• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Different shield per each character.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
When I was reading that post about yoshi's shield properties, I started wondering why yoshi is the only one who gets a special shield.

Actually, all the characters having the flashy bubble is unrealistic and pretty much breaks the style of a character according to their games.

I mean, Zelda could cast a bubble of protection but... Snake?

Wouldn't you prefer, instead, a different, personal shield animation for each character with special properties?

->For example, link could bring his shield in front of him, it would not protect against attacks from the rear, but in exchange would allow link to walk slowly with the shield on, and also do that "jump attack" from the zelda series while pressing A.

->Donkey kong could crouch covering himself with the arms and get perfect protection, but also still get a bit of damage (1%) with each hit received.

->Olimar could cover himself with pikmin, who would protect him with their life, allowing an out of shield attack by releasing all them like a explosion.

-> What about this for snake: A SWAT-like shield that protects in front, and instead of rolling forward you do dash and hit people with the shield (you can be shield grabbed, but done in the precise moment it stuns pretty well so you can follow up with tilts, jabs...) It would also protect against grenades you hold (let's say you hold em with the arm straight at the other side of the shield :p)

Bowser-Shell where people will take damage if they jump on him, but has some lag.

Peach-Parasol shield would be a good shield however, there is a small amount of knock-back from being hit.

Mario-Ducks under his hat, he takes half damage however he becomes a small target and can act instantly from his shield.

Luigi-Luigi puts his arms out as though being brave and when someone attacks he jumps backwards quickly, avoiding the move.

Donkey Kong-DK Barrel would be a good shield, however it could be picked up and thrown like an item. When thrown it takes 3 seconds for him to get out.
If you like the idea, please post what shield would your favourite character have, and what would it do!

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Two Nayru's Love moves, please. One that works like Yoshi's shield (without the crappy shield game) and the Neutral B. MMmmm.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Two Nayru's Love moves, please. One that works like Yoshi's shield (without the crappy shield game) and the Neutral B. MMmmm.

Yeah, Zelda seems like she would have a very strong shield, considering the game and how defensive she is.

Any special properties for that shield? ^^

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's pretty cheap that everyone else has a bubble..

Snake should have had his box.
Mario his statue form from Super Mario 3.
Bowser & Squirtle in their shell.
Charizard wrap him self in in his wings.
DK & Diddy a "DK barrel".
MK half cloaked.
Kirby... a rock maybe?
Zelda, Ness & Lucas force field.
Wario stand still and look stupid/smiling which ironicly would work like a shield.
G&W locked in a cage.

No ideas for the other chars..
Like C.Falcon would take shelter in Blue falcon.. just isn't right!

Darkurai

Smash Master
Are you guys seriously complaining that every character has a shield that they can use to protect themselves?

Who cares if they're not from the games? Smash Bros. isn't known for taking the character perfectly as they are from their games. As such, some things are made up.

Yeah, I want my game with living pink balls eating happy green dinosaurs to copy the top of its head and wear it as a hat so it can use it's large tongue to be more realistic.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice
Are you guys seriously complaining that every character has a shield that they can use to protect themselves?

Who cares if they're not from the games? Smash Bros. isn't known for taking the character perfectly as they are from their games. As such, some things are made up.

Yeah, I want my game with living pink balls eating happy green dinosaurs to copy the top of its head and wear it as a hat so it can use it's large tongue to be more realistic.
Lol, you're getting it all wrong.

First of all, we're not "seriously complaining" as you call it. We're just happily chatting about what we would like to have in our game, due to personal preferences, general boredom... Whatever our reasons are.

And we are not asking for realism. Geez, I hate how people seem not to see the difference between "realism" and "coherence". Even the most unrealistic game should be subject to some laws, at least the ones defined by itself.

The thematic of Smash Bros series is to gather characters from a lot of games and put them to fight using the weapons and abilities from their games. Your falcon punch example fails because it comes from captain falcon anyway, not from thin air. Also, the made-up techniques like the whole Ganondorf moveset are coherent with the universe the character comes from. You might argue here, but at least, they are UNIQUE to that character.

-Kirby being a pink ball and eating people to copy -> Check
-Zelda using magic -> Check
-Wario killing by farting -> Check
-Snake summoning a bubble of protection -> WTF?

There's where the coherence fails. It's not less "realistic" than any of the previously listed abilities, but it doesn't "belong" to snake. Thus it doesn't look cool. It's not that it breaks the game or anything, but it could be better.

Also, different shields -> more variety in gameplay, more knowledge and practice involved to foresee the opponent actions both offensive and defensively (because, as of now, defensive tactics are the same for 80% of the characters)

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
-Wario killing by farting -> Check

Also, different shields -> more variety in gameplay, more knowledge and practice involved to foresee the opponent actions both offensive and defensively (because, as of now, defensive tactics are the same for 80% of the characters)
Name one game in which Wario kills by farting.

As for the shields, having some techniques that are shared for most of the characters is a GOOD thing, as it promotes balance. One of the reaons why Guilty Gear is so well balanced is becuase it has about a million things that all of the characters can do, and guess what, it still ends up having MORE variety in playstyles than Smash Bros. BECUASE of all the shared techniques that allows that variety to flourish. If you diversify your characters' basic abilities too much without having any standard techniques, that's the fast way to having only a scant few characters who are actually worth playing.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
This is something I wondered. How DID Sakurai develope the shielding?
But yeah, It would be cool if each character got a different shield animation.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This is something I wondered. How DID Sakurai develope the shielding?
But yeah, It would be cool if each character got a different shield animation.
In Kirby Super Star you can hold L or R to block. That's not even making fun of Sakurai bias, I honestly think that's where he got it from.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Bowser-Shell where people will take damage if they jump on him, but has some lag.

Peach-Parasol shield would be a good shield however, there is a small amount of knock-back from being hit.

Mario-Ducks under his hat, he takes half damage however he becomes a small target and can act instantly from his shield.

Luigi-Luigi puts his arms out as though being brave and when someone attacks he jumps backwards quickly, avoiding the move.

Donkey Kong-DK Barrel would be a good shield, however it could be picked up and thrown like an item. When thrown it takes 3 seconds for him to get out.

All of these could be grabbed out of however.

Wolf I'd imagine would have a bad shield because his Wolfen had high attack power at the expense of a worse shield if I remember correctly.

Falcord

Smash Apprentice

All of these could be grabbed out of however.

Wolf I'd imagine would have a bad shield because his Wolfen had high attack power at the expense of a worse shield if I remember correctly.
Cool ones! I'll add them with credit to the OP if you don't mind :)

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
PT's shield should be Dig or they go into a pokeball, and if they roll it releases them to the left or right.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff had a slightly different shield back in Smash 64--it was bigger than everyone else's.
I think in Melee they started adjusting the shield sizes so that it corresponded to character size.

Denzi

Smash Master
Name one game in which Wario kills by farting.
Brawl.:p

Fox/Falco use their reflectors (lolobvious)

Gannondorf gets a triforce in front of him, when released it pushes the enemy back to about the distance of a side B.

Mr. G&W's diving helmet protects from/damages airborne foes, but leaves him vulnerable to (low) ground attacks.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Just an idea- maby the shield for every character would be the same, with the properties of the bubble... however it just doesnt LOOOK likea bubble... you know...

like yoshi's egg but it behaves like a bubble shield...
peachs umbrella... but it behaves like a bubble shield(turns red and stuff and blah all same properties)

just some eye candy =D

Denzi

Smash Master
Just an idea- maby the shield for every character would be the same, with the properties of the bubble... however it just doesnt LOOOK likea bubble... you know...

like yoshi's egg but it behaves like a bubble shield...
peachs umbrella... but it behaves like a bubble shield(turns red and stuff and blah all same properties)

just some eye candy =D
I agree on every point.

*imagines how cool link would look w/ a Triforce bubble*

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
For Peach they should give her a heart shield bubble since her powers are always heart based in all the games she appeared in.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
huh, yea, it really sucks that Link, the hero of time doesn't have a SHIELD to be his ACTUAL SHIELD

Also, what's up with the YOshi, I don't get it as well...

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
also, I want wegee to have his own shield, preferably umm, uhh, idk, just make something up.

I suggest Pikachu8 having a thunder-like shield

Sorry for double post, im trying to get posts lol

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon grows multiple knees in every direction, instantkill.

Giving each character such a shield would be pretty silly, it somehow ruins the Beat-Em-Up spirit.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If the shields would have different effects and depth they would be almost like a defensive B-move... that would ruin the game ;P

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
What if some shields are worse then others?
Bowser with a laggy shield? That almost kills his defensive side. Spam would destroy him even more >_>
That's why they don't give everyone a special shield.

-:bowser:Bowser King

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, why do people insist on being so extremly pessimistic, and -- dare I say it -- mindnumbingly dumb about this? Just because Yoshi's shield doesn't mean that every single specialized shield will automatically suck or completely unbalance the game. Diversity and variation is also good.

Also, Nintendo is at least considering including much more memory for their next console. This means we could end up getting patches and updates to fix under/overpowered shields. Even if Sakurai designs SSB4 (that's not even guranteed) there is a possibility of him taking advantage of the memory. After all, he included online (albeit horrible) in Brawl, so we know that he at least considers using the new abilities a console has to offer.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff had a slightly different shield back in Smash 64--it was bigger than everyone else's.
I think in Melee they started adjusting the shield sizes so that it corresponded to character size.
No, in Melee if you held down L or R gently you got a longer lasting, but weaker shield. It was taken out in Brawl IIRC. :mad:

Korea4ever

Smash Cadet
unique animations would definitely be nice and would certainly make the characters even more unique. However, I'm against giving the shields unique properties. The shield is a basic ability shared by all characters, and if you change what they do, it would be like changing sidesteps so that certain parts are vulnerable on certain characters, etc. Speaking of which, sidesteps and rolls are a perfect example; all the characters roll and sidestep differently, but it accomplishes the exact same thing.

BrawlerHarrison

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the sheilds would suit better by changing entirely, but only changing the stance of the character in the shield instead.

If the shields would change, wouldn't there be a shield tier list? O.O

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
No, in Melee if you held down L or R gently you got a longer lasting, but weaker shield. It was taken out in Brawl IIRC. :mad:
It was taken out because the other controllers weren't able to sense a slight tap because they lacked a spring >_>

Ugh, why do people insist on being so extremly pessimistic, and -- dare I say it -- mindnumbingly dumb about this? Just because Yoshi's shield doesn't mean that every single specialized shield will automatically suck or completely unbalance the game. Diversity and variation is also good.

Also, Nintendo is at least considering including much more memory for their next console. This means we could end up getting patches and updates to fix under/overpowered shields. Even if Sakurai designs SSB4 (that's not even guranteed) there is a possibility of him taking advantage of the memory. After all, he included online (albeit horrible) in Brawl, so we know that he at least considers using the new abilities a console has to offer.
Mindnumbingly dumb? More like "trying to keep game balanced". If you included a laggy shield for bowser, it would be bad. It's a fact. No more quick ^b OOS or simple chaingrab. No more easy perfect shielding (and if you have played bowser you would know without perfect shield spammers would eat him).

Patches are dumb as not everyone plays wifi. Plus at a tourney every wii is going to need updating or that could cause trouble. Thee's also chances one shield may be extremly good for a character while another sucks.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Top Bottom