• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diamond City Coffee - Wario Social Thread

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Reflex has a whole wall of text on d-tilt frame advantage and stuff in the concept/combos thread. :happysheep:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm pretty sure there's no circumstance in which D-Tilting someone is punishable on hit; I think you're always at least neutral on frame advantage that way. It's just not always a combo to do it twice in a row.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
I'm pretty sure there's no circumstance in which D-Tilting someone is punishable on hit; I think you're always at least neutral on frame advantage that way. It's just not always a combo to do it twice in a row.
I see. Maybe D-tilt to Shield / Run Is more reliable for my idiotic situations.

Reflex has a whole wall of text on d-tilt frame advantage and stuff in the concept/combos thread. :happysheep:
Aha I found it. Thanks for the reminder!

extrasensory

Smash Cadet
so i played a sheik in my region at our monthly who has finally been developing into a pretty strong player (our region and australia in general has been very lacking in good sheiks until recently) and it went to game 5 in both our winners and loser sets mostly due to good DI from me and fatal errors on the sheik's part. needless to say i'm not feeling too confident. i'd appreciate if someone could give me a quick rundown on what i should be looking out to capitalize on and which moves i should be looking to punish on shield / powershield assuming the sheik spaces correctly. is it worth trying to call out the 50/50 kill setups from dthrow with waft? i'm generally pretty good at guessing which will come out but not sure if waft would hit.

for the record i finished 2nd/100

Last edited:

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
Sheik is hard.

Capitalize on them over extending onto you. It'll be hard considering Sheik has the tools to keep you out really damn well, but you can't really approach safely.

Stuff/shield her fair/nair, jab, tilts, etc.

That's risky. I'd just save the waft for a moment for a confirm instead of banking on it. I suppose if it's an all or nothing scenarios than why not?

You can also deal with Sheik by choosing another character that does way better in the MU but that's something some of us probably wouldn't want to do, myself included lol.

Last edited:

extrasensory

Smash Cadet
yeah figured i should mostly just stay back in this matchup, much of my gameplan was shieldgrabbing poorly spaced aerials and using bair to trade hits. which is mostly why i was considering the waft option - getting that kill confirm seems very difficult against such a safe character, nair oos is probably the best (only) option? just felt like i have a good track record guessing which option she chooses and if i guess wrong then i just get comboed and waft doesn't come out anyway (in theory).

can i get anything from spot dodging her dash grab?

i agree this matchup doesn't seem good at all but i'm a character loyalist for the most part so yeah. pray for nerfs when they release cloud i guess lol.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So... uh... thoughts on the direct?

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
>side smash longer than shulk's

time to change main

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Swordfighter once again wins the outfit competition.
Yeah I never really cared about mii outfits that much until I saw the Ashley one. I've never used miis at all outside of random single player modes, so I might buy the Ashley one and give swordsfighter a try.

Also I know it's still really early, but how do you guys think Wario fares with Cloud? I haven't tried out Cloud yet, though judging from gameplay videos it looks like his limit breaker may force Wario to approach him since it charges quicker than waft and can kill sort of early (though like I said I haven't tried him out yet).

Last edited:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
>side smash longer than shulk's

time to change main
Having played tonight, the Cloud matchup is hardly unwinable. Half of Clouds moves, when whiffed, are pure fart fodder and can be punished quite easily. Unlike Shulk, Cloud's long range moves aren't very safe and require him to take risks.

Furthermore, Cloud's recovery is straight dookie. Dookie that Wario can easily exploit, since our edge dash absolutely destroys his Up B recovery.

Seriously, edge dashing alone has me regularly gimping Clouds at 40ish percent. It doesn't stop being hilarious.

Last edited:

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Having played tonight, the Cloud matchup is hardly unwinable. Half of Clouds moves, when whiffed, are pure fart fodder and can be punished quite easily. Unlike Shulk, Cloud's long range moves aren't very safe and require him to take risks.

Furthermore, Cloud's recovery is straight dookie. Dookie that Wario can easily exploit, since our edge dash absolutely destroys his Up B recovery.

Seriously, edge dashing alone has me regularly gimping Clouds at 40ish percent. It doesn't stop being hilarious.
I was actually talking about Corrin, which looks like the bane of my existence. Long smashes and paralyze beam? srsly????

Cloud doesn't look horrible because of what you said.

Bayonetta's smashes scare me, but if she's the kind of character that has 238324792837 combos but little kill power, rage waft might help

Dar4

Smash Apprentice

I played a ton against cloud last night. I think it's slightly in Wario's favor. Important things I noted:

- Bike beats blade beam. We can go right through it, it doesn't knock wario off bike (except limit blade beam)
- Lots of cloud's moveset is punishable by our fast pokes...and waft
- Fast fall dair and dash attack owns cloud's recovery. His recovery is like a worse version of Ike's basically, easy to mess with and it's easy to get around the buster sword
- We can eat blade beam and limit blade beam
- Could seems to fall kinda fast which makes him a good target for fart setups and other nair combos.

I'd imagine this matchup is slightly in Wario's favor. The big disjoint is a pain but with cloud's lag we can deal with it in neutral with bait and punish game...and we own cloud off stage. Got to be very wary of the limit attacks though, especially the down b when you're at kill percent. These are just early impressions of course and nobody is good with Cloud yet, but it feels like an easier version of the Ike matchup to me so far. Could be completely wrong though, it will come down to how well Cloud mains end up performing in neutral. Also I'm kind of worried about us perhaps being forced to approach cloud. You don't want to give him free limits.

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta's smashes scare me, but if she's the kind of character that has 238324792837 combos but little kill power, rage waft might help
Bayonetta looks scary. She appears to have it all...speed, combos, big disjoints and projectiles. I'm also guessing that she'll be lacking in killpower to balance her. I also wonder if her recovery will be lacking.

She from that trailer though looks top tier....very sheik like.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Cloud seems like he's going to be a very annoying match up for Wario. He has disjoints, great kill power, and most of all he benefits from not approaching just as much if not better than we do.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Cloud seems like he's going to be a very annoying match up for Wario. He has disjoints, great kill power, and most of all he benefits from not approaching just as much if not better than we do.
The following is a match that happened to me. There are many matches Wario struggles with. Cloud is not one of them.

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
To be fair, that Cloud was...not really very good. He just kinda messed up, recovered poorly, then literally immediately threw himself off of the edge and set himself up to die in the exact same way.

Athough I did actually fight a much better Cloud as Wario earlier tonight, and...as long as you avoid the actual sword, you can more or less just poke him out of his recovery with Dair. Once all of the Cloud mains catch onto the fact that his recovery is poop on a stick though, and start focusing more on stage control, I imagine this matchup will get a lot harder.

Bayonetta looks scary. She appears to have it all...speed, combos, big disjoints and projectiles. I'm also guessing that she'll be lacking in killpower to balance her. I also wonder if her recovery will be lacking.

She from that trailer though looks top tier....very sheik like.
Let's not forget about the combo she did on Rosalina where she knocked her forwards and then summoned a giant EEEVIIIIIIL hand to dunk her over the edge. From near center stage. ON THE GROUND.

Only truly dark, vile and OP sorcery could allow for the sort of merciless kill combos with which this child of the dankest shadows will menace our 1-v-1s. Not even Ganondorf possesses that kind of dark and disrespectful power.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Does Wario's dash attack ledge trip thing always work on Cloud? I've done it before but there are times where I get hit by the sword instead. I think Cloud's body has to be close to the ledge otherwise it won't work.

SoopaDerpcat

Smash Cadet
I've fought a few more Clouds as Wario, and I think I have a better idea of how the matchup goes. Some notable points are:

- Cloud's Up-B is in fact very gimpable, but it can also be quite dangerous to try and gimp. If you don't dodge the blade properly you'll get knocked pretty high and won't have time to get back down to the stage before Cloud gets on.

- Another notable thing about his recovery is that, even if you gimp him to the point where he can't recover, he can STILL use it to drag you down and take your stock along with his.

- Cloud's dash attack seems to have invincibility on the sword, meaning that many things we'd do to try and approach (bike, non-committed Fair, rising Dair) can be blocked and punished with a simple dash attack. While I'm not sure, it seems like it might even go through Chomp.

- Characters who have both good maneuverability and good power are good against Wario, at least in my experience. Cloud is one of those characters.

- Cloud ALSO has a ton of range. Much, much more than Wario.

- Sword Beam seems to act as a large projectile, meaning Wario will take much longer to eat it with Chomp. And Cloud is fast. So don't even think about chomping his sword beams.

