• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know where Dixie stands with this recent tweet from Sakurai's, but I hope it increases her chances by a mile if any.
It does increase her chances quite a bit. If only because Nintendo hand picked characters will most likely be from 1st party franchises.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So you unironically main weird characters. How about that Piranha Plant huh?
I like it but I don't know if it will fit my playstyle. Of the current newcomers, Isabelle has my interest the most because she's basically Villager with traps. My OG weirdos the Ice Climbers are back too while Wii Fit and Dedede have already been confirmed to have had enormous buffs so it'll be hard to pick.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I like it but I don't know if it will fit my playstyle. Of the current newcomers, Isabelle has my interest the most because she's basically Villager with traps. My OG weirdos the Ice Climbers are back too while Wii Fit and Dedede have already been confirmed to have had enormous buffs so it'll be hard to pick.
Are you going to try K. Rool? I ask because he has a very unique and weird moveset for a heavyweight character.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty lame that Dixie has never had any sort of role in Smash whatsoever. Yeah, I guess I'm glad she's not an Assist Trophy, but it's pretty absurd that such a big character never gets to show her face in any capacity. At least Toad, Slippy, Waluigi, and all the others get to do something.

In fact I could pretty much lodge the same complaint with the rest of the extended DK cast. I'm not asking for them all to be playable, but Cranky and Rambi should absolutely have some role in Smash.
Imo DK series deserves 2 more ATs in smash. Rambi and one more kremling (klump/kutlass/bazuka). And tnt-barrel as an items. And of course unique Dixie and semi clone Funky armed with surfboard and DK64 weapons. At least one can dream... :D

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Imo DK series deserves 2 more ATs in smash. Rambi and one more kremling (klump/kutlass/bazuka). And tnt-barrel as an items. And of course unique Dixie and semi clone Funky armed with surfboard and DK64 weapons. At least one can dream... :D
Dixie Kong is all we need left to make the DK representation in the roster complete. Funky and Cranky being added afterwards would make it perfect.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie Kong is all we need left to make the DK representation in the roster complete. Funky and Cranky being added afterwards would make it perfect.
Honestly, with Piranha Plant in, I would love to have Rambi as a playable character even. Cause you know, you control him a lot in DKC games so that means he's a steady playable character in the franchise already.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I always said at least Diddy and Dixie should be in all the Mario Kart, sports and party games. It's actually mind boggling that Diddy isn't in Mario Kart 8 especially when he's in most of the older ones. I can't understand it.

I loved seeing K. Rool in Mario Super Sluggers for Wii, that was the only time they included him in a Mario sports game. Imagine how much more well known Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool would be if they were in all the Mario spinoffs? It's the same reason you see people wanting Waluigi so much, not because he's a particularly important character, but because Waluigi is in literally every Mario spinoff so countless fans see him in games over and over again.

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
If Nintendo put Dixie in Mario Party, then that could mean that they want to promote her character. And so, then maybe that'd be a sign of them requesting her to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think Dixie should be in more Mario spin-offs. K.Rool on the other hand and as much as I LOVE K.Rool (he is my favorite Nintendo character afterall) I'd rather him return to the DKC series and PERMANENTLY remain there for the time being. K.Rool is unlike Bowser where Bowser dislikes Mario but still sees him as a worthy rival. So it's easier for me to see Bowser golfing, kart racing, playing tennis, partying, etc with Mario than K.Rool to do that with the Kongs who he DESPISES and has no respect for. Yeah it was cool seeing him in Super Sluggers (and I used him a lot. If you tapped the ball with K.Rool it was an automatic homerun) and I used K.Rool a lot in Barrel Blast. But for the sake of the character I'd rather he not go partying and sporting with Mario and the Kongs TOO much. People already view K.Rool as a "Bowser knock-off" rather not continue to throw fuel onto that fire.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And the DK Crew would make for sweet, sweet gravy to add as a bonus.

Honestly don't think Lord Frederik would be necessary, though, but having him as a boss would be cool someday.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
K. Rool is not that serious of a character. His name is a stupid pun. He makes goofy faces and looks at the camera when he throws his crown or glides across the screen on his blunderbuss. He steals bananas. He wears a wig and waves his arms about when you hit his propeller pack. You go into his shoe to shoot his toes.

