes this morning.
Don't you mean, simply put, the Ultimate reveal?

Sorry, but I had to do that.

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
I haven't been very active on this thread, but I'll always remember my sporadic visits fondly. The DKC fanbase is an invaluably refreshing oasis in a desert of Internet toxicity, and a passionate bunch to boot.

I don't expect Dixie to get in, but I'm positive that our beloved franchise is heading towards greener pastures.

Until then, see you on the other side.

Gunned

Smash Rookie
Well, end of the line for smash ultimate. Regardless of the outcome, what's most important at the end of the day is the passion behind a character.
And there is plenty when it comes to Dixie Kong. Perhaps we'll see her join the roster one day, in a new title.
The themepark DK expansion and the super mario movie inclusion of Cranky Kong gives me a good feeling for the future of the DK series.

I suppose this'll be goodbye for now!

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Well, guess we gotta wait until the next Smash then. I know some of you have talked about moving on from the series after Ultimate, but I personally love this series way too much to ever do that.
I still believe Dixie will get into Smash eventually, it's a shame it couldn't be this time, but hey, we got K. Rool AND Banjo & Kazooie, something a lot of us thought was impossible. Ultimate truly is a special game. I just hope that when Dixie does finally arrive, Banjo and K. Rool will still be there too.
Anyways, it's been really entertaining getting to speculate and read through all of your thoughts and posts over the past few years, and like I said earlier, I look forward to doing the same thing next time around as well. It's nice to know there are other like-minded people out there, and I believe we will get Dixie one day, it just seems inevitable to me. Until then, I'll be enjoying Ultimate as much as I can. I'm sure I'll be popping in this thread from time to time to see how the discourse is going, and of course I recommend to everyone to join the discord as well. Thanks for being so kind and cool everyone, I wish you all the best, and take care!

DIXIE FOR SMASH!

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Well, guess we gotta wait until the next Smash then. I know some of you have talked about moving on from the series after Ultimate, but I personally love this series way too much to ever do that.
I still believe Dixie will get into Smash eventually, it's a shame it couldn't be this time, but hey, we got K. Rool AND Banjo & Kazooie, something a lot of us thought was impossible. Ultimate truly is a special game. I just hope that when Dixie does finally arrive, Banjo and K. Rool will still be there too.
Anyways, it's been really entertaining getting to speculate and read through all of your thoughts and posts over the past few years, and like I said earlier, I look forward to doing the same thing next time around as well. It's nice to know there are other like-minded people out there, and I believe we will get Dixie one day, it just seems inevitable to me. Until then, I'll be enjoying Ultimate as much as I can. I'm sure I'll be popping in this thread from time to time to see how the discourse is going, and of course I recommend to everyone to join the discord as well. Thanks for being so kind and cool everyone, I wish you all the best, and take care!

DIXIE FOR SMASH!
Yup same here. I'm 34 years old gamer from Finland and will always be gamer and stay with smash. Waiting for a day when Dixie swings in 💪🏻 probably my kids will give me a good competition by then in smash 😂

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, my main hope is just that the likes of K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo don't get cut and that they're here to stay. If there was any doubt for Banjo on that front before, at least him being on N64 NSO gives some confidence as to his staying power.

If Dixie ever happens, it'll be the icing on the cake. I don't think I'll be gone and moved on completely, but I also won't be beating around the bush with speculation to the extent I had up until now, especially if the next cycle gets as ugly as I fear with people fighting over character cuts and such. The price to pay I suppose for getting a one time legendary game like Ultimate. Other than that, yeah, just better luck next time far as who we didn't get.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well guys, at least we "lost" to the one most requested character on the Smash ballot. I too, expect a "sequel" to Smash Ultimate coming out, eventually. With all, if not most characters returning from Ultimate.

This game did too well not to try and milk it out more. They could literally rerelease it with all the DLC, and new characters, and we'd all buy it no questions asked, no objections plead. I therefore remain confident in Dixie. She will happen. Eventually.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Well, Dixie didn't happen. Didn't really expect her to at this point, if I'm being honest, but you gotta go big for the final character, and they did. Still, not too discouraged. I just wanna see Dixie Kong in more games in general, and there's plenty of opportunities outside of Smash to make that happen.

I've had fun being on this crazy ride with all of you for the past 3 years!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I actually wound up being busy so I missed the live direct, but I'm happy that Sora was the final character. He's a great high note to end it on; back in the Brawl speculation, before I joined smashboards I thought it'd be funny seeing Sora mistake Metaknight for a heartless if he ever showed up. I also worried that Sora would mix Smash with Disney and Final Fantasy; back then Cloud and Sephiroth weren't possible, but it's funny looking back at what 14 year old me thought. It's excellent that Sora was the true ballot winner. We all know Bayonetta wasn't pulling in massive numbers compared to gaming behemoths lol, but I'm glad Sora's in. I only have Banjo as DLC, so eventually I'll buy Sora as well.

So, we're rolling the credits on Ultimate speculation. I'm extremely happy how this thread turned out. A lot of fandoms can be very bitter, toxic and delusional, usually spending their time s**t talking their competition instead of appreciating their own character. I didn't want that for this thread. Dixie's felt overlooked in general, whether it was in her home series or Smash Speculation and I kinda felt bad for her. She was my favorite Kong to use in my 1st playthroughs of DKC2, 3 and TF and I figured we'd share that appreciation here. We've had discussions, disagreements and occasionally arguments (Echoes lol), but it wasn't hostile 99% of the time. You all have kept this thread alive; I'd lurk almost daily to see how things are flowing but there was a lot of times when I couldn't jump in because I was busy with something IRL, so the most I could do was leave a Like. Seriously, thank you all for being regular members of the Barrel. Diddy Kong, Valkyrie, Snowbound, Live Studio, Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 , SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 , SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor , Justin Little Justin Little , DeniroSerafim DeniroSerafim , Handy Man Handy Man , Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime , P Phoenix Douchebag , Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 , Ed-boy Ed-boy (Rolf!), ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor , ChronoBound ChronoBound , True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior , Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne , K Kritter , Vector Victor Vector Victor , Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , Mikegamer0608 Mikegamer0608 , Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , Laniv Laniv , S Strong DK , Dinoman96 Dinoman96 , KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 , GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , ZelDan ZelDan , StrangeKitten StrangeKitten , zipzapsparkle zipzapsparkle , pupNapoleon pupNapoleon , BravadoMan_13 BravadoMan_13 , BKupa666 BKupa666 have all kept this thread alive in many ways. I also wanna thank everyone for liking my artwork! My biggest hope with it is that it changed minds and helped people appreciate Dixie as a character. I don't expect Dixie to play like how I illustrated her; as long as it inspires others and encourages ideas I achieved my goal.

Also C cybersai THANK YOU for advocating for Dixie on GameFAQs. I see you over there from time to time and some of the users give you a hard time for supporting Dixie, but you don't let it stop you. Mad respect.
Well, it's pretty much over isn't it. Had some great times here with you all, this thread has seen amazing tides and the ride to support Dixie this time around was a wild one. Yet, equally disappointing. Many times we had hope, especially around the time Isabella was revealed, and K.Rool of course. I still am optimistic that Dixie will continue to be a main character in coming DK games. My problem since the start of this thread remains... There's just nothing.

I hope for a good reunion next time we get to speculate. I'll be around, probably.
Thanks man, glad you stayed active throughout all these years. I'll be around too...probably. Not sure if I'll start the next thread ATM, but I'll see how smashboards is doing and the general mood. It's definitely been disappointing though. I mainly approach the hype cycle going "It'll be cool if Dixie gets in, but I'll live if she doesn't." Just been keeping expectations low for the most part and spectating rather than speculating. Still I'm in a good mood, I'd rather an ending than endless speculation lol.
While it might make more sense to give essentially my last major thoughts after tomorrow's Direct, part of me felt it would fit better now, largely because the thrust of what I have to say is not really dependent on if we get Dixie in 18 hours or not.

I joined Smashboards almost two years ago. I was a heavy lurker, especially in the general initial DLC hype cycle that had started a year prior. General discussion and speculation lured me, and I'd say the Newcomer thread as well as the initial (now locked) Geno thead have provided a lot of fun and interesting talk, even with how heated or disagreeable things have gotten at times. Those have been good to partake in as far as the grand scheme. But I think I've enjoyed myself most here.

As a DK fan, it's hard to find a good, dedicated space to talk about a series that is so near and dear to my heart. The DK Reddit board is a bit of a ghost town at times, and even DK Vine has its own ups and downs (and a pain to register at to boot). This place has been an oasis in an internet desert that often doesn't feel terribly interested in how much real depth and charm the Donkey Kong games have. Posting in the Dixie thread in a lot of ways has become an outlet for a lot of long time feelings I've had about her status as a character, the DKC games, and Nintendo in general, and for that I will always be grateful.

But it's not just the chance to express my thoughts that's made me glad to be here, It's been a joy to hear and witness the output all of you have added. I've seen movesets with more creativity than I could have imagined, art that perfectly captures the charm of the Rare & Retro designs, & even a hypothetical Diddy Kong Racing roster that makes me terribly annoyed that such a game isn't being worked on now. The highest compliment I can give is that it's a level of dedication and passion that a franchise (and cast of characters) like this truly deserves.

I don't know what's coming tomorrow. In all likelihood it's not Dixie, and we're probably in for a very extended wait before her being in Smash is a viable topic of discussion again. But if nothing else, even if the board and this thread drops off in terms of posters or interest once this long ride is finally over and done with?

Thank you all for allowing a mega fan of these silly ape games to have found such a welcoming place.
Thank you for making coming here! DK does indeed get written off by most communities, and it sucks because DKC was such a huge portion of my childhood; when I was a kid in Brooklyn, everyone was playing DK, Super Mario, Playstation, or Sonic on SEGA's systems. It felt like everyone knew who these characters were; I know it was the 90's and here we are about 30 years later lol, but I figured there has to be dedicated DK fandoms on the internet. The reason why there isn't is a long story that we witnessed in the 2000's, but I'm glad this thread was a place for appreciating this series. Honestly, no fan could do this all alone, I was excited to contribute art occasionally and very happy that Seashore would share his ideas, Mushroomguy posting art he found from twitter or donkeykong_downunder donkeykong_downunder showing the plushies from instagram. It was like everyone got a chance to shine, even the conversations and topics people came up with were fun reads at the very least. Thank you for being a regular part of this thread, and I'm honored that you found this Barrel to be so welcoming.

A picture to advertise BirthNote's moveset concepts as well as the other movesets in the OP.

Some final pro Dixie propaganda before tomorrow. The text subtly trains your mind to approve of Dixie.
I love it, as usual. I legit suck at social media optimization, and I'm INCREDIBLY happy that you've been part of Dixie's twitter campaign! Truth be told, you have a talent for this Snowbound and I thank you very much for making the twitter thread what it is. Also, your feedback on adding the Smash Bros moniker to my illustrations is such a good idea, I didn't even think to do that lol. You've been a huge help and presence in both this thread and twitter, and I truly appreciate that. Thank you.

And of course, Sabertooth Sabertooth deserves a lot of praise for starting the twitter campaign. Thank you both.
As of now, I've been invited to camp out on northern lakesides of Utsujärvi's camping grounds, set around Muonio within Laplands. The enviroment's as familiar as similar cottage sites set nearby lakes around Mid-Finland, where I visited Kurenniemi, a homeland for one of the very beloved Finnish children book writers behid Jill & Joy-books that had been adapted to movies preceding last years - but most of all, these places still capture beautifully why I came to love Dixie's star game back in the day, being set on these lush landscapes with very mystique world that feels kinda spacious, yet not entirely desolate due few tribes of folk living in.

I remember taking on full speculation around 2012 on an long-old thread centering around speculation on the fourth installment of Smash, generally full of hopes for likes of Dixie Kong, Toad, and good sum of cult classic heroes from Nintendo's library. Years truly have passed since, during which I had to watch the series' direction shift from generally Nintendo-centric celebration to more or less encompass all sorts of stars from videogaming history at large. While great surprises came from this on my side, I still feel like things had moved on too fast towards this direction due how I came from older times of Nintendo-centric celebration, and enjoyed other companies just celebrate their own rich history in their own style.

Last time I was truly excited for a newcomer was Banjo about more than 2 years ago. I wonder if that, along with general leaning on 3rd Parties or promotional picks from Nintendo's side, had me just not bother coming to talk much about Dixie or other possibilities I was pondering on if they could have a place as DLC.

But by God, this thread's been a grand anomaly in this scheme of speculation: we have taken so many things regarding Dixie's absence not only with stride, but have crafted such a fun place to share together on our collective love and passion towards DK-series. It's kind of unfortunate what had happened to other threads (Poor Geno Brigade), but I feel we are one of the greatest proofs that Smash-speculation can be such enriching experience spanning up to years for our favorite character that we hope to see stepping on the battlefield - while pouring ourselves to each other under the umbrella of things centering around the character itself, like the utterly amazing moveset concepts, game ideas, ton of discussion and gushing over the lore of Kongs' world, and much much more.

I really wish I was more active around here, but I feel that I shouldn't have forced to continue speculating for Dixie, or discuss on about her - not to mention how I didn't seem to be in big mood either to talk as much about my experiences on DK-series because raincloud seasons. Yet I've gained ton of support around the thread anyway, which I'll be grateful for a long time.

It's gonna really sting that we might disband for good after all is said and done - but I'll be long remembering on that to the very end of this speculation, there was a haven to come to that stuck through it all in spite of not really getting anything for it - because in reality, it did for all everyone involved via creating one of the most passionate, tenacious, and most of all, easy-going communities in an era where hostility and toxicity has never been easier to spit around or spread during speculation.

My sweetest thanks to you BirthNote BirthNote and everyone else in this thread - I still dearly hope we can come together to celebrate a DK-title on Switch announced sometime in the future.

