• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DI'ing out of Fsmash and Usmash

K 2

Smash Lord
Which direction are you suppose to SDI on her fsmash and usmash? I read in the guide that if you fsmash, the opponent can DI on the other side of you. I generally DI away from zelda (out or up). Is that the right direction to DI?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You should never DI the smashes, DI'ing them gets you killed quicker.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
wo told you you can DI out of her smashes? That was melee zelda. You can't DI out of Brawl Zelda's.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm afraid they are right K 2 it can't happen.

Once and a while someone will get out but it's all luck driven.

Trust me, if I knew how to get out I would tell you.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah.. it's really stupid... it's like tripping. Somehow, once in a blue moon you randomly get out of it. But from what my friends have told me, that only happens to them if they make sure not to try to DI at all. and even then it happens rarely.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
**** Sakurai and making so many thing random, god why does everyone have to keep making theses threads asking for help.

...it only deepens the wounds T_T

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
It's extremely hard to do. If you do DI out of it by some weird chance, consider yourself a M2K for like 2 seconds.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
At the risk (or certainty) of looking ignorant, are you guys for real? Is it completely "random" when an opponent gets out of your F-Smash or U-Smash? Because I could have sworn when I play "better" opponents they escape the F-Smash more often than so-so opponents (is it just spacing or something?), and I also remember folks proclaiming it was all due to DI. Has this changed? Was this found not to be true? Or are you just trying not to give away "trade secrets" to a non-Zelda main? ;) The stickies say it can be DIed, unless a retraction is buried elsewhere in those threads... I've been out of the Smash Boards loop for a long time so I don't know what's what.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
At the risk (or certainty) of looking ignorant, are you guys for real? Is it completely "random" when an opponent gets out of your F-Smash or U-Smash? Because I could have sworn when I play "better" opponents they escape the F-Smash more often than so-so opponents (is it just spacing or something?), and I also remember folks proclaiming it was all due to DI. Has this changed? Was this found not to be true? Or are you just trying not to give away "trade secrets" to a non-Zelda main? ;) The stickies say it can be DIed, unless a retraction is buried elsewhere in those threads... I've been out of the Smash Boards loop for a long time so I don't know what's what.
;D

We can't say! I think if you've played Zelda enough then surely you MUST know the answer...

And riddle-speak is fun!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
honestly. just ask yourself: Would Sakurai be stupid enough not to fix that glaring weakness of having DI escapable smashes like she did in melee?

He might play favourites to kirby and co. but he's not a complete numbskull.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Well, he didn't fix some things that were blatantly there *coughgrabreleasecough*. Not a complete numbskull, just a numbskull.

Btw, I'm able to pull it off roughly half the time. DI downwards or upwards depending on the character for usmash and up and towards Zelda for fsmash, although up works too.

Take that Zelda :p

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well, he didn't fix some things that were blatantly there *coughgrabreleasecough*. Not a complete numbskull, just a numbskull.

Btw, I'm able to pull it off roughly half the time. DI downwards or upwards depending on the character for usmash and up and towards Zelda for fsmash, although up works too.

Take that Zelda :p
Ignore this post...........I can't believe someone would post such blatant misinformation on the entity of integrity known as smashboards.

K 2

Smash Lord
what....? Are you guys purposely telling me I can't DI out of fsmash and usmash just because I'm a non zelda main? Your stickies say I can...I know it is possible to SDI out of multihit smashes (like Zelda).

Wow...the zelda boards are so mean...I'm going to leave and never come back.

Gothic Zelda

Smash Apprentice
Nope, good sir, it's impossible, seriously. You might pop out of an fsmash but god HELP YOU if you get caught in her usmash.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Alright, here's some honesty.

It's possible to SDI out of both, but it's extremely hard to do it out of her UpSmash. You can try, but it really is all luck there. The UpSmash traps you in ways that make the required SDI ridiculous, and if you manage to get all the right inputs at the right times, you'll get out. That almost always is attributed to pure luck. Consider, especially, that SDI'ing out of the UpSmash requires you to input upwards DI. This means that if you do not manage to get out of the UpSmash with the SDI, then that upwards DI you're inputting will only end up killing you by making the UpSmash send you even further up than it would. In general, don't try to DI the UpSmash. It's Zelda's best move for a reason, so just do your best to avoid it.

The FSmash is easier to DI out of but still not easy by any standard whatsoever. Basically, you need to quarter circle out of it. And even then, you have to DI differently based on whether you're caught in it near Zelda or near the tip. If you're caught near Zelda, then you can quarter circle between towards her and down to try to get out of it behind her and punish her. As was mentioned before, you could also quarter circle between towards her and up, which has a slightly higher success rate. However, if you mess up the timing, then you'll end up above Zelda in perfect position for an UpSmash from her, so it's risky. Position also makes it harder for you to come out of it fast enough to punish her for it. On the positive side, if you're quarter circling it up and towards her, then that SDI input will help you DI the final hit in case you don't manage to get out. So it's a matter of picking choosing your risk.

If you're caught at the tip of the FSmash, then you're going to want to quarter circle away from her and up. Here too, though, there is the problem that if you don't get out of the smash, then your away and up SDI will only give her smash more sending power since you're helping it. That would be dangerous for you.

Practice it, but learn to accept the frustration that comes with it. People keep their distance from a Zelda for a very specific reason.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Waaah, waah, baby wants a nipple.
Actually, this question has been posted on separate occasions like 10+ times already and that's why we're all irritated to hell whenever it comes up, not even going into the nature of the subject matter that you're asking for.

K 2

Smash Lord
Well...make a Q&A thread? Post it in the stickies? If something comes up over and over again, sticky it.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
So it's not character dependant. (Psi)...

And here I thought Ness had an easier time DI out of it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I disagree, her fsmash I can DI alot, it's just her usmash. When I try to DI i'm just stuck in that shiny crap

K 2

Smash Lord
Geez...you guys aren't helping at all. A third of you say its impossible to DI out of her usmash and fsmash, a third say its possible, but hard, and the last third says its easy. The ones who tell me I can DI out say you should SDI towards Zelda (which would make you get stuck in her smash, rather than pop out...right? my common sense tells me to DI away.)

I'm so confused.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
just to be honest here... DIing up out of her Usmash is a bad idea. if you fast fall, are heavy or have a low damage, it means you won't be able to get away from a second Usmash if she follows with it... and if you DI that, she can Usmash again... etc.

K 2

Smash Lord
I use G&W. He is light and floaty. I can just up b if zelda tries to follow up with another usmash. Now which direction do I SDI? I'm getting conflicting answers...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I use G&W. He is light and floaty. I can just up b if zelda tries to follow up with another usmash. Now which direction do I SDI? I'm getting conflicting answers...
I can't help you with that. I'm never on the recieving end of this attack.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
...honestly, I have done this alot, testing how to DI out of her smashes, her F-smash is relatively easy if you predicted it and didn't have time to shield or dodge. (doubles stick SDI up)

Her Upsmash is almost impossible to get out of. No joke. People are correct that sometimes (if you are marth : P) you will just get out. no plausable reason.

I have no answer for you if you are trying to get out of it, but if you want to live from it at further % SDI down to the ground, and right before it ends, DI left. (perpindicular to how it will send you. This will let you live at slightly bigger %s. (don't forget to do an aerial to slow your momentum)

-Ai-

Smash Cadet
In my battles against Dark Peach. Hes escaped my Fsmash 90% of the time tho not the u smash but there has been players who escaped my usmash as if they knew. Just saying its not impossible.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Ai,

I agree, the forward smash is fairly easy to escape, but the upsmash I can't pinpoint on being anything other than luck, as there seems to be no method that works 100% or even close. And some characters just get out of it really easy and for seemingly no reason (marth).

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen, Fsmash is much easier to DI out of than Usmash. From the people that I've played with, they've escaped Usmash mostly when I'm below them and they're on a platform. So for Usmash I believe it's about you relative position in it when the move initiates. They are indeed both hard to do though. I believe Heavyweights can't DI out of Usmash at all, but I could be wrong on this.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
*hint*

if you have good positioning with the usmash, it's almost impossible to escape.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Indeed this is true. The other people I've played with have had habits of getting in a bad position to get trapped in it. So yeah.

Top Bottom