• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diamond City Coffee - Wario Social Thread

T

Trick or Treat

I'm really trying to add Wario to my group of mains. Right now he is a secondary, or maybe a thirdary. I do well with him sometimes but it is mostly me being lucky. :p

Still a better pair than peach and mario.
Waluigi x Daisy anyone?

Although Wario could fit too. Daisy's my gal so I have to approve.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I was thinking: Do you guys think Wario's Down Throw could be a Ground Pound reference?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No, because there's no trademark flip, and lots of characters have a similar attack. Link's D-Throw, for instance.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about d-throw, I thought it might reference his wario land ground pound (which I don't think he flips for as opposed to the hip drop from mario party), but it's too short if you ask me, but I've always wondered if up-b had anything to do with the wario spirals out of courses in Wario Land/World. It's probably not. I have had this belief DLC costumes will come out and wario's gameboy color scheme will return ;.;.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about d-throw, I thought it might reference his wario land ground pound (which I don't think he flips for as opposed to the hip drop from mario party), but it's too short if you ask me, but I've always wondered if up-b had anything to do with the wario spirals out of courses in Wario Land/World. It's probably not. I have had this belief DLC costumes will come out and wario's gameboy color scheme will return ;.;.
His Up B, while looking different, is the Corcscrew from Wario World :)

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I think Wario is in the top five for teams characters in smash 4.
1. Command grab is stupidly easy to land, and my partner (a yoshi) always follows up with up air since he knows the 45 degree angle. Yeah, the teammate of the person you are biting can hit you from behind, but it usually hits their trapped teammate, and it's really funny if you're facing their teammate because then they sorta just have to watch, jump over you, or wait. B-reversals also work well because the person you reverse and grab probably thought you were going for a bair or that you were occupied fighting the other opponent (since you were facing away).
2. Waft setups and even random wafts become easy to land (especially if you have a teammate with low angle throws, then I think you're guaranteed the waft). You might even be able to extend the waft on villager's tree planted near a ledge, but I've never tested this.
3. I haven't tried this strategy yet, and it's really gimmicky, but you can probably eat bombs and have the eating-bomb-hitbox actually do something.
4. Something I constantly do in the 2 v. 1, either I cover ledge options with bite while partner covers roll or the reverse (free waft if they roll).
5. Have your partner know to always shield when you bike across stage, because even if they get grabbed you can still hit the opponent (unless they get enough time to react and start a throw which activates invincibility) or even land a wheelie if you feel it's a good choice.
6. Up+b, I know I sound like an idiot condoning this move, but it's pretty useful at times especially if you're near both opponents.
7. Wario is good in the 2 v. 1 or 1 v. 2 because of his waft camping/mobility to get opponents to hit each other, however it probably depends on the characters you're fighting. For example if it's 2 falcons, just take your own stock and say "nope."

If he's not top five he's definitely top 10

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I was thinking: Do you guys think Wario's Down Throw could be a Ground Pound reference?
While Wairo does lack Wario Land representation (The Shoulder Bash would be enough :'( ), Wario does indeed have a lot of hidden representation. Very nice.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I think Wario in doubles could be most effective as a stock tank. Since he already gets rewarded for playing passive. His airspeed and weight also seem to compliment the playstyle well.

I personally don't like to play Wario in doubles. I just don't find it fun. I prefer to play Mario or Luigi.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Why do you wish it was lighter? Does it annoy you during gameplay?

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Curious to know but do you guys go to offline tournies? And if so, how do you normally place?
I go to random tournies myself and usually get 2nd or 1st.

Not trying to brag or anything, I just wanted to know how my fellow Wah mains were doing out there.

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
I go to these monthlies in my local scene and have always got 1st in singles and doubles. Only got 2nd in two smaller tournaments.

I try to go to Versus Gaming Center in FL as much as I can so that I can play with the South Florida crew. I've placed 9th, 4th, and 13th recently (I am confident I could have made top 8 if I didn't meet my bracket demon early on in losers). I went to another Florida tourney in which some of the SFL players went to and placed 5th, being very close to getting the upset twice.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It probably doesn't count but I placed 2nd in a tournament at my high school earlier this year using only Wario (there was about 40 other people). I don't live near any areas where tournaments are held regularly, though there is one coming up at my University sometime in October. I doubt I'll have as much success though :c.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
I don't live near any areas where tournaments are held regularly, though there is one coming up at my University sometime in October.
>Location: New Jersey

Dude what?
Also go for it man, even if you lose it's always a fun time to play friendlies and hang out.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
>Location: New Jersey

Dude what?
I live in South Jersey and I don't really hear about that many serious tournaments in the area (I checked the tournament listings for NJ and for the most part they seem to all be in North Jersey). Plus I don't even have a car yet and I doubt my parents would drive me all the way up there for a video game tournament.

But yeah I'm still gonna give it a try. I've definitely improved since last time so it might not be that bad.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Oh South Jersey, that's different lol.

I understand the driving issues though, I'm still plagued by driving issues myself.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
:4wario2:OBEY ME, WARIO! I AM YOUR MAS- *shot*

In all seriousness, Wario has pretty much become my third main only topped by Villager and Pac-Man. Still wish he had actual varied custom moves though... Sakurai, You wasted so much potential with that.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If anyone's interested, I recreated Hall of Hieroglyphs (first level) as well as the first boss from Wario Land 4 in Super Mario Maker. It was tough incorporating certain elements into the level (such as no shoulder bash) but I think it turned out alright. I might try recreating other Wario Land levels in the future so feel free to request any.

Code:
(1613-0000-0053-7F79)

Making this level makes me really wish there was a Wario Maker...

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sweet level dude, I made a WL1 Stage a while back, it's based off the first level.
(Code if you wanna try: 3CDF-0000-0029-4230)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I was looking at the all of the different Project M palette swaps and I noticed Wario is one of the only characters that doesn't have a new costume.

So it got me wondering, if Wario had a new alternate costume in Smash 4, what would you want it to be?

Personally I'd love it if he had his WarioWare D.I.Y. attire available to wear.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I was playing an really intense set (for me) the other day with a great rising peach player (probably best in Florida considering he's beaten Poltergust, Ryo, and Day in sets) (which has boiled completely, and I mean absolutely, down to not f-air-ing until peach is at high percents [you will get nair-ed for a nasty 7% for 13% trade at low percents if you try to combo and don't fade away, run towards (you don't have to run towards you could just crawl backwards) turn-around (not run turn-around cancel) short hop b-air, and bike or f-air to waft, d-air is stupid to go for unless you're trading with her opening the umbrella on recovery] also if you stale your fair it will completely lose to peach's fair [Isn't that peachy?]) and anyway, this troll yelled "Do the shoulder bash!" and I turned around and yelled jokingly "Shut the h*ll up." A new guy asked him, "What's a shoulder bash?" and he's like "Something Wario can't do." We're friends, I was just upset I had to play so lame for so long and those were the perfect words to troll me at the time.

By the way, I'd like to rant on endlessly about why I love this vomit-inducing match-up where 20% of my games result in timeouts and I have to go "Hurry Up!" mode for 6 minute's straight, incessantly hopping around like a Sea-World Tourist Attraction :086:, where if I miss the waft, I virtually go 100% "DOH I MISSED"-mode and desperately look at the timer to see if I'm given 55 seconds grace to another chance of succeeding in life. But instead, I'll leave you with this. Wario's OOS options on peach can be described as that of a poorman's Little Mac's OOS options. So, I wrote this for a friend, he asked me why, and I told him my OOS options are like his main's (Mac), but seemingly worse for this particular match-up.

http://smashboards.com/threads/essential-knowledge-for-fighting-against-peach.418058/

(As of right now, I'm only taking 20-30% of our games despite how hard I've tried labbing)

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I try to go local tournaments whenever I can, but I have to do really local since I have no car and rely on drives. The tournaments I go to generally get an attendance total of 30-45 people.

I usually place no less than 8th, and I'm pretty much the only high level Wario main in my area. I've actually become somewhat infamous for how I do so well with such an uncommon character, I've become "that Wario guy". It's also pretty funny seeing these college students using high tiers being 2-stocked by this tiny-ass nerd using Wario. I don't really intend to win, I only really go for a chance to play Smash in-person.

Routa

Smash Lord
It's also pretty funny seeing these college students using high tiers being 2-stocked by this tiny-*** nerd using Wario.
Wow
That is pretty brutal...

I don't really intend to win...
Woah brah... Don't say that out loud... I mean first you break their body... And next their spirit? These guys may read this thread. I mean they might pull down your pants! Protect your "Wa!" underwear!

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
It's pretty funny. I remember at this one tournament there was this Dedede tournament. He managed to knock 2 of my friends into the loser's bracket, and they warned me about him. Lo and behold, I face him in bracket. I look 12(and I'm actually 16), so he tried to act all nice with this condescending voice. First match I win very convincingly, he acts a bit annoyed, but we move on to the next match. He manages to take my first stock, and taunts even though it was incredibly basic kill. I still pull out a convincing finish with a 80% waft kill. He storms off and mumbles out "good game" and storms off without shaking my hand.

Chomp also makes people incredibly salty, and it's hilarious.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
If Wario had Pokemon team who would he have?

I'd think :110: and:094: and :143:, but I feel he'd need one with a shoulder bash.

What do you guys think? lol

Routa

Smash Lord
Hmmm.... Odd question... So 4-6 pokemons?

Rotom (love for food)
Skuntank (style and the smell)
Accelgor (love for speed)
and maybe Toxicroak (playing dirty).

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm thinking Sneasel, Pancham and Golbat would be fitting. (I'm assuming this is anime-style where he's not min/maxing for fully-evolved stuff.)

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
Wario's mega pkmn would be swampert? Maybe even Sableye for a rage-inducing approach

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I went on a somewhat jokingly rant today at my weekly about how much I hate Mario.

Has anyone noticed they take out WarioWare and put in Super Mario Maker. I love both stages, but just think about it. Today me and my usual teammate went as team "F*** Mario" but was forced to change it to team "Nerf Mario."

I got to apply my spot-dodge to half-charge waft on a Ness (For ness it's guaranteed upon a successful spotdodge, and we all know ness likes playing grab bag near edge) and was really happy about that, because I'm not a huge fan of fighting Ness. I also got a spot-dodge waft on Ike's dash attack. Spot-dodge haft-waft probably works on every dash attack in the game except multi-hits or meta knights. I should probably lab that our for you guys as well... Regardless, we beat the best team in our town (we got lucky, what else can I say?), and I'm like I don't even care, I just want to get as far as I can for the world to know I want Mario nerfed. It's interesting how my hate for Mario had me playing better, the true spirit of Wario maybe, maybe I became Wario? I don't think Mario's completely broken, he's just the bane of my existence in every smash game I play. Btw, his aerial mobility is near Wario's.

https://youtu.be/t8sZ1wpBC8U?t=13m17s (13:20) (ness)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsaruX6oe58 (11:56)

Remember friends, if you ever want to talk about how much you hate Mario, I'll be at your side to hear you all the way. No tears, only dreams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom