• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Del Money

Smash Champion
'

Sakurai doesn't have that much power of Sonic being in, idiot. If he wants Sonic in, he has to get the rights to use him. I honestly doubt that's going to happen. It's been implied it's not going to.

At any rate, Sakurai is limited there. Just like he's limited with Characters in general. But you seem to be unable to grasp this concept. You seem to think Sakurai can have whatever he wants. Well guess what. He can't. He's limited by time, money, and licenses.
heres that everyone? Sakurai, the director of a video game, has NO control over anything in his game. its all time, money, and licenses. if a time, money, and license allow Sonic in, then Sakurai CANT POSSIBLY say no EVEN IF HE WANTED TO. best choose your words carefully next time, IDIOT
How do you automatically assume I'm from 4chan by commenting on the ignore button, Ivy League ****er? How do I support Zippocat? I haven't mentioned **** about him. This itself proves you don't listen to anyone but yourself.
it was a ****ing joke so keep your pants on you dumb ****. and 2nd, you cant prove anything about me, you ****ing peckerhead. you dont even ****ing know me. so stop pretending you actually have anything between your legs and shut the **** up

RDK

Smash Hero
Well then don't engage into a debate with him if you feel that way.
Will do.

This thread has gotten so off topic, I'm not even going to post here until the discussion turns back to where it was originally.

ten

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna like take Mookie's advice and uh, tone it down or some **** like that.

Also, I like how ten tries to join the argument but spells you're wrong.
Looks like Del was right about you guys going crazy over a few spelling mistakes.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
UMMMMMMMMMMM.

I'm glad Diddy's eyes don't look as weird as DK's.

[/desperate attempt to douse the flames]

Del Money

Smash Champion
Hey guys, lets stop flaming. I got a PM to check this out, and I've read some of LightLink's posts and whatnot and he is seemingly just debating the heck out of you guys, so don't make this into a flame war. I would like to say to both Volrec and LightLink to just tone it down a little, you can make your point without being angry.
1. LightLink17 turned it into a flame war when he decided to get personal and reosrt to name-calling and insults
2. Volrec never even HAD anything debate-worthy that he ever posted
3. LightLink isnt debating crap, hes conveniently ignoring my points and trying to twist them to his goddam advantage...all while failing miserably in the process. he must think hes a ****ing politician or summat
Wow Lightlink, you don't seem to understand that Sakurai decides when to release the game. He can put in any and all 1rst party characters as he wants. Of course he doesn't want the game to be realesed years from now, but he will put in the ones he wants until he is satified. I'm sure he decided on a release date depending on what he wanted in the game. If you think he said, "I'm gonna release the game on Dec 3. Now, time to decide who's in and who's out" then your nuts. Whoever's in was decided months ago, way before the release date was.
QFT. hence why he's the DIRECTOR OF BRAWL
Also, I like how ten tries to join the argument but spells you're wrong.
yeah, thats not instigating or anything...

RDK

Smash Hero
Volrec never even HAD anything debate-worthy that he ever posted
Big surprise there. Those with heart conditions might not want to read that.

ten

Smash Cadet
i taught you said you weren't going to post till the thread went back to normal.
Why do you guys have to act so politically correct(for lack of a better word).

EDIT: Nevermind I see you spelled I wrong and instead of saying thought you said taught, or maybe you just have bad grammar period. Sorry for accusing you.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Wow Lightlink, you don't seem to understand that Sakurai decides when to release the game.
You don't seem to understand that he realistically can't release it too late. Bad things happen when games are postponed too often. Nintendo is all around good at avoiding those bad things, but it's not something people look for.

He can put in any and all 1rst party characters as he wants.
He has infinite money then?

Of course he doesn't want the game to be realesed years from now, but he will put in the ones he wants until he is satified.
Within the confines of realism of course.
I'm sure he decided on a release date depending on what he wanted in the game.
So am I. I am also sure that he kept in mind realistic times when he decided what he wanted. There are certainly things that aren't in Brawl because it would have taken too long, and he didn't want to have it take so long to produce.

If you think he said, "I'm gonna release the game on Dec 3. Now, time to decide who's in and who's out" then your nuts.
That's not what I think he said. I think he said "We have around X years" and went with that. It would be better to do that because like I said, bad things happen if a game takes too long, and it's easier to keep a deadline in mind.
He's not even making valid points. He's just quoting our arguments and spewing pseudo-intelligent babble back at people that has no real substance. He's the king of argument-dodging.
Prove it. Show you making a point, and show me dodging it. I'd love to see this.
heres that everyone? Sakurai, the director of a video game, has NO control over anything in his game.
Having time, money, and licensing constraints = no control over anything in his game?

Strawmen. Huge, gigantic strawman.
its all time, money, and licenses. if a time, money, and license allow Sonic in, then Sakurai CANT POSSIBLY say no EVEN IF HE WANTED TO. best choose your words carefully next time, IDIOT
I honestly can't decipher this. Rewrite this in English please.
1. LightLink17 turned it into a flame war when he decided to get personal and reosrt to name-calling and insults
Yeah, because calling somebody "dumb" "stupid" and "********" when they consistently talk about things nobody ever said is so bad, and doesn't fit at all.

Oh wait.

3. LightLink isnt debating crap, hes conveniently ignoring my points
Prove it. Quote your points, and quote me ignoring them. Once again, I'd love to see this.

The problem is, your points are crap. So I go into large detail as to why. And all of a sudden we're somewhere else and I "ignored" your points. Puhleeze.

So, once again, Prove it.

SiD

Smash Master
Why do you seem to think he needs tons of money for each character he wants to put in? First party characters don't require licensing fees dude.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Why do you seem to think he needs tons of money for each character he wants to put in? First party characters don't require licensing fees dude.
An extra character = more time. More time means more money needed to pay programmers, graphics designers, musicians, artists, writers, and a whole slew of other people.

Do you not know how things are made?

SiD

Smash Master
Yes I do, but you seem to think it costs alot of money for each character so that's why they can only have so many but you're wrong, it's only, ONLY, because they can't delay it forever. Like you said.

ten

Smash Cadet
An extra character = more time. More time means more money needed to pay programmers, graphics designers, musicians, artists, writers, and a whole slew of other people.

Do you not know how things are made?
So far they've been working on Brawl for what, atleast a little over a year now. they've had plenty of time. We knew about the games development since mid 2005. Source http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617000p1.html. Its in that interview.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Yes I do, but you seem to think it costs alot of money for each character so that's why they can only have so many but you're wrong, it's only, ONLY, because they can't delay it forever. Like you said.
Money has to do with it too. They can't spend billions on this. So they do have a limit on money.I will agree that it isn't a large factor. It's going to sell big, and time is tied into money, and time is more important than money. But there is a money factor.

So far they've been working on Brawl for what, atleast a little over a year now. they've had plenty of time. We knew about the games development since mid 2005. Source http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617000p1.html. Its in that interview.
Okay. What's your point?

SiD

Smash Master
Anyway, the point of all this is that Del was right, Diddy being in the game does not at all reduce anyone else's chance of being in the game, because everyone that Sakurai wants in will be in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
...coperate pigs...

I only do anything for the art of it, not the money...

Money is only needed because of the way sociey is run and the greed of people...

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, the point of all this is that Del was right, Diddy being in the game does not at all reduce anyone else's chance of being in the game, because everyone that Sakurai wants in will be in.
Except that you agree that time restrictions exist, and of course, money restrictions exist too.

Further, if everybody Sakurai wants to be in will be in, there's no reason to debate their chances in relation to other characters even within a franchise. Yet everywhere you have things like "Pokemon trainer's in! How does he affect the chances of other pokemon?" and stuff. Thus, common sense indicates that this is a wrong assumption, not everybody Sakurai wants to be in will be in, and of course, history plays this out when Sakurai has stated already that in both the original game and in Melee, he wanted characters to be in who did not manage to make it in.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, but he has more control this time since they had to beg him to make another Smash game. And your right, I meant across franchises. My bad. Of course he can't put in 12 pokemon even if he wanted too, because there are other franchises to show some love to. But Diddy doesn't reduce the chances of say Olimar by the slightest.

ten

Smash Cadet
Okay. What's your point?
You claimed that they would need more time and money to include more characters and I proved that they already have had the time to include more characters(basically if a character is going to be in the final game they are probablly already in).

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
Ok, but he has more control this time since they had to beg him to make another Smash game. And your right, I meant across franchises. My bad. Of course he can't put in 12 pokemon even if he wanted too, because there are other franchises to show some love to. But Diddy doesn't reduce the chances of say Olimar by the slightest.
Probably not. But Diddy could take away from other people. Olimar is his own guy. Diddy could take away from Zant for all we know. We don't. But there is no logical reason why a character can't take away from characters across franchises, and there's the logical "there can only be so many" that makes it so that any character at all takes away from every other character.

Think of this as game theory. This is a zero sum game. You are either in or out, and everybody in makes it more likely that you will be out, first in your own franchise, and secondly, in others.
You claimed that they would need more time and money to include more characters and I proved that they already have had the time to include more characters(basically if a character is going to be in the final game they are probablly already in).
Yeah, we know that. Thanks.

This doesn't say much you see. I say he will need more time for more characters. More money for them too. That's obvious. What you say doesn't contradict that. It only shifts the subject to the past, where it always has been. But we speak as if it's the present.

