• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Disciples of Dark Samus

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The problem is that there aren't any good Dark Samus players, or if their are, they haven't been seen. Check this out, though. Samus looks good! Also, z-air doesn't look Meleefied!

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The problem is that there aren't any good Dark Samus players, or if their are, they haven't been seen. Check this out, though. Samus looks good! Also, z-air doesn't look Meleefied!

Most Dark Samus gameplay I've seen so far are free-for-alls...Good or not its hard to get a good impression on the character when there's just pure chaos the entire time.

I remember watching this match though, first of all Samus new look for her Dark suit looks really good in game I have to say. She does seem to be a lot better than people give her credit for considering everyone's saying she's bottom tier so far. But that's still first impressions as not everyone has had the chance to play the game yet.

Shog

Smash Ace
So, Pikachu in that video looks kinda ridiculous... reminds me of Pikachu 64 for some reason (not the animations, god no, but rather the swiftness of her moves)

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
On Saturday, I waited in line for three hours to play the game at the Switch Holiday Experience or whatever. I got two 2.5 minute games. The first game, I played as Dark Samus.

The whole game was a blur. I played with three of my friends, but the stage selection was random, and we got two small stages (Smashville and Dracula's Castle, which was smaller than I expected). Items were turned onto maximum frequency. You couldn't walk a foot without there being one, it was insane. I couldn't sit still for a second without getting hit or needing to evade something. I get that they do it to benefit players who aren't that great at the game, and to make the game seem crazier and more fun to onlookers, but my friends and I all agreed that it was pretty annoying.

The Final Smash meter was something I was excited for, but I felt that it built up way too fast. For a four-player match, there were too many instances of them popping off. I hope we can control the rate it builds, but I don't recall seeing that option, which could put a damper on things.

So unfortunately, I didn't come away with any observations on Dark Samus. I was so focused on staying alive (and failing) that I couldn't get a feel for her.

The next game, though, I played Ridley, and he was a lot of fun. It was still chaotic, but I managed to at least get some kills. Couldn't land his Side-B or Down-B, which was disappointing, but I did win that game at least.

Also, both games I got my Final Smash off right at the end, but the countdown didn't stop, so the KO's didn't count. :|

I might go back this weekend or next once the line has died down and see if I can try Dark Samus and Samus back to back to feel for any differences. That, or once Best Buy releases a demo of the game, I can go there for a more private and unattended look and get some even better evaluations.

Most Dark Samus gameplay I've seen so far are free-for-alls...Good or not its hard to get a good impression on the character when there's just pure chaos the entire time.

I remember watching this match though, first of all Samus new look for her Dark suit looks really good in game I have to say. She does seem to be a lot better than people give her credit for considering everyone's saying she's bottom tier so far. But that's still first impressions as not everyone has had the chance to play the game yet.
I think Ridley has the same issue where most of the players that play him just don't know how to use him yet. Same with Dark Samus, because not many players know how to use Samus, even. Once the game is out and people can practice and learn characters, we'll see just how good or bad the situation is.

Also, getting games without items and FS meter will help, too. I don't mind items and stuff, unlike a lot of people, but obviously they don't help analysis.

So, Pikachu in that video looks kinda ridiculous... reminds me of Pikachu 64 for some reason (not the animations, god no, but rather the swiftness of her moves)
Pikachu is looking to be the best character in the game, so the comparison to Pikachu 64 is apt. I'm sure the game's balance in 6 months will be drastically different to what it is now, so I'm not too concerned about that. I just care about characters being fun to play.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Dark Samus gets far just with the "cool factor" I think, even among those who haven't necessarily played Prime 2 or 3. Richter has the benefit of being the only echo that's based on a new character, so it's natural he'd be the most popular.

Can anyone give an educated opinion on missiles? From what I've seen, they generally seem to be better than in 4.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dark Samus gets far just with the "cool factor" I think, even among those who haven't necessarily played Prime 2 or 3. Richter has the benefit of being the only echo that's based on a new character, so it's natural he'd be the most popular.

Can anyone give an educated opinion on missiles? From what I've seen, they generally seem to be better than in 4.
Well, the normal missiles primarily benefit indirectly from system changes, namely the more restricted airdodges making avoiding them more risky, and super missile stalling plus reworked powershielding means people can't just run up and shield them like before.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
It's hard to tell from the footage I've seen about how useful missiles are.
SM definitely *looks* designed to be a combo tool, both with the sputtering startup and in how you can run after it. It's guaranteed the SM->CS is still true combo. I'm hoping the huge +2 damage means it outright beats more projectiles.
Missiles themselves, they don't seem to have any better homing properties and the end-lag appears to be the same. Mechanical changes are very significant as MeleeBrawler duly points out but if we're still in a ~60 FAF vs ~45 FAF for everyone else you can't win a zoning war.
Young link's arrows look like they're ~35 FAF, but that's just my guesstimate, so winning the zoning wars is likely not in the cards.
It's the First Actionable Frame that's live or die. Everything else, like crappy hitbox, poor priority, poor tracking, poor speed, poor hitstun, poor combo ability (all of which Smash 4 missile had) is much lower on the list. They weren't safe on hit in Smash 4 let alone block.

Pet peeve: It still irritates me to no end how Sakurai loves to demonstrate a new fighter by how easily they avoid missiles, particularly SM.
Drives me @%$& nuts. Bayo can slide under them, Cloud can slide under them, oh look holy cross beats them, whip beats them, etc... He does this every game as part of his unconscious (or conscious) bias. You'll never see him design an arcing move that is *designed* to avoid pikachu's thunder jolt, mario fireball, loid rocket, ROB laser, etc... Nope. It's always showcased as how it beats Samus's missiles. He could have shown Simon's whip beating a Mario fireball. Nope.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's hard to tell from the footage I've seen about how useful missiles are.
SM definitely *looks* designed to be a combo tool, both with the sputtering startup and in how you can run after it. It's guaranteed the SM->CS is still true combo. I'm hoping the huge +2 damage means it outright beats more projectiles.
Missiles themselves, they don't seem to have any better homing properties and the end-lag appears to be the same. Mechanical changes are very significant as MeleeBrawler duly points out but if we're still in a ~60 FAF vs ~45 FAF for everyone else you can't win a zoning war.
Young link's arrows look like they're ~35 FAF, but that's just my guesstimate, so winning the zoning wars is likely not in the cards.
It's the First Actionable Frame that's live or die. Everything else, like crappy hitbox, poor priority, poor tracking, poor speed, poor hitstun, poor combo ability (all of which Smash 4 missile had) is much lower on the list. They weren't safe on hit in Smash 4 let alone block.

Pet peeve: It still irritates me to no end how Sakurai loves to demonstrate a new fighter by how easily they avoid missiles, particularly SM.
Drives me @%$& nuts. Bayo can slide under them, Cloud can slide under them, oh look holy cross beats them, whip beats them, etc... He does this every game as part of his unconscious (or conscious) bias. You'll never see him design an arcing move that is *designed* to avoid pikachu's thunder jolt, mario fireball, loid rocket, ROB laser, etc... Nope. It's always showcased as how it beats Samus's missiles. He could have shown Simon's whip beating a Mario fireball. Nope.
Lower lag on partial charge shots (which cover more space than missiles do) is how Samus wins projectile battles in this game, if not the war.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here's a half hour of the empowered one!

First match is a good one since it shows off all three of her taunts and her last victory pose in better quality...Also a better look at some more of her alts, the Green alt actually looks pretty decent as we see in the second team match.

Another thing I noticed, her star KO makes the same sound effect as Samus, which I feel she'd make more of a painful screech like the creature she is, when you damage her in the Primes she makes this demented cry of pain. Adding this (as well as her iconic laugh) would've given so much more to her as a character in the game since it shows off more about her personality and character.

Also she seems to have quite a bit of aerial mobility, I noticed in the first match after she grabbed the laser item, she jumped almost all the way across the duck hunt stage. She may have better air speed than Samus. One of the differences noted by Nintendo was that she's 'floatier than Samus' which based off of my impressions here may be more than just her animations. Though I'll have to review more Samus footage to compare how she 'floats' in comparison cuz Samus herself is also pretty floaty.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's a half hour of the empowered one!

