• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thoughts on the direct:
-Kencineroar look cool but were unfortunately not especially exciting thanks to Vergeben, Box Theory and the arguing associated with them really dragging down my hype. I honestly just tuned out their trailer and kept working (was watching the live stream at work) and only went back to analyze it later.

-Spirits looks kind of boring to be honest. Basically just an attempt to pick up on the mobile gaming market (which I'm not a fan of) while offering a replacement for trophies and custom characters. Better than Smash Tour at least.

-The AT slaughter was real. I swear I could hear distant cries of agony when Isaac was shown. I actually supported Black Knight and Tiki too, but they at least got promoted I suppose.

-I unironically love Piranha Plant. The fighter I never knew I wanted. DLC in general seems to be about on course to what I expected in terms of content, cost and timeline.

-World of Light could be cool. Hope it has more cinematics than just the one we saw. If it turns out to be how you unlock most of the cast and has branching paths that allow you to choose who to save first, that'd be sweet.
On World of Light: The Vault said Cutscenes in plural on the showcase so at the very least it'll have an opening and an ending. As for the paths, it looks like the first section is a linear series of battles to get you used to Spirit fights before it branches out.

Piranha Plant reminds me of movesets I made for FLUDD and Pidgeotto a long time ago.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Where's this clip from?

Anyways, kind of realized earlier that Dixie and Geno are the only major candidates from the Brawl speculation days that are still in the running. Isn't that nuts?
Unless you count Rayman- who while there in Brawl, had a much bigger following in Smash 4- then yeah.

All the rest are Assist Trophies or in by now.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Where's this clip from?

Anyways, kind of realized earlier that Dixie and Geno are the only major candidates from the Brawl speculation days that are still in the running. Isn't that nuts?
Yeah pretty much. K Rool and Ridley are in, and Isaac, Krystal, Bomberman and Skull Kid are all stuck in assist trophy hell. Wild.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Where's this clip from?

It's amazing how they survived after that massive slaughter of disconfirmed characters during the last direct. We should consider ourselves lucky.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of fanbases with long histories, I don't think I'll ever stop feeling bad about the Toad fanbase. Toad should have been in as early as Melee as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big Waluigi fan but if you really want to talk about characters done dirty by Smash, Toad's pretty much at the front of the line there. At least he's not a screaming can of pepper spray like he was in all the previous games this time around. Seeing Toad punch people in the face/stomach/crotch is at least entertaining.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Speaking of fanbases with long histories, I don't think I'll ever stop feeling bad about the Toad fanbase. Toad should have been in as early as Melee as far as I'm concerned. I'm a big Waluigi fan but if you really want to talk about characters done dirty by Smash, Toad's pretty much at the front of the line there. At least he's not a screaming can of pepper spray like he was in all the previous games this time around. Seeing Toad punch people in the face/stomach/crotch is at least entertaining.
Toad and Isaac are in the same camp; in my eyes. Toad supporters just aren't as vocal.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the same. I am extremely confident Bandanna Dee is going to happen. For Elma, its very suspicious that there is almost no Xenoblade X content in Ultimate yet a Mii costume, several tracks ans spirits for Xenoblade 2. If Elma is outright lacking a spirit in Ultimate, then I see it no different than the bread crumbs that made it obvious to everyone that Dark Samus was coming.

Dixie Kong is a huge name, but I cannot shake the feeling if she was being planned that they would have held off on showing off her spirits. However, as you said, she is a good candidate for a Lucas/Wolf/Isabelle type character which would lower the burden for the team. I wish I could feel more optimistic on Dixie Kong in general, but right now I already see the five slots as:

1. Microsoft newcomer (likely Banjo-Kazooie)
2. Square-Enix newcomer (likely Geno, could be Sora or a Dragon Quest character though)
3. Namco-Bandai newcomer (likely Heihachi, could be Lloyd)
4. Bandanna Dee
5. Elma or Dixie Kong (right now, I feel Elma is more likely due to the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content).
Honestly, Dixie does have some merrits.

They might've just pushed her back into DLC development because making her a Echo proved to be out of character.

