• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I just said he probably still has it already and I just said it doesn't really look like Dixie that much, besides that Diddy doesn't have many other costumes to choose from. This is just like the Diddy jab combo theory again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hz44BlBVhdQ

Just found the video with all the colors, Pink Diddy still exist. Apparently the video was taken down for some reason but my info is still confirmed but like I said Dixie can still be dlc even if Pink Diddy is still available.
This is true tbh, It's not like Dixie has yellow fur anyway so it wouldn't really get confusing and there's a lot of inconsistencies over what costumes are removed and aren't, pit still has a dark pit-esque black costume yet ike still had to have his chrom costume removed. Peach lost her daisy outfit yet simon still has a costume with brown hair and blue clothing.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Uh oh

Still don't think it means much, not giving dixie or bandana dee or someone a spirit would be like holding up a big flashing light that says "They're playable you guys! just wait on it!".

If spirits are deconfirmations that would effectively deconfirm every first party character in existence.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Guys, just because Diddy still has his Dixie color palette, doesn't mean she is deconfirmed because Fox still has his Wolf color palette.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
i think the only thing holding dixie back from dlc now is the idea that she's not a hype enough character for a lot of people to dish out $5.99 for her. which i can see the argument for, but i think she has enough fans to justify it, not to mention all the people who will buy her just to have a complete roster.

i just hope im right about this. i dont want this character to be doomed to a trophy/spirit for the rest of my life.
Like BirthNote said, I don't think we have to worry about something like that. There isn't one character that's going to excite everybody, but I think the majority will purchase all of them cause they'll want the complete roster. I mean I've played all the recent Fire Emblem games and I wasn't excited at all for Corrin. Still bought it tho :laugh:
As for DLC, it's to be expected, but it seems that these 5 fighters were already planned. Could Dixie be one of them? Absolutely no idea, but if I had to guess the 5, it'd be:
-Geno, cuz Sakurai wants him
-Banjo & Kazooie, due to the solid terms with Microsoft
-Rayman, due to the exceptional relationship with Ubisoft
-Bandana Dee, since Kirby is Sakurai's baby and he has much more clout than Piranha Plant
-Dixie, because I want her in.
For some reason I thought Piranha would be included in the DLC when I posted my list, but I guess it would be something separate from the Fighter Pass. So yeah adding Rayman to that group makes it even better!

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Still don't think it means much, not giving dixie or bandana dee or someone a spirit would be like holding up a big flashing light that says "They're playable you guys! just wait on it!".

If spirits are deconfirmations that would effectively deconfirm every first party character in existence.
And Spirits are replacing trophies (as also mentioned by Gamexplain in their reactions video).

Both Lucas and Mewtwo had trophies before becoming DLC.

If Dixie becomes DLC, she'll get a Fighter Spirit, too.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If my non-existent Japanese skills are correct, he may be saying he's going to #PasstheDixieBong to the crowd. Which is good news for Dixie and the crowd.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Seems every playable character has a spirit, you can see female Wii Fit trainer here:

Spirits don't de-confirm, if a character is added in DLC they would probably make their spirits unequipable.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Tried something out for the DLC image!

Good job, vibrant colors. Smart decision to use the curly hair to spell DLC out. Only thing I would say is that the mouth looks a little bit muppetish, I'm not sure if it's a big problem enough to change it.

That's a nice clean image.

I shared it on resetera and linked to your profile as credit.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Good job, vibrant colors. Smart decision to use the curly hair to spell DLC out. Only thing I would say is that the mouth looks a little bit muppetish, I'm not sure if it's a big problem enough to change it.

That's a nice clean image.

I shared it on resetera and linked to your profile as credit.
Thanks!

It seems like getting the mouth right is the hardest part of the Kongs :laugh: But I'll definitely try to change it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
And Spirits are replacing trophies (as also mentioned by Gamexplain in their reactions video).

Both Lucas and Mewtwo had trophies before becoming DLC.

If Dixie becomes DLC, she'll get a Fighter Spirit, too.
I still think what breaks this argument to me is that Lucas and Mewtwo were being Veterans from last games prior, so them being brought back was a matter of time, regardless of getting trophies prior in Sm4sh.

So until DLC character is actually one of the characters that were a Spirit before, I'm not going to hold my breath until that time.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I still think what breaks this argument to me is that Lucas and Mewtwo were being Veterans from last games prior, so them being brought back was a matter of time, regardless of getting trophies prior in Sm4sh.
That's correlation, not causation.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's correlation, not causation.
Perhaps, but we hadn't still received any characters as Smash 4 DLC that didn't happen to be Veterans before, either. :drohmy:

At the moment I think it'd be safer to wait if it holds any water to see highly requested characters being Spirits, actually get chosen in Smash through DLC. I personally just have a hunch that Spirits are deconfirmations for now to these characters, unless exception does actually happen - otherwise I'm predicting a lot people will be setting themselves up for another disappointment thinking Spirits don't do anything for characters' chances despite being already purposed as such in Ultimate.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Looking back at the whole cycle, I would've just shown a comprehensive list of who's not playable during E3. That way we rip off the bandaid quickly, people don't waste time building futile hope and we have more productive lives. I'd list the definite deconfirmations, the ones who'll only get a sticker and the ones who will only be a costume.

StormC

Smash Hero
Looking back at the whole cycle, I would've just shown a comprehensive list of who's not playable during E3. That way we rip off the bandaid quickly, people don't waste time building futile hope and we have more productive lives. I'd list the definite deconfirmations, the ones who'll only get a sticker and the ones who will only be a costume.
At least the speculation cycle was short this time. You spent a loooooooong time during the Brawl/4 cycle left wondering. To say nothing of :ultridley: in 4.

And now we know to only expect 5 DLC characters. So that's something, I suppose.

Yeah, not much positives to look at here. But we can try to lick our wounds and move on.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I will always support Dixie for Smash, I'm bowing out the full time speculation game. I don't feel like going through this rodeo for a whole nother year "Feb. 2020" I just want to sit back and enjoy Ultimate when it releases and enjoy these guys :ultkrool::ultridley::ultwolf::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: and not have to worry about DLC. These speculation cycles are exhausting and can sometimes take a toll on your mental stability. I've already pre-loaded the game on my Switch but I didn't pre-order the season pass because if I have last game to base DLC off as well as :ultpiranha: let's just say I don't have much confidence that any of the DLC characters I will personally care about. Once again I support Dixie but I'm definitely will be doing it from afar. It was nice chatting with ya'll and I'll definitely stop in from time to time but nowhere near as much as I have.

cybersai

Smash Ace
The ride never ends. As I said, unlike other requests Dixie is one of the last big Nintendo all-stars and part of a franchise that will never die or end like Donkey Kong and she'll most likely continue to appear in every mainline game onward like she did in Tropical Freeze.

Other requests don't get in because they're from franchises dead, or one-off characters, or are obscure.....Dixie doesn't have those problems.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's an updated version. I do think it looks better!

This is OUTSTANDING!! I WILL put it in the OP VERY soon! And the mouth improvement works wonders! THAT'S how you avoid the Muppet mouth!

Why not illustrate a Dixie moveset too? Your talent is developing and we can always use a new take on how she might play.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The ride never ends. As I said, unlike other requests Dixie is one of the last big Nintendo all-stars and part of a franchise that will never die or end like Donkey Kong and she'll most likely continue to appear in every mainline game onward like she did in Tropical Freeze.

Other requests don't get in because they're from franchises dead, or one-off characters, or are obscure.....Dixie doesn't have those problems.
You completely ignored what I wrote.

Dark Samus was a flat out DEAD character from a subseries that was finished in 2007, yet she got into Ultimate as a newcomer. In Smash Bros., the newcomer for Fire Emblem typically went to the character from the latest game in the series, yet they went with 2012/2013's Chrom over someone from Shadows of Valentia or from Three Houses (it could have been done, Roy was made into a clone for Melee despite his game not having been released yet).

We absolutely have no idea or indication what direction the next game is going to take after Ultimate. For all we know, Sakurai could very well opt for a hard reboot that shuts out characters like Dixie Kong, or make a game entirely of newcomers with loud fanbases (which again shuts out Dixie Kong). There are many scenarios that could keep Dixie Kong from ever becoming a newcomer in Smash Bros.

Just look at Toad. That is a character that is nearly guaranteed to have future appearances in the main franchises, and there are even other versions to the character that are important too (Captain Toad and Toadette), yet we got Daisy (who is nearly spinoff exclusive) and Pirahna Plant as our two Mario newcomers for this game (Geno has a good chance of still happening though). Toad will fall behind likely both Geno and Waluigi in terms of priority to become playable despite him being a far more important and iconic character in general.

Dixie Kong fans absolutely cannot ride into the belief that she is "inevitable". There could easily be no future for the DK series for a long time if Retro Studios has decided to retire from the series. The playable protagonists for the next game could easily just go back to DK and Diddy (only fighting a Kremling Krew led by K. Rool). Characters like Lanky Kong and Funky Kong could possibly surpass Dixie Kong in requests purely due to memes (just look at Waluigi).

Ashley and Shadow fans thought those characters were inevitable to be included in this game due to a whole bunch of things. People thought characters like Ridley, Dark Samus, and Chrom would never become playable due to the conventional wisdom of speculation.

These bold statements you make convince no one, and putting down other characters simply turns away others who might only be sympathetic to Dixie Kong.

We are better than that. A person who is superior at something does not feel the need to constantly brag about their superiority while simultaneously putting down others. Superiority should merely be evident. Talk about the acclaim and sales of the games Dixie Kong has had a starring role in. Talk about how much of a critical character Dixie Kong is for a series that surprisingly among Nintendo's biggest. Talk about about interesting she is as a character (Dixie Kong might very well have been the first game character to have prehensile hair). She has a lot going for her.

Yes, she does stick out very much as a conspicuous absence. She is among the very few critical characters to their franchise not to have any sort of notable role in Ultimate (the only other characters that come to mind are Bandanna Dee and Elma). That is why I feel Dixie Kong's DLC hopes and prospects are absolutely contingent on whether there also exists spirits for Bandanna Dee and Elma. If those characters lack spirits in the final game (especially when really obscure stuff is getting stickers), then it is pretty clear that those two are among the five DLC characters that are being planned, and Dixie Kong is out of the running for this game.

I will have more to say later (particularly on the post that BirthNote wrote as well as posts made by some others). However, your comments are turning away some fans and come across as haughty and condescending. I do not mean this as an insult to you. I deeply care about Dixie Kong getting in too, however, coming from someone who has been involved with character support for over 15 years, that is a counterproductive way of going about it.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Dixie is really fun to play as in Tropical Freeze.

It's funny how my two most wanted characters both have helicopter hair.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
At least the speculation cycle was short this time. You spent a loooooooong time during the Brawl/4 cycle left wondering. To say nothing of :ultridley: in 4.

And now we know to only expect 5 DLC characters. So that's something, I suppose.

Yeah, not much positives to look at here. But we can try to lick our wounds and move on.
That's a fair point, I would still go all the way though and show an official list of who couldn't be playable. The waiting cycle was brief but it felt quite intense at times; the moment Sakurai said not too many newcomers was the moment everyone started to worry.

With that list I would stress that characters couldn't make it but that doesn't diminish them or their fanbases. The stars just didn't align; with that we can avoid toxic people making a huge fuss over the internet. I'd keep the confirmation list a vague secret, and in regards to 3rd Party I would say "this is the list of 3rd party companies with playable characters". Luckily once we saw Snake we learned Konami was back in the game, and since no other guest made it to the base roster, we'd be safe to speculate in the realm of Namco, Capcom, Sega and Konami.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
This is OUTSTANDING!! I WILL put it in the OP VERY soon! And the mouth improvement works wonders! THAT'S how you avoid the Muppet mouth!

Why not illustrate a Dixie moveset too? Your talent is developing and we can always use a new take on how she might play.
Thanks! I guess I could give it a shot although I'm not sure how creative it would be :laugh:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's a fair point, I would still go all the way though and show an official list of who couldn't be playable. The waiting cycle was brief but it felt quite intense at times; the moment Sakurai said not too many newcomers was the moment everyone started to worry.

With that list I would stress that characters couldn't make it but that doesn't diminish them or their fanbases. The stars just didn't align; with that we can avoid toxic people making a huge fuss over the internet. I'd keep the confirmation list a vague secret, and in regards to 3rd Party I would say "this is the list of 3rd party companies with playable characters". Luckily once we saw Snake we learned Konami was back in the game, and since no other guest made it to the base roster, we'd be safe to speculate in the realm of Namco, Capcom, Sega and Konami.
I think for Nintendo , they like the drama over the characters and the speculation which stresses fans out. So they will never do that.

It's up to us fans to moderate that and not become so invested that it hurts our mental health. Because Nintendo as a company,I don't think is harmed by the speculation furor. The exact opposite probably, so they won't do any of that. They want to have complete control over reveals and complete secrecy until the reveal for maximum effect.

StormC

Smash Hero
Right, a company will never be transparent about "here's the content that ISN'T in our product" because that would cripple their marketing campaign.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I feel like that would kind of ruin the fun of speculation though, it would significantly narrow down the list of potential characters and kinda ruin the surprise of reveals

Vez

Smash Apprentice
While I'm definitely a bit worried about Dixie ever being playable in Smash Bros. I do feel pretty good about her future in the mainline Donkey Kong games. There has been a much bigger push from Nintendo (and in general) to have more female protagonists and the most obvious one from the DK series is Dixie. I also think Nintendo knows that she's at least fairly popular as DKC2 is regarded as a SNES classic, she was very well liked in Tropical Freeze and there's a decent sized Smash fanbase for her. Obviously, yeah, anything could happen and they could just go back to using purely Donk and Diddy (and Cranky), but right now I feel Dixie, Funky and K. Rool are pretty safe and will be fairly core characters from now on.

On the other hand if you're one of the five fans of Candy Kong out there you should start getting a bit scared. Kiddy and Chunky already died off screen so we don't talk about them.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I like Chunky and Kiddy. I want Chunky to be a DK echo with some of his custom moves from 4.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I like Chunky and Kiddy. I want Chunky to be a DK echo with some of his custom moves from 4.
I genuinely like Chunky. I understand why he was ditched as he's "the strong one" and that should be Donkey Kong's role, but he's got a lot of personality and I think he should have at least been used in some of the spinoff games.

I don't care for Kiddy though lol. He served his role well in DKC3 as Donkey Kong-but-not-Donkey Kong so that Dixie had her chance to shine, but he doesn't need to come back.

Top Bottom