First match is a good one since it shows off all three of her taunts and her last victory pose in better quality...Also a better look at some more of her alts, the Green alt actually looks pretty decent as we see in the second team match.

Another thing I noticed, her star KO makes the same sound effect as Samus, which I feel she'd make more of a painful screech like the creature she is, when you damage her in the Primes she makes this demented cry of pain. Adding this (as well as her iconic laugh) would've given so much more to her as a character in the game since it shows off more about her personality and character.

Also she seems to have quite a bit of aerial mobility, I noticed in the first match after she grabbed the laser item, she jumped almost all the way across the duck hunt stage. She may have better air speed than Samus. One of the differences noted by Nintendo was that she's 'floatier than Samus' which based off of my impressions here may be more than just her animations. Though I'll have to review more Samus footage to compare how she 'floats' in comparison cuz Samus herself is also pretty floaty.
If this really is Dark Samus as she appears in Prime 3... then maybe she's just so powerful that nothing other than Phazon itself can even really hurt her anymore. We never get to see this in practice, but it's plausible. Heck, in the final battle of Echoes she eventually just stops taking damage from all other weapons altogether. In Smash she can get knocked around, but perhaps she doesn't actually feel pain, which on top of already being the more stoic and soft-spoken person she is in Corruption, gives her no real reason to speak.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Because the bottom line is that there will be changes between what we're seeing now and when the game releases. They got feedback from players at E3, so that gives the team a little less than 6 months to adjust the game based on that alone. Samus's dash attack could be reverted to how it was in Smash 4 if they take ESAM's feedback to heart, for example. By extension that could affect Dark Samus as well. The only question is just how different will the final game be from the E3 build.
So it's really looking like Samus' dash attack is still going to be trash at launch. I was so incredibly excited for Dark Samus, even if the roll wasn't better, but this nerf is killing all the mojo.

The one silver lining here is that they may release the first balance patch alongside Piranha Plant and overcompensate for how bad she'll be a launch with even more buffs than were were hoping for coming into Ultimate.

In the meantime, I'll just try to compare Ultimate Samus to Melee Samus and imagine she's better overall simply by virtue of not being Brawl Samus...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So it's really looking like Samus' dash attack is still going to be trash at launch. I was so incredibly excited for Dark Samus, even if the roll wasn't better, but this nerf is killing all the mojo.

The one silver lining here is that they may release the first balance patch alongside Piranha Plant and overcompensate for how bad she'll be a launch with even more buffs than were were hoping for coming into Ultimate.

In the meantime, I'll just try to compare Ultimate Samus to Melee Samus and imagine she's better overall simply by virtue of not being Brawl Samus...
If you pay attention to the buffs she actually did get coming into Ultimate, and look at the trend of changes for most other characters, the dash attack nerf seems very deliberate and we shouldn't expect nor hope for that kind of band-aid fix. She isn't a combo monster because that's what ZSS is and regular Samus compensates with power, and regardless of what people may believe, her projectile game will never be versatile enough to work on it's own (even going from source material), without making it busted anyway. Samus works best as a jack-of-all trades using all of her tools to their fullest potential. But that's not what people are doing, they're just holding onto Smash 4 memories and expecting all tools except dash attack and Charge Shot to be useless just because there hasn't been grand, sweeping changes to her moveset.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If you pay attention to the buffs she actually did get coming into Ultimate, and look at the trend of changes for most other characters, the dash attack nerf seems very deliberate and we shouldn't expect nor hope for that kind of band-aid fix. She isn't a combo monster because that's what ZSS is and regular Samus compensates with power, and regardless of what people may believe, her projectile game will never be versatile enough to work on it's own (even going from source material), without making it busted anyway. Samus works best as a jack-of-all trades using all of her tools to their fullest potential. But that's not what people are doing, they're just holding onto Smash 4 memories and expecting all tools except dash attack and Charge Shot to be useless just because there hasn't been grand, sweeping changes to her moveset.
And hell, even though Dash attack lost its combo ability, it's now able to kill at high percents

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
And hell, even though Dash attack lost its combo ability, it's now able to kill at high percents
OK that's a bit reassuring.
In my mind I was thinking "Can no longer combo off of dash attack" actually meant "Can no longer combo at all". At least down throw can still start combos, and her grabs and throws are better all around. Her combos were just another tool in her varied kit to help deal with different types of opponents.