...Wow. Ever since the pandemic started, I've gone around painting local scenery as a way to pass the time. Whether it was a shopping mall, a beach or the wilderness, there was an empty yet peaceful feeling to the world in spite of the anxiety of the virus. The pictures you've shared are beautiful and they remind me of that. I would be so eager to go out and paint scenery like that before the sun set and it was too dark to see. I'm actually tempted to paint those photos you've shared as well.

Honestly, what you wrote is profound. I'm really glad this thread has done a lot for so many people. We've kept a consistent vibe for 4 years and 6.5 months, that's an accomplishment in and of itself. Also don't sweat not being able to post much, real life is more important and it was always good to see your posts when you did stop by. I'm not sure where my life will take me, but as long as it's stable I'll have some time to show up on smashboards.

Hopefully DK gets a renaissance that elevates Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky and Lanky. In the meantime this thread will stay up until it gets locked. If y'all want to keep posting feel free. There's always new art I can post in the final month(s), but the show's over. Thank you to everyone who posted and stuck around.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It has been an honor to be on this ride alongside you guys.

I'm just waiting for Chronobound to release his final write up (Sora being the only character he actually predicted) to end this journey.

After Sora's release, i think i have to leave this site again. This time not just because Smash Hype ended, but because sometimes i feel the internet in general has become bothersome, like it has become the opposite of what i used the internet before for, to escape from all the bull****.

Like, this:

But you guys were mostly an exception to all the insanity that has happened. Thanks.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey everyone, I actually wound up being busy so I missed the live direct, but I'm happy that Sora was the final character. He's a great high note to end it on; back in the Brawl speculation, before I joined smashboards I thought it'd be funny seeing Sora mistake Metaknight for a heartless if he ever showed up. I also worried that Sora would mix Smash with Disney and Final Fantasy; back then Cloud and Sephiroth weren't possible, but it's funny looking back at what 14 year old me thought. It's excellent that Sora was the true ballot winner. We all know Bayonetta wasn't pulling in massive numbers compared to gaming behemoths lol, but I'm glad Sora's in. I only have Banjo as DLC, so eventually I'll buy Sora as well.

So, we're rolling the credits on Ultimate speculation. I'm extremely happy how this thread turned out. A lot of fandoms can be very bitter, toxic and delusional, usually spending their time s**t talking their competition instead of appreciating their own character. I didn't want that for this thread. Dixie's felt overlooked in general, whether it was in her home series or Smash Speculation and I kinda felt bad for her. She was my favorite Kong to use in my 1st playthroughs of DKC2, 3 and TF and I figured we'd share that appreciation here. We've had discussions, disagreements and occasionally arguments (Echoes lol), but it wasn't hostile 99% of the time. You all have kept this thread alive; I'd lurk almost daily to see how things are flowing but there was a lot of times when I couldn't jump in because I was busy with something IRL, so the most I could do was leave a Like. Seriously, thank you all for being regular members of the Barrel. Diddy Kong, Valkyrie, Snowbound, Live Studio, Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 , SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 , SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor , Justin Little Justin Little , DeniroSerafim DeniroSerafim , Handy Man Handy Man , Ridley_Prime Ridley_Prime , P Phoenix Douchebag , Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 , Ed-boy Ed-boy (Rolf!), ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor , ChronoBound ChronoBound , True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior , Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne , K Kritter , Vector Victor Vector Victor , Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth , Mikegamer0608 Mikegamer0608 , Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , Laniv Laniv , S Strong DK , Dinoman96 Dinoman96 , KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 , GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , ZelDan ZelDan , StrangeKitten StrangeKitten , zipzapsparkle zipzapsparkle , pupNapoleon pupNapoleon , BravadoMan_13 BravadoMan_13 , BKupa666 BKupa666 have all kept this thread alive in many ways. I also wanna thank everyone for liking my artwork! My biggest hope with it is that it changed minds and helped people appreciate Dixie as a character. I don't expect Dixie to play like how I illustrated her; as long as it inspires others and encourages ideas I achieved my goal.

Also C cybersai THANK YOU for advocating for Dixie on GameFAQs. I see you over there from time to time and some of the users give you a hard time for supporting Dixie, but you don't let it stop you. Mad respect.

Thanks man, glad you stayed active throughout all these years. I'll be around too...probably. Not sure if I'll start the next thread ATM, but I'll see how smashboards is doing and the general mood. It's definitely been disappointing though. I mainly approach the hype cycle going "It'll be cool if Dixie gets in, but I'll live if she doesn't." Just been keeping expectations low for the most part and spectating rather than speculating. Still I'm in a good mood, I'd rather an ending than endless speculation lol.

Thank you for making coming here! DK does indeed get written off by most communities, and it sucks because DKC was such a huge portion of my childhood; when I was a kid in Brooklyn, everyone was playing DK, Super Mario, Playstation, or Sonic on SEGA's systems. It felt like everyone knew who these characters were; I know it was the 90's and here we are about 30 years later lol, but I figured there has to be dedicated DK fandoms on the internet. The reason why there isn't is a long story that we witnessed in the 2000's, but I'm glad this thread was a place for appreciating this series. Honestly, no fan could do this all alone, I was excited to contribute art occasionally and very happy that Seashore would share his ideas, Mushroomguy posting art he found from twitter or donkeykong_downunder donkeykong_downunder showing the plushies from instagram. It was like everyone got a chance to shine, even the conversations and topics people came up with were fun reads at the very least. Thank you for being a regular part of this thread, and I'm honored that you found this Barrel to be so welcoming.

I love it, as usual. I legit suck at social media optimization, and I'm INCREDIBLY happy that you've been part of Dixie's twitter campaign! Truth be told, you have a talent for this Snowbound and I thank you very much for making the twitter thread what it is. Also, your feedback on adding the Smash Bros moniker to my illustrations is such a good idea, I didn't even think to do that lol. You've been a huge help and presence in both this thread and twitter, and I truly appreciate that. Thank you.

And of course, Sabertooth Sabertooth deserves a lot of praise for starting the twitter campaign. Thank you both.

...Wow. Ever since the pandemic started, I've gone around painting local scenery as a way to pass the time. Whether it was a shopping mall, a beach or the wilderness, there was an empty yet peaceful feeling to the world in spite of the anxiety of the virus. The pictures you've shared are beautiful and they remind me of that. I would be so eager to go out and paint scenery like that before the sun set and it was too dark to see. I'm actually tempted to paint those photos you've shared as well.

Honestly, what you wrote is profound. I'm really glad this thread has done a lot for so many people. We've kept a consistent vibe for 4 years and 6.5 months, that's an accomplishment in and of itself. Also don't sweat not being able to post much, real life is more important and it was always good to see your posts when you did stop by. I'm not sure where my life will take me, but as long as it's stable I'll have some time to show up on smashboards.

Hopefully DK gets a renaissance that elevates Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky and Lanky. In the meantime this thread will stay up until it gets locked. If y'all want to keep posting feel free. There's always new art I can post in the final month(s), but the show's over. Thank you to everyone who posted and stuck around.
Thanks for the kind words. It's been fun.

Well, there's always next time and, failing that, the modding scene.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! Especially all the regulars who despite sometimes being a little cranky over random bullsh*t, were usually fun to read. We have a good Kongmmunity.

About the Twitter and the next Smash Bros.
I will Kongtinue to operate the Dixie Twitter for the time being, at least until you can mount a coup to depose me. I will update when I can. You guys can share anything you find or make through DMs or just by tagging the DixieforSmash account on Twitter when this place presumably closes up. There's also the Tumblr and Youtube. I will still be RTing fan-created content and other content relevant to Dixie for Smash or Donkey Kong.

I still think we will see Dixie someday, perhaps even in the next installment. She is a major character and the only DK character acknowledged with a Mii hat/costume aside from K. Rool. Most of what matters is out of our hands, including what the next DK game is like and when it shows up, but we'll try to maintain a community for Dixie for those that still would like to participate, whether it's viewing/making/sharing fan content, moveset concepts, memes, etc. As BirthNote alludes to, the DK community didn't really exist for a long time. So I appreciate that it does now.

It is perhaps counterintuitive, but it may be important to let our support known during this supposed "down" period, as this is when Nintendo/Smash Bros team/Sakurai may be doing whatever market research they do to see what the popular character choices are for the next game. By the time the next game is announced, it will be too late. I will try to post things when possible that are aimed specifically at getting the attention of Nintendo's official accounts, like NintendoAmerica, which are "listening" to feedback. But exactly when or how they do that research is unknown, so I'm not going to stress about it and neither should you.

Most things are out of our hands. Just do what you can when you can, if you want to. And if it makes you happy, of course. Life's too short and too stressful as it is to do anything that makes you or other people miserable.

Thanks!

I wanted to thank BirthNote BirthNote , particularly, for helping keep us together and of course contributing his effort, time, and talent with those movesets that helped us imagine the different possibilities with Dixie. I also appreciate SeashoreWar SeashoreWar Donkey Kong Racing Roster, who spread a little love to many characters, some who I think I've never even seen fanart of before Seashore War drew them! Of course, Seashore War also started the #WrinklyNeverDied movement. So if you do the math, it's a wash.....Nah, I'm just kidding, thank you, Seashore War! I appreciate your excellent artwork and efforts! And thanks for the other artwork you both made! I know you guys made a LOT.

Also appreciate the posts made by everyone else, including photoshops by DeniroSerafim DeniroSerafim , links found by Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 , ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor , and others of DK content around the internet. It's a little hard to have eyes on everything these days, so I always appreciated this thread being a little hub where people posted Dixie/DK related things they made themselves or found.

And a big thanks to Sabertooth Sabertooth for starting the Twitter, growing it, and also trusting me with it!

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the mention, BirthNote!

While it's disappointing we didn't get Dixie, I wasn't exactly surprised. I thought it was a stretch for us to get King K. Rool, Banjo, and Dixie. Dixie remains my most wanted, though. If the next game is a port of Ultimate with more characters, I think Dixie is almost a shoe-in, along with the likes of Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee. My guess is they didn't want her to be dlc since she's not a new 1st-party character, and figured she is better to come in base game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Base game is way better for Dixie yeah, in that way we where kind of "cheated" out of having her. Cause, well, Everyone Is Here was a thing. If they didn't made it a priority to make every character ever return, Dixie would've been a newcomer am sure. Cause likely the newcomer picks would've been similar to how Smash 4 did it, relevance would be a major reason to pick a fighter, and Dixie had that with Tropical Freeze of course.

I do think we'll end up seeing her as a sort of semi clone of Diddy, or potentially being a tag team character with Diddy. There was a popularity ballot where Diddy scored the lowest out of all fighters in Smash Ultimate, so I do think there's a strong possibility of Diddy getting a moveset revamp. Dixie might just end up being part of this revamp. And I do think I might end up throwing some ideas around for this revamp around that time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Everyone Is Here was partly a result of the ballot, what with the prior cut veterans that had been especially voted for (i.e. Snake and Wolf), along with most of the newcomers that had gotten in because of the ballot; K Rool and such. Anyone that wasn't ballot related was just a 1st party generically added to promote a recent game, which yeah, Dixie should've been added earlier on that basis after Tropical Freeze, but the timelines sadly did not align.

Maybe Dixie didn't do as well in the ballot as we would've liked to believe, or she's a ballot choice they had chose to save for later. The ballot was made not only for Smash 4 DLC, but Ultimate and perhaps whatever comes after it as well... Good luck to Dixie either way.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Hello guys, I haven't been active much on this thread in the past few months but I just want to say kudos to everyone here who made me see Dixie as a much worthy contender for a Smash slot. There's so much passion and talent that has come out of this thread which has been a pleasure witnessing. See you all for the next Smash game however long that may be, Dixie will always have a strong fighting chance for the roster so have faith

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Everyone Is Here was partly a result of the ballot, what with the prior cut veterans that had been especially voted for (i.e. Snake and Wolf), along with most of the newcomers that had gotten in because of the ballot; K Rool and such. Anyone that wasn't ballot related was just a 1st party generically added to promote a recent game, which yeah, Dixie should've been added earlier on that basis after Tropical Freeze, but the timelines sadly did not align.

Maybe Dixie didn't do as well in the ballot as we would've liked to believe, or she's a ballot choice they had chose to save for later. The ballot was made not only for Smash 4 DLC, but Ultimate and perhaps whatever comes after it as well... Good luck to Dixie either way.
Yeah am pretty sure many , if not most of the returning veterans once cut from Smash where high requested characters on the ballot. Snake, Ice Climbers and Wolf especially. Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu and Young Link also had a following, but less loud because most thought they where not too likely. It wouldn't surprise me if all of them ended up being more requested than Dixie.

Remember we also had a sort of "rivalry" back in the day with K.Rool, however stupid that was... It was quite prevalent back during the ballot days. A divided fan base more or less that resulted in K.Rool being the focus of attention of DKC fans, Banjo being the focus of Rare and N64 fans. The fact we got both is great fan service alone and am forever grateful they're included.

We had a great run, and I hope by the next speculation period we at least get to enjoy at least one good solid mainline Donkey Kong game. That's honestly more of my focus at the moment, the true restoration of this great franchise. Dixie will likely be included in Smash after, Cranky and Funky might even follow suit.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

You're very welcome and thank you for the mention in your post. It pleases me to see that this thread still remains more on the positive side of the situation. I also agree that Sora was a great way to finish the game. Aside from being the true ballot winner, the sheer thought that they managed to convince Disney of all people to use him in seems like an absolute miracle to pull off. Watching the reveal for the first time just had me in total shock when I saw that Mickey Mouse keychain with the whole keyblade shown a second afterwards confirming it was him which I thought was an impossibly beforehand. While I was always neutral towards him beforehand but seeing that he made it in made me more happy that I thought would be. I love the Timeless River alt color that makes him look like a cartoon character from 1930's, I'm also very happy that Doomguy managed to get in as a Mii costume (and a very well detailed one at that). It really feels like a great finale in comparison to previous ones, I'm glad to see the good sportsmanship here as the stakes weren't exactly in our favor considering most of Nintendo's choices where from more recent titles or had a huge fan demand (like Ridley and K.Rool). In the end, we did our best to show are support and we handle the situation well.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! Especially all the regulars who despite sometimes being a little cranky over random bullsh*t, were usually fun to read. We have a good Kongmmunity.

