• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dispute Ended: New Sakurai intervew - Wavedashing was intentional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You people are so thick, its hilarious. This is why I don't bother arguing about Wavedashing; might as well try to convince a 40-year-old that santa still exists.
Yeah, I'm beginning to agree there...whatever you think about Wavedashing, no matter how reasonable an argument you present, the people that are stubborn and stand by their beliefs aren't going to back down, no matter how stupid it is to stand by their opinion.

Plethorix

Smash Rookie
Gullible?

@ OP:

Just because a dev says something does not instantly make it true. People lie to cover up their mistakes, this may be one of those instances.

What this boils down to is the big Melee-vs-Brawl debate. Some people (one of which I'm guessing is you) prefer Melee, others prefer Brawl.

The fact that is hard to deny is that WaveDashing was not discovered and fully developed until YEARS after the game's release. WaveDashing is one of those things that most people wouldn't even notice if they weren't actually trying to do it or had heard of it before. I find it funny that Sakurai and his team already knew of WDing well before the ability was developed by players, and even before the game was released.

Really, it boils down to him lying, and having not known; knowing of the actual WD effect but not how to use it (grab edges, reduce lag, etc); or him being omniescient and instantly knowing everything about the game (which we know is not true). Do you think Snake's mortar slides were intentional? What about Lucas' Zap jump and Waveland? What about longjumping in Mario 64?

Creating glitch-free games doesn't happen. Melee is not an exception.

IMO, Melee and Brawl are both great games. I play them both. The moves in Brawl register faster, it's floatier, it's much harder to combo and punish, and kills happen slower. In Melee, players move faster, combos are easier, and gravity is much more intense. In my opinion, Melee plays faster, but Brawl requires more strategy where Melee requires quicker thinking.

If playing Melee with items off on Final Destination, while only using the top-tier characters is your game, so be it. What bugs me is when the elitist come up with twisted and choked evidence and justifications for their methods (like this thread).

Go ahead, keep on WDing with your Marth, Sheik, Falco and Fox. I, among most others couldn't care less what you do with your free time. Just don't go over the top with threads like this.

(I know how old this thread is. Couldn't help myself)

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Can't argue against that.

Nice bump.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Plethorix. There is nothing in the thread that signifies it being a melee vs brawl debate. This was a thread questioning the inclusion of certain features in a new software. Basically what you did is bump and year old thread because you wanted to put your own input on melee vs brawl. Why did you do it? Because it's against forum rules to start new topics debating and comparing the two games. I've never seen that side to the agument before though. Nice job.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ohhhh...what the heck.

The fact that is hard to deny is that WaveDashing was not discovered and fully developed until YEARS after the game's release. WaveDashing is one of those things that most people wouldn't even notice if they weren't actually trying to do it or had heard of it before. I find it funny that Sakurai and his team already knew of WDing well before the ability was developed by players, and even before the game was released.
Excuse my probably flawed logic on this situation, but don't you think that maybe the people who created the game; the people who decided frame data, the physics, the hitstun, the airdodge, the characters, the movesets, the stages, the game modes, the EVERYTHING know much, much more then you or I did when the game was first released? (or even a few years after we had played the game?) The concept of the WD isn't exactly something that is hard to imagine, you hit the ground and right before you do, you hit the L/R button, which gives you momentum in any direction you input, thus making the WD. This isn't super complicated, it isn't something that you can't grasp your mind around when hearing it. I think it would be safe to say they did know about it. I know that he doesn't know everything in the game, that's perfectly understandable, but why wouldn't he know about WD'ing? There isn't any proof that I or you can really present unless we knew Sakurai and asked him, and he still probably wouldn't tell us unless we were his best freind. All I'm saying is that I think that WDing could of been an exception, I'm sure other ATs like L-canceling were known about as well.

I respect your take on it though, and we can only just guess at what he really knows about it etc. Not one is 100% right, (meaning we know for sure) and there really isn't anything we can do about that.

For all future people reading this; Straked, flame, Plethorix and I are bad kids (:(), don't bump this thread anymore. If you really want to state your opinion, make a blog or something.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I remember this thread lol

Plethorix. Sakurai COULD'VE lied, but you can't prove he is lying. Therefore, what he says is true until proven otherwise. Don't make claims without support.

As of this interview, the whole "WD is a glitch" thing should've truly died, but people are stupid so we will continue seeing it posted in places. Unless you can prove he's lying, your "he's lying" has no merit.

And yeah, super necro.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
What this boils down to is the big Melee-vs-Brawl debate. Some people (one of which I'm guessing is you) prefer Melee, others prefer Brawl.

What bugs me is when the elitist come up with twisted and choked evidence and justifications for their methods (like this thread).

Go ahead, keep on WDing with your Marth, Sheik, Falco and Fox. I, among most others couldn't care less what you do with your free time. Just don't go over the top with threads like this.
rofl, yes, we are clearly the elitists here. snide comments and all!

and it's also quite clear that utilizing advanced techniques if they're glitches or exploits or whatever equates to being what boils down to be a "cheater." btw whenever i see someone infiniting in mvc2 i go in a rage because that's unfair and cheating. just because you found a combination of moves that the developers didn't intend to infinite doesn't mean it's not cheating or exploiting the game and should be made illegal. you should be arrested for using anything beyond a basic magic combo. Whenever I see people using the knife to shorten their reload times in CS i feel that they should be locked up in a camp with all their knife hacking friends!

Anyway, jokes aside, I find it moronic that nintendo wants to go for quick, easy sales and completely alienate their hardcore audience. some of us still play melee after 8 years and new people are still picking it up because of the depth and learning curve. sakurai doesn't want people to be rewarded with dedication and support, though. i get him. he's like this guy and crimson echoes. it's all about sales!

Also, if you really look at it in depth, wavedashing is in concordance with the physics engine.
air dodge ==> falling animation
landing while in falling animation ==> landing animation
so you're landing with forced momentum near the ground. you'd slide.
it could have easily been prevented with a special landing animation, but who knows.
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/342.html

n88

Smash Lord
The exact wording was"Of course, we noticed that you could do that...". That doesn't necessarily make it intentional. Maybe they just didn't bother to fix it.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
The exact wording was"Of course, we noticed that you could do that...". That doesn't necessarily make it intentional. Maybe they just didn't bother to fix it.
Glitches are anything that was found in a released game that's unintended. They knew about WDing pre-release and left it alone (and again left it alone for PAL Melee). Heck in Brawl, hacking in Melee's airdodge gives back wavedashing.

Point is, it's not a glitch. They saw it and intended it to be in all releases of Melee.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Necro thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom