• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: The Process of Unlocking Characters and Other Content

Do you like the unlock process in past games?

• YES! I love spacing out the reveals!

Votes: 256 54.7%
  • I don't mind it. It's neat once.

Votes: 114 24.4%
  • I'm not a fan. I try to complete it quickly.

Votes: 48 10.3%
  • NO! Just lemme play the game!

Votes: 50 10.7%

• Total voters

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, I need to play enough World of Light to unlock Marth. Then use him to beat Classsic to get Ryu. And then I can get Ridley?

****, I wish he was just as easy as King K Rool is, but not having every major villain unlock at the end of the main character’s Classic seems like a missed logical opportunity.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
So, I need to play enough World of Light to unlock Marth. Then use him to beat Classsic to get Ryu. And then I can get Ridley?

****, I wish he was just as easy as King K Rool is, but not having every major villain unlock at the end of the main character’s Classic seems like a missed logical opportunity.
Actually, it’s Lucina that you need to get Ridley, not Ryu. Marth unlocks Ryu as well as Lucina.

I do agree with you about not getting Ridley as quickly as K.Rool but it’s still pretty simple if you ask me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Actually, it’s Lucina that you need to get Ridley, not Ryu. Marth unlocks Ryu as well as Lucina.

I do agree with you about not getting Ridley as quickly as K.Rool but it’s still pretty simple if you ask me.
Ah gotcha. I was trying to read the document and messed up linking charscters together.

I don’t know if I like how seemingly random unlocks are for this game. Like I can understand the random battles amounting to certain characters, but the pairings for classic just don’t make any sense to me that doesn’t fit with the whole specifically curated nature of the Classic modes...

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I see a video where it saids that you can (not 100% sure) do a 1 Stock fight where you SD, unlock your character then quit Smash Ultimate then re-open the game and it will reset the 10 minutes timer (or somethings like that)
So we have to do "fight--->unlock--->restart game" cycle over and over until we got all characters. Right?

I see a video where it saids that you can (not 100% sure) do a 1 Stock fight where you SD, unlock your character then quit Smash Ultimate then re-open the game and it will reset the 10 minutes timer (or somethings like that)
OMG....

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Guys Marth is the second character you can find in world of light

You choose one of three paths after the One you get Mario and that’s only 3 battles to get to Mario.

Marth can be the 5th fight in world of light

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Ah gotcha. I was trying to read the document and messed up linking charscters together.

I don’t know if I like how seemingly random unlocks are for this game. Like I can understand the random battles amounting to certain characters, but the pairings for classic just don’t make any sense to me that doesn’t fit with the whole specifically curated nature of the Classic modes...
This reminds me of Melee, and even brawl, when classic unlocks made actual sense.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
If no changes are implied, then I will restart to unlock full characters as soon as possible.
How about you?
I plan to unlock Ridley and K. Rool through Classic mode and then use them to unlock the rest of the roster through VS. mode.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I plan to unlock Ridley and K. Rool through Classic mode and then use them to unlock the rest of the roster through VS. mode.
Through self-destruct?

My plan : Grab any characters and do self-destruct and unlock characters and restart and repeat, until I unlock all characters.

Craft_Mesa

Smash Rookie
My plan is to clear difficulty 1 classic mode as Pikachu to get Shulk, then wipe through the rest of the game,

I'd best get gud with Pikachu

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, so I'm trying to compile a complete map of every single Priority Unlock in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. So far, this is what appears to be the characters we are meant to unlock first:

4e. Dark Samus: Complete Classic Mode as Samus
10. Ness: Either Complete Classic Mode as Kirby, or play Smash for 10 minutes
11. Captain Falcon: Complete Classic Mode as Fox
16. Sheik: Unlock in World of Light
17. Zelda: Play Smash for 10 minutes after unlocking Ness
21. Marth: Unlock in World of Light
33-35. Pokémon Trainer: Complete Classic Mode as Donkey Kong or Bowser...more on the latter shortly.
38. Sonic: Complete Classic Mode as Mario
41. Lucario: Complete Classic Mode as Yoshi
45. Villager: Unlock in World of Light, or by clearing Classic Mode as Pikachu (after unlocking Shulk).
57. Shulk: Complete Classic Mode as Pikachu
67. King K. Rool: Complete Classic Mode as Link

And a bonus couple for those of you who decide to create three Save Files in World of Light just to unlock Marth, Sheik, and Villager right away....

14. Bowser: Play Smash for 10 minutes after unlocking Zelda
28. Pit: Play Smash for 10 minutes after unlocking Bowser
64. Inkling: Play Smash for 10 minutes after unlocking Pit, or by clearing Classic mode as Samus (after unlocking Dark Samus).

I must warn, however, that unlocking a character via Classic Mode will automatically reset the 10 minute counter, as the Classic Mode unlocks automatically supersedes the 10 minute counter itself. However, due to the fact that the character unlocks in World of Light are technically treated as Spirit Battles, unlocking characters in World of Light does not override the 10 minute timer.

Meaning a good way to run out the 10-minute timer is to play World of Light 10 minutes at a time, and then quitting out of it. But if you play Classic Mode for 10 minutes, any character you unlock playing the mode automatically overrides the timer. Meaning it's going to take a lot longer unlocking characters like Zelda, Bowser, and Pit than it otherwise would if you just fart around for a bit.

Anybody who wants a quick road map to unlocking their favorite characters, please let me know. Some characters do seem like low priority characters, so no matter what you do, expect them to take a while to unlock. They're mostly the old school reps and third party characters though (with Ice Climbers, Sonic, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta as exceptions). But do note too that Luigi, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Meta Knight, and Palutena will all take a while to unlock regardless. Though I'm still in the middle of doing research.

What I do know is that if you complete Classic Mode 63 times, you will unlock all 63 fighters. Maybe it be 63 times with a single fighter or with 63 different fighters, everybody will get unlocked eventually.

Ultimate is being released everywhere on the same day(Dec 7) so the info will be known everywhere it's sold at that time.
Time zones.

King K. Rool: Complete Classic Mode as Link.
Ridley: Unlock Marth in World of Light. Then you complete Classic Mode as Marth and hope to unlock Lucina. Otherwise, repeat as necessary. Then, once you complete Classic Mode as Lucina, then you get Ridley.

I'd say Ridley's unlock speed is just a tad longer than Cloud's.

Edit: Thought the comment section got updated, so I accidentally double-posted. Not sure how to delete the comment and copy it over to my previous comment.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Time zones.

King K. Rool: Complete Classic Mode as Link.
Ridley: Unlock Marth in World of Light. Then you complete Classic Mode as Marth and hope to unlock Lucina. Otherwise, repeat as necessary. Then, once you complete Classic Mode as Lucina, then you get Ridley.

I'd say Ridley's unlock speed is just a tad longer than Cloud's.
Yup, that’s exactly my plan. Ridley’s unlock speed seems decently quick to me. Of course there is the chance I could unlock Ryu instead of Lucina with Marth but it’s not bad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay. Sorry.

Sorry again... I posted consecutive again... I don't know how to delete my post...

I hope day 1 patch will fix this, so we don't need to restart.....
You can also ask for a merge by editing the post or reporting your own post. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
is the order you unlock characters through vs matches random or is there an actual order?

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
So glad to know I can get Sonic and Zelda very early. I know what I'm doing the first hour I have the game - Versus for 20 minutes then Mario's Classic mode.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So glad to know I can get Sonic and Zelda very early. I know what I'm doing the first hour I have the game - Versus for 20 minutes then Mario's Classic mode.
Wait do you know which character gets Zelda in classic?

Because I believe Zelda is in the dark map of world of light.

Edit: nvm she’s the second one in vs mode

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wait another question. Are the character unlocks tied to timer resets through vs. also influenced by the characters you unlock in other modes?

So if I unlock King K Rool with Link’s classic mode, can I immediately go to VS and play a match to unlock another character?

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Lol it's all good. I was just about to tell you before I saw your edit

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Wait do you know which character gets Zelda in classic?

Because I believe Zelda is in the dark map of world of light.

Edit: nvm she’s the second one in vs mode
Lol it's all good. I was about to say that before I saw your edit

Ignore the first reply. Didn't know how to quote a message in a post. Full-on newb on the site lol

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
New info regarding unlocking characters.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Looks like Sakurai is fed up with the loop hole of getting everybody the vs way.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Looks like Sakurai is fed up with the loop hole of getting everybody the vs way.
Yup, at least it shouldn’t get in the way of my plans to get Ridley and K.Rool through Classic mode. The distance mechanic is probably only noticeable in VS despite affecting all game modes.

I had a bit of a rant about this on the general thread but now I’ve calmed down and began to think rationally on this more.

BigMac1304

Smash Apprentice
Just complete Classic w/ Mario, unlock Sonic afterwards, and do an 8 player match as you run run run!

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
What is "certain amount of distance before X character can appear."? Do we must run across stage before self-destruction?

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
I will need a "how to unlock fighters" list to not unlock them.
When I playing the AllStar Mode with the first 8 than I will play it through with all available fighters. In previous games this was enough to get the reward for AllStar Mode in the Challenges. :D
In Smash 4 it will take some more time, if you have installed the DLC fighters.

Top Bottom