He would fit in fine with the Mario cast or a DK spinoff. Anyway, I don't think most people care about interpreting things like Mario Party as actual "canon" games. They're just party games where people want to play as their fave characters. I think K. Rool would be a popular pick.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
And the DK Crew would make for sweet, sweet gravy to add as a bonus.
I'm just really glad we got K Rool so that now we can request other characters. What a nightmare that was having TWO vital characters to desperately hope for. Now that we have one, we can just focus on Dixie, after which we might get some bonus characters.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Hey people. I may not have been posting for this speculation period, but I was still advocating for Dixie in Smash, and I know other people who did too.

Most of Dixie's fans aren't all in one place, we're kind of disseminated everywhere and since we're not super vocal about it, maybe it looks like she's less popular than she really is. People probably underestimate her popularity. I'm still hoping we'll get her as DLC since it seems strange for Krystal to be acknowledged as an Assist Trophy and not Dixie, for example. I'm probably too hopeful though, but I hope we end up getting her.

I'm just glad K.Rool's fans got their break.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I always thought the best DK assist trophy would be Cranky "taking it to the fridge." He'd spawn in the background like the Squid Sisters with his DJ station and make all the projectile fruits (maybe even the occasional explosive orange from Krusha) rain from the sky for a few seconds.

It would be sweet if Dixie was also added for Super Mario Party DLC, there’s evidence to suggest the game will receive some:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MARIOPARTY...ent_evidence_pointing_to_dlc_for_super_mario/

https://m.imgur.com/a/U3q0OAl
And it would make sense to add more characters to this Mario Party, since they all have their own dice and are distinct from one another.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think we underestimate Dixie's popularity because she doesn't do very well on fan polls.

Granted the ones I've looked at are all pre-K Rool so that could have been a factor. Obviously there's a ton of overlap.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think we underestimate Dixie's popularity because she doesn't do very well on fan polls.

Granted the ones I've looked at are all pre-K Rool so that could have been a factor. Obviously there's a ton of overlap.
She does pretty well on polls from what I've seen. Notably, before K. Rool's confirmation, K. Rool would typically be ranked 1-3 while Dixie would still often be in the top 10, which is a pretty incredible feat when you consider that multiple characters from the same series usually either drag each other down (Pokemon) due to vote splitting or one character just dominates completely, leaving any others much further behind.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie is popular but she hasn’t yet reached the mega-status of previous highly speculated characters, I think was his point. K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo...

...maybe Smash fans just really like villains.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Dixie is popular but she hasn’t yet reached the mega-status of previous highly speculated characters, I think was his point. K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo...

Well due to the severe lack of villains I can understand, Bowser, Jr/Koopalings, Ganondorf and arguably Wolf and Mewtwo were the only villains in the series. I consider others like Meta Knight, Dedede, D.Pit and Wario to be anti heroes. I suppose people like being able to be the bad guys "evil is cool" and all plus the ability of rival battle is fun too.

It does puzzle me a bit that the previous game went out of their way to add more female characters and Dixie wasn't one of them despite being the perfect candidate to advise Tropical Freeze and one of Nintendo's earliest female heroines.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Mega Man is another character that had reached (heh) mega-status, and he is not a villain. During pre-Brawl you had the likes of Sonic and Diddy Kong have that (and before Brawl's announcement, Wario).

Even now the closest thing to the next superstar in terms of requests is Isaac. Bandanna Dee is also very highly requested and he has not been an antagonist in the series for ten years now (I think his only antagonist roles were as your first opponent in Kirby Super Star's Megaton Punch and as King Dedede's right hand man in Revenge of the King in Kirby Super Star Ultra).

Regardless, Dixie Kong should definitely be having far more requests and interest shown for her than she does right now. Its really a shame and makes little sense.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Hey people. I may not have been posting for this speculation period, but I was still advocating for Dixie in Smash, and I know other people who did too.

Most of Dixie's fans aren't all in one place, we're kind of disseminated everywhere and since we're not super vocal about it, maybe it looks like she's less popular than she really is. People probably underestimate her popularity. I'm still hoping we'll get her as DLC since it seems strange for Krystal to be acknowledged as an Assist Trophy and not Dixie, for example. I'm probably too hopeful though, but I hope we end up getting her.

I'm just glad K.Rool's fans got their break.
Kinda similiar to us Isaac Fans, even though I'd say us Gs Fans got a BIT more vocal this generation than before.