I will Kongtinue to operate the Dixie Twitter for the time being, at least until you can mount a coup to depose me. I will update when I can. You guys can share anything you find or make through DMs or just by tagging the DixieforSmash account on Twitter when this place presumably closes up. There's also the Tumblr and Youtube. I will still be RTing fan-created content and other content relevant to Dixie for Smash or Donkey Kong.

I still think we will see Dixie someday, perhaps even in the next installment. She is a major character and the only DK character acknowledged with a Mii hat/costume aside from K. Rool. Most of what matters is out of our hands, including what the next DK game is like and when it shows up, but we'll try to maintain a community for Dixie for those that still would like to participate, whether it's viewing/making/sharing fan content, moveset concepts, memes, etc. As BirthNote alludes to, the DK community didn't really exist for a long time. So I appreciate that it does now.

It is perhaps counterintuitive, but it may be important to let our support known during this supposed "down" period, as this is when Nintendo/Smash Bros team/Sakurai may be doing whatever market research they do to see what the popular character choices are for the next game. By the time the next game is announced, it will be too late. I will try to post things when possible that are aimed specifically at getting the attention of Nintendo's official accounts, like NintendoAmerica, which are "listening" to feedback. But exactly when or how they do that research is unknown, so I'm not going to stress about it and neither should you.

Most things are out of our hands. Just do what you can when you can, if you want to. And if it makes you happy, of course. Life's too short and too stressful as it is to do anything that makes you or other people miserable.

Thanks!

I wanted to thank BirthNote BirthNote , particularly, for helping keep us together and of course contributing his effort, time, and talent with those movesets that helped us imagine the different possibilities with Dixie. I also appreciate SeashoreWar SeashoreWar Donkey Kong Racing Roster, who spread a little love to many characters, some who I think I've never even seen fanart of before Seashore War drew them! Of course, Seashore War also started the #WrinklyNeverDied movement. So if you do the math, it's a wash.....Nah, I'm just kidding, thank you, Seashore War! I appreciate your excellent artwork and efforts! And thanks for the other artwork you both made! I know you guys made a LOT.

Also appreciate the posts made by everyone else, including photoshops by DeniroSerafim DeniroSerafim , links found by Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 , ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor , and others of DK content around the internet. It's a little hard to have eyes on everything these days, so I always appreciated this thread being a little hub where people posted Dixie/DK related things they made themselves or found.

And a big thanks to Sabertooth Sabertooth for starting the Twitter, growing it, and also trusting me with it!
This is a really heartwarming picture which adds to the great sportsmanship that I was speaking of. Thank you so much for putting so much effort into supporting her. Also congrats on the completion of your Donkey Kong Racing roster (Rash is my favorite Battletoad and Kaze looks cute).

One again, I thank you all you on this thread for the support you have shown. Sorry for the double post for before (my phone is quite glitchy with this site for whatever reason) I promised myself to stay in good spirits to the end and I'm delighted the last Smash direct turned out great. I'll probably enjoy Smash Ultimate for years to come since I love it to death but I'll still hold hope we'll get a new and exciting Donkey Kong game in the future with our support helping the cause.
jeffrey-haiduk-dixie-kong.jpg

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
You're very welcome and thank you for the mention in your post. It pleases me to see that this thread still remains more on the positive side of the situation. I also agree that Sora was a great way to finish the game. Aside from being the true ballot winner, the sheer thought that they managed to convince Disney of all people to use him in seems like an absolute miracle to pull off. Watching the reveal for the first time just had me in total shock when I saw that Mickey Mouse keychain with the whole keyblade shown a second afterwards confirming it was him which I thought was an impossibly beforehand. While I was always neutral towards him beforehand but seeing that he made it in made me more happy that I thought would be. I love the Timeless River alt color that makes him look like a cartoon character from 1930's, I'm also very happy that Doomguy managed to get in as a Mii costume (and a very well detailed one at that). It really feels like a great finale in comparison to previous ones, I'm glad to see the good sportsmanship here as the stakes weren't exactly in our favor considering most of Nintendo's choices where from more recent titles or had a huge fan demand (like Ridley and K.Rool). In the end, we did our best to show are support and we handle the situation well.

This is a really heartwarming picture which adds to the great sportsmanship that I was speaking of. Thank you so much for putting so much effort into supporting her. Also congrats on the completion of your Donkey Kong Racing roster (Rash is my favorite Battletoad and Kaze looks cute).

One again, I thank you all you on this thread for the support you have shown. Sorry for the double post for before (my phone is quite glitchy with this site for whatever reason) I promised myself to stay in good spirits to the end and I'm delighted the last Smash direct turned out great. I'll probably enjoy Smash Ultimate for years to come since I love it to death but I'll still hold hope we'll get a new and exciting Donkey Kong game in the future with our support helping the cause.
View attachment 333695
It's SeashoreWar SeashoreWar 's Donkey Kong Racing Roster! Though SeashoreWar has the same avatar as DixieforSmash, I can see the Kongfusion. But obviously there are some important Wrinkly and DK JR-related ideological differences....

Thanks though! And thank you to you too for being a positive member of this thread and also for helping find Dixie fanart.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You know, it would be oddly fitting of Dixie's (and the DK series) bad luck with timing if we get a new Country game announced and released in 2022 right after Ultimate's time is done and years before the next Smash title is even announced. A major DK game with her as a prominent main character, and likely occurring in the period where even promotional spirit events have likely stopped.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It's SeashoreWar SeashoreWar 's Donkey Kong Racing Roster! Though SeashoreWar has the same avatar as DixieforSmash, I can see the Kongfusion. But obviously there are some important Wrinkly and DK JR-related ideological differences....

Thanks though! And thank you to you too for being a positive member of this thread and also for helping find Dixie fanart.
Sorry about that, I mistaken you for him because of the artwork in your previous post, oops hehehe! A proper thanks to SeashoreWar SeashoreWar for the DK racing roster and various artworks but you as well for seeing me as a positive supporter. Here's another cute picture I like to share.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I'll have more art to share in the near future, but right now I have some interesting news:

There's a thread polling for the most wanted Nintendo newcomers of a hypothetical new Smash. There's gonna be a tournament bracket and currently it's for 1st Party Nintendo characters. The bracket is currently for Unique characters, and guess what? Dixie's in this bracket! Go over to that thread, follow the link and vote for her, and don't worry because it allows for multiple characters.

This will give Dixie exposure to speculators who aren't aware of her, especially if she does well in the bracket.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't know what the etiquette necessarily is, and I haven't searched the archives in the section to see if it would be redundant, but it might not be the worst idea to have a general DK topic in the NintenZone part of Smashboards, if just to have a place where we wanted to continue general discussion about the series.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Hey everyone, I'll have more art to share in the near future, but right now I have some interesting news:

There's a thread polling for the most wanted Nintendo newcomers of a hypothetical new Smash. There's gonna be a tournament bracket and currently it's for 1st Party Nintendo characters. The bracket is currently for Unique characters, and guess what? Dixie's in this bracket! Go over to that thread, follow the link and vote for her, and don't worry because it allows for multiple characters.

