• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I've been completely off of the game speculation for a month now. Not that hyped to be honest. The game looks awesome, don't get me wrong, and the developers deserve their credit.

Now if the leak is true and Dixie is not in the base game, I may not be buying a Switch just to play this game. Perhaps if Dixie is announced as DLC, but in general I feel I should move on from gaming.
Yeah, I’m only buying a Switch if either Dixie or Banjo are in. At least one of my longtime three most wanteds finally made it in, K. Rool, but considering I just bought a New Nintendo 3DS XL, I need more incentive than most to buy a Switch hehe.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm surprised most of you don't own Switch's already, I don't get it, do you guys only play Smash and nothing else? I got it back in 2017 for Zelda, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario/Rabbids, and then all the upcoming games like Pokemon, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, etc.

Often kind of surprises me when I hear Smash fans don't actually play the actual Nintendo franchises themselves. I mean obviously nobody likes every Nintendo franchise, I personally don't care for Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem, but all the other core Nintendo franchises I play.

StormC

Smash Hero
The Switch has been Nintendo's best console in years for me. Then again, I'm more inclined to play portable games nowadays than console ones.

I love Smash too much to not buy it, but I did hesitate slightly if this turned out to be a Smash 4 port. Snake, Wolf, and Ridley confirmed my purchase at E3, and K. Rool (with the August Direct in general) turned it into the best 60 bucks I ever spent.

If this leak is real? I dunno man, I might contribute to Sakurai's Patreon or something. Get that man a promotion.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Very few things specifically point towards the anime for inspiration. Many are just, you know, from the games. Meowth doesn’t talk, for example, something that directly contradicts the anime.
Meowth doesn't talk either in Pokémon Yellow or Pokémon Let's Go, something that directly contradicts the anime even though the games were based on the anime.

I've been completely off of the game speculation for a month now. Not that hyped to be honest. The game looks awesome, don't get me wrong, and the developers deserve their credit.

Now if the leak is true and Dixie is not in the base game, I may not be buying a Switch just to play this game. Perhaps if Dixie is announced as DLC, but in general I feel I should move on from gaming.
I feel that way too.

Personally I am running out of Nintendo characters I would get hyped over. Granted, there are still many third-party characters I would get hyped for but Smash is ultimately a Nintendo fighting game so I prioritize Nintendo characters over third-party characters.

Most of the Nintendo characters I ever wanted got in Melee, Brawl, SSB4, or Ultimate. I am still waiting for Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong.

I feel like I am in limbo, waiting for these three to finally get in Smash so I can finally move on from gaming.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Sorry I'm late to the party, and I'm sure this has been said many times already, but... If the 4chan leaker dude is right, as he seems to be with the mural characters, then Dixie was close to making it in, but was cut. And to me, that says she may have started as an echo but was scrapped for being maybe a little too unique and requiring more work than initially thought, not unlike Isabelle.

Also unfortunately, Dixie Kong is simply a lower priority character than Isabelle, both in terms of popularity and importance to Nintendo (and I say this as a huge Dixie fan and as someone who's never played New Leaf). So I could definitely see Dixie being cut, but then having more work put in to make her a semi-clone, and hopefully for DLC. I mean, so far so good in no sign of her showing up as anything else, but we'll see come next Direct.

Hoping for DLC. Dixie's Last Chance.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
To those of you saying after we get Dixie you'll move on from gaming...wut? Why would you move on right after getting something great? That's like waiting at a restaurant for forty minutes then leaving immediately as your food arrives without eating it.

characters who got YEP THAT'S HIM'd.
What does that mean?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
To those of you saying after we get Dixie you'll move on from gaming...wut? Why would you move on right after getting something great? That's like waiting at a restaurant for forty minutes then leaving immediately as your food arrives without eating it.
IKR

"After my favorite character gets into Smash, I can finally move on from video games, one of the most diverse, fulfilling art forms in the history of humankind, because I only play Smash and somehow have no interest in literally any other of the 99.95% of video games out there."

If you're bored of the games you usually play and are only looking forward to Smash, and after that you're "moving on"...maybe you just need to try new games. Interests change and you don't need to leave an entire medium behind.

Dixie would be ashamed

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm surprised most of you don't own Switch's already, I don't get it, do you guys only play Smash and nothing else? I got it back in 2017 for Zelda, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario/Rabbids, and then all the upcoming games like Pokemon, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, etc.

Often kind of surprises me when I hear Smash fans don't actually play the actual Nintendo franchises themselves. I mean obviously nobody likes every Nintendo franchise, I personally don't care for Animal Crossing or Fire Emblem, but all the other core Nintendo franchises I play.
Yeah it surprises me as well. Granted I've been a Smash fan since 64. But at that point I had only played Mario, Mario spin-offs, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon spin-offs. With the rare Kirby game thrown in. It wasn't until Brawl where I did a "history" lesson and went on the Wii VC and bought almost every 1st party release AND bought every major 1st party Nintendo Wii release up until around 2011. I even rented a few 1st party GCN games back in those days as well. I've owned every Nintendo home console since the SNES but I missed out on a lot of classic Nintendo games along the way. With Wii, 3DS, and Wii U VC I was able to "catch up" on a LOT of Nintendo franchises/games I never played as a kid and have become huge fans of almost every Nintendo franchise.