I have a Feeling that DLC is more reserved for Thirds than for First Party Chars. Cloud, BK or Sora for Smash would be much bigger Headlines than Chars like Dixie or Isaac could ever be, even though me personally I'd buy Dixie Dlc day one. and since Nintendo has decided the DLC i think Dixies Chance have actually decreased a bit.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dixie's a weird case. Her fanbase is consistent but won't reduce cities to anarchy if she isn't in games like Waluigi, Diddy, and Bowser Jr fans do. She's like that girl that everyone likes but nobody ever dates for whatever reason. It's clear Nintendo knows people like her because they made a big deal about her return to Tropical Freeze but I think she's hard to read because she's not a character that has a lot of fan art or cosplayers either. She's liked, no question, but the enthusiasm isn't really there, know what I mean?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm just really glad we got K Rool so that now we can request other characters. What a nightmare that was having TWO vital characters to desperately hope for. Now that we have one, we can just focus on Dixie, after which we might get some bonus characters.
I know that horrible feeling about hoping and waiting for your most wanted characters to get in for so long. I've waited 17 years to get both K. Rool and Ridley, and the wait was a nightmare. But now I feel like I'm living in a dream.

Yep, I love me some villains. While K. Rool and Ridley were my most wanted characters, I still would like to see a couple of more villains join the roster. Porky and Pig Ganon are now my most wanted villain reps to get into Smash, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Medusa or Hades as well as Wart.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Plus I don't think Dixie has that emotional factor that a lot of the big characters have. I've seen at least three videos of grown men bawling their eyes out about K. Rool making it in. My 35 year old cousin broke down when I showed him Cloud was DLC in Smash 4 back in 2015. Most Geno fans openly admit that they'd probably get a little misty eyed at least if he makes the cut. This of course pairs with people going nuts with Ridley's reveal. Even Isabelle had a good number of people ping ponging off the walls with her reveal. I have a hard time seeing people react to Dixie this way. Most people would be happy and there would be few detractors but I don't see Etika like responses aside from her most die hard fans.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
you ever wonder if dixie would be a lot more popular if she was in dk64?

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Dixie will always be hurt by the view that she is "girl Diddy." Even if she was a semi-clone, it's hard to sell that type of character as a must-have addition to the roster. Not being in DK64 hurt since it deprived her of potentially unique tools like it gave Diddy.

EDIT: Literally as I was typing this ZeroJanitor made their post. Heh. But, yes, undoubtedly. Not only was DK64 huge back in the day, there are a lot of people who have never played the DKC series but played 64 (go figure on that one).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think Dixie will always be hurt by the view that she is "girl Diddy." Even if she was a semi-clone, it's hard to sell that type of character as a must-have addition to the roster. Not being in DK64 hurt since it deprived her of potentially unique tools like it gave Diddy.

EDIT: Literally as I was typing this ZeroJanitor made their post. Heh. But, yes, undoubtedly. Not only was DK64 huge back in the day, there are a lot of people who have never played the DKC series but played 64 (go figure on that one).
For better or worse, I wouldn't be mad if Cranky and Funky got in over her, seeing as they came earlier. I could expect a :ultdaisy: situation of taking a while before making it, though it probably wouldn't be the best of outcomes, even if patience is a virtue.

Until then, I'm not sure what could be done to let bigwigs know about Dixie from the 2020s onwards. For now, it's a stance of "wait and see".

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Even though you disagree, I'm interested in who else you consider a Nintendo All-Star.

Not knocking you or anything, I mean it.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Something else worth noting about Dixie Kong's "lack of support" is that she is currently in a situation similar to Isabelle. Isabelle also did not have much support in fan polls, as seen in this Source Gaming Smash Ultimate poll. Dixie Kong made the top 20 in that poll with 267 total votes, while Isabelle only received 30 total votes. In addition, Source Gaming's Smash 4 Japanese poll also shows that Dixie Kong was a top 15 character choice, while Isabelle was no where to be seen. It's worth noting that Isabelle was an assist trophy in Smash 4, but other Smash 4 assist trophies like Waluigi and Shadow still made the list. Lastly, r/smashbros also had an echo fighter poll not too long ago, and Dixie earned third place while Isabelle earned fourth place. With Isabelle eventually being added and becoming a semi-clone, it shows that Dixie Kong could also easily be added to Smash in a similar way. The fact that most people also thought that both Dixie and Isabelle would be echos, only for them to be proven wrong when Isabelle got her own spot on the roster, shows that some people may have underestimated their chances as fully realized characters.

Overall, my point is that Dixie Kong may have been overlooked for various reasons, same with Isabelle before her reveal. This could be anything from not being as heavily requested as other characters, King K. Rool having higher priority, or even Dixie Kong being dismissed as an echo by some people. I think it's shocking that Dixie did not make the initial roster, considering her importance to the DKC trilogy and Tropical Freeze, and I definitely think she deserves to be a semi-clone or unique character rather than an echo. With many highly requested characters like Isaac and Skull Kid out of the picture for now, Dixie Kong suddenly gets bumped up quite a few spots in terms of the most wanted, realizable characters for Ultimate.

If Nintendo wants to promote their own brand with a couple of DLC characters, Dixie Kong would be a great first-party choice for her importance to Nintendo history. It feels so weird that other reoccuring Nintendo characters like Peach, Zelda, and Samus are playable, but not Dixie Kong. Including her would make the roster feel much more complete, and with Tropical Freeze on the Switch, many potential consumers would notice her during Black Friday shopping and beyond. I think Dixie Kong would be a great DLC character choice, and she could come with a Tropical Freeze stage like Scorch N' Torch, as well as music from the Country trilogy, Returns, and Tropical Freeze. Regardless if she's added or not as DLC, she will remain my most supported first-party character, because she very much deserves to be playable and it's a crime that she's not already there.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Isabelle is in because she's become the main mascot of Animal Crossing. She's literally the star of the series. That's why she's in, and why Tom Nook also apparently missed his chance forever. Isabelle was obviously not that requested in the Smash community but she was an overlooked shoo-in due to how promoted she is by Nintendo and the fact that a lot of people here don't seem to know much about Animal Crossing.

Dixie can't be the main star for the obvious reason that DK and Diddy exist, so she'll never have as much promotion as Isabelle for that reason. I'd say Toadette gets far more promotion than anyone else now, but again Toadette won't get in if Captain Toad doesn't, but they'd probably be male/female alts of each other anyway.

Dixie should have been promoted more throughout the year. If she was in DK64, and DKCR, and appeared in the Kart/sports/party games, she'd be in a better position than she is now.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Isabelle is in because she's become the main mascot of Animal Crossing. She's literally the star of the series. That's why she's in, and why Tom Nook also apparently missed his chance forever. Isabelle was obviously not that requested in the Smash community but she was an overlooked shoo-in due to how promoted she is by Nintendo and the fact that a lot of people here don't seem to know much about Animal Crossing.

Dixie can't be the main star for the obvious reason that DK and Diddy exist, so she'll never have as much promotion as Isabelle for that reason. I'd say Toadette gets far more promotion than anyone else now, but again Toadette won't get in if Captain Toad doesn't, but they'd probably be male/female alts of each other anyway.

Dixie should have been promoted more throughout the year. If she was in DK64, and DKCR, and appeared in the Kart/sports/party games, she'd be in a better position than she is now.
Dixie was litterally the main star of Donkey Kong Country 3; the game was subtitled “Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble”, and she was the main protagonist of the game. If that’s not a “main star” then I don’t know what is. I agree that Isabelle is a very important character, and deserves to join the ranks of Villager as mascots of the Animal Crossing series. With that said, it’s very hard to argue Dixie Kong’s importance to her series; she is the second most promient character on the boxart for Tropical Freeze, next to Donkey Kong, and she is also on the boxarts for games like Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, where Dixie is featured on the packaging while King K. Rool is nowhere to be seen. She was also promoted heavily for Tropical Freeze; Nintendo even created a trailer highlighting her for the Switch port of the game.

