• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diamond City Coffee - Wario Social Thread

Twewy

Smash Lord
So I'm playing my first tournament today and I'm gonna primarily be playing Wario. Really damn nervous.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
So I'm playing my first tournament today and I'm gonna primarily be playing Wario. Really damn nervous.
Good luck!!

The joys of being a Wario main :laugh:

Has anyone else ever been ridiculed for using Wario (whether it be online or at an actual tourney)?
I've yet to receive any nasty messages, but I'm pretty sure I piss people off when they're kinda sandbaggin on me late in the last stock with under 10 seconds and I waft for the unforeseen win. (Online, obviously)

And some people can't figure out how to get past a bite wall while they're hanging on the ledge. That's gotta be frustrating for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twewy

Smash Lord
I didn't take the tournament, but I placed 19th/tied for 17th in singles and was the only Wario there. I did get the farthest out of my group of friends though, in both doubles and singles.

So many damn Clouds...

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I didn't take the tournament, but I placed 19th/tied for 17th in singles and was the only Wario there. I did get the farthest out of my group of friends though, in both doubles and singles.

So many damn Clouds...
I've been wondering about Cloud a lot lately (wow I sounded like ZeRo there...). Cloud is everywhere in tournaments, by far the most common character I'm seeing now. I imagine it's because he's top tier and very easy to play. Is the Wario/Cloud matchup really that bad? Is this character really killing Wario's viability? At my locals and from my experiences on Anther's ladder it sure doesn't feel that bad but everyone is telling me the matchup is one of the worst in game and I need to get a secondary for it. Just very confused.

I have a good DK I could use for Cloud but DK/Cloud feels about the same to me as Wario/Cloud and at this point my DK is not quite as good as my Wario. Maybe I just haven't played enough good Clouds. Or maybe the matchup gets significantly worse at high levels? I'd consider myself a mid level player, and against other players I believe are around my skill level I'm not having any particular issues. Feels pretty even or only slightly in Cloud's favor. There's plenty of other matchups I'd rather not see over Cloud.

Last edited:

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
High level Cloud's will have an easier time fighting against us thanks to his options he can pull out in neutral. Cloud can also camp us with the limit charger, while we're forced to approach, which Wario isn't good at.

Cloud also out range Wario so hard with his 420 meter Blazing Sword. It isn't easy for Wario to deal with that in the air. Also Cloud has his waft much faster than our waft, which is also stupid.

Cloud's only weakness is fighting offstage, which Wario is very good at in for this MU. Cloud can't really stay offstage for too long or else he'll die if his limit isn't there to save him.

Wario will probably end up with a few options in neutral and sadly those aren't Wario's greatest options (Except offstage).

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I drove down to CFL Smackdown yesterday. Placed 13/76, decent but not great. Lost in winners to Dewdadash's :4diddy: (placed 4th). He was my ride and we both were seeded poorly. I've never been so outplayed in my life. I couldn't be mad though. I tried to run up and shield too much, anticipating f-air and he only really used f-air as an anti-air. I think this MU is terrible and really want to see a :4wario2: consistently play this right. My style of play may soft-counter one :4diddy:, but it certainly didn't work on my friend. I also got a lot of roll reads, but he kept powershielding my attacks (he buffered shield out of roll) and getting shield grabs, because :4diddy:'s roll is good. Aside from that, I beat a:4cloud:, :4dk:, :4charizard:, a:4falcon: barely, and a:4zss:, and barely lost to a:4bayonetta: in losers. The :4bayonetta: player from what I heard isn't even good, but he placed 9th.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I went to a big tourney in Delaware last Saturday. Beat a :4falco: but then got destroyed by BlazingPasta's :4ness:. Afterwords in loser's I beat two different :4sonic:'s in a row, then barely lost to a :4feroy:. I'm still salty about losing to the Roy because we each had like 150% on our last stocks but he got me with an up-throw (especially considering that I beat the :4charizard: and :4diddy: players in friendlies that the Roy would fought had he not lost to the Charizard). Placed 17/82 though I could have done better.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
High level Cloud's will have an easier time fighting against us thanks to his options he can pull out in neutral. Cloud can also camp us with the limit charger, while we're forced to approach, which Wario isn't good at.

Cloud also out range Wario so hard with his 420 meter Blazing Sword. It isn't easy for Wario to deal with that in the air. Also Cloud has his waft much faster than our waft, which is also stupid.

Cloud's only weakness is fighting offstage, which Wario is very good at in for this MU. Cloud can't really stay offstage for too long or else he'll die if his limit isn't there to save him.

Wario will probably end up with a few options in neutral and sadly those aren't Wario's greatest options (Except offstage).
I've started to echo this. I played in a local this past weekend and got 5th, which I was somewhat happy with. Luckily only had to play one Cloud.

But yeah I think I'm done trying to play Wario in this matchup. I thought it was maybe doable but after getting a bunch more experience the past few weeks against really good Clouds I now believe it's just stupid (35:65 Cloud favor at best for us) and it requires a secondary. Cloud stuffs Wario out with his ridiculous hitboxes and lack of significant lag on his aerials all day. Other swordies like Marth/Ike/Lucina/Roy/Corrin/Shulk never bother me at all because they have a fair amount of lag which I can get bob and weave to get around. I don't have issues getting in. Cloud's ratio of lag to his disjoint size is stupidly skewed in his favor. Getting in is just a nightmare.

Wario is usually forced to approach because of limit camping and can't. Getting a good Cloud in a position offstage to edgeguard is quite difficult. Yeah we can do things off stage but getting him in position for an edgeguard is difficult. it usually requires us to force Cloud to Up B, and if Cloud has his double jump or limit you really can't do much to him if the Cloud knows what they're doing when it comes to recovery. Cloud's recovery is underrated, there's plenty of characters easier to edgeguard. The size of his disjoint on his Up B is so dumb.

I've been trying to figure out this matchup and can't find anything that makes me think it's doable. The size of his disjoints are just nuts.

This character is really stupid. Cloud is ridiculously easy to play, counters Wario hard, and is top tier and it seems like half of people going to tourneys now main him because of the low effort to high reward he presents. And everyone has a pocket Cloud. I know this post has turned into a rant but I can't help it. Cloud is just so frustrating.

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
***** WARNING! CLOUD SALT AHEAD *****

Cloud made me contemplate quitting Sm4sh just because of how much he ruined the enjoyment of the game. Whenever I played in tournaments I never expect to place super well. I play Sm4sh competitively because I like playing the game. When Cloud starting flooding my locals and online tourneys, I just didn't want to play anymore. Cloud is simply NOT FUN for me to fight. He has great mobility, great range, he's insanely safe, and he's goddamn BRAINDEAD. Whenever I cleanly lose to a Diddy, Ness, or even Sheik I simply feel I got outplayed. Against Cloud I just think to myself "Well that was freaking stupid". Thankfully after I took a bit of a break from Sm4sh the Cloud hype died down, but my salt didn't subside.

Twewy

Smash Lord
***** WARNING! CLOUD SALT AHEAD *****

Cloud made me contemplate quitting Sm4sh just because of how much he ruined the enjoyment of the game. Whenever I played in tournaments I never expect to place super well. I play Sm4sh competitively because I like playing the game. When Cloud starting flooding my locals and online tourneys, I just didn't want to play anymore. Cloud is simply NOT FUN for me to fight. He has great mobility, great range, he's insanely safe, and he's goddamn BRAINDEAD. Whenever I cleanly lose to a Diddy, Ness, or even Sheik I simply feel I got outplayed. Against Cloud I just think to myself "Well that was freaking stupid". Thankfully after I took a bit of a break from Sm4sh the Cloud hype died down, but my salt didn't subside.
I'm not even kidding when I say that half of my singles pools mained Cloud or had a pocket Cloud. Three out of the seven players I went with played Cloud as well, and my doubles partner was a Cloud main.

Cloud is one of those characters that's really fun to play but a real pain to fight, and it's a bit disappointing he's taken over the low-mid level meta. There was only one Bayo at that tournament.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm finally moving into a new apartment tomorrow. Should be able to get decent sleep, be social in this new city, and have internet worthy of streaming.

And, yeah, the new DLC is awful for character diversity. Makes me dislike the game more, for sure.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Honestly I'll probably wait for a Cloud nerf before entering another tournament, which I'm okay with as currently most of the time I play Smash I'm messing around with Samus and Ryu. I still play a lot of Wario though, for sure.

Sadly I don't play Smash as much when I'm playing video games. I'm addicted to 100% Orange Juice and Dark Souls lately so those take up my gaming time.

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
What other games have you guys been playing? I've just finished MGSV: Phantom Pain and I'm playing Life is Strange now.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
What other games have you guys been playing? I've just finished MGSV:phantom Pain and I'm playing Life is Strange now.
Like I said, 100% Orange Juice. I'm in an abusive relationship with RNG but it feels so good.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What other games have you guys been playing? I've just finished MGSV: Phantom Pain and I'm playing Life is Strange now.
I've been playing the crap out of the King of Fighter games on Steam (98, 2002, and XIII) so I can get ready for KoF XIV (yeah I know it looks like a PS2 game but the actual gameplay looks fun).

Twewy

Smash Lord
I've been playing the crap out of the King of Fighter games on Steam (98, 2002, and XIII) so I can get ready for KoF XIV (yeah I know it looks like a PS2 game but the actual gameplay looks fun).
I never got into King of Fighters, when it came to traditional fighting games I preferred Guilty Gear and Marvel Vs. Capcom. Is it any fun?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I never got into King of Fighters, when it came to traditional fighting games I preferred Guilty Gear and Marvel Vs. Capcom. Is it any fun?
It's a bit different than other fighting games (2 punches/kicks instead of 3, rolling, 3-on-3 battles where you switch when you die as opposed to switching at any time in MvC), though you can still transfer your knowledge from other fighting games to KoF. Personally I think it's fun though I don't think it's as popular in the U.S. (for some reason KoF is extremely popular in Mexico), though this may change when KoF XIV comes out. If you want to get into the series, any of the three I mentioned on Steam are good starting points (assuming you have a controller). I suggest watching a few videos on them so you can get an idea of what they're like.

How is Guilty Gear? I've been wanting to get into that series for a while. Which game is the best to start with?

Twewy

Smash Lord
I was a casual Guilty Gear player, I've only played X2 and XX Accent Core. They're the same game but Accent Core added three characters and I think Story Mode was gone. Really fun, I like the fast pace.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Went to a tournament yesterday. I managed to get 5th place in Sm4sh singles with about 35 entrants. It ran a bit late and I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it, but I still had a whole bunch of fun.

Spookghetti

Smash Rookie
NNID
SkeletonScammer
Doing my first Smash tourney tomorrow morning, if i win the first round i`ll either face Proctavia or Fusion.

Wish me luck, fellow Warios!

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to share my perspective on :4wario: as a melee player.

There are people who like to focus on maximizing, what I'd call, the physical aspect of their character. For example, people might play characters like Fox/Mario/Diddy (Or any character), and can get very far competitively just by learning "cookie-cutter"/"bread-and-butter" air-dodge traps, combos, and mixing options up in neutral. An example you might all be familiar with is Yoshi jabbing/d-tilting you off stage and trying to get a cheesy f-air to cover a panic jump; however, Yoshi specifically suffers competitively at the intermediate level with this degenerate style of gameplay, because everyone knows about it. The intermediate-level, yet still flawed, counterplay for Yoshi is to fast fall f-air if they know you won't jump, but that's still not guaranteed or good option coverage. These two scenario's I label as physical and not mental, because it doesn't really require a high level of thinking. What I would classify as mental is maybe* throwing an egg/limit their options/ frame trap them or using MU knowledge to apply a more appropriated edge-guard. Other characters can get really far with more advanced "physical" exploits like this that are far more complex/situational and more potent if people do not know the match-up; however it still remains cookie-cutter, it might just not seem like it. Ike/ZSS are examples of this, in my opinion. I'm not saying they can't do hard reads, play mental, or that they don't take skill, but they are noob slayers (as I see it) with deep bags of tricks.

As funny as it sounds I've seen Wario players, including myself, attempt to abuse the poor physical aspect of Wario's gameplay, leading to low or intermediate-level results. If one were to try to maximize Wario's physical gameplay, and minimize the mental aspect of Wario's gameplay, it would look something like running away the entire time, trying to make use of f-air's disjoint in neutral way too much, and throwing out bike and subsequently landing with d-air way too much. Basically me when I first got into this game: I never empty hopped, pivot grabbed, or tried to abuse active powershielding. I would just throw out the occasional hitbox in the direction the opponent was relative to my position and then fade away. To an extent, I still do this more often than I should. I try to fall back entirely on Wario's physical capabilities, because I'm afraid to do attempt anything intelligent/non-intuitive/mental.

Coming from melee, a game where physical tech can carry someone extremely far with Falco/Sheik/Peach/etc., learning how to properly dissect neutral was not something I was ever told to emphasize my time on. Because all moves are safer on shield, attacking the opponent directly is more emphasized (at least, at the intermediately level), than attacking where you think the opponent will move to. The only reason I chose to play this game was because I wanted to see Wario played consistently at a high level like he was in Brawl, and that I wanted to adventure through the growth of his meta until its death. One of the first things I did when trying to take Wario/Smash 4 seriously was learning the frame advantage on spot-dodging a grab in order to half waft. This, while extremely useful in a physical sense, did not help me improve that much as a player and has only been useful to me about 5 times. While I believe analyzing the physical aspects of Wario's gameplay is important, I believe maximizing the mental aspects/having good fundamentals is the ONLY solution to getting good consistent results with this character. This is what makes Wario very different from other characters. I've watched 2 of the best Warios from Brawl play this character quite a bit. Time after time they would make extremely cerebral plays I myself would never do, from using n-air in quirky ways that could cover rolls/spot-dodge to walking up and using up-tilt.

No character in melee parallels Wario's abysmal "physical" neutral game and high-level-limited viability except :yoshimelee:, who I also happen to play. From playing both games, it has become clear to me that it is I who needs to master the neutral game, and not rely on my characters to do it for me. Literally any top player could probably pick up Wario and do better than any of us dedicated Wario mains, simply because of how deep their understanding is of the game. This is why top Wario mains show proficiency with many other characters they immediately pick up, because they immediately know what to do with the tools the character has.

I wrote this to save people the time I wasted (focusing way too much on Wario's physical potential), and to maybe give vision to newer Wario players who might not understand why their dedication to the game may not pay off as immediately as their friends who are playing as different characters. I'm not the best player, but I see clearer than day where I and many Wario's are failing, and that is not focusing enough on what really matters to play Wario successfully.

PlatinumRobo

Smash Rookie
NNID
PlatinumRobo
Will there ever be another Wario Land game? Another game similar to Shake It would be great, did that game sell well?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Overalls Wario amiibo confirmed.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Anyone else feel like this E3 was pretty meh? Only like four games caught my attention out of the three/four conferences I paid attention to.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Anyone else feel like this E3 was pretty meh? Only like four games caught my attention out of the three/four conferences I paid attention to.
I liked a few of the games Sony showcased such as Detroit Become Human, which looks a lot like Heavy Rain. The only game from the Microsoft presentation that I want is Dead Rising 4.

As of this writing, Nintendo's is still going on, but so far it's been pretty disappointing.

The Pokemon part was longer than it should have been, and didn't really show us anything that we didn't know aside from the Battle Royale mode and a few new Pokemon (which look good tbh). We got a new Mario Party which will probably be decent at best, and a release date for Color Splash which I'm pretty sure no one wants at this point. The only things that really stood out for me were the new Zelda (which looks amazing) and the new amiibo. I know that Zelda and Pokemon were the main focus of Nintendo's E3, but I still wish they could have showed off more games. It's not as bad as last year's conference, but it's pretty close.

Twewy

Smash Lord
We Happy Few looked interesting, and from the Sony conference only thing that caught my eye was Crash and RE7. I didn't catch Kojima's new project. And even RE7 looks questionable, it's not my tank controls so I probably won't like it.

So for me it's been:
Dead Rising 4
We Happy Few
Crash Remastered
South Park Fractured But Hole
Zelda

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman

I like this pose a LOT more than the Bike alt. amiibo, even though I prefer the Bike alt. design. On a side note, the Boo amiibo is pretty cute/funny xD.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
I like this pose a LOT more than the Bike alt. amiibo, even though I prefer the Bike alt. design. On a side note, the Boo amiibo is pretty cute/funny xD.
But what if they made a Wario amiibo with a Shoulder Bash pose?

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157

While I do like his Smash one. This one just looks way better tho, love that Wario pose lol. Can't wait to get it. Very glad that were getting his overall amiibo. Now if only they could release a Captain Toad amiibo.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well Nintendo showed their new IP that they were hinting about, which is Ever Oasis. It looks similar to Fantasy Life and Animal Crossing, so I might try it out.

They also showed some more Paper Mario: Color Splash footage, which still looks like it'll end up being another Sticker Star. I really hate how Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash make it like paper Toads are the only characters in the game. I know they're important and all, but what happened to the original characters such as Kooper and Goombella?

Also, Nintendo showed the box art for Mario Party: Star Rushed, which is literally a copy and pasted image from a mario-themed spaghettios can.

I think it speaks for itself.

This year's E3 for Nintendo wasn't as bad as the one last year, but it still felt very underwhelming.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
This year's E3 for Nintendo wasn't as bad as the one last year, but it still felt very underwhelming.
I thought Nintendo's E3 was really disappointing for Wii U owners. They're pushing the Wii U under the rug so hard, looks like there won't be any major nintendo releases for it at all in the future (zelda is dual release with the NX). And the NX doesn't come out until march 2016....I was hoping for atleast 2 or 3 more 1st party releases before the Wii U was done.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hello Wario mains.

Could someone tell me what frame Wario's Bike spawns on? KuroganeHammer says -20 for the active hit box but I have seen Wario's spawn the box mid combo string and I was wondering if this happens on F1.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
Hello Wario mains.

Could someone tell me what frame Wario's Bike spawns on? KuroganeHammer says -20 for the active hit box but I have seen Wario's spawn the box mid combo string and I was wondering if this happens on F1.
Bike should spawn somewhere on frame 2~ ish. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Any else playing Overwatch? As a former TF2 addict this game has absolutely consumed my life.

If any of you play on PC, my Battlenet id is ZeGlasses#1478

Twewy

Smash Lord
Nah, but I played TF2 for the first time in months today to get ready for the upcoming update. I'm really glad they're doing Heavy Vs. Pyro because Heavy is my favorite class.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I never played Overwatch, though it looks really fun. Sadly my crappy laptop probably won't be able to run it.

I stopped playing TF2 about a year ago, though the new update looks interesting. I really hope Heavy wins because in all of my 1,400+ hours of playing, I've only played Pyro for like 3 hours.

Twewy

Smash Lord
It's funny because I subbed for Pyro in my old UGC Highlander team but I hardly play him, especially compared to Heavy. So obviously I'm voting Heavy. He's my favorite class and any Unusual I got was for him.

Top Bottom