So yeah while it really PAINS me inside to see people CONSTANTLY request 3rd party characters when theirs still some decent C and B teir Nintendo characters to add. I get that the 1st party characters that aren't in Smash already aren't popular enough for the mainstream/casual crowd to care. So naturally they want to go for characters like Sora, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, etc instead of characters like Dixie Kong, Captain Toad, Medusa, DJ Octavio, Skull Kid, Bandana Dee, Paper Mario, etc. Nintendo's long lineage of games/characters/series is both a blessing and a curse. They truely are the "Walt Disney" of gaming. It's a lot to ask of someone to play EVERY Nintendo game and know EVERY Nintendo character. Like I said I'm well versed now but back then all I played was Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. I'm sure there's plenty of people like that nowadays.

Yeah ever since the Wii era I haven't missed a 1st party release since and the only 1st party series I don't care about are Xenoblade and Advance Wars. Every other series I've experienced and enjoyed to various degrees. Switch was actually the first Nintendo console I ever got on launch. I actually own 63 Switch games currently which is the biggest library I've ever owned on a single console (not counting VC releases on Wii/U).

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
^You might enjoy Xenoblade. I'm mostly a Mario, Pokemon, DK, Kirby kind of guy but I tried out XC2 and really liked it.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

switch cost money

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
switch cost money
I wish it didn't cost so much, because it's the best video game console ever, and everyone should have one and see the light.

Hopefully that rumored new Switch version will be cheaper, and possibly more portable. I don't get out of the house too much aside from college, but I still like the Switch's portability because it allows me to curl up in the sofas around my house or in my bed and spend time with my current Switch game, something you can't really do by staring directly at a TV. But obviously being able to theoretically put the Switch in your pocket like with the 3DS would be an immense improvement.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
^You might enjoy Xenoblade. I'm mostly a Mario, Pokemon, DK, Kirby kind of guy but I tried out XC2 and really liked it.
I tried Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and I just couldn't get into it. But then again I'm not a fan of JRPG's and I might as well add MAINLINE Pokemon to the list of Nintendo franchises Idc too much for either. I tried OmegaRuby, X, and Diamond but none of them grabbed me. I'm looking forward to Pokemon Let's Go simply because it's getting rid of the grindy random encounters and I prefer to play games on my TV. So a home console main Pokemon game in HD that gets rid of random battles and goes back to basics seems like the perfect restarting point to me. As a kid the only Pokemon games I played were Snap, Stadium, My Pokemon Ranch, Channel, Battle Revolution, and Pokepark. I enjoyed most of those games. I also own Pokken Tournament DX and think it's "okay".

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There are lots of fun games out there. Nintendo games can be a bit pricey sometimes IMO but there are lots of games on Steam and such that you can play for cheap. Lots of fun experiences out there.

Anyway, if Sakurai decides to #passtheDixiebong, then, I'm not just taking one whiff. I'm taking many. I have never actually used any sort of drugs so I don't know if that actually makes sense, yes I'm a fraud making hashtags for things I don't understand, but the point is Dixie being in Smash would make me all the more happy to play Smash Bros. And I already am super pumped to play Smash Bros. as it is!

I think I will keep feeling the same way even if all my major wants get satisfied.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
True, there will always be a new "biggest request". Dixie just happens to be the biggest for a lot of us, but after we get her, we'll find someone else to pine for. The cycle never ends!

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I mean of course their's characters I still want after Dixie like Captain Toad/Toadette, DJ Octavio, Medusa, Bandana Dee, Cranky Kong (eventually), ARMS rep (preferablly Dr. Coyle), Krystal and Waluigi getting in as DLC somehow, etc.

But what I can honestly say is after Dixie I will be done speculating for GOOD. She really does feel like the last missing piece to the puzzle sorta speak. Yeah I said the same thing once K.Rool was added but having him here with no Dixie does feel a bit hollow. Once Dixie is added I'll probably close my Smashboards account and never return.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
True, there will always be a new "biggest request". Dixie just happens to be the biggest for a lot of us, but after we get her, we'll find someone else to pine for. The cycle never ends!
Within the Donkey Kong franchise alone, I bet Cranky will be the next one, if not the Funkster himself.

I mean of course their's characters I still want after Dixie like Captain Toad/Toadette, DJ Octavio, Medusa, Bandana Dee, Cranky Kong (eventually), ARMS rep (preferablly Dr. Coyle), Krystal and Waluigi getting in as DLC somehow, etc.

But what I can honestly say is after Dixie I will be done speculating for GOOD. She really does feel like the last missing piece to the puzzle sorta speak. Yeah I said the same thing once K.Rool was added but having him here with no Dixie does feel a bit hollow. Once Dixie is added I'll probably close my Smashboards account and never return.
It'll be a pity to see you leave, but I respect your decision. All's needed until then is to pray.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Nintendo just needs to release DK65 with Lanky Kong as a playable character and both Funky and Cranky (sadly) would be BTFO (barreled the F off) by Lanky.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Within the Donkey Kong franchise alone, I bet Cranky will be the next one, if not the Funkster himself.
I can see the memes already: Smash Bros Ultimate NEW FUNKY MODE. Cranky says git gud at smash. The list of memes that would be made out of them being included would be endless.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah seriously, there is so much damn potential in Lanky Kong as a character. He'd be great in Smash, he'd be great in ARMS, he'd be great as a standalone protagonist in his own game, he's just great.

Speaking of other Kongs, I've been thinking about how Echo Fighters would be a great way to preserve custom moves from Smash 4. To use DK as an example, we'd be losing his weird fun specials, so they should bring in Funky as an echo and give him DK's windy specials, since he used to be a pilot. Then we can get Chunky to use the others, and that's all of DK's custom moves preserved!

Now every other character just needs to have 2 Echoes...oof.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Why is lanky the only outcast dk character that people talk about? Tiny and Chunky existed too, ya know.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why is lanky the only outcast dk character that people talk about? Tiny and Chunky existed too, ya know.
He's memed more (and got a bit of attention on the ballot) than Teeny Kong and the Chunkster, so they won't get limelight for the time being. :ohwell:

Which is probably what Chunky would want anyways, he's got stage fright, y'see.

Yeah seriously, there is so much damn potential in Lanky Kong as a character. He'd be great in Smash, he'd be great in ARMS, he'd be great as a standalone protagonist in his own game, he's just great.

Speaking of other Kongs, I've been thinking about how Echo Fighters would be a great way to preserve custom moves from Smash 4. To use DK as an example, we'd be losing his weird fun specials, so they should bring in Funky as an echo and give him DK's windy specials, since he used to be a pilot. Then we can get Chunky to use the others, and that's all of DK's custom moves preserved!

Now every other character just needs to have 2 Echoes...oof.
Or semi-echoes, at the very least. But yeah, as far as the rest of the potential characters go, only the playable Kongs remain (although whether they'd go for Chunky and/or Kiddy is a big question mark for now), then we're golden on that front.

Granted, there's Stanley, but I'm sure he'd get his own icon anyway.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Because, and I hate to go all Simon Cowell on you, Lanky 's got the "it" factor.

Tiny and Chunky do not to the same extent.

Lanky could win Britain's Got Talent.

Tiny and Chunky would make it on TV so the judges could laugh at them. (At, not with, as Lanky could achieve)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Because, and I hate to go all Simon Cowell on you, Lanky 's got the "it" factor.

Tiny and Chunky do not to the same extent.

Lanky could win Britain's Got Talent.

Tiny and Chunky would make it on TV so the judges could laugh at them. (At, not with, as Lanky could achieve)
I still don’t get what the big deal is about lanky. He’s just a one-off like the other two, and honestly still isn’t nearly as cool (or important to the franchise) as ‘git gud’ Cranky, or surfer-dude funky.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I love all the DK64 Kongs but sadly I have no desire to see any of them playable in Smash. Especially Tiny if they use her modern redesign. Yuck.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
At least Lanky was referenced in the Tropical Freeze manual, however, Tiny was referenced in Super Mario Odyssey. Hopefully both and Chunky return.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't care for any of the other Kong's after DK/Diddy/Dixie and Cranky/Funky.

Kiddie/Tiny/Chunky/Lanky/Swanky, etc...could never appear in any DK game again, and honestly they probably won't. Even Candy likely won't ever return.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don't care for any of the other Kong's after DK/Diddy/Dixie and Cranky/Funky.

Kiddie/Tiny/Chunky/Lanky/Swanky, etc...could never appear in any DK game again, and honestly they probably won't. Even Candy likely won't ever return.
Unless of course we got a faithful remastering of the original game, featuring candy and swanky.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
I know others have responded to this but I also think that Lanky was the only truly original Kong added in that game. Tiny and Chunky were just offshoots of Dixie and Kiddy to an extent. Not a straight Copy/Paste of course but Lanky deviated the most out of all of the Kongs.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think it was in the records. There was a screenshot in the manul about the time trial records and each time trial record was held by a different Kong. I think, there were references to Tiny Kong and Wrinkly Kong, too.

Oh, oops, not Wrinkly Kong. It's Candy Kong.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I bought a switch last year when there were only 2 1/2 (3 1/2) games I was interested in. Being, Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and a half interest in Splatoon 2 along with the inevitable announcement of Smash for Switch. At first I regretted buying the switch because the game library was a bit lacking, but gotta admit after this past year the system really grew on me. I play it more than my PS4 now.

To those that only want a switch to play smash.... I encourage you to branch out a bit.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Looks like Nintendo ranked them from most important to least important. Still cool Retro is aware they exist and could potentially return in a future game down the road.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Lanky and Tiny are more important than Candy.

Lanky also has more meme power than Funky, time to face reality Funky fans.

And everyone is in Dixie's shadow.

Top Bottom