You don’t have to agree with the idea of Dixie Kong becoming a playable character in Smash, but it’s hard to ignore her importance to the Donkey Kong series and her current promotion for Tropical Freeze. I’m not entirely sure why she has not been in many Mario or Donkey Kong spin-offs, but another character that has also been missing from them is King K. Rool; with his inclusion in Smash, hopefully that will change for him, and it can definitely change for Dixie Kong too. Dixie is not the face of the Donkey Kong franchise, neither is King K. Rool, but both are just as important as many characters that are already playable in Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie was litterally the main star of Donkey Kong Country 3; the game was subtitled “Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble”, and she was the main protagonist of the game. If that’s not a “main star” then I don’t know what is. I agree that Isabelle is a very important character, and deserves to join the ranks of Villager as mascots of the Animal Crossing series. With that said, it’s very hard to argue Dixie Kong’s importance to her series; she is the second most promient character on the boxart for Tropical Freeze, next to Donkey Kong, and she is also on the boxarts for games like Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, where Dixie is featured on the packaging while King K. Rool is nowhere to be seen. She was also promoted heavily for Tropical Freeze; Nintendo even created a trailer highlighting her for the Switch port of the game.

You don’t have to agree with the idea of Dixie Kong becoming a playable character in Smash, but it’s hard to ignore her importance to the Donkey Kong series and her current promotion for Tropical Freeze. I’m not entirely sure why she has not been in many Mario or Donkey Kong spin-offs, but another character that has also been missing from them is King K. Rool; with his inclusion in Smash, hopefully that will change for him, and it can definitely change for Dixie Kong too. Dixie is not the face of the Donkey Kong franchise, neither is King K. Rool, but both are just as important as many characters that are already playable in Smash.
Think of it it like this: there were five unique newcomers, five echoes, and one semi-clone.

If Dixie can't be an echo, then her competition was already freakishly difficult to beat out. You could argue Incineroar is the most disposable of the bunch, but there's not much you can do to resist the corporate Pokemon machine. Who else are you gonna cut? Ridley? Inkling? Simon Belmont?

Dixie, like most other characters, had to sit out and wait her turn because of Everyone Is Here. If she isn't DLC, then that will be cause for concern.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Think of it it like this: there were five unique newcomers, five echoes, and one semi-clone.

If Dixie can't be an echo, then her competition was already freakishly difficult to beat out. You could argue Incineroar is the most disposable of the bunch, but there's not much you can do to resist the corporate Pokemon machine. Who else are you gonna cut? Ridley? Inkling? Simon Belmont?

Dixie, like most other characters, had to sit out and wait her turn because of Everyone Is Here. If she isn't DLC, then that will be cause for concern.
Yeah, I feel like King K. Rool should have definitely got priority over Dixie Kong. With a newcomer sample that small, it’s not hard to see how Dixie Kong was left out. With that said, I still stand by her being a very important character, and if she is not DLC, then she will be a very likely choice for a potential new Smash game. It makes sense that Isabelle was prioritized too since she is more relevant at the moment and Animal Crossing is a huge IP, but if the amount of Ultimate newcomers were comparable to Brawl’s, than Dixie would have had a much better shot at the base roster.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
When you think about it Smash Ultimate had 3 fan-fav newcomers and 3 promotional newcomers.

Obviously Ridley, K Rool and Simon aren't there to promote anything but rather appease old-school Nintendo fans. And Inkling, Isabelle and Incineroar (all I names, hmm) are there to promote recent/ongoing/upcoming games. And Piranha Plant is...neither!

Dixie could theoretically be both like Inkling probably was. I just wish they'd make a new DK game--I love Tropical Freeze a lot but after 200% completing it a second time, I need more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When you think about it Smash Ultimate had 3 fan-fav newcomers and 3 promotional newcomers.

Obviously Ridley, K Rool and Simon aren't there to promote anything but rather appease old-school Nintendo fans. And Inkling, Isabelle and Incineroar (all I names, hmm) are there to promote recent/ongoing/upcoming games. And Piranha Plant is...neither!

Dixie could theoretically be both like Inkling probably was. I just wish they'd make a new DK game--I love Tropical Freeze a lot but after 200% completing it a second time, I need more.
Maybe if we actually knew what Retro has been doing all this time, the wait wouldn't hurt as much. Granted, I still haven't actually got around to a Switch yet, so hey, much of Tropical Freeze will be a new experience to me in the meantime.

Also, Richter was kind of a backdoor promotion for Castlevania Requiem, but we didn't know that at the time. :p

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Since we're discussing games she missed, was there any reason given why Dixie wasn't in the original Diddy Kong Racing?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Since we're discussing games she missed, was there any reason given why Dixie wasn't in the original Diddy Kong Racing?
That wasn't really meant to be related to Dkc originally but Shigeru Miyamoto suggested to RareWare to make Diddy the main character early on during development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom