• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #18~ Game and Watch

DFEAR

Smash Hero

Discuss the mister who does everything. Input as MUCH info as needed + the following.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
Overall Character Ratio:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Game and Watch mains always john about Diddies. I guess we've got the upper hand here lol.

A crewmember of mine who used to be France's n°2 GaW taught me how to play that MU a while ago... You basically have to play suuuuuper defensive, always keep a banana in your hand ans then GaW doesn't have any single safe move. That's the theory, because that dude is quite agile.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Once you learn how to abuse G&Ws horrendous mechanics (trip and get-up animation, tech roll etc) this match-up becomes extremely one-sided. It's like auto-win for Diddy.

:059:

Yaman12

Smash Rookie
I would say this match is pretty much absolute ****. G&W has horrible trip lag, so it's way to easy for Diddy to nanner lock him or just abuse his bananas in general. only real problem would be him edge guarding with his frying pan and then getting us away from the stage with ariels, but that is very unlikely if you properly shield and use your bannas. Over all, I would say this match is 40-60 if not 35-65 in Diddy's favor.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I would say this match is pretty much absolute ****. G&W has horrible trip lag, so it's way to easy for Diddy to nanner lock him or just abuse his bananas in general. only real problem would be him edge guarding with his frying pan and then getting us away from the stage with ariels, but that is very unlikely if you properly shield and use your bannas. Over all, I would say this match is 40-60 if not 35-65 in Diddy's favor.
What G&W seriously tries to edge guard a Diddy with his frying pan? It's so easy to avoid... I can only imagine he has better options than that.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
also, he jumps around alot with bairs and nairs so time your approaches or bait and punish
why ever approach in the first place and why arent u lol'n at him for bair/nair near u anyways lol...banana> everything he has.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
Diddy wins 65-35.

Bait all approaches, bair, nair, dair and punish with a naner. Avoid the usmash specifically. bad DI and a mid charged usmash can take you out at 65% easy.

Count

Smash Champion
I'm going to do a real write up on this since nobody did and if you blindly go into a match against a good game and watch, you will lose.

That being said the matchup is 6:4, but like I said if you expect to show up and throw bananas you're going to be in a for a big surprise.

-Playing aggressively can work but you'll be in for a much tougher run than you previously thought if you're playing aggro. Camp and the gamenwatches options are severely limited.

-run around beneath game and watch with a banana in your hand..it throws the game and watch off as he is landing. If you simply stand still and camp game and watch has an easier time landing and somehow approaching.

-the first match will likely be on battlefield, and game and watch is going to land on platforms 80% of the time when recovering from above. Throw bananas up towards platforms or even leave them there. gnw has a hard time picking up bananas.

-a lot of the time game and watch will up b immediately when he lands. bait this and go for fairs after the up b.

-despite the dair I think uthrow is good in this matchup. GnW's options falling from the sky are limited.

-Just be smart; in order for game and watch to win you're going to have to run into some smashes or something.

-I don't think anything we have beats his fair, which can be pesky while recovering. DONT CHALLENGE fair. We have enough other options that we never want to be in 50:50 or even 60:40 situations when playing game and watch.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
yea, i got ***** by the best GaW player we have here :S
KaaK ruined my diddy XD

at first i did fine, but he figured out a way to make it look hopeless to me... i really dont know how he does it O.o

Gnes

Smash Master
Hmm...its cuz not many GAWs play this matchup right....they actually moves that are safe on our shield.

Utd Zac 2-0ed wyatt in a MM when wyatt came to hobo.

and with the current anti-diddy metagame growing, we'll start to see alot of matchups change.

XxSilverCobraxX

Smash Rookie
Against g&ws I find it helpful to always have a banana in your hand. It's not too hard to single naner lock
on him. When he uses his fair punish with a grab release to side b. Or Might just suck so might not wanna listen to me

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay, after playing a G&W that is almost exactly at my skill level, I can say we DEFINITELY have the upper hand, and by a long shot (he eventually had to counterpick Wario... which proved to be a good move, but I digress). Like Gheb said, his trip and get-up animations are soooo easy to abuse, and avoiding his aerial approaches (and shielding the B-Air properly) is very easy to do... if we're on the ground. As far as that goes, I believe now that all of his ground moves are slow, easy to see coming and punish in the post-lag, and can all be punished easily with a Banana throw, save possibly D-Tilt.

I will say when you're above a G&W it's annoying trying to get down when they're U-Airing you (and refreshing their moves... That's just stupid), but pulling Bananas to make him avoid them and Air Dodging at the right time work just fine. The primary problem here is how bad our horizontal aerial momentum is, meaning that credit card will smack you in the face a few times before you make it back down. Playing against G&W turned out to be a lot easier than I imagined O.o

I'm going to reiterate that the G&W is MY skill level... And I just placed in teh moniez in a tournament for the first time yesterday. He knew how to Bucket Brake and do other fancy G&W tricks, so I'm pretty sure he's been to the boards at least a few times. I am basing this post entirely on my experience playing him.

On a completely unrelated note, there are still a LOT of people (around were I am, anyway) who haven't played against Diddy... And that's always lulz (OMG BANANAS WTF SOO BROKEN BAN PLZ)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
play as mk or snake then they have somethin to really ***** about :\

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
don't jump ever because G&W's nair>diddy's coming back to the ground options.

banana in hand, one banana out. camp, and if they attack you, just shield and punish with a throw. this matchup is eaaasy

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
Also, don't get grabbed, GnW has some ridiculous shenanigans from his grab that will lead to either a tech-chase Usmash or a straight up Dsmash should u not be able to roll out in time.

Otherwise, play it safe, the GnW i play with uses Nair and Bair quite a lot and dealing with them when you're standing still can get quite annoying, especially that sixth hit on Bair should he hit the ground.

60:40 Diddy's favor easy

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Everythings pretty much been covered already. G&W can live up to ridiculous percentages in this MU tho . Like 150+

but ya,this MU is pretty bad for us unless you have a ton of diddy expierence which most top G&W's don't have.
(but in the otherhand,diddy can also easily lose this matchup if you have no G&W expierence lol.)

G&W can easily punish diddy offstage. He has pleeeeeeeenntty of options. Also remember his smashes can kill you guys pretty early starting at 70 if you have bad DI lol.

65:35

also i want to add in that it is NOT an autowin match up and that it's misunderstood a lot because of the 90% of bad G&Ws out there lol. It may be a bad MU but it can very easily be in our favor in a lot of situations if diddy makes a mistake.

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
my local GnW once said "the agro's even but if you just play it gay you will always win this, i can't do a thing about it"

thoughts?

Splice

Smash Hero
I'd say that if you play Agro it's in our favour lol.
If you play gay GaW still has a chance, but yeah it's friggin hard.

GaWs air game ***** yours though, although your Fair used well is quite good. It's just our ground game that lets us down, with Dash attack being almost useless, and Dtilt is useful sometimes but it's useless if Diddy is on the ground, and holding a banana. Our shorthopped airials are punishable and really if you have a banana it's hard to even get that close with a ground approach.

A cool thing about GaW though is our smashes, and because of some of our gimmicky moves such as Uair etc., we can land smashes in more unpredictable/unexpected ways. A smart GaW can turn a match around with a charged Usmash, but of course if the Diddy is thinking right too, you can avoid this of course. Be wary though.

But yeah, if both characters are on the ground then the Bananas just destroy us. GaW needs a platform to be safe, even on a big stage like FD he cannot be on the ground near Diddy with control of his bananas and he has to land sometime... we need platforms so that we can avoid getting ***** too hard before we can make some kind of opening. Diddy's Bananas are of course your biggest asset, but especially so in this MU. Imo GaW would have the advantage if not for bananas.

Pretty much if Diddy doesn't get aggressive coz he has lost the lead and keeps tight watch on his bananas, GaW is pretty severley limited. If GaW planks on the edge, you can make a swift move and get him, but really it's quite dangerous for you if GaW is planking with % lead. Take the time to think.

60:40 in my opinion.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Gnw is hard, he has good frame data for escaping our normal punishes. Maybe I just suck vs game and watch, they've always been annoying to me.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Nah they hard spesh if they have the lead. A planking gnw is impossible..cross up nair -> upb is kinda stupid.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
G&W's trip animations are longer than the other characters in the game, if only by a little. Does that really do much for the match-up? I haven't played against enough good G&Ws to say.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Well is gives us more time to punish, so it could be the difference in hitting with the kill move, so I'd say it helps :)

Gnes

Smash Master
G&W's trip animations are longer than the other characters in the game, if only by a little. Does that really do much for the match-up? I haven't played against enough good G&Ws to say.
Not really, a trip is a trip.
GAW is pretty hard, his UP B makes some of his moves/attack patterns completely unpunishable through conventional means, he has the potential to gimp, and diddy gets in kill range at 70%.

My advice in this matchup is not neccesarily camp, but take it real slow. Only punish moves u know can be punished, and dont do risky things.

If u have to put a ratio on it I think its 55-45 or 60-40 diddy's favor

Splice

Smash Hero
the extra amount of time it takes on the trip is actually pretty frustrating for GaW lol... It helps you guys and can be the difference between a Dsmash and somewhat charged Dsmash...

However in GaWs defense, he can UpB after he trips and this is totally safe, fantastic getaway move.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
the extra amount of time it takes on the trip is actually pretty frustrating for GaW lol... It helps you guys and can be the difference between a Dsmash and somewhat charged Dsmash...

However in GaWs defense, he can UpB after he trips and this is totally safe, fantastic getaway move.
i think his slow get-up options are a MUCH larger pain than his *slightly* longer trip animation
he cant really roll, since you easily punish that on reaction, so he has either get up or attack, which are countered by standing near him with a banana shielding.

Top Bottom