- Cloud can edgeguard pretty hard. With two aerials that spike and a Down Smash that can cover 3 ledge getups when properly spaced, he's a force to be reckoned with and you'll probably want to stay pretty close to center stage, but once the opportunity arises, it's a good idea to try and gimp his recovery with a Dair from above (this bypasses both of Cloud's spikes.) YOU really want to be the one to get HIM offstage.

Last edited:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Does Wario's dash attack ledge trip thing always work on Cloud? I've done it before but there are times where I get hit by the sword instead. I think Cloud's body has to be close to the ledge otherwise it won't work.
Just make sure you connect with the sourspot properly and you'll be fine. The only way Cloud can use his Up B to recover against the dash is to have a little distance between himself and the platform to recover. He'll magnetically grab the ledge despite not being quite in range to get hit by the dash attack.

By the way, the dash attack also works on the Limit break up B, the timing is just a little more strict because he travels faster, obviously.

Also, you can eat both of his sword beams, limit break or not. If he shoots a limit break sword beam at you, and jumping would be ill advised, it's better to eat it than block it since blocking all the hits take longer than eating the beam. Plus, most Clouds don't expect you to be able to do that.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Happy Holidays, everybody! Hopefully you guys managed to stay off the naughty list this year.
A while back my sister went to a convention in Halifax, and bought me an awesome print. And this christmas, I got the perfect frame for it.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Happy Holidays, everybody! Hopefully you guys managed to stay off the naughty list this year.
A while back my sister went to a convention in Halifax, and bought me an awesome print. And this christmas, I got the perfect frame for it. -snip-
A real Wario main is always on the naughty list!
Also that is freaking awesome!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Merry Christmas to everyone as well! Santa certainly went above and beyond this year.

What did you guys get?

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
I'm in love with wario, every move is useful. FINALLY! Now if I can just stop forgetting all of them XD

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Solo :4dedede: main here. After almost a year of just playing Dadeldingo I finally decided to pick up Wario as my secondary. Mainly bc MLG and I was in the crowd during Reflex's match with Ryo. Easily the hypest set of the tournament besides Nairo winning. Annnyway yeah, so I thought I would just drop in and say 'Wazzam' really quick since I hadn't done so yet.

Wazzaaaamm.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Solo :4dedede: main here. After almost a year of just playing Dadeldingo I finally decided to pick up Wario as my secondary. Mainly bc MLG and I was in the crowd during Reflex's match with Ryo. Easily the hypest set of the tournament besides Nairo winning. Annnyway yeah, so I thought I would just drop in and say 'Wazzam' really quick since I hadn't done so yet.

Wazzaaaamm.
I did almost the same thing. I solo mained Dedede the first 8 months the game was out, then picked up Wario. Been using him ever since as my primary main. Sadly not using a whole lot of Dedede anymore. Usually I go all Wario in tourney unless I face another heavy then I'll bust out Dedede.

Seems like for some reason Dedede mains often pick up Wario and vice versa. They're both very goofy characters. Maybe that's why.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I want Wario to win G3 smash 64. I want to hear that the winner is Wario.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
So how high did a Wario main place? Pretty dissapointing to see him nowhere in top 32
I was looking for Reflex but didn't see his name anywhere so I guess he didn't go. Abadango was there but I don't think he played any Wario, seems to have dropped him completely at this point.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Reflex decided to go for free money to a local instead of Genesis and Abadango dropped Wario a looong time ago as well as Pacman.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Abadango, I don't think he dislikes Wario/Pacman or that he thinks they aren't viable (he rated them moderately high on his tier list), not that anyone is claiming this. I think he'd rather try to assure the potential to be at the top of nationals by playing a top tier character like MK. I've always thought that Wario is used best as a co-main character, and that's how Abadango had used him. Also, and I haven't watched enough of his MK to be sure, but maybe he didn't like being campy with Wario and Pacman, because with both characters I thought he was campier than old Dabuz.

IMO Reflex seriously should have been on the compendium, he'd have been better than DJJack or Ice who has been on every compendium in existence.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
KiT was a regional with 80+ entrants, including the best in FL and TN. I didn't have the money for Genesis.

That said, I won Smash 4 and stumbled into winning Project M!

Little Z

Smash Rookie
Was KiT streamed at all? If so, on which channel so I can look up the vod.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Yo Reflex if you went to KiT will you go to WTFox? since the next WTFox is hosting Sm4sh I can come up and we can do Wario dittos and stuff.

Top Bottom