We also heard from Sakurai that Isabelle was once considered for a Villager Echo, but the body porportions didn't allow them to. And I guess overall popularity made them think Isabelle is worth more than being a simple Echo. In the end however.. after seeing Isabelle being played far more, there isn't much unique about her moveset compared to Villager aside from what we saw in the trailer. Literally everything else seems taken from Villager.

So if we consider that, would we really want Dixie to follow the same route as Isabelle? I personally think not honestly.

Now, we should also look at what we've gotten from the Smash 4 DLC, which is of course the highly requested veterans ; :4mewtwo::4feroy::4lucas:. And only one of them, Mewtwo, is 100% unique. Roy and Lucas are semi-clones. Then there's :4ryu::4bayonetta::4cloud::4corrin:, and all aside from Ryu reuse assets from other fighters. It's been said that Cloud was based on Ike's moveset (as a base), Bayonetta was build from assests from Zero Suit Samus, and Corrin had Marth as a base. Of course all of them are unique, and only borrow the minimal, but fact remains fact... Only 2 of the DLC characters seem fully unique. And those are Mewtwo and Ryu.

So with that being said, Dixie might have a good chance, and her outcry was mostly as a unique character. Sure there where people who wouldn't mind her being a Echo, myself included after Chrom's reveal- but most of us want more out of her. Dixie can easily be build up from using Diddy as a base, and then implement DK's cargo element as a unique gimmick, as well as Peach's float (as a base maybe). So that could be the reason why her inclusion was deemed to complicated for Echo status, and otherwise not realisable just as Isabelle is (who I feel is far more cloney than the likes of Roy, Lucas, Luigi, Ganondorf Wolf, and Falco).

There's hope. We just didn't really realise it yet. Sure 5 spots alone is depressing, but it might be enough just for Dixie to make it in. If Rex was denied for example, there's a good chance they looked into titles before Xenoblade 2's release, and one of the biggest titles released was easily DKC Tropical Freeze. At least, on Nintendo consoles. Yes Elma also seems likely, a Square-"rep" is all but confirmed and Namco-Bandai might want a character in, but it would be weird if first party characters where totally skipped. She has a "hype worthy" enough gimmick or two to be hidden, with the Helicopter Spin and hair grabs, so that's a factor in her favor.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yeah pretty much. K Rool and Ridley are in, and Isaac, Krystal, Bomberman and Skull Kid are all stuck in assist trophy hell. Wild.
Konami just got Simon/Richter and Snake returning, it was obvious Konami wasn't going to get 3+ reps so Bomberman being an Assist made sense and better than him not being there at all. I have no idea why people would think Konami would get 3+ reps in a single game, Bomberman is a much better fit for next Smash.

As for Krystal the Starfox franchise itself is on life support again and she hasn't been in a game since Command in 2006 so it's obvious why she wasn't considered, but the ballot obviously pushed her into Assist when it wasn't before.

The way I see it, Dixie, a new Zelda rep (Skull Kid being the most wanted), and probably Geno and Isaac were the biggest 4 overlooked this time. Geno still has a shot at DLC, and maybe Dixie, but I guess Zelda is not getting a newcomer in 17 years. Had we had more than 6 newcomers on the base roster some of these would have been likely.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
The Toad situation is a bit sad, yeah. I remember he had a decent sized fanbase during the Brawl days but it feels like after Smash For people pretty much completely gave up on the character. You could see something similar happening with the Ridley fanbase before he was announced and I think if K. Rool didn't make it into this game most people would have given up on him as well. It's crazy to think but Sakurai likely saved K. Rool from becoming a relic of the past.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Wanted to pop in and say if I were Nintendo/Sakurai I would add Dixie solely based on K.Rool's placement on the Ballot alone. I mean I would be thinking "Man these people really love K.Rool so in turn they most love DKC, so in turn all of those people who voted for K.Rool will probably buy Dixie as DLC AND she has the advantage of having a recent game" in my mind that makes the most since. But knowing Sakurai's 1st DLC character he will probably opt for a playable Zinger or Kritter instead...

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
at least Zinger would be a new DK character. I'm all for that! And it even appeared in the WoL cutscene so maybe it's one of Sakurai's teacher's pets.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly a kremling would be pretty cool, especially if they made the AUGH noise when they got hit

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I really don't want anymore enemies besides main antagonists to join the roster, I would think it would be cool if we got Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time or the grim reaper sub-boss that's guarding the boss key in Stone Tower Temple in Majora's Mask.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While I really don't want anymore enemies besides main antagonists to join the roster, I would think it would be cool if we got Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time or the grim reaper sub-boss that's guarding the boss key in Stone Tower Temple in Majora's Mask.
Before Bandana Dee took off in popularity, I remember someone made a concept of a Kirby helper trio that was Knuckle Joe, Sir Kibble, and Bonkers back in 2005/6.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Before Bandana Dee took off in popularity, I remember someone made a concept of a Kirby helper trio that was Knuckle Joe, Sir Kibble, and Bonkers back in 2005/6.
So you unironically main weird characters. How about that Piranha Plant huh?

Also the current notion I most agree with is the music one. If TF or DKC3 has a bunch of music in the game at launch, I'd say Dixie's shot is over as that music would've launched alongside her. If both games have no new music at all, it bodes well for her, provided the community has convinced Sakurai she's a good idea.

I cite Roy as evidence that a popular character based on another character can still be paid DLC. Its a matter of whether the veteran distinction was more important. 5 new ground-up characters could just mean 5 big impact choices from 2nd/3rd parties like Travis Touchdown, Dante, Sora, Banjo etc.

We'll just have to see how it goes. Keep an eye on the music list when the game hits.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If there was an oddball choice that I would love is Klubba, his design is badass and he would bring a new weapon to the series. Kudgel can be one of his costumes colors.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Bro, forget the random enemies, I'd go with Bosses.

-Dogadon (DK64)
-Ba-Boom (DKCTF)
-Bash Master (DKCTF)
-Thugly (DKCR)
-Mole Miner Max (DKCR)
-Skowl (DKCTF)
-Kleever (DKC2)
-Kreepy Krow (DKC2)
-Kackle (not a boss but damn was he a problem)
-Karate Kong (DKJB)
-Ninja Kong (DKJB)
-Sumo Kong (DKJB)
-Gloat-Hog (DKJB)
-Mad Jack (DK64)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if Dixie is a Semi-clone, what missing element of the DK gameplay as a whole should she have?

Animal Buddy?
Team-up? (with either Kiddy or a second Diddy) (thanks Chrom)
Minecarts? (Side-B?)
Riding on Barrels? (also side-B?)

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
It's a real shame Dixie didn't make it in over Daisy. We really need to make ourselves heard and get Sakurai to include her.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It's a real shame Dixie didn't make it in over Daisy. We really need to make ourselves heard and get Sakurai to include her.
Daisy probably wouldn't have been considered if it wasn't for Echoes, I feel that it's in our best interest not to diss on other characters like that regardless on relevancy and popularly cause unfortunately we're not the ones who makes the decisions but we can try our best to have our voices heard to the devs without taking pot shots.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah Dixie and Daisy aren't really comparable. The only original moveset I can see for Daisy is one based around the Mario sports games, and if that's the case then there's a certain other character I'd prefer to take that role...

I really really hope there are more seasons of DLC as well as a second Smash Ballot. It might be redundant since Sakurai already knows what we want, but it would be nice to get a new headcount of the most wanted characters now that Ridley, Rool, and the veterans are all off the table.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3221...-dlc-lineup-is-complete-says-sakurai#comments

So Sakurai has come out and said that the DLC characters are already decided and that Nintendo has 100% control on who they add not Sakurai himself. So honestly I'm expecting a bunch of "relevant" picks.

My top 5 DLC predictions now:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses lord
2. Sylux
3. Pokemon Gen 8 rep
4. Daemon X Machina character
5. Jeanne or Father Baulder as a full fledged newcomer (to promote Bayo 3).

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Dixie and Daisy aren't really comparable. The only original moveset I can see for Daisy is one based around the Mario sports games, and if that's the case then there's a certain other character I'd prefer to take that role...
Daisy (with Peach as a base) could've used certain enemies/items from Super Mario Land in place of stuff like Toad or the vegetables, nix the float & have different stats. A Luigified Peach + Super Mario Land rep in 1, essentially. That way, that certain other character can have a full spin-off centered moveset. Trust me, the material's there if you look well enough. But, I heavily digress...:rolleyes:

I really really hope there are more seasons of DLC as well as a second Smash Ballot. It might be redundant since Sakurai already knows what we want, but it would be nice to get a new headcount of the most wanted characters now that Ridley, Rool, and the veterans are all off the table.
That'd be nice, to put it mildly. I'd have full confidence that Dixie would hit the top 10 (heck, maybe even the top 5) in that scenario.
But for now, I too am expecting relevancy picks. At the same time, who's to say that they don't see Dixie as a relevancy pick? It's a very small possibility, but it's there.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Whoa, Nintendo picking the newcomers and not Sakurai is honestly a HUGE game changer.

This is big. Unless Nintendo has any future DKC game plans, and Dixie is included in them, then we don't know if Dixie's chances have risen or lowered since it's hinted that Sakurai has never been especially big on DKC. Maybe they want her, maybe they don't.

This just got EVEN MORE uncertain. I don't like it.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The sooner Nintendo realizes how relevant Dixie Kong is, the sooner the gaming industry can finally progress.

I would like to point out one thing: if you aren't 100% expecting a Fire Emblem Treehouses character, you are not expecting it enough. Seriously, it is an absolute surefire thing. I am not saying this is a bad thing, just that it is absolutely guaranteed. You can bet on it.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3221...-dlc-lineup-is-complete-says-sakurai#comments

So Sakurai has come out and said that the DLC characters are already decided and that Nintendo has 100% control on who they add not Sakurai himself. So honestly I'm expecting a bunch of "relevant" picks.
I don't know how to feel about this news. Might be good for Dixie ...maybe. Depends if there's a Donkey Kong game coming out next year or they want to promote TF on the switch.

Any hope I had for Banjo is dead now, though.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I hate to say it but I don't see any hope for Banjo, Crash, or Shantae now. The "no hopers" if you will. While I was never a fan of those characters making it to Smash I do legitimately feel bad for their fans. Personally I want more 1st party newcomers regardless if they're older or newer. The most fun thing about Smash is seeing Nintendo's own characters duking it out (I know I'm in the minority). This news may be the most exciting thing about this and is kinda reinvigorating my speculation juices. I hope Nintendo is smart enough to add Dixie and not something "Nintendo" like Pink Gold Peach or Metal Mario or something...honestly I'm starting to think maybe Pirahna Plant was a Nintendo pick and not a Sakurai pick and if that's the case...hoo boy we're in for a ride.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pirahna Plant was totally a Sakurai pick. I also think Banjo-Kazooie still have pretty good prospects. The Nintendo 64 classic is likely coming, and the one thing many are nostalgic about with regards to that console that has not been seen on Nintendo consoles for nearly 15 years is Banjo-Kazooie. The Banjo-Kazooie content in the Minecraft Switch port is also suspicious.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
What's interesting is that Rex and Spring Man missed the cut, Rex being cited as too recent. I'm not sure what this means for Dixie, but it seems that two breakout Switch successes are out. If it's up to corporate, it could be that future titles are the focus, but it seems to contradict why Rex was skipped.

However, Sakurai's wording also implies that he chose the possible fighters out of a selection provided to him by Nintendo. If Tropical Freeze and Dixie came up in that selection based on its success, it's possible she could have been decided by virtue of being easier to make.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think Sakurai just likes Mario a lot. Even before Piranha Plant, look at all the Mario content in the game. Pair that with Sakurai's joy in surprising us, I think PP was a total Sak move.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Nintendo really are the ones choosing, I think Dixie may just be in with a decent chance as Sakurai had already toyed with the idea of her, and a push from Nintendo would probably make him revisit his plans. Feeling pretty positive about her right now.

Top Bottom