To make it a little easier...yes, they have had time to include characters. If they wanted more, they need MORE time.

SiD

Smash Master
No, it doesn't. Sakurai isn't gonna make a choice between say Zant and Olimar, he's gonna put them both in if he thinks they best represent their franchises and he wants those franchises in. It isn't a set number of characters that'll be in, it's what characters he wants in, with time factored in, that decides how many will be in. He might decide between, say, Ganondorf and Zant, but if he wants Pikmin in there it'll be in there no matter what other franchises character counts are.

ten

Smash Cadet
Yeah, we know that. Thanks.
No need to be a sarcastic *****.

This doesn't say much you see. I say he will need more time for more characters. More money for them too. That's obvious. What you say doesn't contradict that. It only shifts the subject to the past, where it always has been. But we speak as if it's the present.

To make it a little easier...yes, they have had time to include characters. If they wanted more, they need MORE time.
Thats common sense, depending on how many more characters were to be added(ofcourse it will take longer to include 40 instead 20). That doesnt mean other characters like Sonic have less of a chance.Espicially since Sonic is demand. It does however decrease the chances for less known characters. This arguement is pointless. Its time to get back on topic.

SiD

Smash Master
Sorry, just saw this part. Yes, that's true, but they decided who they wanted to include before they told us the release date, making your argument irrelevant. Who's in is who they thought was worth the time to put in.

ten

Smash Cadet
Sorry, just saw this part. Yes, that's true, but they decided who they wanted to include before they told us the release date, making your argument irrelevant. Who's in is who they thought was worth the time to put in.
Agreed. Which is why this arguement is pointless who ever was planned to be in is already in and there will be no more time used for other characters.

SiD

Smash Master
Ok, so back to Diddy. I'm very excited about him. When I first saw the update, I was like meh. But the more I think about it, and after watching part of a Kong 64 speed run, I can't wait to try him out.

ten

Smash Cadet
Yeah Diddys going to be on my list of possible mains. He looks like he''l be a fun character to play as, and he'll be fast from what I saw in the pics.

Vali

Smash Ace
Actually, I think I'll choose not to continue the debate so I've editted my reply. This is not the place for it after all and I'd hate the thread to go down because it =]. Already attracted some admin attention I see.

@Xianfeng - Nintendo have the right! *points at Diddy Kong Racing version 2* ;_;

xianfeng

Smash Hero
LightLink17 + Volrec = gay
Me too! Please don't say that rubbish in my thread.

Sir i don't appreciate you using the word "gay" in a degrading and negative way. As a raging homo i am deeply offended.
Raging homo? Please that's insulting to both of us.

...no homo I know really truly finds that offensive
Exactly, we shouldn't care., I know I don't usually.

Lightlink I'm sorry that you had to deal with that.

I'm upset that Diddy's eyes aren't blue.

Didn't his shirt used to have on star in the middle instead of two?
Yeah but that was the rare model and we all know what Nintendo thinks of rare *points at Jungle Beat*

Sinn

Smash Lord
Diddy is already in. I'm here, asking why you people like him. What's cool about him. This has nothing to do with what "I" think. You already know what I think. I want to know what you think. What other people think. He has such a large fanbase. Why? Nobody is a fan of a character they think sucks, or is dumb, or stupid. People are fans of characters they think are cool in some way.

What's cool about Diddy?
I've read over your posts. I appreciate that you like debating and like facts. However, there are things that I do not appreciate about your posts as well.

Here are some facts:

Wikipedia said:
I enjoyed playing DKC1 & 2, both of which feature Diddy as a playable character. It should be noted however that Diddy's character has many advantages that make him better suited to many of the situations in DKC1. Diddy is a smaller character than DK, and has a smaller hit box. Combined with the fact that he moves faster than DK, this makes him more agile and maneuverable overall. Even more importantly is that there are several bonus areas that are impossible to reach without Diddy's cartwheel attack that, if performed at the edge of a platform, allows him to continue cartwheeling for a considerable distance in midair and then actually JUMP while still in midair. DK wasn't nearly as capable at this. Finally, the way in which he held barrels in the game was far more effective than DK's, as he could block enemy attacks in front of him, AND made opening up certain bonus areas easier.

These things made Diddy a very useful character that was fun to play. I liked playing as Diddy more than as DK, and for that reason liked Diddy.

DKC2 was considered an even better game than DKC1. As I would prefer to play the second game over the first, I would agree on that point. Diddy was the main character in this game, the one that I enjoyed the most in the series, and for this reason I liked Diddy.

I can't continue with examples from DK64 as I haven't played it, and therefore the game didn't add any reasons to why I like Diddy as a character, and are, as you say, irrelevant.

If the reasons I've given for liking him are not sufficient in your opinion for him being "cool" then I must request that you give us a detailed description of what you consider "cool" to consist of before I can adequately answer your question.

Now, on the subject of YOU, LightLink. You are not an idiot. Your arguments have many intelligent points. However, I see several problems with them that are detracting from your effectiveness on this thread.

First, while the majority of your points are valid, many the points themselves have been wrapped in either insults or phrases that are blatantly demeaning. I can give you quotes if you're going to argue on this, but in all honesty...there are QUITE a few instances of it in the last ten pages, and I find it hard to believe that you would deny that there have been some statements from you that could generally be considered less than civil. This is the part about you that I find most irritating and the reason that, as of this point, I have very little respect for you. You bring up that the others arguing here are not as good as you at formal debating and that you have a wealth of experience doing it. Tell me, does formal debating have this much mud slinging in it? Is it generally accepted to make personal attacks on your opponents? Is it conducive to the debate as a whole? And if the answer to any of these questions is no...then why are you doing it? You claim that you are not a troll, and I do not really see you as one, but I can easily see how others might perceive you as such. Trolling is not limited to posting offensive images, which is the only thing that you've said would label you as a troll.

Second, your actual subject in this debate is somewhat unclear. As you primarily seem to respond directly based off what the other posters have said in response to you, it appears that your main focus isn't on any particular topic, but instead on proving that you are right regardless of where the conversation wanders. In the quote I have at the top of this post you claimed that the reason you are here is to find out why people like Diddy. However, the first post I recall seeing on this thread from you was the following:
[/FONT][/I][/B]

I figured Diddy would be in Brawl. But I didn't want him in. I mostly have characters I *don't* want in, and only 3 I do want in. Diddy was top of the list of "Likely, but I really don't want you" along with King Dedede.

There goes half my hopes that.
This post, combined with much of the arguing that you've been doing, seems to indicate that your actual point in being here isn't merely to find out why Diddy is liked by many people, but to complain that his inclusion in Brawl takes chances away from the characters YOU want, and to PROVE that he takes chances away from the characters you want.

And on that note, here are some FACTS:

No one here KNOWS what actual criteria is being used for the inclusion of ANY character in Brawl. None of us are part of the game's development team, and none of us have been told what the definitive character selection process consists of. The only thing that anyone has is speculation and educated guesses as to what means they will go about to decide who is included and who is not. There is more than one way to interpret much of the information, as well as the likely existence of completely unknown factors that go into the final decision. That being said, it is not possible to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that Diddy's presence in the game will decrease the odds of any other particular character, or that it will NOT decrease these odds.

And if we cannot prove this point either way with facts, then we are merely arguing about the point based on our opinions of what we feel the information that we have about Brawl thus far says about the character selection process. So if those here arguing against you are in error by posting opinions instead of facts on this matter, please give ME some FACTS that support YOUR argument, something that the creators have told us that helps PROVE your point.

RDK

Smash Hero
I've read over your posts. I appreciate that you like debating and like facts. However, there are things that I do not appreciate about your posts as well.
I don't appreciate the fact that he's blatantly 4chan.

Also, Sinn--if you want to be considered credible in a debate, never quote Wikipedia for facts. Just letting you know.

Even though I hate to disagree with Lightlink, and do on many points, he's completely right about some characters reducing the chances of other characters being in. Sakurai doesn't just wake up one morning and go "HEY--HE WOULD MAKE A REALLY GOOD CHARACTER. I THINK I'LL PUT HIM IN, EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH, AND THE GAME IS NEAR COMPLETION."

No. He probably has a set amount of characters in mind, and most likely (note how I said most likely--I don't know, I'm not Sakuria) Sakurai and Co. plan out who they're going to use before the game is even developed. Then they build the entire game up from there. It's just common sense.

Thus, since a process of elimination is involved, and Sakurai doesn't just add every Tom, **** and John he wants, ANY CHARACTER ADDED LOWERS THE CHANCES OF ANOTHER CHARACTER BEING IN, BECAUSE THAT'S ONE LESS CHARACTER SPACE IN THE DESIGNATED AMOUNT OF CHARACTER SPACES.

SiD

Smash Master
That's not how it would work RDK. It would be stupid and innefficient to decide on an amount of characters and then fill in those slots. They decide what characters they want to be in, and that decides the final roster count. If Sakurai thought a character deserved to be in, then they'll be in. This was decided way long ago, as you stated. He had control of when the game would be released, so he could take the time to put in any characters he thought would be worth the time. Any character does not reduce any chances, with the exception of 3rd parties, which seem to work backwards.

Top Bottom