In Sm4sh, I wasn't really any good with Samus until after that 1.15 patch buff, but even then it wasn't until I learned to use all of her different moves that I could keep up with top tiers like Sonic, Mario, Cloud and Bayo. So that's definitely true.
Mixing up missiles, charge shot, down tilt, Uair, Nair, and making the opponent guess between me using dash attack or dash grab let me compete both up close and from a distance.
I still didn't see enough buffs in these areas to compensate for losing what dash attack did for her neutral. It's clear they don't want her to be a two-trick pony in Ultimate, so when I said I was hoping for a buff patch for Samus, I didn't want them to restore her Sm4sh dash attack per se, I wanted to see other quality of life improvements to her kit to make her better overall.

Also... while I'm here...
Does anyone know why Nintendo brought back Pokemon Trainer and merged Charizard back with Squirtle and Ivysaur, but Samus isn't merged with Zero Suit again? From what I understood, they had to separate these characters (Zelda and Sheik also) due to limitations with the 3DS hardware, but that's no longer the case with the Switch. It really doesn't seem like it be hard to do, or that it'd be broken given the mix ups the Pokemon can pull off by swapping between a lightweight rushdown and a power heavyweight in the same match.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
OK that's a bit reassuring.
In my mind I was thinking "Can no longer combo off of dash attack" actually meant "Can no longer combo at all". At least down throw can still start combos, and her grabs and throws are better all around. Her combos were just another tool in her varied kit to help deal with different types of opponents.

In Sm4sh, I wasn't really any good with Samus until after that 1.15 patch buff, but even then it wasn't until I learned to use all of her different moves that I could keep up with top tiers like Sonic, Mario, Cloud and Bayo. So that's definitely true.
Mixing up missiles, charge shot, down tilt, Uair, Nair, and making the opponent guess between me using dash attack or dash grab let me compete both up close and from a distance.
I still didn't see enough buffs in these areas to compensate for losing what dash attack did for her neutral. It's clear they don't want her to be a two-trick pony in Ultimate, so when I said I was hoping for a buff patch for Samus, I didn't want them to restore her Sm4sh dash attack per se, I wanted to see other quality of life improvements to her kit to make her better overall.

Does anyone know why Nintendo brought back Pokemon Trainer and merged Charizard back with Squirtle and Ivysaur, but Samus isn't merged with Zero Suit again? From what I understood, they had to separate these characters (Zelda and Sheik also) due to limitations with the 3DS hardware, but that's no longer the case with the Switch. It really doesn't seem like it be hard to do, or that it'd be broken given the mix ups the Pokemon can pull off by swapping between a lightweight rushdown and a power heavyweight in the same match.
Pokemon switching is integral to the Trainer. Taking Samus's armour off is not. It also gives him something unique compared to the rest.

Air charging (and being able to dash out of charging on the ground), no easy powershielding of projectiles, lower landing lag on fair and bombs that explode on contact (and can hit shields twice for maximum pressure) all seem like huge quality-of-life changes to me.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
bombs that explode on contact (and can hit shields twice for maximum pressure) all seem like huge quality-of-life changes to me.
I'm glad they finally did this.
Samus' bombs always seemed underwhelming to me when compared to the explosives most other fighters have that do more damage or can be thrown horizontally to pressure. Plus you had to be very technical to use them to their shield damage protential, and even those were situational scenarios, which meant skill of execution wasn't always worth it for the pay off.
The better shield damage is huge though. Seems like she has more options to force opponents to hide in shield, and that's great given her buffed throws.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Here are my opinions on the colors of Dark Samus' colors.

Navy blue is obviously Dark Samus' default color. Moss green may be based off Weavel, who had history with Samus prior to Metroid Prime Hunters. The only problem is the blue, rather than red based on Weavel's ponytail. The yellow visor and lights were lost in the video where all colors were presented for everyone, since it came off as green. SmashWiki says the third palette is based off Noxus, but I disagree. It's peculiar as to why the visor and lights would be pink, rather than light blue. This is very noticeable in this image as well. My initial assumption was that it was based off the Dark Pirate Trooper. While the lighting makes sense in this context, Dark Samus isn't black.

Whatever the case may be, even if this color isn't based after the Dark Pirate Trooper, it seems to resemble at least some creature from Dark Aether. The wine-colored Dark Samus with the yellow visor and lighting isn't one I've really considered. It very well could just be what Dark Samus would look like if she was made up of red Phazon instead of blue. I do get a vibe of the Pirate Homeworld, though. Regarding the gold Dark Samus, I've already mentioned that I think it's based after the Mogenar. I admit the golden color isn't as vibrant compared to Dark Samus', but it seems to match the gold, blue, and dull orange. Or, maybe this concept art of Metroid Prime? Who knows?

Next is Ultron. Oh, right, this is Metroid, not Marvel. Well, this one isn't my opinion, but I can agree that the silver and red color for Dark Samus may likely be based on the concept art for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Next is the black color for Dark Samus, which I think is supposed to be Metroid Prime's color when it has the power beam screen active. Here's a close-up of Metroid Prime's face, which has a maroon color like that of the ridges on Dark Samus' pauldrons. Finally, there's the fuschia color, which SmashWiki asserts is Gandrayda. I don't have any disagreement there.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, this is an old picture available on the website and you folks may noticed already, but...

Would you say this is representing Dark Samus's attack on Norion? The lush daylight surroundings of Great Bay are pretty reminiscent of that planet and the Moon could be standing in for the Leviathan. It's similar to how the picture of Samus clashing with Meta Ridley is on Castle Siege with emphasis on the surrounding grasslands and forests evoking Tallon IV.

Also her fingers look really grimy for some reason.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
With Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS in 4, they had to separate them because of the 3DS, but Sakurai said that it ended up being for the best, because that way they could balance them more independently and make them more fleshed-out characters. This meant giving Sheik some new moves and giving Samus those stupid rocket shoes. So it was kind of like a happy accident.

I'm glad that Samus and ZSS are separate, since I'd want to play as Samus but not ZSS, but I don't necessarily like how Sheik is separate now, since I thought that was a cool element of the character. Though I guess overall it makes sense for them to be separate characters, since they can be focused on better for balancing purposes. Zelda needs it.

Whereas Pokemon Trainer's removal in 4, besides being possibly due to limitations, I think is moreso because they just didn't know how to balance him. Three characters in one takes a lot of thought and work. For Ultimate, though, it seems like they cracked it. Kind of like how it took a lot of thought and work to get Ridley right, hence why he's been absent all this time. Charizard didn't really gain anything by being separated from Pokemon Trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmsv0ISfto#t=8m14s

I really love the more I watch her movement and erratic posture from things like getting hit, the more I'm glad she's in the game. Particularly this gem:

View attachment 178740
God, we're gonna get Jojo memes like crazy, aren't we.

Well, seeing Dark Samus hold out against Simon gives me life. I mainly play with my family, and my brother who's as into Smash as I am is going to main Simon, so that's a matchup that's had me concerned. Of course, as we play more and more, he's going to figure out my Dark Samus, so it'll only get more challenging over time, but seeing Dark Samus tank all those hits shows me that there's hope. It's in a 4P match with the reduced damage, of course, but that's mostly what I'm going to be playing anyways.

Also really nice to see a game without items. I'm not the kind of person that goes "Get those scrubby items out of my face" or anything, but when I played the game at the mall, the items made it difficult to get a feel for our characters when the stage was covered in them. I've considered going back to the mall this weekend for another go, but I realized that it's Black Friday weekend, so the mall's going to be packed. Which is exactly what Nintendo planned for, so that's fair, it's just inconvenient for people like me who are desperate for info on a character few people care enough about to analyze firsthand.

Regardless, I started work on the script for my Dark Samus video. It's going to be long, but I'm basically going over my entire history with Metroid/Dark Samus and Smash, like ChronoBound's post on Ridley, to explain why I'm so invested in Dark Samus. Hopefully some of you here will be able to relate.

I'll have it out before December 7. The big challenge is going to be getting a bunch of the footage I need, but I already have some of it.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
She always did know how to not-really go out with style.
Falling on the ground like a normal person? Nah, let me convulse profusely and explode into atoms.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Charizard didn't really gain anything by being separated from Pokemon Trainer.
Charizard got that Rock Smash move with super armor that was a big defensive asset to him. Zelda only got that trash phantom move.

The balance thing is a good point though, but I'd imagine it'd be easier to balance two characters than it would be to balance the three starters of the Trainer.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Charizard got that Rock Smash move with super armor that was a big defensive asset to him. Zelda only got that trash phantom move.

The balance thing is a good point though, but I'd imagine it'd be easier to balance two characters than it would be to balance the three starters of the Trainer.
Zard always had Rock Smash, he got Flare Blitz in Smash 4 and is now losing the move he always had thanks to Pokémon Trainer.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Zard always had Rock Smash, he got Flare Blitz in Smash 4 and is now losing the move he always had thanks to Pokémon Trainer.
I think Flare Blitz was the better of the two moves if he had to lose one, so that's fine. I still think they should make a taunt be the switching command, but I guess having one less special move is meant to balance the switching mechanic?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Here's a better look at the alt colours/costumes for all the characters (minus the Miis) in their clapping poses...

Dark Samus is at 0:30 and they all look pretty damn good I have to say...Will likely go for the Black and Dark Blue alts myself

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Here's a better look at the alt colours/costumes for all the characters (minus the Miis) in their clapping poses...

Dark Samus is at 0:30 and they all look pretty damn good I have to say...Will likely go for the Black and Dark Blue alts myself
Well i will add Dark Samus clapping as one of those little things that bother me greatly.

Regular, Black and Purple are the best colors btw.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
My condolences on what turned out to be a lack of Dark Samus theme among the Smash Metroid track list, though not too surprised tbh.

Moment of silence/tribute for this kickass theme that will not be joining us on the game.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed, but the Parasite Queen remix works surprisingly well as a sort of surrogate theme for her:
And hey, the name fits too. To her fans she's a queen, while I've seen some others refer to her as an alien parasite.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Sylux would make for a neat addition. I was never crazy about the guy(/gal?), but if getting him into Smash means getting more Metroid Prime music (specifically Dark Samus' theme) then by golly I'll campaign for Sylux until I run out of breath.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It sucks super hard that there's no Dark Samus theme, and I'd say that it'd be fairly easy to mod in, but Nintendo just recently (kind of) patched the hardware security bug with the Switch, making it much more difficult to hack, so now mods are going to be difficult. That means, if Dark Samus doesn't have her laugh as a taunt or victory screen, then modding that is going to be difficult, too.

Oh well. If it came down to having Dark Samus's theme in the game, or having Dark Samus as a playable character... well, the choice is obvious. There's so much that's good about the situation that a few things not being perfect is not going to bother me.

As a side note, I'll be taking a break from SmashBoards until the game comes out. Now that the full game is out in the wild, I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Stuff like certain music (like whether or not Dark Samus's theme is in, what Ridley's theme is, etc.), or what the options and features are, but I've been hanging out in the General Discussion Thread for a couple months, and I popped in there last week and saw "Boss music" and "Boss moveset" info being presented. Thankfully, the boss was not named, so it wasn't an overt spoiler, but the possibility of seeing that information come up uncensored is not something I want to risk. World of Light stuff is really all I'm worried about being spoiled, and now that that stuff's everywhere, I'm scaling back where I poke my eyes.

See you all in a couple weeks. Can't wait to come back here and have us all figure out what Dark Samus's actual unique attributes are!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Is it just me, or do Dark Samus's missiles come out a lot faster?
Definitely faster than Smash 4, not sure how they compare to Ultimate Samus however. From what I heard her missiles have been improved in this game so they are a bit more useful.
Especially off-stage when covering your recovery, which seemed a bit riskier in past games.

Also was watching the rest of the match and damn Charge Shot killed mad early at the ledge. Granted it was nearly max rage but still. Smash 4 Samus likely wouldn't have killed at that percent even with rage.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I've yet to find any difference between Samus and Dark Samus. Just tested all their moves and the damage is identical.

Top Bottom