• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

SonicMario

Smash Master
https://youtu.be/9NTjMc9cV_s
(Will be a matter of time before the ninjas strike this videoj
Please pardon me for double posting. But I felt it was important enough to mention that I skipped ahead to see all the vs. matches and when Characters were unlocked. In the stream 19 vs. matches were played and a total of 9 characters were unlocked beginning with Inkling noticably unlocked at 10 Vs. amtches. Which may lead to indeed the margin being an average of 2 per character.

Though what's strange is the actual margin I found in this vid. Increments might also be kind of random on it's own. Though so far no more then 4 vs. matches. Here's what I saw:

Inkling after 10
Villager after 14
16 (Streamer lost in the Vs. match)
Marth after 17
Young Link after 19
Wii Fit Trainer after 21
Ice Climbers after 24
Captain Falcon after 25
Peach after 27
28 (Streamer lost in the vs. match)
Ryu after 29

If I made any slight errors I can't be seeing the entire 2 hour vid I just skipped ahead to end result of matches. But hopefully this helps at seeing the rate of characters via the Vs. Match method. At 9 characters in 19 matches though that's a pretty fast rate. Actually even before Inkling they had Ness, Bowser, and Zelda unlocked. So that's 12 characters in 29 matches. So via the Vs. match method you should have nearly all the characters by the time you get to 150 vs. matches if you want the fastest method.

I'm still going to go for Classic. But Vs. match definitely seems decently fast. And if winning the match is important just SD with a human 2nd player in a 1-on-1. (I don't know if it will matter like that but just in case)

Last edited:

ProudNintendofan

Smash Apprentice
So hold on.... if
"Cloud isn't in World of Light"]
, how are we supposed to unlock him?

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
If you really want to go through VS. matches fast, just play 1 stock matches against a CPU on Final Destination with the CPU damage set to 300 and launch rate set at 2.0.

Nothing is as simple as that. My winning percentage in this situation is pretty high.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Some news on the Vs. Match method

There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet

It apparently takes 350 1 on 1 matches with the CPU to get them all.

However, having more controllers active in a match speeds up the process. So if you truly want them all ASAP. Just make the other 3-7 controllers SD

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Check it out

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...KgEpjgU3jXL1FYk/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

They are doing some info on finding character unlocks and who you have to beat clsssic mode with

So characters you can 7nlock first are

:ultmario: for :ultsonic: (nice rivalry reference)

:ultkirby: For :ultness:

:ultfox: For :ultfalcon:

:ultpikachu: For :ultshulk:

:ultlink: For :ultkrool:

:ultdk: For :ultpokemontrainer:

:ultsamus: For :ultinkling:
how many people have been contributing to this info?

idk i would have thought the classic unlocks would for the most part make some sense of who gets who but a lot of them seem really out there in my opinion, is it possible each save or game randomizes who gets who in classic when you first boot up and just sticks to that?

Last edited:

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
So with the 350 matches, would 5 player matches make it go 5 times faster or is it a different curve? My friends and I are getting our joy-cons and GC controllers ready lol

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
So with the 350 matches, would 5 player matches make it go 5 times faster or is it a different curve? My friends and I are getting our joy-cons and GC controllers ready lol
Do we need 350 matches to unlock all characters?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I did some digging around on Twitter and found some useful info.

So VS. mode matches have a 10 minute cool down timer on unlocking characters but you can bypass this timer by closing the game and reopening it which resets the timer which should make the process much quicker. WoL and Classic are not affected by the timer.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces

So VS. mode matches have a 10 minute cool down timer on unlocking characters but you can bypass this timer by closing the game and reopening it which resets the timer which should make the process much quicker. WoL and Classic are not affected by the timer.
When you say it bypasses the timer, since there are "unlocks every fight", does that mean as soon as you close it and open it. the very next match you play you'll unlock someone new?

Just confused because this info seems to contradict the 350 matches info? I mean if you did 350 matches, you might not necessarily unlock every character if you did all 350 matches in less than (10 mins X 75 characters = 750) minutes.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice

Do we really need 750mins to unlock all characters?
That's not a few hrs......

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the more i hear about how to unlock characters to more annoyed i get, i liked unlocking characters but i like starting off the game by trying out newcomers and now its sounding like im not going to be able to unlock characters in the order i want and do classic mode in the order i want

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's not 75, only 67 characters to unlock. (Starting with 8 already unlocked)

Let's say if you play with 2/3/4 controllers it's half the time (every 5mins you unluck a character).
I plan to invite friends over day 1.

Our rules are usually 3 stocks, items on, 5min timer, random stage (please Custom Random be a thing)
We usually finish in 3-4min, so we won't do an unlock per fight but one every 2 fights, so every 7minutes approximately.
Count 1 min to beat the challenger, so 8min total.

8*65 = 520min = 8h40min.
Let's say we start at 9p.m.
We probably won't last till 4.40a.m, but if we don't do it on the 7th (Friday after work is hard for a full night) but start at 5p.m on Saturday, we take a one hour diner break, all characters are unlocked by 2.40a.m. on Sunday.

Works for me.

Plus, if we wait till Saturday afternoon, I can unbox and start WoL by myself on Friday, play 2-3h, unlock 10-15 characters, then play 2-3h Saturday morning, unlock 10-15 more, that will be only 35-45 characters remaining for the party.
Let's say 40. So 320min = 5h20min.
All characters will be unlocked before midnight on Saturday.

Sweet !

PS : I talk about Custom Random because that was amazing in Brawl (didn't own Sm4sh), you could play random but remove 75m and Hanenbow.
MyMusic is also awesome, I want to have different musics per stage, but I do enjoy some more than others.
I wish we had the same thing for Random Character : Customize the frequency of each character appearing when you select Random (customize it per Username, plus one for Bots maybe ?), and also customize the frequency of each specific alt for each fighter. Let's say I play only random but when playing Corrin I want only female Corrin. Or I have a favorite Koopaling. Etc, etc.
This is the option I would add to smash if I had one choice.

I am, after all, a Random Main.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
You can buy music tracks at an in-game shop.
Don't know if CDs will pop as in the old games though.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
You don’t need all of the controllers to self destruct. Just put yourself in your own team against all of the other controllers, one stock, then SD yourself and that’s it. That’s what I’m gonna do if more players=faster unlocks.

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
Why more controllers unlock faster ?

Also how work the shop for CDs ?

PF9

Smash Lord

Armed with this info, I will use specific characters for each unlock battle in most cases (mostly related characters by series or whatnot)

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
honestly love the way this is ordered. its scrammbled and theres so many ways to unlock characters. sounds weird but i honest to god love that no one will have the same characters being unlocked by order

HeavenWolfHD

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavenWolfHD
3DS FC
5155-4164-9910
I see a video where it saids that you can (not 100% sure) do a 1 Stock fight where you SD, unlock your character then quit Smash Ultimate then re-open the game and it will reset the 10 minutes timer (or somethings like that)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Oops. I was viewing the wrong page.

A fighter per match sounds pretty good.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Anyone else kind of worried the launch update will get rid of the cooldown reset?

Top Bottom