This will give Dixie exposure to speculators who aren't aware of her, especially if she does well in the bracket.
Thanks again for posting the poll here! I do support Dixie and I feel like she is in a shoe-in for the next game. That being said, even though I have her as a unique newcomer in this poll, I do think she'll wind up as a Chrom-style echo, which I kind of prefer.

If Dixie doesn't win my tournament, I do have plans for her to likely be in my eventual echo newcomer tournament.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks again for posting the poll here! I do support Dixie and I feel like she is in a shoe-in for the next game. That being said, even though I have her as a unique newcomer in this poll, I do think she'll wind up as a Chrom-style echo, which I kind of prefer.

If Dixie doesn't win my tournament, I do have plans for her to likely be in my eventual echo newcomer tournament.
No prob. I appreciate you including her but I absolutely believe she can be a Unique character. Chrom-Level wouldn't cut it sadly, you'd need to change more than her Up B to make her distinct from Diddy and idle animations won't be enough. Her entire grab game, aerial prowess, dash attack and throws would be far different from Diddy in order to make Dixie feel like Dixie, and that's just the start. Bare minimum, Isabelle-Level would be an acceptable starting point; I have an in depth comparison of Roy and Chrom to help illustrate why that won't work for Dixie.

That being said, I certainly am happy you included Dixie and I'm very glad she's being considered among other highly requested 1st Party characters. We disagree on her implementation but I'm always happy to make a case for her and see her in these types of contests. Seriously, thanks.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright, so as we all now know, these threads will be locked after October 21st. The curtain will be closing in the meantime, so if there's anything y'all would like to discuss and show off, we have a deadline. Discussion will go elsewhere, and if anyone would like to start a general DK thread in NintenZone (assuming one doesn't exist) feel free to stake your claim. The Dixie King twitter will be actively boosting Kongtent for the foreseeable future as well.

Let the discussion continue until that final day.
Impressive.

This is actually a really good high quality model. My only suggestion is to include her red hairband that's visible when her hat lifts up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is now the end of the road as far as character support goes for Ultimate. This is my penultimate post for this thread. For old time's sake, I am going to respond to to a few posts made during the last two pages in this thread. There is quite a bit to say so please brace yourselves. I also have a sort of "farewell" essay in general to my time doing roster speculation and character support, but I am uncertain whether to I plan to post it in this thread or not since it is aimed at the Smash speculation and character support community in general. I do plan to put out a stand alone farewell post for this thread in particular a few days later though. It will be much shorter compared to my typical works, but it will still be poignant. We have a less than a week left before this thread closes. Let us cherish what little time we have left for this small community.

It truly is the end of an era, Chrono. It's good to know that you realize that the community and your interactions with it were as rewarding as the reveals of Smash themselves, if not more.

When i came to this website, over 8 years ago, i did it because i wanted to talk to people about how excited i was for this new game just named "Smash 4". Funny, when i was young lad i came to sites like these to inreact with people as a kid with social issues made it a little hard in real life, Talking about Smash felt like a sort of escapism to me, and the internet was in general just that, Escapism.

Yet nowadays, with how the Internet feels full of well.........................particular people, sometimes the best thing i can do is just turn off the computer and go outside and forget it all, now that i am an adult that can go outside on my own. A far cry of how things used to be.

It's surreal to think how much time has pased. When i lurked on this site, the place was full of Brawl veterans, of the days of early 2000's internet (like, 2002) and even some 90's kids. Now i am probably one of the few Smash 4 era speculators, whose introduction to the internet was in its transition from niche wild west into the new norm of media consumption and interaction, an seeing how some people didn't knew how he infamous "ESRB Leak" went. That event for me was like the greatest gaming leak i ever witnessed, and something that i probably never witness again.

No matter how underwhelming the finale may be, it has been an honor to interact with so many people, and you Chrono will be remembered by us as one of the most passionate Smash fans, in the best way possible.
Thank you very much for your very kind words. I am very appreciative of them. Yes, so much has changed over the course of this decade. I actually go over this in my "farewell" essay. This site in particular has changed a lot during the last three years. It is remarkable how few of the veteran users from the Smash 4 speculation era are still around. The few "old faces" I still see are regulars to this thread. I am going to miss you and many others here. However, I hope that there might be a way for us to stick together in the years ahead. Maybe I will join "The Pink Berets" Discord group. I hope many of the regulars here are in there.

Looks great BirthNote BirthNote ! Another dynamic attack for Dixie.

And you beat me to posting...

THE LAST TWO CHARACTERS FOR DONKEY KONG RACING!

From the DKC inspired platformer Kaze and the Wild Masks, Kaze!
It's the need-to-speed from now on, Rash from Battletoads!

The roster select screen:

Can't believe it's done. Sure took awhile lol.

I want to offer to you my congratulations on finally finishing this massive project. This was an absolutely incredible labor of love to not just Donkey Kong Country, but the DK series as whole and Rare as well. You did such a phenomenal job for the past three years in providing art content to this thread, and were a big part to the distinctive and special identity that it had. This is the Smash Bros. Ultimate equivalent to a theoretical Donkey Kong Racing title, and that is very high praise to give especially considering how much I have praised Ultimate. I also enjoyed some of your re-designs and interpretations to some of the characters as well. Thank you again for all of your hard work. I am very glad this thread had a contributor putting out a Smash Ultimate tier art effort. Well done and bravo.

This actually raises an interesting perception of things back then. Considering her last game was in 1994 and there was no Metroid game for the N64, the fact that she even made it in 64 with its 12-character roster can be attributed to the legacy of Super Metroid and her status as a classic Nintendo character. If people would have speculated the most likely 12-character roster for a hypothetical Nintendo crossover back in say, 1997, I'm pretty sure most would have thought Bowser, Ganondorf, King Dedede, Wario or Diddy would have been more likely to be playable in said game than Samus. This situation also somewhat reminds me of K. Rool's long absence before making his return in a Smash game.

Dixie, like Toad and Bandana Dee, definitely feel like one of the most notable absences as far as Nintendo characters go. As far as third-party characters go, Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman are good example of classic NES-era characters in a similar vein to Simon Belmont.
Samus making the roster was really miraculous to me speaking as someone that was a very big fan of the Metroid series during the late half of the 1990's. Metroid had a very uncertain future, and there was simply just rumors that a Metroid 64 was going to happen. Samus making the roster for Smash 64 might have very well been the original roster inclusion miracle. Even things like the Planet Zebes stage in general and Ridley's cameo in it really meant a lot to me as well. Seeing Samus in 3D for the first time in a game was a very fond memory I had.

Thank you ChronoBound, I've added your essay to the OP and not-so-subtly bolded and altered the size of your hopes for it. It's an excellent roadmap for future supporters; I will say that with the Stay Humble section, I want to point some things out. The Last Nintendo All-Star moniker had some uses; it goaded people who otherwise wouldn't check out the thread to come in and browse...as well as voice their disapproval and point to Toad. I assure you all the discussions that happened as a result were productive and in good faith, but its main function is that it brought this thread traffic occasionally. I always would congratulate the fandoms of a character whenever they got announced, either in the thread title or on their support threads. Basically, The Last Nintendo All-Star was effective as clickbait and I made sure we as a fandom were cordial to other fanbases. I'm not saying you thought we were arrogant, I just wanted to point out that I made sure that we came off as positive people. This is a good example:

Hopefully zumaddy doesn't mind haha.
Thank you very much for spotlighting my essay, and the profound works that others have made in this thread as well. I will say in regards to "staying humble", the people in this thread have done extremely well. I also appreciate the gracious nature of this thread as well and how you congratulated other newcomers being confirmed. The positivity in this thread was such a stark contrast to what I have seen with Smash discussion almost everywhere else.

I do not think you did anything wrong with that thread title personally (calling Dixie Kong the Last Nintendo All-Star), and I can understand the reasoning as to why you did it.

DKC3 is 25 next month on November 18th! Good time to share anything DKC3 you make or have made in the past.

I have said it many times before but I am going to say it again. DKC3 is a phenomenal game. It was a big reason why Dixie Kong managed to become my favorite DK character. It might very well be the best SNES platformer outside of the trinity of Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and DKC2. I really wish it got more recognition and praise.

While it might make more sense to give essentially my last major thoughts after tomorrow's Direct, part of me felt it would fit better now, largely because the thrust of what I have to say is not really dependent on if we get Dixie in 18 hours or not.

I joined Smashboards almost two years ago. I was a heavy lurker, especially in the general initial DLC hype cycle that had started a year prior. General discussion and speculation lured me, and I'd say the Newcomer thread as well as the initial (now locked) Geno thead have provided a lot of fun and interesting talk, even with how heated or disagreeable things have gotten at times. Those have been good to partake in as far as the grand scheme. But I think I've enjoyed myself most here.

As a DK fan, it's hard to find a good, dedicated space to talk about a series that is so near and dear to my heart. The DK Reddit board is a bit of a ghost town at times, and even DK Vine has its own ups and downs (and a pain to register at to boot). This place has been an oasis in an internet desert that often doesn't feel terribly interested in how much real depth and charm the Donkey Kong games have. Posting in the Dixie thread in a lot of ways has become an outlet for a lot of long time feelings I've had about her status as a character, the DKC games, and Nintendo in general, and for that I will always be grateful.

But it's not just the chance to express my thoughts that's made me glad to be here, It's been a joy to hear and witness the output all of you have added. I've seen movesets with more creativity than I could have imagined, art that perfectly captures the charm of the Rare & Retro designs, & even a hypothetical Diddy Kong Racing roster that makes me terribly annoyed that such a game isn't being worked on now. The highest compliment I can give is that it's a level of dedication and passion that a franchise (and cast of characters) like this truly deserves.

I don't know what's coming tomorrow. In all likelihood it's not Dixie, and we're probably in for a very extended wait before her being in Smash is a viable topic of discussion again. But if nothing else, even if the board and this thread drops off in terms of posters or interest once this long ride is finally over and done with?

Thank you all for allowing a mega fan of these silly ape games to have found such a welcoming place.
An oasis in the desert is exactly how I would describe this thread. It is truly incredible what this thread turned out to be despite Dixie never being at the forefront of the most wanted newcomers for Ultimate, and Nintendo characters in general falling into obscurity for the Smash fanbase's primary desires since Joker was unveiled. It is truly incredibly just how much discussion and content we made for this thread despite Dixie Kong being stated to be unlikely for Ultimate's roster by many people here. It was driven by sheer love and appreciation for the character and her franchise of origin, which is absolutely incredible especially given how depreciated traffic has been for this site during the past few years.

Also one last shoutout to BirthNote for being the MVP contributor to this thread and going above and beyond in their posts for making the best possible case for Dixie in Smash. If I ever need evidence to support her inclusion, it’s good to know I’ll have a lot to pull from here.
BirthNote was probably the best thread runner I have ever seen in my 15 years on SmashBoards. He really helped play a major part in this thread turning out the way it did, and why it was so a hub of activity despite all of the circumstances facing Dixie Kong. He constantly spotlighted the efforts made by others, and helped try to cool things when things got heated. This was probably the best support topic (especially given the size that it is) I have ever seen for a prospective Smash newcomer not just for the Ultimate epoch, but even going back to pre-Brawl. This was a really great thread, and BirthNote's great management of it was a big part of what made it as special as it was.

This was a really beautiful and poignant post, Valkyrie. Thank you very much for typing it all out and sharing it. Those pictures you shared were also stunning. Your personal story about why Dixie Kong and DKC3 means so much to you I still remember to this day. I also empathize with you on how much the Smash fanbase's desires have changed during the past three years. I can also relate with you in that Banjo & Kazooie was the only character from both Fighter Passes to which I had extensive fond memories of their source material.

All of your words I agree with. This thread is very much proof that Smash and Nintendo fanbases in general do not have to be the cesspool of toxicity that they are currently known for being. We may not have gotten Dixie Kong onto Ultimate's legendary roster, but we still had very fond memories and experiences in this thread during the past three years despite there hardly having been anything going in Dixie's favor since 2018.

I am still glad this thread somehow managed to attract so much of the users from prior Smash speculation periods and that we managed to not be bitter despite us being in a time and place where characters like Dixie Kong no longer are highly requested with much of the fanbase. I do hope someday Dixie Kong does go on to become one of the most wanted characters for Smash, but even if she never does, I am grateful for having such a positive experience in this thread, and all of nice posts that were made all throughout its lifespan.

Again, this was a very well made post. It truly reflected upon just what a remarkable journey this has been for us and just what was special about this thread.

Thank you for giving me and so many others a shout out. I appreciate it. As I said a few times already in this post, thank you so much for your hard work in maintaining this thread. You did a great job.

I can especially relate to what you said about being glad about seeing an ending as opposed to endless speculation. We shall see how long it is before the next Smash title is announced. Ultimate at least ended on a very high note, which put an end to the that ridiculous fan rule that Smash never ends with a highly requested newcomer.

Your demeanor and attitude was a big part as to why this thread was as chill and positive as it was. You are correct to take a hesitant approach as to whether you will start the next thread.

Yeah, my main hope is just that the likes of K Rool, Ridley, and Banjo don't get cut and that they're here to stay. If there was any doubt for Banjo on that front before, at least him being on N64 NSO gives some confidence as to his staying power.

If Dixie ever happens, it'll be the icing on the cake. I don't think I'll be gone and moved on completely, but I also won't be beating around the bush with speculation to the extent I had up until now, especially if the next cycle gets as ugly as I fear with people fighting over character cuts and such. The price to pay I suppose for getting a one time legendary game like Ultimate. Other than that, yeah, just better luck next time far as who we didn't get.
I am also concerned about what the next epcoh will be like at well given there is a good chance much of the present roster will be jettisoned. Just one of several reasons why Ultimate's conclusion is where I retire from Smash speculation and character support. I am glad we were fortunate to get a title like Ultimate to begin with.

It has been an honor to be on this ride alongside you guys.

I'm just waiting for Chronobound to release his final write up (Sora being the only character he actually predicted) to end this journey.

After Sora's release, i think i have to leave this site again. This time not just because Smash Hype ended, but because sometimes i feel the internet in general has become bothersome, like it has become the opposite of what i used the internet before for, to escape from all the bull****.

Like, this:

But you guys were mostly an exception to all the insanity that has happened. Thanks.
I am touched you are still waiting for my final write up. It should be ready very soon. I have quite a lot to say in it. However, after that, I do plan to get out one more post for this thread. I have an intense time limit to get it out as all of the support thread will closed on the 21st, as such it is not going to be that long (most likely less than 3,000 words). I really want to thank this thread as it was the one place I actually joined being a part of during the Ultimate speculation epoch.

You know, it would be oddly fitting of Dixie's (and the DK series) bad luck with timing if we get a new Country game announced and released in 2022 right after Ultimate's time is done and years before the next Smash title is even announced. A major DK game with her as a prominent main character, and likely occurring in the period where even promotional spirit events have likely stopped.
That seems like what will happen knowing what Dixie's luck has been with Smash Bros.

It will be interesting to see if she does end up returning to prominence in the DK series if it does end up getting a new major installment.

People have had the sentiment that "Dixie Kong is a shoe-in for the next game" ever since Brawl was released and she was shown to be a part of the Forbidden 7. I will believe Dixie is going to happen when she actually ends up being confirmed. The thing is that she is going to probably need a lot of support to make it in much like K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie before her.

As to your latter comment about her being a Chrom-style echo, I personally doubt it.

Echo fighters in general always seemed to be a last minute addition. Dark Pit and Lucina (along with Dr. Mario) were all alternate costumes (like Alph, the Koopalings, the other Heroes, and the other Minecraft characters sharing Steve's slot) promoted into having their own character slots very late into development for Smash 4.

The reason Ultimate had echoes was because of the very low newcomer count for Ultimate's base game (only six, one of which was a semi-clone). Echoes like Daisy and Ken simply involved slight edits to the models. Daisy and Richter as echoes were basically alternate costumes that were given slightly different animations for running (for Daisy only), idle, taunts, and victory animations. Dark Samus had significant animation differences but negligible gameplay differences. Chrom likely benefited due to a high quality model for the character already existing due to Robin's Final Smash. Ken is the only echo that seems be very different and not normally fit into what an echo usually is (along with Chrom to a lesser extent).

Dixie Kong to be an echo would take far more work than any character that was made into an echo fighter to date. Even if the development team decided to make her simply into a Chrom-style echo, she would require more effort to make her into that than Ken. For one, she has a part of her that they would have to be animated in general that Diddy does not have, which is her hair. Simply doing animation physics for stuff like hair takes quite a bit of time and effort, and most Smash mods that have Dixie (and even the Dixie Mii hat in Ultimate) do not animate her hair. Choosing not to animate her hair would be extremely awkward considering how a big iconic part of Dixie is how her hair moves due to her portrayal in DKC2 and DKC3.

Dixie has quite a few things about her that would not involve changing "character balance" (which is one of the critical aspects for most echoes aside from Ken, Chrom, and Lucina have) but would certainly involve more extensive animation work than any echo fighter has received. An example of this would be her picking up barrels with her hair. No other character on the roster has such an unique grabbing animation so it would involve quite a bit of time to do, time that is often very precious when it comes to the decision to make include echo fighters.

In general the amount of work that would be required for Dixie Kong even for a Chrom-style echo is what would probably keep her (or maybe even kept her) from being an echo fighter. Echo fighters are additions made at the end of development when time is very limited

In general, the echo fighters were merely a very quick means of buffing the roster size late into development. Most of them involved short cuts for their additions with minimal edits to the fighter that was being "echoed". Dixie Kong by contrast would need extensive work even if her only two unique moves from Diddy Kong was her recovery special and Final Smash, simply due to the nature of her design.

Impressive.

It really is impressive, and makes me eager to see what happens with Ultimate modding in the future. In the future, it might be possible to add additional slots to the character select screen (there are four empty spots on the character selection screen even with the conclusion to Pass 2), and maybe we gain an ability to add four additional newcomers to Ultimate without them having to replace one of the characters in the game or having them share a slot (which is the present method for Ultimate mods).

In particular I am impressed that the mod creator managed to include the gumball popgun, and a shattered model for it too. I also like that it appears that the Mii hat was utilized for it. It was definitely a high quality Mii hat.

I do hope it will be possible to use Ultimate mods without modding your Switch much like how Project M was still able to be played without modding the Wii.

It is still nice to see a high quality Dixie Kong model fighting in Ultimate though. Very few Dixie mods in general have ever been made for Smash, let alone one that looks as good as the one linked in the quoted post.

Hello guys, I haven't been active much on this thread in the past few months but I just want to say kudos to everyone here who made me see Dixie as a much worthy contender for a Smash slot. There's so much passion and talent that has come out of this thread which has been a pleasure witnessing. See you all for the next Smash game however long that may be, Dixie will always have a strong fighting chance for the roster so have faith
Thank you very much for the kind words. I wish I was as optimistic as you in regards to Dixie's future prospects though.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for your work in maintaining the Dixie for Smash twitter account. It is definitely critical in this day and age considering how most of the character campaigns these days are on massive social media sites.

The Dixie Kong skin mod for Smash Ultimate finally dropped and it looks great! https://gamebanana.com/mods/328629

View attachment 334416
As I said in my response to another post talking about this mod, the model is really high quality, and I like that she utilizes the gumball popgun. However, looking at the screenshots in the link provided, it is quite bizarre seeing Dixie using Diddy Kong's Rocket Barrel Jet Pack. I hope that this mod is built upon and people give the mod a hair helicopter recovery move, an unique Final Smash, and an assortment of hair attacks. Still, its nice to see Dixie Kong receive something like this, and just when the last newcomer is about to be released no less.

This now concludes what is probably my final mass response post for this thread. As I said, I do plan to do one more post for this thread. I hope people here look forward to it. It will not be very long. However, I do want to give my thanks for what a phenomenal support thread that this has been. This was the ultimate support thread for a truly special heroine.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess it would give me another reason to use the NintenZone section again. I know it has a Metroid series thread, but it alone wasn’t enough reason for me to keep going back there.

By the way, the price for N64 online is disgusting. Now I know I would only use it for a very specific thing like Diddy Kong Racing online or Goldeneye if they found a way to get it out of licensing hell, not to generically experience Super Mario 64 and such again. I thought it would only be a $10 or $20 price increase at most, but $50?

Needless to say, the days of Virtual Console are over and never coming back. It was obviously a diminishing returns thing with the VC system, and they see the Netflix style way of cataloguing older games as more profitable now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom