• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Kal

Smash Champion
DRM murdered my father! And ***** my mother!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Blizzard's been doing this **** for years, and not just with Diablo 3.

Also, kinda-sorta in Blizzard's defense, but isn't there a certain amount of preparation and logistics involved when it comes to the servers? I don't think it's as easy as flipping a switch or something asinine like that. After all, the game is totally online (bull**** as that is); if you've played WoW in any capacity you'd know of the dreaded "launch days" prior to Cata (oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord) and that kinda bottlenecking could be a means of controlling the flood of people jumping online.

I do agree with the bit about digital ownership, and I'm not disputing that; I'm just trying to see if there's another side to it.

Smooth Criminal

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think release night will be pretty stable tbh. there might be a que at some points but it won't ever be anything like WoW where the game is unplayable because there's 400 people in your near vicinity.

Kal

Smash Champion
Oh, I'm sure there is some degree of preparation that must be made in order to set up the server. The way I see it, Blizzard needs to account for this in some meaningful way so that people who buy the game can play it when they get it. If this can only be done by creating a single player mode, so be it.

Jem.

Smash Master
If you don't have a solid internet connection by 2012, you have more things wrong than that you cant play Diablo 3.

And Blizzard is located on the west coast. What is so hard to understand? Why would they want East Coast/etc playing before their home turf? Although I read that places like Taiwan get to place 12-16 hours early and theres a lot of complaints about that, but I dont mind

And they dont have offline for Diablo 3 for the same reason SC2 has no LAN. They dont want people pirating/hacking them. Have you ever entered a Diablo 2 game in the last 9-10 years? Bots are everywhere.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
If you don't have a solid internet connection by 2012, you have more things wrong than that you cant play Diablo 3.

And Blizzard is located on the west coast. What is so hard to understand? Why would they want East Coast/etc playing before their home turf? Although I read that places like Taiwan get to place 12-16 hours early and theres a lot of complaints about that, but I dont mind

And they dont have offline for Diablo 3 for the same reason SC2 has no LAN. They dont want people pirating/hacking them. Have you ever entered a Diablo 2 game in the last 9-10 years? Bots are everywhere.

Is this really worth arguing over again?

Botting has nothing to do with lan/online only. There have already been bots in the D3 beta. Many geographical locations don't offer good internet services, or any at all, guess those people should just move huh? People in the military like to play games in their downtime, sucks they won't be able to play D3. People who can't afford top notch connections are pretty much shut off from HC, and even then. There are many counters to what you are saying. The reason all blizzard games from now on will be online only is Bnet 2.0, and has pretty much nothing to do with the game itself.

There is no point defending Blizzard. The dev teams for their games don't even get a say in if it's online only, and of course are asked to support it.

Kal

Smash Champion
It really surprises me how many people will jump in defense of Blizzard when they are essentially just trying to abridge your rights as a consumer. It seems totally ***-backwards to me that people are so willing to give up their rights so that someone else can turn a profit.

"It doesn't bother me that much," is one thing. But actually defending Blizzard for outright mistreating its customers? Cut me a break.

Kal

Smash Champion
We want the customer to have it their way. HERP

I just want to wake up next to guys for that homoerotic awkward silence. If you haven't seen the commercials, this joke will make less sense.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Well, I mentioned only the two of you because not every consumer feels the same way. :awesome:

I'm kinda ambivalent on the matter myself. I have strong beliefs that services and goods should be protected from exploitation, but at the same time, where exactly do you draw the line? Once the finished product is in somebody's possession, what can you really say or do to dictate how it's used?

I'm not so much in disagreement here as I am probing this nebulous area in my brain; essentially, thinking out loud.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, I would suggest first reading this post, so that you can begin to see the difference between a tangible product a digital one, and how protecting digital goods from exploitation is a very difficult to define notion with a very slippery slope.

In fact, your latter question about where to draw the line brings up an important point. Companies are putting "don't copy" rules in End User License Agreements. You're going to tell me that, because the creator says so, I can't copy something I rightfully paid for? Nonsense.

Also this.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, I mentioned only the two of you because not every consumer feels the same way. :awesome:

I'm kinda ambivalent on the matter myself. I have strong beliefs that services and goods should be protected from exploitation, but at the same time, where exactly do you draw the line? Once the finished product is in somebody's possession, what can you really say or do to dictate how it's used?

I'm not so much in disagreement here as I am probing this nebulous area in my brain; essentially, thinking out loud.

Smooth Criminal
Why do you keep typing your name after every post?

Kal

Smash Champion
Because you've been hit by

you've been struck by

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Why do you keep typing your name after every post?
Because I can.

And, yeah, I followed that thread when it was active Kal. Like, a looooong time ago. I'm aware of the difference.

Like I said, I was thinking out loud. I didn't have any real grounds for debate.

Smooth Criminal

Jem.

Smash Master
Im not saying it stops it, but in theory, isn't it easier to hack it if you have access to all the coding and stuff in single player? Doesnt online complicate that? In a perfect world, sure SC2 has LAN (the bigger problem than D3 not having single player by FAR) and D3 has single player, but is there anyone that thinks its equally as easy to hack when blizzard has all the server control compared to someone getting to toy around with the single player/files?

But I mean, for real, if you dont have a solid internet connection by 2012, I feel that is the beholders problem lol

Kal

Smash Champion
It did not take very long for people to find workarounds for the DRM in Starcraft II, and people have already gotten past the login screen for the Diablo 3 beta sans a valid account. Whether or not it's online-only will have virtually no impact on how easily things are hacked.

The point, however, is that we have rights as consumers, and the fact that Blizzard's bottom-line increases when they abridge those rights does not justify what they're doing.

Lovage

Smash Hero
It really surprises me how many people will jump in defense of Blizzard when they are essentially just trying to abridge your rights as a consumer. It seems totally ***-backwards to me that people are so willing to give up their rights so that someone else can turn a profit.

"It doesn't bother me that much," is one thing. But actually defending Blizzard for outright mistreating its customers? Cut me a break.
dude come on it's a ****ing video game lol, this isn't some fking amendment rofl

it def. doesn't bother any of us as much as it does you, and anyone "defending blizzard" is just defending them as a game-maker cuz we all think diablo is gonna be filthy.

Kal

Smash Champion
If your account ever gets banned for no reason and you're out a $60 game you paid for because of a stupid End User License Agreement you won't bother reading, and you realize that they have every power to do this to you because you're not going to be able to afford legal representation against a huge company like Blizzard, I hope you remember "it's a ****ing video game lol."

Player-3

Smash Hero
one of my friends is a lawyer and he's told me that some people in the business are starting to think that the argument "nobody ever reads the EULA's online" is starting to actually hold ground in court rofl

i thought that was interesting

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, a more accurate version is "you are forced to accept the EULA in order to use a product for which you have already paid." Combine that with the fact that it's not practical to expect your customers to read a EULA for each digital item they ever purchase, and there is actually a potentially sound legal argument against EULAs.

Also, as this explains, some courts consider EULAs to be contracts of adhesion or unconscionable. I can't elaborate much on the legal issues, though, as I am not a lawyer.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
LoL (and if I recall, WoW to an extent) forces you to re-accept their EULA literally every patch. It's pretty ridiculous.

Also I assume "filthy" is slang for "good" lol

Jem.

Smash Master
You have the right to single player? Lol..

Easy solution: Make your game so that no one else can join.

If you dont have internet in 2012 thats your problem LOL offline single player isn't a right

50 download 10 upload internet for lifeee<3

Jem.

Smash Master
Thanks dude!

Also, I dont really care about having to accept a EULA that says everything is property of Blizzard, because if it is on their servers it is. And if you arent an idiot you shouldnt be getting banned or anything. My account got hacked a year ago which caused me to get banned, and I noticed longgg after it happened. (My gear on all my characters were stripped, etc) I hadn't even played in a year and didn't have interest in playing, but seeing that I was banned I was thinking well, let's just get this fixed, you never know. I open up a ticket, and within 10 minutes, Blizzard gives me all my stuff back and unbans me.

Blizzard A++++

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Anyways, you guys all suck. This games gonna be awesome. Less arguing more hype. FIVE DAYS!!!!!

Kal

Smash Champion
Thanks dude!

Also, I dont really care about having to accept a EULA that says everything is property of Blizzard, because if it is on their servers it is.
The point is the lack of security. You don't own anything you've paid for. So what's the $60 for? To rent an account from Blizzard as long as they have decided they want to let you use it?

And if you arent an idiot you shouldnt be getting banned or anything.
This is completely untrue. A while back, some WoW player got sent an uber item in the mail from a Blizzard GM. While raiding with his guild, he used it to finish end game content way ahead of schedule. What ended happening? He, and the rest of his guild, all got their accounts banned. Was the guy using the item an idiot? Perhaps. But the rest of his guild had no idea what was going on.

Similarly, some people discovered a hack in Diablo II that allowed you to reopen chests multiple times. This allowed them to find gear at an unreasonable speed. Blizzard ended up banning those hackers, sure. They also banned the people in the games with those hackers, even though most of them had no idea what was going on, and very few were even hacking at all. "Too bad you were doing a cow run when one of those *******es decided to join your game. Go buy another Diablo II Battle Chest, sucker."

So basically, you are an idiot if you think Blizzard is going to be fair and reasonable about how they handle your account.

It's also totally irrelevant. You shouldn't have to worry about following a EULA you won't read in order to avoid losing access to your $60 game. It doesn't matter whether it's easy to avoid losing access to your account.

My account got hacked a year ago which caused me to get banned, and I noticed longgg after it happened. (My gear on all my characters were stripped, etc) I hadn't even played in a year and didn't have interest in playing, but seeing that I was banned I was thinking well, let's just get this fixed, you never know. I open up a ticket, and within 10 minutes, Blizzard gives me all my stuff back and unbans me.
Hacking in WoW is a serious issue. If Blizzard didn't do this, it would lose a large proportion of its customer base, who would simply not want to return to WoW, period. Surely you remember them desperately trying to send authenticators out to everyone, to the point where they were selling them at cost just to try and resolve the problem? This wasn't an example of altruism. It was an example of good business sense.

In the end, I have no problem with not having a single player mode, necessarily. My issue is with the complete lack of security in the game I've purchased. That, on Blizzard's whim, they can cause me to lose access to World of Warcraft, Diablo III and Starcraft II all simultaneously, and I cannot do anything about it because I simply cannot afford legal representation against a company like Blizzard.

Again, it surprises me how quickly people will jump in defense of Blizzard instead of just acknowledging that something is problematic. Corporations lobby for ridiculous anti-piracy laws whose sole purpose is to infringe on individual liberties, and morons on the internet actually try to defend the corporations doing this. And gaming developers come up with ridiculous DRM schemes that do nothing but infringe on the rights of consumers, and people actually defend them. It's completely ridiculous. Are that many people that oblivious? Or do they really just not give a **** about anything? At the end of the day, people are defending the loss of their rights so that other people can turn a greater profit. It's ridiculous.

Jem.

Smash Master
Because your whining on the internet is going to do nothing. Why ruffle over it? You don't like something, do something about it. I'm fine with Blizzard, I've had no complications or problems and I used to sneak on my step dads computer to play Warcraft 1 and Starcraft long ago, and have loved Blizzard since. They're the only gaming company lately that is deserving enough to not get their games pirated

And yeahhhh ^_^ Diablo 3 wahoo if people wanna play let me knowwwwwwwwwz day 1 is just normal solo, but then after normal im rushing to Inferno ASAP which will require people!

Kal

Smash Champion
It's a ****ing forum. It's for discussion. Nothing we do here is going to do anything.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's a ****ing forum. It's for discussion. Nothing we do here is going to do anything.
Indeed I don't think anyone cares. Blizzard has always delivered their **** properly and they did it well, we just want to grind for hours on end to get gear and stuff or just play with our friends, that's all that matters. All the fine print stuff doesn't really matter, you should just abide by blizzard's rules, it's pretty easy to do.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've given examples where doing nothing wrong and abiding by the rules has gotten people banned. And this obvservation you've made is still missing the point. Anyway, I don't care if people agree or if people care. I'm just stating my opinion. If you don't want to argue, it's easy enough to not engage me in a discussion.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well now I'm even angrier, GwJumpman. Just saiyan.

Kal

Smash Champion
Actually that might be a picture of Goku dying. I don't really remember the show that well. It kind of all blends together.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've given examples where doing nothing wrong and abiding by the rules has gotten people banned. And this obvservation you've made is still missing the point. Anyway, I don't care if people agree or if people care. I'm just stating my opinion. If you don't want to argue, it's easy enough to not engage me in a discussion.
Not really I understand your point it's just that there's nothing you can do about it. I have gotten hacked once but they give me all my stuff back as well. Blizzard <3 =)

Top Bottom